MLS 2024 - The Messi Year

Captain Ron

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

What the heck, let’s start up a thread about this. This season is going to be unlike anything the MLS has seen since at least 2007 when Beckham joined the Galaxy.

Miami has to be the favorites to win it all (Vegas thinks so). 

They looked incredibly dominant in the first half last night like RSL was scared to try to play with them. In the 2nd half it felt like they realized that Miami is in fact old and they can run with them. It'll be interesting to see how many minutes the Barca guys get and how well all of them hold up as the summer heat wears on.

• Hook 'Em 1

Probably worth posting a few of the new MLS rules.  We'll see how good they are at implementing them.  I'm glad that I don't have to synchronize my watch at the end of each half any longer.

Off-Field Treatment Rule

The Off-Field Treatment Rule allows medical professionals with time to assess and treat players off the field of play in a less pressurized environment.

If a player with a suspected injury remains on the ground for more than 15 seconds, the referee will stop play and wave the medical crew onto the field to evaluate the player. When safe, the player will be removed from the field and remain off the field for a minimum of two minutes for further assessment and treatment.

First implemented in MLS NEXT Pro midway through the 2022 season and continued through the entirety of the 2023 season, the Off-Field Treatment Rule has allowed medical staffs time to treat players, while also allowing match play to resume quickly.

Exceptions to the Off-Field Treatment Rule include instances of potential head injury, goalkeeper injuries, serious medical events, and fouls resulting in yellow or red cards.

Timed Substitution Rule

Maximizing effective match time, the Timed Substitution Rule requires that a substituted player exit the field within 10 seconds. Failure to exit from any point on the field within the 10 seconds will cause the incoming player to wait for a 60-second holding period, before entering the game at the next stoppage. During the holding period and prior to the substitute entering, the team will play down a player. Exceptions to the rule include injury and goalkeeper substitutions.

Enacted in MLS NEXT Pro during the 2023 season, 99.7% of the more than 3200 substitutions were completed in 10 seconds or less.

In-Stadium VAR Announcements

Pending International Football Association Board (IFAB) approval, VAR decisions will be announced by the referee to fans in stadium and viewers at home.

Stoppage Time Clock

Scoreboard, video boards, and/or stadium clocks will run until the completion of each half, including any additional time at the end of either the first or second half (ex: 95:04).

Return To Play Equity

Opposing players who simultaneously incur head injuries requiring off-field treatment, who are subsequently cleared to return to play, will return to the game at the same time, once both medical evaluations have been completed.

11 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Is anyone here a Houston Dynamo fan?

I might be flying down tomorrow for the St. Louis at Houston game.

Mike may be starting for St. Louis, which would be his debut for the big team

FUCK the renamed Houston 1836ers!!

Shitty shade of orange. 

16 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Is anyone here a Houston Dynamo fan?

I might be flying down tomorrow for the St. Louis at Houston game.

Mike may be starting for St. Louis, which would be his debut for the big team

I'm an Austin FC fan but I did go to a ATXFC game in Houston last year. Stadium is situated well downtown close to bars/restaurants. The stadium itself isn't up say St. Louis' stadium, but the views are solid.

Edited by SimonBolivar

24 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm an Austin FC fan but I did go to a ATXFC game in Houston last year. Stadium is situated well downtown close to bars/restaurants. The stadium itself isn't up say St. Louis' stadium, but the views are solid.

Just made my flights. Just staying for the one night and coming home Wednesday. I am excited for this. The St. Louis stadium is really nice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Austin kit looks good to me.  The team on the other hand . . . 

Most of the MLS "experts" are expecting a Seattle/LAFC battle out West and an Ohio/Florida battle in the East.  

Portland looked good Saturday night. I wouldn't count them out. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

The Brooklyn Kristallnachts also had to change their team’s name back in the late 1940s because apparently their prospective fan base wasn’t onboard with the name. 

Who could have guessed?

🤷‍♂️

Yeah but they went and changed it to Commie

Hell, I flipped on where the game is supposed to be and I see Philly and Saprissa. And I see Philly up 6-5 on aggregate in extra time. And they scored the go ahead goal down a man on a corner kick.

They gotta kill off the 2nd half of overtime to win this ....

10 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

How was your trip @PittsburghTiger?

It was great. Thanks for asking. It was a 24-hour trip. The game was fun. I didn’t like the outcome but, the stadium is very nice. Sat right behind the goal, off to the side a bit, after starting a conversation with a Houston season ticket holder and he told me to stay and sit in one of his seats.

It was a physical game, really evident from our first-row seats. Mikey played very well. 

