2024 NASCAR thread

Scraps

I figured we might as well catch up to the current year since the last thread made was 2022.  

5 ep Nascar show dropped on Netflix today.  I watched the first episode and it was entertaining enough. 

https://www.netflix.com/title/81700869

I think the clash at the coliseum is dumb as fuck, but that is happening this weekend.  A little over 2 weeks from Daytona!

Edited by Scraps

• Scraps changed the title to 2024 NASCAR thread
  • 2 weeks later...

Order for tonight 

* denotes driver that is not locked into the field for the Daytona 500

• Carson Hocevar, No. 77 Spire Motorsports Chevrolet
  • Anthony Alfredo, No. 62 Beard Motorsports Chevrolet*
  • Zane Smith, No. 71 Spire Motorsports Chevrolet
  • Ryan Preece, No. 41 Stewart-Haas Racing Ford
  • Justin Haley, No. 51 Rick Ware Racing Ford
  • David Ragan, No. 60 RFK Racing Ford*
  • AJ Allmendinger, No. 16 Kaulig Racing Chevrolet
  • B.J. McLeod, No. 78 Live Fast Motorsports Chevrolet*
  • John Hunter Nemechek, No. 42 Legacy Motor Club Toyota
  • Riley Herbst, No. 15 Rick Ware Racing Ford
  • Austin Dillon, No. 3 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet
  • Driver TBA, No. 44 NY Racing Team Chevrolet*
  • Daniel Hemric, No. 31 Kaulig Racing Chevrolet
  • Noah Gragson, No. 10 Stewart-Haas Ford
  • Corey LaJoie, No. 7 Spire Motorsports Chevrolet
  • Chase Briscoe, No. 14 Stewart-Haas Racing Ford
  • Kaz Grala, No. 36 Front Row Motorsports Ford*
  • Harrison Burton, No. 21 Wood Brothers Racing Ford
  • Todd Gilliland, No. 38 Front Row Motorsports Ford
  • Austin Cindric, No. 2 Team Penske Ford
  • Jimmie Johnson, No. 84 Legacy Motor Club Toyota*
  • Erik Jones, No. 43 Legacy Motor Club Toyota
  • Denny Hamlin, No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota
  • Josh Berry, No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing Ford
  • Brad Keselowski, No. 6 RFK Racing Ford
  • Ricky Stenhouse Jr., No. 47 JTG Daugherty Racing Chevrolet
  • Ryan Blaney, No. 12 Team Penske Ford
  • Kyle Larson, No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet
  • Joey Logano, No. 22 Team Penske Ford
  • William Byron, No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet
  • Tyler Reddick, No. 45 23XI Racing Toyota
  • Christopher Bell, No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota
  • Alex Bowman, No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet
  • Ty Gibbs, No. 54 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota
  • Kyle Busch, No. 8 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet
  • Chase Elliott, No. 9 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet
  • Ross Chastain, No. 1 Trackhouse Racing Chevrolet
  • Chis Buescher, No. 17 RFK Racing Ford
  • Martin Truex Jr., No. 19 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota
  • Michael McDowell, No. 34 Front Row Motorsports Ford
  • Daniel Suarez, No. 99 Trackhouse Racing Chevrolet
  • Bubba Wallace, 23XI Racing Toyota

Not to try and start fights here lol but I was curious who everyones driver is, or team or manufacturer whatever you want to divulge

I am probably in the minority here(no pun intended) but mine is 23XI. Then of course I root for other Toyota drivers(gibbs guys, and i guess now Jones and JHN) after that.

I have always kind of been a Hendricks fan because of Jeff Gordon in the 24.

That season when he kept winning races it caught my attention. Plus it was right around the time TMS opened.

I really was not into NASCAR until then. I always watched the Daytona 500 but not many other races before that.

Then I went to the race in the second season of TMS and became totally hooked.

I like Kyle Busch too because that mother fucker just wants to win. He is always pissed off if he comes in second. I kind of like that attitude.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah I have never been to a race and want to make it to one these upcoming years, but I think I want to make my first one a massive one so would probably end up going to Daytona for the whole Wed-Sun shit.  

COTA would be easiest, but I am not a huge road course fan.  Should probably just go up to TMS.  

The aggy wife is a Truex fan.  After Tony retired, I've sorta gravitated towards Kyle Larson.  I like the fact that he'll get behind the wheel of anything. 

7 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I have always kind of been a Hendricks fan because of Jeff Gordon in the 24.

That season when he kept winning races it caught my attention. Plus it was right around the time TMS opened.

I really was not into NASCAR until then. I always watched the Daytona 500 but not many other races before that.

Then I went to the race in the second season of TMS and became totally hooked.

I like Kyle Busch too because that mother fucker just wants to win. He is always pissed off if he comes in second. I kind of like that attitude.

Don't sell the short tracks short.  They are much better to watch in person.  My personal fave is Darlington.  I've been to most everything on the East and South.  

