HCU @ #16 Texas (Tuesday, 2/20, 6:30p on LHN)

MuellerHorn

4 minutes ago, Hondo said:

I don't think I'll truly understand how we have such issues stacking a roster.  We're only one of the top baseball programs in college baseball history.  Why are we always so damn thin while other programs just reload every year?

And every program has holes. Even LSU. We just watch Texas every game and think it’s isolated to us. LSU fans pulled their hair out at their pitching staff every time Skenes wasn’t on the mound last year.

Edited by Hookem2147

10 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, I’m going to temper my expectations for this team. 

Granted, Pierce’s teams always get better as the season progresses, but this squad seems to have a lot of holes. 

Yeah talk to me in a month. He seems to play around with the lineup and rotation. Then he pretty much used the same starting lineup and pitching rotation/roles come conference time 

16 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Granted, Pierce’s teams always get better as the season progresses, but this squad seems to have a lot of holes. 

I think that is always said on here during the early parts of the season and by conference play they’re in good form. Hell, we were a fly ball in the lights from going to the CWS with Daly and O’Dowd up the middle. 

It’s a young squad especially in some key areas and it’s going to be a bit of a roller coaster for the early stretches but we’ll be fine. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah talk to me in a month. He seems to play around with the lineup and rotation. Then he pretty much used the same starting lineup and pitching rotation/roles come conference time 

I told my dad and brothers "yall don't need to tune in until April"

I'm far from thinking these guys are gonna suck but they have some shit to address leading into B12 play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Levi said:

Hell, we were a fly ball in the lights from going to the CWS with Daly and O’Dowd up the middle. 

Sure but this is Texas. CWS is the standard. 

Point being - "almost made the CWS" will get you fired here eventually. And the year before that we got fucking smoked in Omaha. 

Again - nowhere near freaking out about these guys - but some of the concerns are warranted thus far. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Horns are teeing off tonight. Excellent job of hitting to handle that high-and-inside pitch. Got compact and really turned on it.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

That's a great fucking hit. 

Agreed. That was an excellent pitch; not one that typically leads to extra bases.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Horns are teeing off tonight. Excellent job of hitting to handle that high-and-inside pitch. Got compact and really turned on it.

We have some pop. Not an aspect of this team I'm concerned about. (yet)

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Sure but this is Texas. CWS is the standard. 

Point being - "almost made the CWS" will get you fired here eventually. And the year before that we got fucking smoked in Omaha. 

Again - nowhere near freaking out about these guys - but some of the concerns are warranted thus far. 

Of course but my original point was expectations can be way off only 2 weeks in the season and Pierce has proven to do more with less. Thomas looked lost in the field as a freshman but turned it on later in the season and was one of the best players. We have a handful this year that can easily follow that trajectory. 

I’m not discounting what the standard should be either. Getting to the CWS is damn hard and this program has pretty much made it a tradition. But Pierce addressed his pitching holes in the portal and then bad injury luck happened, what is he supposed to do? In the filed let’s see how Flores, Galvin, and Gasparino develop before we declare anything substantial. 

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Roster is pretty incomplete with Witt being what he is and none of the transfers working.

46 minutes ago, Levi said:

I think that is always said on here during the early parts of the season and by conference play they’re in good form. Hell, we were a fly ball in the lights from going to the CWS with Daly and O’Dowd up the middle. 

It’s a young squad especially in some key areas and it’s going to be a bit of a roller coaster for the early stretches but we’ll be fine. 

Problem is we can get to Omaha on good coaching and teams getting better, but we probably can’t win it with big roster holes like we seem to have often under DP.

At some point though he’s gonna get the right combo of roster and health (which if the Witt injury doesn’t happen that team was pretty stacked) and get it done. 

• Hook 'Em 2