Top Chef - Wisconsin

Biff Tannen

4 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Gail is a GOAT. 

I don’t know why but I left it on for the after show with Andy Cohen and Tom and Gail said the dude with the hat this season was the one of the worse people ever on the show. 

And Gail said Bryan was the best Voltaggio. Tom took the 5th. 

Posted (edited)

The Door County Fish Boil is one of the most unappetizing regional food traditions I’ve encountered. And who thought that a kerosene flambé was a good idea. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The Door County Fish Boil is one of the most unappetizing regional food traditions I’ve encountered. And who thought that a kerosene flambé was a good idea. 

Yeah, you will find a lot of Wisconsin people who think they are disgusting.  My in-laws have been to them and said everything tastes faintly of kerosene.

That might have been the worst regional specialty dish I’ve ever seen. I’m always seeking out these oddball regional things and have never heard of this, and I used to have friends in Madison and Milwaukee and they loved the beer/sausage/supper club/ cheese stuff and I never heerd of fish boil.

I would imagine Tom and Gail read the producers the riot act about it. They looked appalled, especially the kerosene flying into the pots. That king of fish boil guy looked like he only liked the fire throwing part. Boiled white fish, plain potatoes, kerosene. Hospital bland diets looked better.

Manny is that guy that somehow stays in by making the next to last dish every week. Sorry manny but guac and store chips aren’t a side.

You have to wonder if prime years playboy could have enticed Gail and Padma for a pictorial.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

There's gonna have to be massive changes to the show next season, or I think it will be Tom's last.  

His frustration jumps off the screen.

Also, am I the only one underwhelmed by Kristen?  

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

It's a Norwegian thing.  A lot of them settled in Wisconsin back in the day.  There's a reason Norwegian cuisine is not popular.

I told my wife, “that is the most midwestern Scandinavian meal I could ever conceive of.”  

28 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

There's gonna have to be massive changes to the show next season, or I think it will be Tom's last.  

No. 

She needs to stop the forward shoulder slump, too. Own being tall and thin. 

10 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The Door County Fish Boil is one of the most unappetizing regional food traditions I’ve encountered.

Never been to the aggy pool party bbq, I take it. 

• Haha 1

The issue isn’t Wisconsin. It’s production and casting. The cooking has been better in LCK than the show. These are fairly weak chefs; they make a lot of dumb decisions and stupid mistakes.
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, DixonHur said:

I prefer Padma.  Kristen doesn’t really work on this show for some reason. Easy to root for but meh

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Manny is the most one note chef to be on here in years. Most cooks on your typical taco truck have more range than he does.

The charismatic Italian dude who only cooked pasta or Jamie the scallop queen.  Manny makes a variation of the same thing it seems like in every challenge.

• Hook 'Em 1

I prefer Padma.  Kristen doesn’t really work on this show for some reason. Easy to root for but meh

Padma chose to leave and ain’t coming back; she was bored with the show for years. Kish has done well for her first season. I think having a 2nd chef, and importantly a winner that came thru LCK, on the judging panel is good.

The show needs serious tweaking as it’s almost a parody of itself. We’ve rewatched all the past seasons as well as the various spinoff series and they are so much better in terms of talent and production. It’s not just TC though. The talent collected for Next Iron Chef and Next FN Star was better too.

Posted (edited)

I like Kristen, I don't think there is much of a dropoff from Padme.

But...This is the worst season they have done and it's not particularly close.  I'm usually pretty entertained even when they have a down year, but I am finding it hard to enjoy this shit show. 

Edited by Chips O'Toole
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

I like Kristen, I don't think there is much of a dropoff from her to Padme.

The biggest differences for me are that Padma had a real point of view and much more swagger.  

Perhaps it's just because it's her first season but Kristen just seems to lack confidence, like she still doesn't think she belongs, so she just agrees with what the other judges without adding much to the equation.

The guest judges have more input than she does.

Posted (edited)

I think she's very shy in real life. I have a friend who has met her a few times, the last being at a conference a week or two ago.  She said she turned down being a contestant on Top Chef a few times before she did it because she was super nervous about being on tv.

