Yes: Pools are worth it....

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Booster pumps are usually cheap. But, in any case, the wetside is probably okay and you just need the motor side. I replaced a 1.5 uprated motor on a Pentair whisperflo used for water features and it was pretty easy. I think $450 instead of a couple thousand for a new pump. The reason I did it is that I haven't found any good repair guys. I hired one company and he told me that since Covid the prices have skyrocketed and that the part itself was going to cost $2000 and then approximately $500 in labor. Fuck that noise.

The downside, I have some Intellchem issue that is keeping my saltwater chlorinator from working properly. The online stuff that I have found so far is outdated so I may have to find a repair guy who knows his stuff. That equipment supposedly only lasts a couple years and only controls acid which is easy to keep in range manually and the parts are expensive - acid pump is $500. New pH sensor and ORB sensor are $200. New computer module is $1500. It really is a waste of money.

The other option is to just fuck off whatever you are using for a pressure side cleaner that probably has or will break, the pump and put the money in a robot cleaner.  That's what I finally did after over 10 years doing multiple minor repairs and then ultimately replacing a Polaris and a few years after that finally starting to hear the same noises out of my booster pump that indicated it was on its last legs.

Edited by Surly Bevo

The other option is to just fuck off whatever you are using for a pressure side cleaner that probably has or will break, the pump and put the money in a robot cleaner.  That's what I finally did after over 10 years doing multiple minor repairs and then ultimately replacing a Polaris and a few years after that finally starting to hear the same noises out of my booster pump that indicated it was on its last legs.

I had to wrestle with a Polaris and booster pump for years. Polaris repairs at Leslie’s pool supplies were always expensive. Shit didn’t work that well, and then the pump started making a racket and needed to be replaced or rebuilt. I pulled the whole thing and bought an electric dolphin with a 3 year warranty. It’s worked much better for me than the Polaris did.

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Good point - I was thinking that it was used for a hot tub. No reason to have one if it is used for a pool cleaner.

2 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Ended up being closer to $15k bc I replaced the filter system, added some additional rock wall thing, and had him tear out the framing for the deck and reorder because he used sealed wood instead of pressure treated and I wanted all pressure treated wood.

We just used it for the first time this weekend and the extra space was definitely worth it, happy to start getting some payback from the investment.

that sounds like an amazing deal. if you're in the austin area send me the contact info for the company you used.

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I had to wrestle with a Polaris and booster pump for years. Polaris repairs at Leslie’s pool supplies were always expensive. Shit didn’t work that well, and then the pump started making a racket and needed to be replaced or rebuilt. I pulled the whole thing and bought an electric dolphin with a 3 year warranty. It’s worked much better for me than the Polaris did.

About to enter my first Polaris rebuild. I haven't been impressed with that unit since day 1.   Pump is in great shape, but thinking about just going to a robot anyhow.   Maybe I’ll run one rebuild and see how it goes.  Just want something that works well. 

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

About to enter my first Polaris rebuild. I haven't been impressed with that unit since day 1.   Pump is in great shape, but thinking about just going to a robot anyhow.   Maybe I’ll run one rebuild and see how it goes.  Just want something that works well. 

then get a robot. it's so much better

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Just rebuilt my Polaris 280.  Luckily it was pretty simple--- new wheel--- had a stripped gear, and new rubber for all the tires.  Went ahead and replaced a couple of leaking swivels and the backup valve too.  Found all the parts on Amazon.  Some good vids on youtube. 

Ended up having to dial back in the hose floats, and adjust the back jet--- wasn't hitting all areas of the pool.  Working like a champ the last few days.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, LosIllini said:

Just rebuilt my Polaris 280.  Luckily it was pretty simple--- new wheel--- had a stripped gear, and new rubber for all the tires.  Went ahead and replaced a couple of leaking swivels and the backup valve too.  Found all the parts on Amazon.  Some good vids on youtube. 

Ended up having to dial back in the hose floats, and adjust the back jet--- wasn't hitting all areas of the pool.  Working like a champ the last few days.

Were they actual Polaris parts? I’ve been seeing a bunch of knock off stuff.  The pool is only 2.5 yo, figured it would last longer before rebuild. 

Didn't buy OEM parts- but, 3rd party with good ratings from Amazon. So, we'll see how long things last.

Not exactly sure how old my Polaris is, but, it is at least 6 years old.  2.5 years sounds really short- would expect it to go longer before breaking down.  So, hopefully minor repairs.  One rebuild is probably worth it, and shouldn't cost you alot, assuming you don't have to do major surgery.

...pools and boats--- nothing cheap

Haven't touched the pool since October or so, but looks like Summer starts next week for all intents and purposes. Several days in the low 90's on the forecast starting Tuesday. Water will still be chilly, but might have to think about jumping in next Saturday.

What are the best pool robots?

We got a Pentair/Dolphin corded robot with our project. It’s still new in box in case I’m better off with something else…

2 hours ago, jofus said:

What are the best pool robots?

We got a Pentair/Dolphin corded robot with our project. It’s still new in box in case I’m better off with something else…

Dolphin, hands down. First one I got lasted 7 years, the new one is on year 2.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 7:29 PM, LosIllini said:

...pools and boats--- nothing cheap

Well, I’m going on 25 years straight with at least one boat at all times, so I know what to expect there.  Was hoping the pool would give me a few more years of grace. 

I've had a corded Aqua Products EVO 614iq for about 5 months.  Happy with the results so far.  I bought from Marina Pool and Spa in Colorado, based on recommendations from folks at TroubleFreePool.com (a site I highly recommend).  Posters on that site have had very positive experience w/ Marina, their service, and the handling of warranty issues.  EVO is part of the Jandy/Polaris conglomerate, fwiw.

https://marinapoolspaandpatio.com/

https://www.aquaproducts.com/en/products/pool-cleaners/evo-614-iq

On 4/29/2024 at 8:17 AM, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Ended up being closer to $15k bc I replaced the filter system, added some additional rock wall thing, and had him tear out the framing for the deck and reorder because he used sealed wood instead of pressure treated and I wanted all pressure treated wood.

We just used it for the first time this weekend and the extra space was definitely worth it, happy to start getting some payback from the investment.

One thing about building or upgrading a pool, it's like a woman going to buy 1 single thing at a dept. store...you always wind up getting more as the job progresses.

We started out at $22,000.00 for our our pool....and wound up at $45,000.00, and couldn’t be happier.