Question for the Roofing Experts

I need a new roof due to a hail storm. I talk to some of the guys who knock on the door and others I don't, I work from home so it gives me time to get up. This last fella from out of town offered me some flavor of scam where they cover my deductible by means of an advertising credit. Yes a sign in my yard and referral to 5 friends gets me 1% of my homes value in credit. All on the up and up this guy says.

I go to the BBB and the company has been around since 2019, A+ rating, 1 complaint handled appropriately per the comments. Several 5 star comments clustered together, etc. 

So how does this scam work, I'm assuming my insurance company wants me to provide proof of deductible payment? How do they get around that? And practically speaking are these guys just saying F it lets get a quick buck and hope we don't get reported?

20 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I would recommend just sticking to a local company that has a good history 

Yes, that is what I'm going to do...but I'm wondering how this scam works in that it looks wholly illegal to me and this guy was just openly shopping the option as all on the up and up. 

You know you knock on every door and eventually you are going to hit that guy that may report you, and as I understand this is criminal. 

On 2/14/2024 at 4:21 PM, LW Goatman said:
Yes, that is what I'm going to do...but I'm wondering how this scam works in that it looks wholly illegal to me and this guy was just openly shopping the option as all on the up and up. 

You know you knock on every door and eventually you are going to hit that guy that may report you, and as I understand this is criminal. 

From 2019, Texas state law expressly prohibits this "advertising credit" stuff.
https://www.tdi.texas.gov/tips/tdi08072019.html
The law also specifies the exact text, font type & size that has to go on our contracts with this wording:

FOR ALL APPROVED INSURANCE CLAIMS, “Texas law requires a person insured under a property insurance policy
to pay any deductible applicable to a claim made under the policy. It is a violation of Texas law for a seller of
goods or services who reasonably expects to be paid wholly or partly from the proceeds of a property insurance
claim to knowingly allow the insured person to fail to pay, or assist the insured person ’s failure to pay, the
applicable insurance deductible.”

I have been out of commission with some sorta flu or covid this past week & would have responded sooner earlier had I seen this thread & the multiple referral tags.
I will send you a PM; we have completed a few Shag roofs in the past year (in addition to the many others over the +15 years of HF / Shag / Surly).  [mention=1107]gsoda3[/mention] , [mention=1671]dieucla98[/mention] are two recent projects.  As to the deductible, you are required to pay that however there are various upgrades & improvements we will do for your project & that all will depend on the specific possibilities for your project.

Edited by ROFL BOX

Didn’t ROFLBOX steal another poster’s truck? Whatever happened with that situation?

Let's get something straight & I do mean 100% accurate here:  I never "STOLE" any truck & after fully paying for the vehicle have NEVER received the title. 
This shit has to stop.
● Did I drive through some tolls?  Yes.
●● Have I been given a total for any of that? No.
○ ○ Keep in mind that if I had been able to register the truck in MY name (i.e. had the title) this would not be an issue.
. . . . . . .
• Was a parking citation issued (that I never knew about because apparently someone took the ticket off the truck windshield?) ALSO  Yes.
•• Have I been given a total for that? No.

☆ This bullshit about "theft" of the vehicle absolutely has to stop. ☆

1ee66dce7d2ecb8ac2165e307a6314ce.jpg

a8a05ece1a93e740c707bf59d275b93f.jpg

a82da284d88f8d2e046ee62f67f84711.jpg

70ce9fe70f32ad62e6cce7f79723876e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

@LW Goatman 

Play by the rules.  Pay your deductible.

Show the contractor you like your scope of loss as that is what you will have to ultimately pay the roof for.  Getting 3 bids to find the least expensive is a waste of time and unnecessary.  You can shop for the most upgrades within the scope of loss value.  Nothin wrong with that.  (Note: if you have no mortgage on your house then you’re in a different status and the rules are a bit different).

Local roofing contractor is best. Nothing wrong with door knockers.  Local companies do it, too. 

Have prospective RCs provide a copy of their workmanship warranty PRIOR to inking contract.  Look for limitation of damages equal to roofing contract price language.  That is a no go.  

PRIOR to commencement of work, your RC needs to provide an insurance certificate to you.  It should list his general liability coverage, commercial auto coverage and workers comp coverage.  For most residential RCs, the second 2 will be more difficult to attain.   

Call the listed GL carrier (you can get contact info from producing agent listed on the certificate) and ask if coverage is in force, is the insured classified for roofing operations and is products and completed operations included in coverage.    Proper classification and P/CO inclusion is the most important part of coverage and the priciest.  

