Yes: Pools are worth it....

Got my planters done, chaise lounges came in, looks nice, notwithstanding a hot tub that’s jacked and doesn’t come to temp and 4-5 inches per half day (while the pump is on) leak in the basin. Minor stuff. 

80D78981-8EF0-4453-BC2B-CDE435D2DE94.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

Ok.  Lots of variables.  
I'll dm you in a few.
You want to avoid bleach and acid mixing.
Look up mustard gas.

I’m also set to sump and clean a pool this weekend to prepare it for this upcoming season. I was fighting black algae with chemicals last year and plan to just power wash it with bleach once I’ve drained the pool. Any tips on cleaning or re-establishing the water afterwards.

18 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

At least it’s pretty.

Broke in the spa on our new pool this weekend.

The kid approves.
f6476e45552a57d788ec6bbfb9b5952a.jpg

Who did y’all end up using?  I made a recommendation for our guy to a guy in Gray slacks, and the old man told him our whole life story.  Guess he didn’t get the “I’m a man from the internet” exchange.  

Who did y’all end up using?  I made a recommendation for our guy to a guy in Gray slacks, and the old man told him our whole life story.  Guess he didn’t get the “I’m a man from the internet” exchange.  

Went with Sunset Pools in Katy. Pretty cut and dry and everything is working, minus an actuator that is on order.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

At least it’s pretty.

Broke in the spa on our new pool this weekend.

The kid approves.
f6476e45552a57d788ec6bbfb9b5952a.jpg

what an absolutely incredible happy face. smiling kids is what it's all about, well that and functioning hot tubs.  congrats!!

Edited by troph
  • Like 2

Anyone every used muriatic acid to clean stains off their concrete deck ? Wife sprayed suntan lotion and it made a dark spot?

Have used this for grill and griddle grease spills on decking. Works well.

CHOMP! Concrete Oil Stain Remover: Pull It Out Removes and Cleans Oils, Greases from Garage Floors & Driveways 32 Fl Oz https://a.co/d/23GCUvl
  • Like 1

Repair question.  Noticed a leak coming from my pump, between the pump and motor, had the gasket replaced and there's still a leak that appears to be coming from the motor. Pool guy first recommended to replace the motor, but when getting quotes for parts, they suggested replacing the whole thing for the warranty. Would you just replace the motor or replace the whole unit? Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST

Repair question.  Noticed a leak coming from my pump, between the pump and motor, had the gasket replaced and there's still a leak that appears to be coming from the motor. Pool guy first recommended to replace the motor, but when getting quotes for parts, they suggested replacing the whole thing for the warranty. Would you just replace the motor or replace the whole unit? Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST
I believe there is an impeller seal between the motor and housing that keeps the water out of said motor. You can try and replace that instead of the motor.

Being that's a variable speed pump it's definitely worth a shot as those pumps are not cheap...if you're mechanically inclined.

In the middle of putting a pool in and backyard kitchen.

Need advice on what conversation to have with the insurance company to make sure to get the right coverage, but not to overpay on premiums.

My insurance company didn’t make any changes. They said my coverage was fine and I have an umbrella policy as well. Curious to know if other folks have different info.

8 hours ago, TTU13 said:

In the middle of putting a pool in and backyard kitchen.

Need advice on what conversation to have with the insurance company to make sure to get the right coverage, but not to overpay on premiums.

Was told my pool was covered on the 10% other structures. Now that would be about 60-70% the cost of the pool, so figured that would cover a pretty significant repair.

On 4/6/2023 at 5:16 AM, Mother mopar said:

I believe there is an impeller seal between the motor and housing that keeps the water out of said motor. You can try and replace that instead of the motor.

Being that's a variable speed pump it's definitely worth a shot as those pumps are not cheap...if you're mechanically inclined.

This is the way. You can get the seal\o-ring kit on Amazon.  It’s a fairly simple job, I have the same pump and have had to replace it twice.  Few videos on youtube to help out. 

• Like 1

What the fucking fuck?  I just got back from Leslie Pool supply where I went to buy some chlorine.  The last time I went there (1 or 2 years ago), I bought a 100lb tub of powder and it cost me around $280 IIRC.  $280 is what they want for a 25lb tub now.  Wow!  Where are you folk buying chlorine (powder/shock - not tabs)?

