2024 Youth Baseball - Every Kid’s a future MLB HOFer!!!

BrazilHorn

I’ve been tardy catching up on this thread. My boy’s 9U AAA team won their second straight tournament last weekend (we play every other weekend). So awesome to see how much each kid on the team has improved. We love our coach and the coaches he gets to help him (one of which is Jose Lima’s son), and it’s a great group of kids and families. I hope we keep this team together for a long time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/4/2024 at 10:58 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

7U metro team got moved from AAA to AA to balance division sizes. Beat two AAA teams this weekend 16-9 and 17-10 LOL. We may steamroll the AA and look like ring chasers. At least the boy went 5-6, 6 R, 6 RBI to open the season. Should be fun to let the kids play a ton of different positions and still win. 

We dominated while using 4 different kids at every position and a different batting order every night. Looking forward to the double jump to 8U-AAA next season. The league says they are enforcing a rule of 3 players max per team on the All-Star team. I’ve got 8 kids who would be the best player on any other team. Pretty sure an “all star” team comprised of players from the other AA squads would still get beat by my regular roster. I don’t know what argument to make would get them to bend their policy, but they clearly won’t be fielding the best team by blocking 5 kids who hit 0.750+ with good gloves in favor of kids from bottom feeders that strikeout half the time in coach pitch. 

PNG image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

That video is great. Especially the roster names. 

My son’s team off this weekend but it works out as he will be playing with me in my baseball game tomorrow. Love when it works out where we can play together. 

Bat question for the group:

About a year ago my son cracked his Demarini CF (-10, USSSA) and we were able to claim the 1-year warranty on it. That has been his only non-Marucci bat ever, he pretty much exclusively swings a Marucci - wood bat, aluminum, composite, etc - we have a $350 voucher for a new Demarini bat so wanted to see if anyone had any insight or thoughts on the Zoa or The Goods, anyone like one over the other? He's not a power hitter but more gap to gap (that's what she said)

He had the CF and liked it okay but prefers his Cat X...any feedback from those who have a Demarini? Will likely move him up to a -8 also with it

On 5/10/2024 at 3:18 PM, Mez2 said:

Bat question for the group:

About a year ago my son cracked his Demarini CF (-10, USSSA) and we were able to claim the 1-year warranty on it. That has been his only non-Marucci bat ever, he pretty much exclusively swings a Marucci - wood bat, aluminum, composite, etc - we have a $350 voucher for a new Demarini bat so wanted to see if anyone had any insight or thoughts on the Zoa or The Goods, anyone like one over the other? He's not a power hitter but more gap to gap (that's what she said)

He had the CF and liked it okay but prefers his Cat X...any feedback from those who have a Demarini? Will likely move him up to a -8 also with it

He is starting to get to the age where he prefers how the bat is weighted (whether he realizes it or not).   Generally, CATs are end weighted (usually what powers hitters prefer) vs Balanced, which is more evenly distributed.   That can help make the decision for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

Our 11u season came to a end today. Boys went 4-0 on the weekend. Scored 32 allowed only 4 runs. It's been the best season ( fall and spring) of learning, development that we've ever had. They went from 11-10 in fall to 19- 5 in spring. Lilshep finished season out today with mvp pitcher. Kid threw a no hitter in semi finals then threw 2 more innings in title game. 6 innings 1 hit no runs 1 walk and 5 k's on the day. He really dialed in this season on pitching. Threw 26 innings in spring only allowing 2 walks. 70% strike rate on season. His team was phenomenal on defense. Also found a way to .400 on season also.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 walks in 133 batters faced. Kids get up there expecting walk or work pitch count up , it doesn't happen. He does allow ball to be put in play but he can locate off speed for strikes to.

• Hook 'Em 1

7U team finished season off 16-0 with +191 run diff. The Space Cowboys let them go on the field Sunday before the game, and they got to hang with Chas McCormick, Hensley, Leon, et al. for 10 minutes and get their gear signed. Jose Urquidy was the starting pitcher. Urquidy appeared to neither speak English nor pitch baseballs well. Unforgettable experience for the boys. 

IMG_0753.thumb.jpeg.27579a8bbc9b5192275718921a14d120.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Urquidy appeared to neither speak English nor pitch baseballs well.

He only needs to do one of those.  Get off his back.

Question for my Austin brethern - we're looking to play our last tournament in the Austin area and make it our "destination" trip for the year. We'd like to get a place somewhere near the potential venues, so asking what parks/location do yall typically play at?

We're typically 10U AAA, Perfect Game tournaments. 

7 hours ago, Mez2 said:

Question for my Austin brethern - we're looking to play our last tournament in the Austin area and make it our "destination" trip for the year. We'd like to get a place somewhere near the potential venues, so asking what parks/location do yall typically play at?

Honestly it moves around quite a bit.  Field of Dreams in Henly (just west of Dripping Springs) is frequent, as is Kyle.  Round Rock, Taylor, Manor are other places for that age group.  Worst case is Temple or Burnet if you are staying in Austin.  I would recommend holding off on the hotel until they release the venue/schedule, which is typically Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.  There aren’t any venues in Austin proper for that age group.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Mez2 said:

Hit me up if you land at Field of Dreams.  I have an AirBnB 4 miles from there if you're looking for a place nearby.  Played tons of games there when my son was younger.   

