San Diego @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

Same stuff as always…. he has some real negative trends with roster management and some WTF in-game, situational decisions. 

….not mention a tangible and year over year decline since the ‘21 CWS run, with no logical basis to assume it will reverse this year
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, MuellerHorn said:

Not hurt. Subpar velocity and shaky command. All three outs in the first were on balls put into play. Pierce pulled him before it got really bad. 

Gotcha.  Thanks for the update.

Wonder what's up with the kid.  Some people can't mentally bounce back from injury; maybe he's one of them.  Hope not.  He had huge upside before the UCL tear.

The reset button needs to be pressed on Witt. 1 inning bullpen outings to start and go from there. Starting him might give him some sort of block thinking he has to save himself for 4+ innings. Just put him in against Houston Christian and tell him to let it rip.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

….not mention a tangible and year over year decline since the ‘21 CWS run, with no logical basis to assume it will reverse this year

Multiple years of failed recruiting classes was always going to have consequences. Injuries to the portal guys who were supposed to be stop-gaps doesn’t help. Freshman class is better this year. Has a chance to be elite next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I mean, it’s hard to “increase” when you finish in the final 4.

We were in Omaha again the following season and arguably should have gone for the third year in a row last year. We won the conference last year, something we didn’t do in 2022.

It’s a stretch to say it’s a year over year decline. It’s baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Gotcha.  Thanks for the update.

Wonder what's up with the kid.  Some people can't mentally bounce back from injury; maybe he's one of them.  Hope not.  He had huge upside before the UCL tear.

He hasn’t physically recovered. He’s down 6mph on his fastball still.

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Is it a recovery issue or an issue where he will never be the same? Because its been a while since that surgery. I would have to imagine that it's a structural issue at this point. 

Sadly I don't think we'll ever see peak Witt again. Hopefully he can find a way to contribute. 

11 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Multiple years of failed recruiting classes was always going to have consequences. Injuries to the portal guys who were supposed to be stop-gaps doesn’t help. Freshman class is better this year. Has a chance to be elite next year. 

Maybe the top talent in the 2020's would rather play for long/dyed hair, beards, earrings/gold chains, trailer park looking programs where they're allowed to show their "swag."  

There's a marked difference in the culture at Texas and LSU; you can see it from appearances alone.  

We either force conformance with clean cut/professional culture or we recruit it - either way, we likely exclude some good talent in the process. 

Don't get me wrong - it's one of the things I've always appreciated about Texas baseball and, in my mind, I can't see why anyone would want to play anywhere else.

It just makes me wonder if the societal shift toward "all about me/look at me" affects old school/classic programs like Texas when it comes to pulling (some) talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Maybe the top talent in the 2020's would rather play for long/dyed hair, beards, earrings/gold chains, trailer park looking programs where they're allowed to show their "swag."  

There's a marked difference in the culture at Texas and LSU; you can see it from appearances alone.  

We either force conformance with clean cut/professional culture or we recruit it - either way, we likely exclude some good talent in the process. 

Don't get me wrong - it's one of the things I've always appreciated about Texas baseball and, in my mind, I can't see why anyone would want to play anywhere else.

It just makes me wonder if the societal shift toward "all about me/look at me" affects old school/classic programs like Texas when it comes to pulling (some) talent.

No facial hair, no hair to the shoulders, pants always be worn at the ankles or above.

Been a rule for Texas baseball forever.

• Hook 'Em 1