Yes: Pools are worth it....

A fuckton....seriously people don't understand physics and just how much water they have in their pool.  Put it this way, if you got say a 20K gallon pool you have about 170K pounds of water in there aand are gonna need 8000+ pounds of ice to drop that bitch 10 degrees.  

Physics involves the science of motion.

Thermodynamics involves the science of a change in temperature.

I think. Actually I have no idea. I was a math major.

What RPM are y'all running your pool at during the night? My average water temp last week was 90 with the pump running 8a-9p at 3250. Reset the schedule on Sunday from 8a-8p at 3250 and then set a second schedule from 9p-6a at 2200 rpm and the average temp has been 87. I would like to trim it back under 2k rpm I just don't have a clue if that would be too low or not

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Haven’t lost any water. Pool was comfy this evening after the sun went down some.

Same.  We just got back from a week gone and it was maybe 1.5” low, probably closer to an inch.   Been drinking the fuck out of beer and night swimming tho.  Glad the wife talked me into the pool.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 9:54 AM, thunderlounge said:

I guess this is the best place to get started.

I'm looking to build somewhere in the next 3-5 years. I already have the land outright, so that's a plus.

I would really, really like to incorporate a pool from the beginning to hopefully make things easier overall, and maybe save a tiny bit over deciding to do it later. I'm not sure of an overall specific layout yet. However from all the plans I've searched and evaluated in the past 6 months, I have a general idea of the type of spaces I'll have as options.

One such feature will be a big garage/shop. Something in the 40x40 or 30x50 type range. I had a thought (you can see what's coming) and looked at bumping up to something in the 40x60 range. It wouldn't make much of a price difference in the big picture of things (going steel building), so why not wall off part of the shop and put in a small pool?

Or as an alternative, depending on eventual floorplan, add on an additional steel building just for that.

I figure that in terms of construction, going on at the same time as the rest of the house, what's the difference between a hole in the yard, and a hole in a (soon to be) building? I mean building from the ground up, not once in use.

I really don't want to be limited to May-September with a traditional outdoor pool, so thought it may be an option to put a metal building around it, or as part of a shop.

I've become slightly more partial to a separate building, or one added onto the shop, if for nothing more than significantly less air to circulate and keep the humidity down with. Plus I'd be able to better ventilate and not have to worry about turning over all the air in the shop as well.

For size, I'm thinking like 16x28, give or take. Puts me in the 80ft total range, (88, actually, so a hair more). Add a side spa, with a flowover, or a small waterfall, and that's it.

Indoor-swimming-pool-finished-in-custom-hand-painted-glass-tile-.webp.71b4b2444d8000081aaf4e3628c55c8c.webp

steel-building-for-pool.jpg.ef9bbea05fa3a96ca70d09544d44ca51.jpg

Something similar to that size, or there about. Different decor, but you get the idea.

Not 100% sure I would want to use plexiglass and make it more like a greenhouse, but that gives an idea of space and structure.

I did talk to a local installer, who said their one of their gunnite pool packages that was about the size I was looking at (80ft), and it was $350/ft additional. The package, with attached spa and waterfall, upgraded equipment, was $57k (plus the 350/ft additional, so about $60k probably.)

What I wasn't thinking about at the time was going enclosed, as I was just looking more for basic planning info to see if it was even feasible. Taking the additional environmental equipment out of the picture, would having it placed in the middle of a 30x30 or 30x40 slab be any different than in the middle of a yard? Since the slab wouldn't be there initially, would it really make a difference and run that part of the cost up? Doesn't seem like it would, as the building would go up after the pool is dug and the big equipment is out of the way.

So that's what I'm thinking over.

Where my questions are currently:

- would it be worth it for going year round? I'd definitely use it daily.

- would the additional cost (extra hvac, dehumidifier, utility costs) outweigh the benefits?

- could the utility cost potentially be offset (long term) with solar, depending on equipment load?

Anything is possible with unlimited budget, but for us normal folk would something basic like the second pic really add a significant cost to where it was 3 or 4 times what it would be in a conventional patio type setup? I'd guess the concrete works out the same either way, so extra equipment and the building shell would seem to be the biggest addition to the cost.

This is going to be my last place, so a little extra for something that provides a lot of use can be justified.

I really don't think if I had to go outside completely, that I would do it. 7 months of sitting useless would just not be worth it for me for several reasons, but biggest would be filling/draining every year on a well.

Has anyone been around, or done anything similar? Am I really getting way over my skis in looking into this?

