Y'all got a fence guy?

Need to replace old wooden fence along half the yard. Definition of nothing fancy. Would do it myself, but it would take three times as long and have more waves than the Gulf.

Got a company you recommend?

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Just had a good experience (fence for clarification) with @T-shirt Sip in Austin.

Thanks for the recommendation @Hornbeliever

@FirstTimeCaller Give Austex Fence and Deck a chance. We do really good work. Hit me up with any questions regardless of company you decide to use. Call 512-258-5000 so we can set up an appointment with one of our salesmen. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Thanks for the recommendation @Hornbeliever

@FirstTimeCaller Give Austex Fence and Deck a chance. We do really good work. Hit me up with any questions regardless of company you decide to use. Call 512-258-5000 so we can set up an appointment with one of our salesmen. 

They were the first place I called as they have a fence they did down the street that looks great more than a year later. Straight as an arrow and hasn't warped or shifted at all. 

I learned from the bid that I am too poor to own a fence. If these are the prices, I'm going to have to find an alternative. 

@FirstTimeCaller Yeah, cost of materials really jumped up during Covid and have stayed high. Prices on treated materials seem to have fallen some but cedar is still outrageous. The offer to answer any questions is still out there for anyone that needs help with their fencing needs. I love Surly and am willing to help you guys where ever possible even if you don't use the company I work for. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 3/5/2024 at 11:46 AM, T-shirt Sip said:

@FirstTimeCaller Yeah, cost of materials really jumped up during Covid and have stayed high. Prices on treated materials seem to have fallen some but cedar is still outrageous. The offer to answer any questions is still out there for anyone that needs help with their fencing needs. I love Surly and am willing to help you guys where ever possible even if you don't use the company I work for. 

Actually do have a question -- what's the standard practice for the current posts? One company mentioned that they cut them off below grade and the cover the spot with dirt. Didn't ask the others what they do. Is it common just to cut off the posts at the ground and put in new ones or completely dig out the old posts?

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Actually do have a question -- what's the standard practice for the current posts? One company mentioned that they cut them off below grade and the cover the spot with dirt. Didn't ask the others what they do. Is it common just to cut off the posts at the ground and put in new ones or completely dig out the old posts?

Cutting them off is the lazy way of doing it. If they go that route, I'm curious what else they cut corners on. Our standard practice to remove the whole post and take out all of the old concrete before setting the new posts with all new concrete. Typical is to use the same post holes. If the posts have to move, (fence changes from vertical to horizontal or vice versa or you decide to go with a different layout) we then fill in the old holes with the dirt coming out of the new holes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 9:02 AM, El Tri said:

fence prices have gotten nuts. 2 years ago I paid i believe $25/LF for a good neighbor fence, nothing super fancy other than thick cedar planks

I'm in Dallas and have been quoted $85/LF for 6" board-on-board red cedar.  Getting fancy with a top cap and all, but I'm looking at $20K to replace a 6' builder's grade cedar fence with a new 8'.

On 3/8/2024 at 12:35 PM, T-shirt Sip said:

Cutting them off is the lazy way of doing it. If they go that route, I'm curious what else they cut corners on. Our standard practice to remove the whole post and take out all of the old concrete before setting the new posts with all new concrete. Typical is to use the same post holes. If the posts have to move, (fence changes from vertical to horizontal or vice versa or you decide to go with a different layout) we then fill in the old holes with the dirt coming out of the new holes. 

You might want to cross post in the landscape thread.

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Replacing 300ft +/- of privacy fence in a few weeks.

Bid was $10.2k to tear out old and replace with 2 double gates, and 8 posts being 6x6 (corners, end run, gate posts.)

That price seems about right without knowing all of the details. 

1 hour ago, T-shirt Sip said:

That price seems about right without knowing all of the details. 

Factoring in materials, that was about average. Highest was $18k, and when they told me that I asked them if they kept a straight face while telling me, and they apparently didn’t want the job. 

I got bids between $6K-$8.5K to replace ~120 feet  normal vertical pickets with a horizontal fence at 7' high (neighbor on one side went horizontal, so I'm stuck with it). One gate. 

• 1 month later...