What the fucking fuck?  I just got back from Leslie Pool supply where I went to buy some chlorine.  The last time I went there (1 or 2 years ago), I bought a 100lb tub of powder and it cost me around $280 IIRC.  $280 is what they want for a 25lb tub now.  Wow!  Where are you folk buying chlorine (powder/shock - not tabs)?

Costco for Tabs. Wallyworld for liquid
  • Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I converted over to salt system just over a year ago as the prices were starting to quickly rise... very glad I did. Was on fence about doing it but when I went to re-buy the CalHypo packets I was using and price was double... decided was a good time to convert over. Less hassle and already showing to be cheaper.

• Hook 'Em 1

Question for the experts--I just had my glass media changed on my sand filter and presumed I'd be able to recycle it (I'm in Austin) and that appears incorrect.

Now I have 500 pounds of tiny pieces of glass in my recycle bin--what do I do with this? 

Should I try to get it recycled elsewhere (smaller batches, this thing is too heavy to lift anywhere), demand the pool tech come back and take it, etc.?  It's too heavy to put in the trash can, too, and I can't imagine good for the environment if I tried to dig a hole or something redneck. 

So what are the cons of converting to saltwater? Why shouldn't I do it?
I've never had a non-salt water pool, so my experience is limited. I will say after shelling out $1k for a salt cell that hurt. You do have to clean the salt cell periodically w/muradic acid but it's easy. I'm sure others will chime in but I love mine and it's so much easier on the skin IMO.

On 4/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, lonestar3 said:

Been a bit since the initial build and, naturally, I’m wanting to post right after Troph drops that gem.

Anyway, TV wall is up and pretty excited with the way it turned out. Still doing corten planters under the cedar

75629b28b4eb20b478a1d872dab1d17d.jpg

bdbbe588f20772852900e11dae18fd4a.jpg

0fd4f383492b5a8a073378c8f483a936.jpg

That looks great.  But let’s be honest, a wall that obscures the neighbors’ view into the hot tub was never really about having a place to hang a TV was it?

@Poolflood or anyone who has contacts. I called Pentair Tech Support and they don't have the contact info for their sales rep. The guy said to call SCP Distributors and they will have the name and contact info of the Pentair Rep. Since, I am an end user, I don't think they will help me out. I am in Austin and need someone to come out and set-up my Intellichem System properly.

On 4/14/2023 at 8:40 PM, Okie State said:

So what are the cons of converting to saltwater? Why shouldn't I do it?

I keep wondering the same thing. I tried to go that direction from the start and the bastards at Cody shut me down every time I brought it up. “It’ll rust everything, you’ll have to buy a new pool furniture every year, it’ll corrode your pumps and plumbing equipment, etc. way more hassle than it’s worth”  they said.  I wish I had stood my ground on that.  

Early on I quit using chlorine tabs and only use liquid chlorine per troublefree pools method.  That has worked out well, and my chemicals stay in check all the time.  All I have ever added is liquid chlorine and some acid from time to time.  I’ve not had any algae flareups, or any chemicals getting so far out of whack that  a little more chlorine or acid didn’t fix it.  But it’s a hassle buying liquid chlorine all the time and pouring it in every couple days while I’m traveling for work.  

My pool furniture is plastic and wood and I think if the salt corroded the pumps at a high enough rate more people would be bitching about it, but they’re not.   I’m sure I’ll make the conversion at some point, but I’d like to hear everybody else’s thoughts on your question.  

The saltwater is the same saltiness of your eyeballs, about one tenth of the sea. That guy was full of shit. A salt pool is a chlorine pool. The cell rips the NaCl molecules apart to use the Cl as a sanitizer. Chlorine is what tears up furniture.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I keep wondering the same thing. I tried to go that direction from the start and the bastards at Cody shut me down every time I brought it up. “It’ll rust everything, you’ll have to buy a new pool furniture every year, it’ll corrode your pumps and plumbing equipment, etc. way more hassle than it’s worth”  they said.  I wish I had stood my ground on that.  

Early on I quit using chlorine tabs and only use liquid chlorine per troublefree pools method.  That has worked out well, and my chemicals stay in check all the time.  All I have ever added is liquid chlorine and some acid from time to time.  I’ve not had any algae flareups, or any chemicals getting so far out of whack that  a little more chlorine or acid didn’t fix it.  But it’s a hassle buying liquid chlorine all the time and pouring it in every couple days while I’m traveling for work.  