Just want to do my homework and get my ducks in a row, and if it turns out it isn't feasible, so be it. Seems a lot better than going all leroy jenkins on it and fucking up.

So, I didn't choose my pool, it came with the place. But if I had, there's two things I'd like done differently.

One, I'd go for a rectangle. So I can get an automatic pool cover..You want a pool cover, automatic or not; you lose less water, you lose less chlorine, and you can get solar covers that all but heat the pool on their own. But having to unroll a weirdly-cut cover for a kidney-bean-shaped pool is not as much fun as push a button and bam: pool's open.

Second, I'd build for length; get something I could do lap swimming in.

"filling/draining every year on a well" -- you don't want to do this, correct. Not an issue if you can keep the water liquid. This isn't an issue where I live; freezing just doesn't happen here. But even an outdoor pool can be heated year-round, but it takes a lot of energy to heat a pool. Again, solar covers help insulate the pool from cool air quite a bit, and for the Summer months, will get you all the heat you need and then some. It's currently our only form of water heating.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/29/2023 at 5:29 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

What RPM are y'all running your pool at during the night? My average water temp last week was 90 with the pump running 8a-9p at 3250. Reset the schedule on Sunday from 8a-8p at 3250 and then set a second schedule from 9p-6a at 2200 rpm and the average temp has been 87. I would like to trim it back under 2k rpm I just don't have a clue if that would be too low or not

I used to run pretty low, like 750rpm, just enough to keep the water from being completely stagnant. Now it's more like... 1250, I think? Once we got the solar panels in place and the electricity is cheap, I cranked that thing up a bit more, running at higher speeds longer and during the day when I'm generating.

6 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

I swear I'm losing an inch and a half a day on these hundred degree days. Y'all?

Are you covering it? Pool covers, man.

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

So, I didn't choose my pool, it came with the place. But if I had, there's two things I'd like done differently.

One, I'd go for a rectangle. So I can get an automatic pool cover..You want a pool cover, automatic or not; you lose less water, you lose less chlorine, and you can get solar covers that all but heat the pool on their own. But having to unroll a weirdly-cut cover for a kidney-bean-shaped pool is not as much fun as push a button and bam: pool's open.

Second, I'd build for length; get something I could do lap swimming in.

"filling/draining every year on a well" -- you don't want to do this, correct. Not an issue if you can keep the water liquid. This isn't an issue where I live; freezing just doesn't happen here. But even an outdoor pool can be heated year-round, but it takes a lot of energy to heat a pool. Again, solar covers help insulate the pool from cool air quite a bit, and for the Summer months, will get you all the heat you need and then some. It's currently our only form of water heating.

Thanks man. I appreciate the response. Was beginning to think I killed the thread. 😂

The pics in the post you quoted are kinda what I’m thinking at the moment. 

Size about like the first one, enclosure like the second or similar. 

Something around 16x28 give or take. 15x30, whatever.

After initial fill hopefully it won’t need that much again. If need be I guess I can truck it in if that’s the only option.

It’s the running in an enclosure I’m most unsure of.

I definitely want a cover, even indoors. Keep the evaporation as minimal as possible, save on the hvac equipment running.

Trying to figure out if it would be better to have it as a stand alone “building”,  attached with an enclosed breezeway, a walled off room in the shop, or an attached enclosure where one wall is the outside wall of the house/shop.

The DynaDome might be a good option too. Slide it open when you want, how much you want. 

In theory, yes. Upfront cost will be a good chunk, but sure. Just like with anything else. Know your load, get panels that will run double your load, plus 30% or so. This would run your load during the day, and save enough to run it off batteries overnight.

I’ve had similar thoughts for a few things. Detached shop, etc. 

arrgh, I'm raging.  Discovered a crack in the plaster (can't tell if it's deeper yet).  About 2-3 ft long, horizontal, ~2ft below the water line.  Pool is only 5 yrs old....ugh.

I've shot a note to the builder about it.  Hope he doesn't try to screw me....

• Rage+1 4

On 7/2/2023 at 11:19 AM, freyguy said:

arrgh, I'm raging.  Discovered a crack in the plaster (can't tell if it's deeper yet).  About 2-3 ft long, horizontal, ~2ft below the water line.  Pool is only 5 yrs old....ugh.

Idi Amin Laughing

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I hope it works out, but my SIL and her two neighbors all put pools in over the past few years. Her two neighbors are currently in legal battles with their pool builders over cracked gunite that they refuse to repair. I'd prepare for the worst and hope it's nothing too serious.

