Yes: Pools are worth it....

Personal opinion, but slotted Pergolas in Texas are stupid. They let a lot of sun through, so you don't have real shade vs the hot Texas sun, and you'll just spend more money later to cover or replace it. Better to build an actual roof structure with strong supports to prevent any strong winds from damaging it. /rant

One thing I learned in building our pool is that you can't have too many shade options. We got a 13x8 sundeck for the kids to play in, and had them add 1 umbrella holder in it, and I wish we had extended that a bit and made it 2.  100+ degrees for weeks/months on end make you wish you had more shade. I'm looking at options for a sun sail above the center of the pool now, because it's just ridiculously hot. I bought one of those portable umbrella stands and put it on the west side of the pool in the afternoons to get some shade in the spa/deep end.  I wish I had planned a bit more for it, having some umbrella holders in the retaining wall would have been smart. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Personal opinion, but slotted Pergolas in Texas are stupid. They let a lot of sun through, so you don't have real shade vs the hot Texas sun, and you'll just spend more money later to cover or replace it. Better to build an actual roof structure with strong supports to prevent any strong winds from damaging it. /rant

Agree. That rendering isn't at all what we are looking for in terms of any pergola structure.  We have another pergola over our patio area already, and it has this covering material for shade and weather in like a brown/smoke color. It has worked out really well. 

https://plaskolite.com/catalog/polygal-topgal

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Some concept drawings coming in. I didn't initially like the idea of free form, but it is growing on me and might make more sense in the space we are using.  Both appear undersized in the renderings (free form esp) to me, but dimensions on these renderings are Geometric is 32' x 16'; Freeform is 32' 7" x 28' 4". Not really getting caught up in the decking or pergola situation at the moment, just trying to get scale and basic shape in mind. 

ff-snip1.jpg
ff-snip2.jpg
ff-snip3.jpg
ff-snip4.jpg
geo-snip1.jpg
geo-snip2.jpg

I've got geometric pool and one thing that does bother me a little with it is the robot vacuum has trouble in a couple areas that are basically the 90 degree points.

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

One thing I learned in building our pool is that you can't have too many shade options. We got a 13x8 sundeck for the kids to play in, and had them add 1 umbrella holder in it, and I wish we had extended that a bit and made it 2.  100+ degrees for weeks/months on end make you wish you had more shade. I'm looking at options for a sun sail above the center of the pool now, because it's just ridiculously hot. I bought one of those portable umbrella stands and put it on the west side of the pool in the afternoons to get some shade in the spa/deep end.  I wish I had planned a bit more for it, having some umbrella holders in the retaining wall would have been smart. 

We've got a big live oak that shades about 1/3 of the pool.  An absolute bitch in the spring when it's doing tree things, but my god it's the place to be in the summer.   Have had good luck with adding a few of the movable holders around.  We've also only got 1 in the sundeck.  Wish there was another.  

Probably been said before but a water feature is a must with this heat. We run ours overnight a few times a week to drop the water temperature and it makes quite a difference especially since the freezes killed off most of our shade (Japanese blueberry bushes).

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Grimas said:

Probably been said before but a water feature is a must with this heat. We run ours overnight a few times a week to drop the water temperature and it makes quite a difference especially since the freezes killed off most of our shade (Japanese blueberry bushes).

I also lost some good sized Japanese Blueberries in the last freeze, and replaced them with Eagleston Hollies instead. I know a few neighbors that had those, and they all survived the freeze with no problems. I love having fruit trees in the yard, and added a lemon and lime tree this year, but I keep them in big pots that I can move into the garage during freezes. I need a dolly to move them due to the weight, but given it happens maybe once a year, it's not a big deal.  

Shade trees are nice to have, but I don't think they are worth the problems they cause with dropping leaves or acorns in the area. It's too much work to keep the pool clean and free of debris, plus it means you need more chemicals to keep algae from growing. Acorns are the worst, because when they break open, they can stain the surface of whatever they hit. 