The St. Louis offense was terrible with the ball. Their average time per possession had to be 15 seconds or fewer. Houston had a lot to do with that so I am not making any excuse. Houston deserved to win.

the Marriott Marquis was very nice & convenient. Lunch at Pappasito’s was great, made even better after a call to a friend who has been in Houston for over 20 years.

I had not been to Houston since 1997 when Pitt played at the Cougars. Also the last time I had Pappasito’s. We are thinking of coming back for the regular season game of St Louis @ Houston if our schedule allows.

Edit: Southwest was even on time for both flights today. The funniest part of the day was when my flight from Houston to Chicago Midway flew right over Mikey’s St. Louis apartment 

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)

Wow, that was cool. Soccer in the snow is crazy 

Just finished watch St Louis v NYC. St Louis won,  2-0. They played way better with the ball than they did in Tuesday night’s loss to Houston. NYC did not look good and there looked to be tension on the bench. I’m thinking the NYC coach does not last the season.

Mikey was on the bench but did not get subbed in.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 2

Only 11 days after this post…

Messi & Friends had had enough.

Cincinnati sign USMNT defender Yedlin from Inter Miami

FC Cincinnati announced the signing of Inter Miami defender DeAndre Yedlin for $172,799 in General Allocation Money on Monday.  

Sources had confirmed the transfer to ESPN's Jeff Carlisle on Sunday.

"We're excited to welcome DeAndre and his family to Cincinnati," Cincinnati GM Chris Albright said. "He is a natural leader who will add valuable experience and quality to our group. We are confident he will be a great fit for us on and off the field, and we look forward to him joining us."

Inter Miami said in a news release that the move gave the club roster flexibility.

"DeAndre has been a leader for us on and off the field, and we're very thankful for everything he has done for Inter Miami. I've known him since his academy days in Seattle, and have been proud to see his success here, including helping the team lift its first trophy," Miami sporting director Chris Henderson said. "This trade gives us the flexibility to continue building our roster. Our ambitions remain high and we will look to use the space created by this move to improve our squad as we aim to compete for titles."

Yedlin, who played for the United States men's national team as recently as last year, will take over at right wing-back in Cincinnati manager Pat Noonan's system. The position needed reinforcing following the offseason departure of Santiago Arias.

For Miami, the move gives the Herons increased salary budget flexibility, given that Yedlin's cap hit was $683,000. In terms of who will replace Yedlin in Miami's lineup, Julian Gressel has played right-back in the past.

Gressel has performed well in the center of Miami's midfield, assisting on two goals so far this season, but new acquisition Federico Redondo is expected to get his U.S. work visa this week, and he is among the options to play in midfield.

The trade also gives Miami flexibility to acquire an additional player should that be deemed necessary.

Inter Miami have been linked with Houston Dynamo defender Franco Escobar.

Yedlin should do plenty to bolster Cincinnati's defense given his breadth of experience.

He broke in with the Seattle Sounders in 2013. The defender went on to play two seasons in Seattle before heading to Europe, first with Tottenham Hotspur and later with Sunderland, Newcastle United and Galatasaray.

He joined up with Inter Miami prior to the 2022 season. All told, Yedlin has made 338 league and cup appearances at the professional level, scoring seven goals.

At the international level, Yedlin has made 81 appearances with the U.S. and was part of the 2014 and 2022 World Cup rosters.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39652382/cincinnati-sign-usmnt-defender-yedlin-inter-miami

I’m thinking that if you want to play in Miami, it would behoove you to speak Spanish… and not to make pregame speeches.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

New England Revolution got their anus ripped open by Club America of Mexico City last night, 0-4.

i wrote “0-4” instead of “4-0”, because the anal intrusion occurred up in Foxboro in front of their own fans.

Occasional US international, Alejandro Zendejas, scored the the 2nd goal.

Columbus Crew 1-1 with some Mexicans, but Canadian-American Aidan Morris picked up two yellows two minutes apart and will have to miss the second leg with the Mexicans from UANL will demonstrate to the Crew why they are known as ANAL U.

Pretty sick.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/lists/columbus-crew-mls-history-defeat-tigres-concacaf-champions-usmnt-olympic-goalkeeper-patrick-schulte-hero/bltc18f69fc120c949d

The Crew became the first MLS team to ever win on the road in Mexico in CONCACAF Champions Cup action after losing the home leg Tuesday night. A 1-1 draw in the home leg was followed by the same result Tuesday evening, and with both sides level on away goals, the match went to extra-time to try and find a winner.

After no result was found, the match was determined from the penalty spot. Former MLS SuperDraft picks Patrick Schulte and Max Arfsten were the heroes late on, coming up clutch in the shootout.