My pool furniture is plastic and wood and I think if the salt corroded the pumps at a high enough rate more people would be bitching about it, but they’re not.   I’m sure I’ll make the conversion at some point, but I’d like to hear everybody else’s thoughts on your question.  

2 years in and no issues for me.  It does raise the pH...I have to add about 2 cups of acid every week.  

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Same... today I'd be add in UV/Ozone system as well. I honestly thing most pool builders just don't know enough on it or aren't comfortable about it.   Or maybe the stories are enough they don't want people with crappy outdoor furniture calling telling them their pool rusted it when it was just crappy furniture left unconvered.

Anyone building today, if you don't go salt at build, have your builder plumb in a "dummy salt cell blank" so you can easily add it later when you want.  Costs them maybe extra $50 tops and will make decision/cost to switch way easier later on as all that will be required is swapping blank for cell and reprogramming your system. (30 min job)

Question about automatic poop cleaners. I have a pressure-side Polaris now which has the advantage of being able to leave in the pool for weeks on end and run for 2 hrs a day on a timer.

All of the robots I see require a person to be there and physically drop the thing in and take it back out.

I don’t live where the pool is that I maintain, so me not being there but still having it run is key.

Is a Polaris the best tool for the job in this situation, or are there other options that I’m not thinking of?

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Question about automatic poop cleaners. I have a pressure-side Polaris now which has the advantage of being able to leave in the pool for weeks on end and run for 2 hrs a day on a timer.

All of the robots I see require a person to be there and physically drop the thing in and take it back out.

I don’t live where the pool is that I maintain, so me not being there but still having it run is key.

Is a Polaris the best tool for the job in this situation, or are there other options that I’m not thinking of?

Good, bad, other I leave my robot in the pool pretty much 24/7.  I have Dolphin Premier which cleans really well. Issue is there is no phone app/cloud scheduling, only controlled from controller box. If I lose power (blinks etc) 1) I have to know it occured...2) I have to go out and set it to run again.  Typically I'll notice it hasn't moved in a day or two and do it.  It sucks as I live in an area with construction and I have power blips probably couple times a week (for years now).   So make sure you get one with cloud type scheduling/control.

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Is poop in your pool a big problem?

• Haha 1

Good, bad, other I leave my robot in the pool pretty much 24/7.  I have Dolphin Premier which cleans really well. Issue is there is no phone app/cloud scheduling, only controlled from controller box. If I lose power (blinks etc) 1) I have to know it occured...2) I have to go out and set it to run again.  Typically I'll notice it hasn't moved in a day or two and do it.  It sucks as I live in an area with construction and I have power blips probably couple times a week (for years now).   So make sure you get one with cloud type scheduling/control.

So you leave a plug in robot in your pool whenever you aren’t swimming and it cleans in a scheduler???? Very interesting. Everything I’ve read says you need to take them out after each use and rinse them and store them in a shaded area to dramatically extend the life of the unit. That’s a killer for me bc I’m not driving over every day.

5 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So you leave a plug in robot in your pool whenever you aren’t swimming and it cleans in a scheduler???? Very interesting. Everything I’ve read says you need to take them out after each use and rinse them and store them in a shaded area to dramatically extend the life of the unit. That’s a killer for me bc I’m not driving over every day.

I do and likely it does shorten the lifespan of them, but I just don't see going out there every day or two to put it in as something that is actually going to happen. I'm treating it as a cost of owning a pool until the cost outweighs the benefit.  Almost all of the have scheduling on them now, so I don't really see how they can have that but tell you that you need to take it out after every use other than to limit their liability.

Is the the only advantage to a robot the lack of hose connected to the side of the pool?  Or do robots do other things a basic Polaris racer won’t do?

They also don’t need booster pumps. I think they prob work better too. The pump on my Polaris is out and it’s $350 for a new one plus I need to buy a new timer for $60. At some point it seems better just to get a plug in robot.

PSA - if anyone is considering a Polaris Quattro Sport, you'd be better off lighting 10 $100 bills on fire.  I have had one for 3 years and have had to had it rebuilt 3 times.  My pool company's owner has had his rebuilt 5 times.  According to Polaris, the problem is that the grit destroys the gearing and the Polaris rep claimed that it was must be because the pool isn't very clean.  I thought the purpose of them was to clean the grit from the bottom of the pool.  Anyhoo, just don't do it. I'm probably going back to an old school Polaris with the bag on top.