• Rage+1 1

21 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

get a pool specific inspector to do the inspection, not a general home inspector

I'm glad my realtor is smarter than me and did that.  

"Here is the results of the pool inspection at ####. These are the items that were checked and are working properly.

Water leveler, skimmer, pool light, gfci protection.  Salt cell is not working. Pool pump is not pulling a full prime due to lack of motor size and pool filter at minimum being cleaned. Filter psi gauge is reading 0 and does have a small seal leak. The crawler vacuum is not moving because of both the pump and filter. 

To better improve performance I would suggest a new filter seal and cleaning. If the budget allows I would better suggest a new Pentair 3h.p. Pump and new cartridge filter."

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I also lost some good sized Japanese Blueberries in the last freeze, and replaced them with Eagleston Hollies instead. I know a few neighbors that had those, and they all survived the freeze with no problems. I love having fruit trees in the yard, and added a lemon and lime tree this year, but I keep them in big pots that I can move into the garage during freezes. I need a dolly to move them due to the weight, but given it happens maybe once a year, it's not a big deal.  

Shade trees are nice to have, but I don't think they are worth the problems they cause with dropping leaves or acorns in the area. It's too much work to keep the pool clean and free of debris, plus it means you need more chemicals to keep algae from growing. Acorns are the worst, because when they break open, they can stain the surface of whatever they hit. 

I was looking at a house with a pool several years ago.  I have never had a pool and know nothing about pools, but like the idea of a pool.  At the time I had a client who owned a pool cleaning business, so I texted him a few pics of the backyard with three huge live oaks and asked him how much of a pain in the ass it would be to keep the pool clean.  His response was this:

Oh My God Wow GIF by Rosanna Pansino

• Haha 1

Crepe myrtles are glorified noxious weeds.

Our last house had a large pool that had a dozen mature crepe myrtles. Those blossoms in the pool were like wet toilet paper. The weeping acid. The ants and aphids. I should have cut them all down but it was going to cost a fortune.

Got a couple crepe myrtles on a corner of my pool.  They are not RIGHT over it so get more of the stuff that blows off.  It's a little bit of a pain at times but not overwhelming.  

As far as ants, aphids etc.  One annual dose of something like this is all II have ever needed to make that not a problem.  

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Annual-Insect-Control-Gallon/dp/B002ITL19A/ref=asc_df_B002ITL19A/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167152392179&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15054997752331765728&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027307&hvtargid=pla-304444552300&psc=1

• Hook 'Em 1

For aphids, go buy lady bugs. I used to do that once a year when we had a big crepe myrtle in my backyard at another house.

My FIL flips out over the crepe myrtles in his backyard close to his pool. It’s entertaining.

When we put our pool in we took all crepe myrtles and ligustrum out and put in Eagleston Hollies. It was expensive but looks nice.

I have 2 giant oaks on one side of my yard and my neighbor has a giant live oak on the other side. Lots of leaves end up in the pool in fall/winter but the shade right now is worth it.

• Hook 'Em 1

For aphids, go buy lady bugs. I used to do that once a year when we had a big crepe myrtle in my backyard at another house.

My FIL flips out over the crepe myrtles in his backyard close to his pool. It’s entertaining.

When we put our pool in we took all crepe myrtles and ligustrum out and put in Eagleston Hollies. It was expensive but looks nice.

I have 2 giant oaks on one side of my yard and my neighbor has a giant live oak on the other side. Lots of leaves end up in the pool in fall/winter but the shade right now is worth it.
How do you buy lady bugs? What do you do with them? Just release them?

25 minutes ago, Okie State said:

The shade is always worth the hassle to me. My Dad is the opposite. He has zero trees in his backyard and would have zero on his lot if his HOA would allow it. I don't get it.

