NBA talk for old heads

closetohumping

27 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

He fell off pretty hard after '08 that's for sure. 

I guess I just remembered his best years being the title years because Detroit wasn't much of a factor after that. They didn't win a playoff series after CHI swept them in '91. He put up some points and made a couple all-star games and some all-NBA and all-dedense teams but his assist numbers were awful and his shooting numbers weren't as good (and the team wasn't as good).

He certainly wasn't as good as Drexler in '91 or '92. 

And when I say "remembered" I mean just based on my historical knowledge of the game. I never watched him play. 

Edited by ztejas

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

I guess I just remembered his best years being the title years because Detroit wasn't much of a factor after that. They didn't win a playoff series after CHI swept them in '91. He put up some points and made a couple all-star games and some all-NBA and all-dedense teams but his assist numbers were awful and his shooting numbers weren't as good (and the team wasn't as good).

He certainly wasn't as good as Drexler in '91 or '92. 

And when I say "remembered" I mean just based on my historical knowledge of the game. I never watched him play. 

My comment was more in regards to his GM/President tenure. Instead of embracing the rebuild he...traded for AI and signed Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva iirc.

I do remember Joe being pretty damn good in the early to mid 90s, after Isiah retired. I remember that signature step back 3 off the dribble. 

Clyde is probably the right answer.

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Kendal Gill

On the original NBA Jam along with Grandmama. 

Edited by slorch

11 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I think MJ said Dumars was his toughest defender 

im kind of sad for Clyde.  He was an mj clone physically.  

Dumars was fantastic. Knock down shooter, all league defender, and clutch. Really smart player. He was just about the only likeable guy on the Bad Boy Pistons. If I had to pick any shooting guard other than Jordan for one game during that era, I'd probably take him. Other guys had better careers, but Dumars was just so solid.

Drexler was a physical marvel but just didn't have it mentally. Jordan completely mindfucked him at the Olympics. Maybe I would have liked Clyde more if he ever learned how to dribble without looking at the ball. 

It's kind of amazing that during Jordan's prime, there really weren't very many great two guards around the league. Richmond was also really good. Sprewell had a short run where he was a beast. Reggie Miler was annoying but also really good. He would be amazing in today's game.

17 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I think MJ said Dumars was his toughest defender 

im kind of sad for Clyde.  He was an mj clone physically.  

Don’t be sad for Clyde. He had a shot at dethroning MJ and couldn’t do it. Neither could anyone else. No shame in that. 

7 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Dumars was fantastic. Knock down shooter, all league defender, and clutch. Really smart player. He was just about the only likeable guy on the Bad Boy Pistons. If I had to pick any shooting guard other than Jordan for one game during that era, I'd probably take him. Other guys had better careers, but Dumars was just so solid.

Drexler was a physical marvel but just didn't have it mentally. Jordan completely mindfucked him at the Olympics. Maybe I would have liked Clyde more if he ever learned how to dribble without looking at the ball. 

It's kind of amazing that during Jordan's prime, there really weren't very many great two guards around the league. Richmond was also really good. Sprewell had a short run where he was a beast. Reggie Miler was annoying but also really good. He would be amazing in today's game.

What did mj do to him?

another that was a great athlete was JR Rider