Top Chef - Wisconsin

Biff Tannen

46 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I am one of those and I agree.  However, an opinion of "the show is just terrible" week after week isn't really contributing anything to the discussion.  

Well, we just finished week 8 and you bitched about me saying it sucks, so if that's directed at me, I've posted twice in the entire thread that the show is terrible this season. Apparently counting isn't your strong suit. 

On 4/25/2024 at 1:11 PM, Deej said:

This show gets worse and worse. 

On 5/9/2024 at 7:46 AM, Deej said:

This show is so stale. 

Week after week. lulz

Posted (edited)

LCK. Wow.

Spoiler

Is there anything more pathetic than a "competitor" who quits when they know they can't win.  Shows zero respect for the competition and your fellow competitors. Kaleena knew she was mid so she "listened to her heart". Eye fucking roll. No chance she would have quit had her team won RW. Complete horseshit from a mentally weak poor sport.

Edited by Herpa Derpa

5 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

LCK. Wow.

Reveal hidden contents

Is there anything more pathetic than a "competitor" who quits when they know they can't win.  Shows zero respect for the competition and your fellow competitors. Kaleena knew she was mid so she "listened to her heart". Eye fucking roll. No chance she would have quit had her team won RW. Complete horseshit from a mentally weak poor sport.

I don't watch LCK, but....

Spoiler

Kaleena quitting doesn't surprise me.  She's thought she was hot shit since the get go, and I was happy she was cut the first time.  I was disappointed when she came back with Soo.  But having 2 people quit in LCK this season tells you the character of the chefs chosen.

4 hours ago, DixonHur said:

I don't watch LCK, but....

Reveal hidden contents

Kaleena quitting doesn't surprise me.  She's thought she was hot shit since the get go, and I was happy she was cut the first time.  I was disappointed when she came back with Soo.  But having 2 people quit in LCK this season tells you the character of the chefs chosen.

Unbelievable.  And the right person was eliminated for Restaurant Wars.  Not a nice person.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Tom would like to shoot all these chefs. They were all totally mystified by the NA ingredients and tried to shoehorn their dishes into their limited cooking abilities. Manny is a douche; he cooks the same dish every meal

9 hours ago, WBT said:

The way they went crazy for Savannah's dessert makes me want to taste it.  Kristen described it as a mix of pumpkin pie and gingerbread which sounds really good.

Yep.  I also think Soo is the front runner right now.  He seems well suited for the on-the-fly creativity that this show requires.

Yep.  I also think Soo is the front runner right now.  He seems well suited for the on-the-fly creativity that this show requires.

I think Soo was perfect for QuickFire style cooking in LCK. That might not translate completely to the regular show, especially team challenges. I’m rooting for either him or Michelle. The rest are shitballs.

Part of the issue of the show now is the time requirement for participating. It limits the chefs they can recruit. I think they make a change to the old Top Chef Masters format which greatly reduces the time commitment which would attract better chefs. So 4 chefs are in a bracket, cooks two or three challenges, winner moves on to next bracket. Takes one or two days commitment.

6 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

I think Soo was perfect for QuickFire style cooking in LCK. That might not translate completely to the regular show, especially team challenges. I’m rooting for either him or Michelle. The rest are shitballs.

Part of the issue of the show now is the time requirement for participating. It limits the chefs they can recruit. I think they make a change to the old Top Chef Masters format which greatly reduces the time commitment which would attract better chefs. So 4 chefs are in a bracket, cooks two or three challenges, winner moves on to next bracket. Takes one or two days commitment.

Eh, I’m not a fan of the bracket type shows. The mental part of top chef has always been one of the more interesting parts to me. It takes a lot of mental strength and endurance to go all the way to the end. 

Eh, I’m not a fan of the bracket type shows. The mental part of top chef has always been one of the more interesting parts to me. It takes a lot of mental strength and endurance to go all the way to the end. 

The only way they got chefs in masters like Rick bayless and Hubert Keller was the minimal time commitment of the brackets.