Edited by kevwun

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think she's very shy in real life. I have a friend who has met her a few times, the last being at a conference a week or two ago.  She said she turned down being a contestant on Top Chef a few times before she did it because she was super nervous about being on tv.

I can see that.  

The biggest differences for me are that Padma had a real point of view and much more swagger.  
Perhaps it's just because it's her first season but Kristen just seems to lack confidence, like she still doesn't think she belongs, so she just agrees with what the other judges without adding much to the equation.
The guest judges have more input than she does.

I think she will get her sea legs on this show. She has a limited series on Netflix that is a global travelogue Bourdainy type show and she was great in it. Remember it took a while for Tom, Padma, and Gail to get in sync. Kristen’s performance also depends on them adapting as well.

She was adopted from Korea and was a model before cheffing. Shes had to assert herself as a Korean in Michigan, a lesbian in a traditional home, and a chef where career expectations were different. She’ll get there.

The show needs tweaking though. The runners suck.

So they brought in that flock of TC talent only to take them to a fish boil. Flew talent like Shota and Mei Lin in just to feed them kerosene soup. No question that event should be the Waterloo of this production crew and they should be fucking fired.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I wonder how much each chef gets for inserting product placements into normal conversation.

“What a tough judges table! I’m having a High Life!” “I do love a Mountain Dew when I make escargot!” “When I finally lose I can’t wait to get caught up on “Real Housewives of Waco…Tuesdays at 9 eastern, 8 central only on Bravo!”

9 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

ken jennings says hi

Not sure that's a good comp since they literally tried out several hosts and he ended up being the last one standing.

He also has an Emmy nomination.  

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Not sure that's a good comp since they literally tried out several hosts and he ended up being the last one standing.

He also has an Emmy nomination.  

he was the first choice but wasnt sure he wanted to do it.

I've been avoiding this thread because I started watching this season a week ago.  I'm caught up now and don't understand all of the hate. 

Those of you who think this is the worst season with the least talented chefs have short memories.  No, there isn't a Buddha this season, but there usually isn't.  This also isn't an all-star season, so there are going to be some really good chefs who discover that competition cooking is a different animal, and requires a unique skill set.  There are always a couple of chefs who dominate early then unexpectedly go home because they had bad weeks.  There's also usually a chef who lasts longer than they should (I'm looking at you, Manny).  And there are those whose comfort and confidence slowly grow as the season progresses (Savannah).  Feels like Top Chef to me, and that's a good thing.  

I really like Kristen as the host.  She has a fresh authentic energy, and adds a perspective that has been lacking aside from occasional guest judge spots by previous contestants.  Her role feels bigger than when Padma was doing it, likely because she isn't burned out.  

Danny is the obvious favorite at this point, but anyone not named Manny has a shot.  Dan and Savannah are hitting their strides at the right time.  Michelle has done very well, and very poorly.  If she can avoid making bad decisions, she has a chance.  Manny should have packed his knives weeks ago.     

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Agreed on Manny should have been gone a long time ago. Confidence and flavors really count. Amanda needed to go when she did I was thinking she was going to do a tataki everything. 

I do think people panic and forget why they were chosen. I think Dan will put on an amazing final meal. I just have that feeling.

the rest of the cheftestants left have a shot but I lean the most towards Dan, Danny and Laura as final 3.

Like lean into what you are good at. I guess. I am enjoying this season. I feel like I learn a lot from it as far as ideas on things to make and do. Jmo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dan and Danny in the finale.

I really want Dan to win. I think he will have a ridiculous meal. Some of the stuff he makes is next level and I loved his reaction to the fish boil. He was like fuck no. Awesomeness. Or his reaction to Manny with the porridge.

why is Manny still there? I mean why? I get that the ones not in the final three are all cannon fodder as far as the show but how many times is he on the chopping block with shit food. 

Manny is a fucking moron. 

"Is it a porridge?" 

They should have sent him home right then. 

Sorry about your health issues, Dan, but lose the stupid backward cap and the blue glasses