2024 Crawfish Season (or lack thereof)

I don't see anyone stopping you.....but they probably DO go on another sub-board....

There is something weird going on. I can post pics of crawfish, but not a photo of a 5x7 poster of 5 naked chicks laying in a bed with their hands covering each others nipples and bushes.

C. Boudreaux makes the best crawfish I've ever had, and the family grew rice and crawfish for generations before they figured out there was way more money in petroleum.

Anyway, the key is that each sack gets steamed - not boiled- that big pot holds no more than 4 inches of water, and the meshed basket sits mostly on top of the water. And it really doesn't matter how you season the water, because a quart of vinegar, a quart of lemon juice, a quart of minced garlic, a pound of butter, and the cajun seasoning dust gets dumped on top of the crawfish right after cooking. Then you shake the cooler every 5 minutes while resting the bugs for 20 minutes before eating.

It's unlike any restaurant crawfish. 11 adults ate 3 sacks and I was so freaking full.

• Hook 'Em 1

C. Boudreaux makes the best crawfish I've ever had, and the family grew rice and crawfish for generations before they figured out there was way more money in petroleum.

Anyway, the key is that each sack gets steamed - not boiled- that big pot holds no more than 4 inches of water, and the meshed basket sits mostly on top of the water. And it really doesn't matter how you season the water, because a quart of vinegar, a quart of lemon juice, a quart of minced garlic, a pound of butter, and the cajun seasoning dust gets dumped on top of the crawfish right after cooking. Then you shake the cooler every 5 minutes while resting the bugs for 20 minutes before eating.

It's unlike any restaurant crawfish. 11 adults ate 3 sacks and I was so freaking full.

I gotta tell ya…I HATE crawfish cooked that way. The meat is unseasoned. Completely unseasoned. No salty/spicy boiling water gets in there. It’s just seasoning on the outside of the shells. Imagine really liking banana with peanut butter, but you spread the PB on the outside of the peel. It don’t make no sense.

I’ve been eating them boiled in seasoned boil water for fiddy years, ima keep eating em that way.
  • Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

My ULL guys would shit their pants if I shared this with them. 

I gotta tell ya…I HATE crawfish cooked that way. The meat is unseasoned. Completely unseasoned. No salty/spicy boiling water gets in there. It’s just seasoning on the outside of the shells. Imagine really liking banana with peanut butter, but you spread the PB on the outside of the peel. It don’t make no sense.

I’ve been eating them boiled in seasoned boil water for fiddy years, ima keep eating em that way.

And I find boiled crawfish chewy, harder to peel, and overflavored. I don't hate them, in fact that's the way I always cooked them before marrying into their clan. And I'll still eat them without complaint anytime I get the chance.

But that was before the enlightenment.

The vinegar and lemon really soak into them during the 20-minute rest and accentuate the crawfish flavor. And they are so tender and almost fall out of the shells. And the claw meat comes out fat and intact.

But Im the same way with all my seafood, I'd rather eat “naked” grilled fish than blackened.

Boiling is easier at scale which is why it's popular for restaurants and events.

11 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

The cook is a ULL grad.

Oh I’m not questioning you. I believe it. But my ULL guys would probably have a stroke if they were served crawfish like that. 

I admire them doing something different. I’ve been to many traditional boils, and it just doesn’t do it for me. I’ll be polite and eat a few pounds.

My favorite place for crawfish is BB’s on White Oak. They use a shit ton of butter, garlic, and Tajin on their external seasoning. I’ll eat 5 pounds without batting an eye. Also they consistently have big mud bugs. 

Shoal Creek Saloon in Austin has pretty decent crawfish. Good seasoning but they are tiny compared to many places in Houston. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Finally getting to eat some crawfish for the first time in the year of our Lord 2024. Buddy of mine having a small boil tomorrow. Our mutual supplier that drives a refrigerated truck over from LA on the weekends is down to $3.75 for large mix. Still high, but comfortably in the realm of "tolerable" and there's usually very little dead loss or undersized mudbugs in his sacks.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Finally getting to eat some crawfish for the first time in the year of our Lord 2024. Buddy of mine having a small boil tomorrow. Our mutual supplier that drives a refrigerated truck over from LA on the weekends is down to $3.75 for large mix. Still high, but comfortably in the realm of "tolerable" and there's usually very little dead loss or undersized mudbugs in his sacks.

Man $3.75 seems like an absolute steal for THIS season, enjoy!

None of my friends that normally do boils are having them this year, for obvious reasons I suppose.  So II've hit up restaurants several times this season, paying outrageous sums, but don't care, had crawfish. 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, utee94 said:

So II've hit up restaurants several times this season, paying outrageous sums, but don't care, had crawfish. 

Exactly. I only eat them a few times a year and I don’t care what they cost. I’m talking to you, little man at the bar at the Cajun Greek giving me all sorts of grief about the cost. I don’t care. Had crawfish. 

Edited by Lat22

My department had a boil a couple weeks back. The molting/dead loss thing is for real, every other mudbug was rubbery. The seasoning was dialed in so I’ll give them credit for that. They mysteriously ran out of sausage very early in the boil. 

I’ll go to BB’s for lunch in early May and  call it a season. 

5 hours ago, immamac said:

Yeah just not worth it. 

We have some hardcore Lafayette guys at the top of my department. I think my company is just patronizing them at this point. A few thousand bucks to retain some key guys is nothing to them. 

Anybody that has worked with Louisiana natives will tell you they talk about 2 things: food and how the officials have it out for LSU. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

We have some hardcore Lafayette guys at the top of my department. I think my company is just patronizing them at this point. A few thousand bucks to retain some key guys is nothing to them. 

Anybody that has worked with Louisiana natives will tell you they talk about 2 things: food and how the officials have it out for LSU. 

I am surprised your Lafayette guys don’t hate the shit out of LSU. Obviously not true Ragin Cajuns

Our HEB had their boilers out and selling crawfish for $10/lb and head off shrimp for $12/lb this weekend.  Back of the napkin math, if we wanted 1.5 lbs of meat, I figured that might be 8lbs ($80) of crawfish or 2 pounds ($24) of shrimp?

We ended up doing about 1.5 lbs of Costco filets for $30.