Yep. Multiple people told me I’d regret putting the pool next to two oaks. No ragerts at all.  I tie my float to one of them to stay shaded every time I’m in it.  I don’t think I’d be in the pool too often if it had no shade. 
It’s not really that much more work. Empty the buckets a couple extra times a day for a couple weeks, blow the leaves off the deck every few days. That’s about it. It’s worth the shade. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yep. Multiple people told me I’d regret putting the pool next to two oaks. No ragerts at all.  I tie my float to one of them to stay shaded every time I’m in it.  I don’t think I’d be in the pool too often if it had no shade. 
It’s not really that much more work. Empty the buckets a couple extra times a day for a couple weeks, blow the leaves off the deck every few days. That’s about it. It’s worth the shade. 
We only swim when it's shaded. Morning until about Noon and then in the evening around 6PM on. I hate the sun. Except the part where it keeps us alive or whatever.

I've two hairline cracks on the lower part of my Pentair Quad DE filter.  I found that my water level losing more water than usual, so I tracked it down to losing it drip by drip through the cracks. I can buy just the lower assembly online. But, to hold me over, I disassembled it and covered the leaks from the interior with two coats of flex seal. It needs about another 24 hour to fully cure before I put it back in service. It's only temporary to get me through the next month of swim season.

Anybody ever tried something like this before? 

26 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

I've two hairline cracks on the lower part of my Pentair Quad DE filter.  I found that my water level losing more water than usual, so I tracked it down to losing it drip by drip through the cracks. I can buy just the lower assembly online. But, to hold me over, I disassembled it and covered the leaks from the interior with two coats of flex seal. It needs about another 24 hour to fully cure before I put it back in service. It's only temporary to get me through the next month of swim season.

Anybody ever tried something like this before? 

Not on a DE filter, but I’ve used flex seal on a hydro rig I used to run, as well as on a bulkhead connection on my 55 gal water barrel.

Shit holds, I’ll give it that for sure. I dunno about sealing a screen door boat bottom, but for what I’ve used it for it has held up much better than expected.

On 8/3/2023 at 1:58 PM, Dutchrudder said:

I am going to be looking at a shade sail option too I think.  You had any luck yet?  I can just google, but no idea if there's a preferred local company.  Also, assuming this is probably something that should be professionally custom fit and installed?  

23 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I am going to be looking at a shade sail option too I think.  You had any luck yet?  I can just google, but no idea if there's a preferred local company.  Also, assuming this is probably something that should be professionally custom fit and installed?  

@MontereyMXmuthafucka has a jam up sail iirc.  Or it may just be the view. 

On 8/3/2023 at 2:58 PM, Dutchrudder said:

Seeing your post made me think - why not use the holes that were for the volleyball net to add extra umbrellas...  Thanks!

I was about to post my own thread on Help, but this thread was on top.  I have wondered for about a year how well the "glacier" pool chiller works. And a buddy of mine finally got one (I told him about it last year. His pool basically faces South looking at the lake so no relief from the sun from dawn to dusk.  He pulled the trigger and posted on facebook about his amazement on how well it works.  I think it was designed in Houston and apparently uses some sort of collection of thin membranes, that a fan blows air on.  Apparently the thing works.  My buddy's pool went from 92 degrees to 80-81 overnight.  His facebook rave read like an Ad.

Anyhow been trying to talk my daughter and her engineer husband in Houston to look into it, since somebody we trust likes the unit. Any of you guys have the system? What do you think of it?

I didn't read back a ton of pages so if this topic has been recently covered I apologize.  Seems like it was a pretty interesting and cost effective solution to keeping the pool cool enough to enjoy.  I think the best it can do is drop the temp in the morning to the overnight temp, but if it's 105 outside and the pool is 80 thats a big enough temp gap to feel pretty good.

On 8/8/2023 at 11:11 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Not yet. The sail itself can be found on Amazon for various sizes that span $50-200, so it's fairly inexpensive to buy and replace as needed for a DIY setup. I think the biggest cost is in setting up the poles, hooks and anchors. I haven't tried to get quotes yet, but I figured a company would charge a couple grand to do it all and install. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, horn4life said:

I was about to post my own thread on Help, but this thread was on top.  I have wondered for about a year how well the "glacier" pool chiller works. And a buddy of mine finally got one (I told him about it last year. His pool basically faces South looking at the lake so no relief from the sun from dawn to dusk.  He pulled the trigger and posted on facebook about his amazement on how well it works.  I think it was designed in Houston and apparently uses some sort of collection of thin membranes, that a fan blows air on.  Apparently the thing works.  My buddy's pool went from 92 degrees to 80-81 overnight.  His facebook rave read like an Ad.