You’d be shocked at the amount of storm chaser RCs  (SUPERTEX CONSTRUCTION and Roofing) that have improperly classified operations (running roofing operations through carpentry or painting or siding classification) to save money and then coverage is not applied when a claim is made.  

Good luck

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Let's get something straight & I do mean 100% accurate here:  I never "STOLE" any truck & after fully paying for the vehicle have NEVER received the title. 
This shit has to stop.
● Did I drive through some tolls?  Yes.
●● Have I been given a total for any of that? No.
○ ○ Keep in mind that if I had been able to register the truck in MY name (i.e. had the title) this would not be an issue.
. . . . . . .
• Was a parking citation issued (that I never knew about because apparently someone took the ticket off the truck windshield?) ALSO  Yes.
•• Have I been given a total for that? No.

☆ This bullshit about "theft" of the vehicle absolutely has to stop. ☆

1ee66dce7d2ecb8ac2165e307a6314ce.jpg

a8a05ece1a93e740c707bf59d275b93f.jpg

a82da284d88f8d2e046ee62f67f84711.jpg

70ce9fe70f32ad62e6cce7f79723876e.jpg

Ballpark the number you think it is for the citation and tolls and Venmo that so there is proof. Sounds like y’all are playing a game of chicken 

12 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Somewhere I saw a huge sign stating, "not paying your deductible is fraud".  IIRC, it is over on Spring Cypress Road in HTX. 

99.9% correct.

If there is any recoverable depreciation to collect, then there IS a requirement to show proof of deductible being paid prior to insurance sending out the depreciation payment.

I have extensively discussed this in one or two other threads here on Shag².

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/IN/htm/IN.707.htm

Sec. 707.002. PAYMENT OF DEDUCTIBLE REQUIRED. A person insured under a property insurance policy shall pay any deductible applicable to a first-party claim made under the policy.

Added by Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1099 (H.B. 2102), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2019.

FOR ALL APPROVED INSURANCE CLAIMS, “Texas law requires a person insured under a property insurance policy
to pay any deductible applicable to a claim made under the policy. It is a violation of Texas law for a seller of
goods or services who reasonably expects to be paid wholly or partly from the proceeds of a property insurance
claim to knowingly allow the insured person to fail to pay, or assist the insured person ’s failure to pay, the
applicable insurance deductible.”

Edited by ROFL BOX

On 2/18/2024 at 9:12 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Somewhere I saw a huge sign stating, "not paying your deductible is fraud".  IIRC, it is over on Spring Cypress Road in HTX. 

While true, that’s certainly an interesting approach to go so far as a huge sign. 

I think the roofing industry has a reputation problem.  My short stint with a company didn't do much to change my opinion.  the hard-sell/door-to-door/storm chaser aspect isn't for me, but I understood it and it works when pursuing insurance jobs.

What I didn't anticipate was how much the clients were looking to profit off the insurance claims.

3 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I think the roofing industry has a reputation problem.  My short stint with a company didn't do much to change my opinion.  the hard-sell/door-to-door/storm chaser aspect isn't for me, but I understood it and it works when pursuing insurance jobs.

What I didn't anticipate was how much the clients were looking to profit off the insurance claims.

I wont mention any names (don't bother sending a PM), but I have had 3 Shaggers who were on this track.  Additionally, there are customers who see that final depreciation check & get dollar signs in their eyes.

It was the Storm Chasers who were throwing out ""free roof" back when deductibles were $ 500 & it didn't take long for homeowners to get conditioned to "I get a free roof"; word got around fast.  Then insurance companies saw the ratio of claims going up & *poof* insurance companies started with 1% deductibles to put more of the financial burden back on property owners.

Far too many homeowners think of a roof as something insurance has the exclusive responsibility to pay for when in reality, outside of a covered peril (high wind, hail) this is a homeowner maintenance issue.  I get people consistently who filed a claim for a tree rub & while that's not the insurance company's responsibility, if they had not wasted the IC's time it wouldn't raise costs across the board.

We all need IC's to remain solvent so when valid claims ARE filed the ability to be paid appropriately is there.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

We all need IC's to remain solvent so when valid claims ARE filed the ability to be paid appropriately is there.

Somehow, I think they'll be fine. I'm not going to lose sleep worrying if State Farm can make enough profit to keep the lights on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2024 at 9:54 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Somehow, I think they'll be fine. I'm not going to lose sleep worrying if State Farm can make enough profit to keep the lights on.

Carriers exiting California & Florida want to enter the chat.