Edited by Bevo&Pevo

14 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

The aggy wife is a Truex fan.  After Tony retired, I've sorta gravitated towards Kyle Larson.  I like the fact that he'll get behind the wheel of anything. 

Don't sell the short tracks short.  They are much better to watch in person.  My personal fave is Darlington.  I've been to most everything on the East and South.  

Bristol is definitely on my bucket list.

8 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Bristol is definitely on my bucket list.

^^ No matter where you go, always sit at least one section away from the track.  This will keep your side of face from being sandblasted off.  Rent a scanner for your fave driver.  Earplugs for the little ones.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I listen to the scanner during the race and never fails they go to commercial like right when teams are about to start pitting and shit

Bunch of Toyotas just pitted and somehow they weren’t at commercial.   They seem to be actually covering this last round of stops.

On 2/14/2024 at 7:07 PM, Scraps said:

Not to try and start fights here lol but I was curious who everyones driver is, or team or manufacturer whatever you want to divulge

I am probably in the minority here(no pun intended) but mine is 23XI. Then of course I root for other Toyota drivers(gibbs guys, and i guess now Jones and JHN) after that.

I’ve always been a Ford guy.

I’ve known Ryan Blaney, and his family, for 30 years, so I was happy for him last season.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

None of these idiots are scared of crashing anymore. Safer barriers, etc. I was wondering what happened to Busch. He knew this shit was coming. 

Yeah anyone could see that shit coming. 

10 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That ending is pretty much why I can’t watch too much NASCAR anymore. I’m glad they mention how good of a night the Chevys had, after they took out the Fords. I don’t like the stages. It’s hard to watch.

Pack racing is so stupid, but I guess it's what NASCAR wants. I see some people on other forums saying this is all on the drivers, but the drivers aren't driving in a pack because that's what they want to do. When the cars can't separate and spread out, you end up with pack racing no matter what the drivers do. Then, even if everyone tries to do everything right, it'll still typically end up in a big one. It wasn't always like this, and the drivers back then were every bit as aggressive as these guys are.  Everyone who was paying attention could see this coming. We see it over and over and over.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah anyone could see that shit coming. 

Pack racing is so stupid, but I guess it's what NASCAR wants. I see some people on other forums saying this is all on the drivers, but the drivers aren't driving in a pack because that's what they want to do. When the cars can't separate and spread out, you end up with pack racing no matter what the drivers do. Then, even if everyone tries to do everything right, it'll still typically end up in a big one. It wasn't always like this, and the drivers back then were every bit as aggressive as these guys are.  Everyone who was paying attention could see this coming. We see it over and over and over.

Phil Hartman Yes GIF

• Haha 2

^LOL. And yeah, this is why I rarely watch NASCAR for going on 30 years now, after being a huge fan the first half of my life. I just have no interest in watching a huge pack of cars circulate for 3-4 hours, all going the same speed, bumper to bumper, waiting for a big one. I want to see the best teams and drivers be able to separate from the rest and see the differences between all the cars' performance levels. This shit is a lottery.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That ending is pretty much why I can’t watch too much NASCAR anymore. I’m glad they mention how good of a night the Chevys had, after they took out the Fords. I don’t like the stages. It’s hard to watch.

Stopping/yellow for the stages seems ridiculous. You remove the strategy of some drives going for the stage, and some going for the win. Probably doesn't matter at Daytona but does everywhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't mind super speedway racing, but I fully understand these dudes arent really racing for like 90% of the laps. Driving around at 60% to save gas.

Not sure the fix.... have some penalty for guys going under a specific % of throttle for extended period of time? Not sure that is realistic at all

At least the stage break makes them race the last 2-3 laps

One way to do it is for the big super speedways to have their banking lowered, creating a flatter track that requires some lifting or even braking in the corners, allowing the cars to separate from each other. That, of course, will never happen.

On the car side of things, I'm not sure penalites for coasting will help much. I think there would still be pack racing. I think they need to take away enough aero and mechanical grip on the cars, and up the power a bit, so that they have to lift for the turns. Even in the mid-1980s, they had to lift in the corners because of too much straightline speed and not enough tire or aero to handle cornering that fast.

Basically until you can find a way to make the drivers have to lift for the turns, you'll get pack racing, even without restrictor plates, ECU restrictions, etc (and obviously Cup cars haven't actually used plates for a few years). I was told It was the 2000 Truck race at Daytona that inspired the late 2000-2001 Cup aero package. Granted, the Truck series didn't run plates at Daytona or Talledega until after 2006 iirc, but still had pack racing leading up to that time - due to a ton of downforce and drag (ie as aerodynamic as a brick and running in 2000 9:1 compression engines).

Denny said on his podcast they need to alter the spoilers on these new cars because of the drag.  He talked about the cars and style in depth in this weeks podcast, so even if you hate him it is worth a listen just to hear his thoughts on it.  

One of his cohosts asked if giving teams smaller gas cans (not tanks) would change anything so they can't run as long and force pit stops 

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 1