On 6/30/2023 at 6:40 PM, Not that Bob said:

I swear I'm losing an inch and a half a day on these hundred degree days. Y'all?

Yes. Always start thinking there is a leak this time of year. Between loss and kids splashing it feels like I'm adding water every day or every other day. 

On 7/4/2023 at 8:54 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

Doheny's having a big sale. Free shipping over $200 as well. Best prices I've seen on chlorine and shock in awhile.

What do you buy there that’s a good deal?  Shock is more expensive by $1/lb or more than CalHypo at Costco and Walmart has the cheapest liquid Chlorine I’ve been able to find.  

On 7/2/2023 at 11:19 AM, freyguy said:

Mine is vertical and the pool is 2 years old. Pool builder acknowledged it but been silent for a while. Has a lifetime warranty for original owners (me)

2 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Anyone dealing with a hot pool should at least try the aerators that hook into the jets, drops my water 3-5 degrees . 25 bucks on Amazon I’d you don’t want to make them , I run them at night for maximum effect

Link?

2 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Anyone dealing with a hot pool should at least try the aerators that hook into the jets, drops my water 3-5 degrees . 25 bucks on Amazon I’d you don’t want to make them , I run them at night for maximum effect

how many are you using at once? I've got one... just been too lazy to hook it up

Pools are great but old pools can be a pain. My main board failed (again) so I upgraded with one I can control from my phone. It failed yesterday.

Also developed a leak. My guy thinks it’s in the skimmers so he sealed them but I can’t run the pump to test it.

And I need all new pebble tec that I’ve been putting off.

Pools are great but old pools can be a pain. My main board failed (again) so I upgraded with one I can control from my phone. It failed yesterday.

Also developed a leak. My guy thinks it’s in the skimmers so he sealed them but I can’t run the pump to test it.

And I need all new pebble tec that I’ve been putting off.
Mine was built in 1989. It's not fancy, but it gets the job done. It's a pain in the ass and needs to be renovated soon, but I'm still glad I'm not dropping $100K+ on a new one. I don't give a fuck about sun shelfs and pool chillers.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Okie State said:
5 hours ago, Anastasis said:
Goddamnit. The wife is making serious noises about a pool. Sounds like I get to light some money on fire. Cody, Denali, who else to look at in lake area. Or more importantly who to avoid.

Prepare your anus.

I have a good sense of the limestone formations under my land and how I am going to get bent over.

If you don’t have small children I would advise against it. We moved into a house with a nice pool setup (though aging, see previous post) and we lived in it the summer of 2019.

Saturday we got in it for the first time this year. My 14 and 17 year olds barely ever use it.

My teens are using it on a regular basis and inviting their friends over.  The whole point was creating a destination hangout for the high school crowd.  It helps a lot.  Now adding in a large screen TV in the game room to create a hang out room.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TexasEd said:

My teens are using it on a regular basis and inviting their friends over.  The whole point was creating a destination hangout for the high school crowd.  It helps a lot.  Now adding in a large screen TV in the game room to create a hang out room.

In my case it’s tough because almost every house has a pool and we have a big neighborhood pool. Kinda tough to differentiate. 

On 7/10/2023 at 12:42 PM, TexasEd said:

This is primarily my wife's angle.  I am not totally convinced, and told here that there is a lot more that goes into how that all shakes out, imo. But the reality of the matter is that we are probably stuck in this house for close at least the next 7 years or so, and a pool does sound nice. We hit the neighborhood pool 4-5 times a week, so I have no doubt it will get it's use. First builder coming out next week. Trying to comb the thread for visual ideas to give him. 

I am going to search thread this evening, but is there is list of the most important questions to ask on first visit?

48 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is primarily my wife's angle.  I am not totally convinced, and told here that there is a lot more that goes into how that all shakes out, imo. But the reality of the matter is that we are probably stuck in this house for close at least the next 7 years or so, and a pool does sound nice. We hit the neighborhood pool 4-5 times a week, so I have no doubt it will get it's use. First builder coming out next week. Trying to comb the thread for visual ideas to give him. 

I am going to search thread this evening, but is there is list of the most important questions to ask on first visit?

I like having a pool. It gives me a reason to go outside and use the backyard. I think without a pool, I wouldn't go to our back porch and listen to music or watch TV. I would say it is too hot or I would get bitten by a mosquito and give up. We have some beautiful water features, though which definitely helps.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4