• Hook 'Em 1

I am still coaching rec league. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! Got voted as the Allstars head coach. I love coaching so it is a chance to keep playing and coach some more kids. Setup my team with all the best pitchers and hitters I could. Pretty sure we are 10 deep pitching. Got 3 catchers as well. Never coached kid pitch Allstars, but I am sure pitching will be key based on my select ball experience. 

I called in all favors and got a bunch of awesome sponsors. Got the boys custom boombas bags, helmets, batting gloves and a bunch of other goodies. Working to get fees to zero for the parents. I am enjoying one last run coaching before both my boys are in the select system.

Looking forward to sweating my ass off in June and hopefully coaching these boys to the top of the mountain.  If anyone else has kids in centex Allstars, reach out and we can trash talk each other! Or laugh at me for sucking as a coach!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 12:43 PM, Mez2 said:

That division played at Lake Travis Field of Dreams this weekend. Previous tournament we played in that had 10u aaa was henly FOD. If you can wait till Wednesday/Thursday you would be smart. If you book out west and then play in Manor, you will be pissed.

DM me what location you end up at, my 9u son is playing next weekend and might be at the same facility. If so, I want to see what he needs to do next year in 10u to be worthy of a top team. If we both are at Henly, I will buy you a beer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Another championship game Sunday for these kids (9U AAA). We are facing Bobino’s kid on the mound - lefty who works super quickly and throws lots of strikes. We are down 3-2 in the fourth with about 45 mins until the game is official. Gonna take a gritty effort to win their third tourney this spring. Fun times regardless of the outcome and a great experience for the kids. 

IMG_9452.thumb.jpeg.f47fa77ebe555193ca8d85e81f94994f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Alright. 14U team went 4-0 on weekend and won tournament. Headed to Houston memorial day weekend for tournament as final outing for the Spring. Looking forward to seeing how team stacks up vs HTown kids. Wish Astros were in town as we are staying at Marriott Marquis. Once more into the breach. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 5/15/2024 at 12:43 PM, Mez2 said:

That age there was a lot at blackstar (kyle i think) or Dripping Springs @ Field of Dreams. 
Some up in Georgetown or Manor as well. 

There will be your choices of venues as there will be a couple of places running. 

I would stay like at Hill Country Hyatt to get kids waterpark vibe and then just deal with bit longer drive. Doesn’t really get you “Austin” in terms of destination but kids will have fun. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Well lilshep little league team (aggies) lost in first round last night. We were 11-0 playing a team that was 1-10. We lost due to 5 errors by our 2b and pitchers walking people. Our coach played for semi final game and managed that way. He pulled lilshep from pitching after he threw 3 perfect innings. To save him for Thursday but ultimately errors cost us. Oh well they lived up to the texas a&m legacy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Most of you have kiddos much younger than me, and it's always fun to read the posts and think back when my son was that age.  But, just got some bad news on my sophomore son.  He's not a phenom by any stretch and probably wouldn't even play in college, but he's a 6'2" lefty that throws hard and has a good breaking ball.  He started to experience some elbow pain several weeks ago, so we shut him down around spring break.  He said he felt fine two weeks later, so he pitched sparingly the remainder of the season.  Long story short, we had an MRI done and he has a full UCL tear.  Tommy John surgery scheduled for June 10.  He'll miss his entire junior season, and probably 50/50 that he'll be able to play next summer.  He's absolutely devastated.  Lots of 20/20 hindsight, but it's kind of a fluke deal, so we're trying not to second guess.  Definitely didn't over-tax the arm, good mechanics, strong legs / core, good arm care routine, and there wasn't one moment where he said he felt it go.  

We'll see how much he wants to grind, but it may be the end of his baseball career.  Enjoy the time with your boys on the field, and most importantly, make sure they enjoy it while they can!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Most of you have kiddos much younger than me, and it's always fun to read the posts and think back when my son was that age.  But, just got some bad news on my sophomore son.  He's not a phenom by any stretch and probably wouldn't even play in college, but he's a 6'2" lefty that throws hard and has a good breaking ball.  He started to experience some elbow pain several weeks ago, so we shut him down around spring break.  He said he felt fine two weeks later, so he pitched sparingly the remainder of the season.  Long story short, we had an MRI done and he has a full UCL tear.  Tommy John surgery scheduled for June 10.  He'll miss his entire junior season, and probably 50/50 that he'll be able to play next summer.  He's absolutely devastated.  Lots of 20/20 hindsight, but it's kind of a fluke deal, so we're trying not to second guess.  Definitely didn't over-tax the arm, good mechanics, strong legs / core, good arm care routine, and there wasn't one moment where he said he felt it go.  

We'll see how much he wants to grind, but it may be the end of his baseball career.  Enjoy the time with your boys on the field, and most importantly, make sure they enjoy it while they can!

Sorry to hear that for your boy. Sucks. Hope he gets great recovery and adds 5mph due to bionic arm post surgery 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ding ding ding. He’s about to throw juice. 

I hope so.  I've read that a lot of the gains are from better, more focused strength and flexibility as a result of the PT.  Not necessarily a bionic ligament.  Who knows...

He was sitting in the low to mid 80s this spring, so a 5+ mph bump may turn some heads. 

• Hook 'Em 1