There’s a trade off with the current format. For every Buddha or Voltaggio or Izard you’re going to get a lot of frogs, like this Wisconsin crew.

I believe LCK is an advantage for a lot of the chefs sent there. Quick fast cooking, avoiding those grueling two day festivals,
And getting a load of one on one time with Tom can’t hurt.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/19/2024 at 8:07 PM, Okie State said:

Having a hard time getting into this season. I find myself tuning out before the end of each episode.

its been a pretty boring season,  but that's wisconsin for you.   you kind of knew going into it this was going to be a stretch - beer, cheese, bar snacks.  this is not a good food destination.  the chefs are having a hard time with it, but the producers are having just as difficult a time coming up with decent challenges.  i would have saved the cranberries for a new england season (which i hope they think of soon).  

i dont think the chefs are that bad.  a lot of talent.  they're just young, theyre no masters or allstars but all decent chefs putting out good food.

13 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

its been a pretty boring season,  but that's wisconsin for you.   you kind of knew going into it this was going to be a stretch - beer, cheese, bar snacks.  this is not a good food destination.  the chefs are having a hard time with it, but the producers are having just as difficult a time coming up with decent challenges.  i would have saved the cranberries for a new england season (which i hope they think of soon).  

i dont think the chefs are that bad.  a lot of talent.  they're just young, theyre no masters or allstars but all decent chefs putting out good food.

Wait there hasn’t been a top chef Boston or some shit?

13 hours ago, Deej said:

That would be Season 12, Boston. They had a cranberry challenge then. This show has run out of ideas.

i'm sure i watched it but dont recall that season at all. just googled all the locations for all the seasons and seems like they've covered them all (except maybe new mexico).  no wonder they picked wisconsin.   whats next, iowa?  I think the blandness of wisconsin, coupled with the missing padma was a double whammy.  kristen hasnt done a terrible job though.  homeboy might win this thing.  he started out shaky but is hitting his stride at the right time.

5 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

i'm sure i watched it but dont recall that season at all. just googled all the locations for all the seasons and seems like they've covered them all (except maybe new mexico).  no wonder they picked wisconsin.   whats next, iowa?  I think the blandness of wisconsin, coupled with the missing padma was a double whammy.  kristen hasnt done a terrible job though.  homeboy might win this thing.  he started out shaky but is hitting his stride at the right time.

Yep. Dont even remember that season. Maybe I was in Nam!   Or it was as forgettable as this one

I’d pick Nashville or Minneapolis before Wisconsin

Edited by closetohumping

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yep. Dont even remember that season. Maybe I was in Nam!   Or it was as forgettable as this one

Most forgettable season to me was DC.  I don't count seasons 1 or 2 because it was still an experiment.  Season 3 is when it hit its stride.  Maybe not fair to DC, coming off of Las Vegas, but Kevin was one of the least inspiring winners.  

8 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

Just like last week's episode, they had a cranberry quickfire followed by an elimination challenge requiring cooking with only indigenous ingredients. 

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Most forgettable season to me was DC.  I don't count seasons 1 or 2 because it was still an experiment.  Season 3 is when it hit its stride.  Maybe not fair to DC, coming off of Las Vegas, but Kevin was one of the least inspiring winners.  

I remember that one. I was living in dc then.  It had Tiffany derry and Sosa.    You’re right.  Not a great one

I’d pick Nashville or Minneapolis before Wisconsin

That’s the problem. The show runs on funding from cities. It’s why Houston had so much of the season outside of Houston. If Pocahontas, Arkansas paid enough money the show would go there. They are also political so it’s unlikely they go back to Florida, and they nearly scratched Houston. No way they go to Tennessee and likely no more New Orleans. The location has been less and less a part of the show for years. One Wisconsin chef. Too frequent reaches for tie ins to movies and other shows like the awful chaos show with fuckwit Matty matheson (with the far superior Christina Tosi relegated to a QF. ).
  • Hook 'Em 2