Anyhow been trying to talk my daughter and her engineer husband in Houston to look into it, since somebody we trust likes the unit. Any of you guys have the system? What do you think of it?

I didn't read back a ton of pages so if this topic has been recently covered I apologize.  Seems like it was a pretty interesting and cost effective solution to keeping the pool cool enough to enjoy.  I think the best it can do is drop the temp in the morning to the overnight temp, but if it's 105 outside and the pool is 80 thats a big enough temp gap to feel pretty good.

I too would like information on this

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Not yet. The sail itself can be found on Amazon for various sizes that span $50-200, so it's fairly inexpensive to buy and replace as needed for a DIY setup. I think the biggest cost is in setting up the poles, hooks and anchors. I haven't tried to get quotes yet, but I figured a company would charge a couple grand to do it all and install. 

Something like that shouldn't be too terrible, really. 4x4 posts as needed, quickcrete. Wouldn't be that big of a project and save a good bit DIY.

Unless you were wanting something a little above that level, then maybe something to hire out.

I have Jandy pumps. Don't remember number, but top of the line, variable speed, etc. Guy who put it in says don't worry if line gets plugged up because Jandy has a thermal cut off so they don't overheat and destroy themselves. Had a problem, pump got very hot and repair man says no, Jandy's do not have heat protection. Who is right?

I have Jandy pumps. Don't remember number, but top of the line, variable speed, etc. Guy who put it in says don't worry if line gets plugged up because Jandy has a thermal cut off so they don't overheat and destroy themselves. Had a problem, pump got very hot and repair man says no, Jandy's do not have heat protection. Who is right?
I know Jandy does have freeze protection and that works perfect on mine. Knowing that, I would assume it has a thermal disconnect.

Designing a pool. If I add a hot tub, I have to add a propane tank because our house is all electric.

Is a hot tub worth it in north Texas? Is having propane available, to potentially convert my house heaters, worth it?

Taking the hot tub out of our design would reduce our cost by $20-$30k.

On 8/25/2023 at 5:41 PM, jofus said:

Designing a pool. If I add a hot tub, I have to add a propane tank because our house is all electric.

Is a hot tub worth it in north Texas? Is having propane available, to potentially convert my house heaters, worth it?

Taking the hot tub out of our design would reduce our cost by $20-$30k.

Buy a separate fiberglass hot tub.

1. It can run on electric

2. Better quality jets/massage experience

3. You can put it where you want and if that is closer to the house for privacy, great

All set to get my MIL’s pool fixed up. Gonna replaster with quartzscape, resurface the cool deck. Do some maintenance like update the main drain to use the 2 round drains, install new jets and plastic, install a new handrail on the main steps. Also gonna build a 10’ x25’ deck with a metal roof that hangs over the edge, it will require 2 dead trees removed to build the deck.

Total quote is 6k for plaster/pool work, 2k for cool deck resurfacing, and 4 k for the deck and the metal roof. Total = 12k

Does that sound like a reasonable deal?

23 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

All set to get my MIL’s pool fixed up. Gonna replaster with quartzscape, resurface the cool deck. Do some maintenance like update the main drain to use the 2 round drains, install new jets and plastic, install a new handrail on the main steps. Also gonna build a 10’ x25’ deck with a metal roof that hangs over the edge, it will require 2 dead trees removed to build the deck.

Total quote is 6k for plaster/pool work, 2k for cool deck resurfacing, and 4 k for the deck and the metal roof. Total = 12k

Don't know about the pool but the rest sounds great.  

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

That sounds too good to be true.  The delta between just white plaster and quartz was a lot more than 6k when we built. 

• Like 1