The 2024 Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup - general NHL playoffs discussion thread

Who you got? It's hard to bet against my Stars right now, but you just never know - which makes this tournament the most exciting in sports. I could see Boston emerging out of the East. No idea how the West will shake out. I think it's the better conference this season with more talent 1-8 than the East, but again, time will tell. Enjoy!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Yeah that was a very "off" game for the Canes in game 1, at least the first 2 periods, and they still came out with the W. Isles have essentially been playing for their season since before the deadline, so you can get some games where the favorite takes a while to get to their game. The Isles might take one back up in NY but that's probably it. 

Canes in 5

Rangers in 6

Bruins in 5

Bolts in 7

Stars in 6 

Jets in 7 (don't trust the Jets but I trust the Avs goaltending even less)

Nucks in 7

Oil in 5

I haven’t thought too much about it but knee jerk is Carolina/Florida in the East and Colorado/Edmonton in the West. Give me Carolina over Colorado in the Finals.

If the Stars can get past Vegas and Colorado/Winnipeg in R2, the Stars will get to the Finals. How’s that for hedging a bit.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I haven’t thought too much about it but knee jerk is Carolina/Florida in the East and Colorado/Edmonton in the West. Give me Carolina over Colorado in the Finals.

If the Stars can get past Vegas and Colorado/Winnipeg in R2, the Stars will get to the Finals. How’s that for hedging a bit.

You need to watch more Avs games. They suck defensively and have no goaltending. They’ll be lucky to make it out of Round 1. 

The Avs seem to be taking a "the goalie can't cost us games if the puck's down in the other end the entire game" approach. 
The goalie can definitely cost them games. How do you score 6 on Winnipeg and lose?

7 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

You need to watch more Avs games. They suck defensively and have no goaltending. They’ll be lucky to make it out of Round 1. 

Grigoriev is terrible. Winnipeg is damn good. That game was bananas.

Coloarado has so much firepower. Can’t imagine them going out R1 two straight years but the Jets are tough.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Grigoriev is terrible. Winnipeg is damn good. That game was bananas.

Coloarado has so much firepower. Can’t imagine them going out R1 two straight years but the Jets are tough.

I had already pegged this as the series to watch (not only because if Stars win they get the winner) but just seemed like a great matchup.  Game 1 did not disappoint.   I think common thought is to root for the Jets as a Stars fan but they have been so damn hot to end the season either matchup would be extremely tough if we get past Vegas.   I'm just rooting for it to go 7.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I had already pegged this as the series to watch (not only because if Stars win they get the winner) but just seemed like a great matchup.  Game 1 did not disappoint.   I think common thought is to root for the Jets as a Stars fan but they have been so damn hot to end the season either matchup would be extremely tough if we get past Vegas.   I'm just rooting for it to go 7.

Yeah, I think the Jets are as good as anybody in the West. I only picked Colorado (again, a knee jerk pick) because of MacKinnon and Makar and Rantanen, etc.

Crazy stat from the studio show yesterday. They showed a clip from 1988 yesterday with Gretzky scoring a GW shortie against Calgary after Messier took a tripping penalty in OT. The tie-in was Grant Fuhr was the Edmonton goalie that day. That was the last season when a goalie led the NHL in wins but gave had a 3+ GAA and sub .900 save percentage before Georgiev turned the trick this year.

52 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Colorado is just paper-thin again.  If they get anybody hurt (and I don't just mean 29 and 8), they're screwed.

What happened to their defense? In 2022, they looked fantastic. Tough in front of the net, transitioned out of the zone well, didn’t turnover pucks often. The defense is pretty much the same (minus Byram) but they look like a completely different unit. Josh Manson cost the Avs game 1 yesterday. That might have been one of the most pathetical displays of defensive play I’ve ever seen in the playoffs. 

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Colorado is just paper-thin again.  If they get anybody hurt (and I don't just mean 29 and 8), they're screwed.

You live here now.  Better get on the fucking bandwagon.  Nuggets, too.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2024 at 7:57 PM, Chewbacca said:

You live here now.  Better get on the fucking bandwagon.  Nuggets, too.

Eh, my hockey ticket money will be going to DU...

And fuck the NBA.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

Nah, it’s playoff hockey. Skate with your fucking head up if you don’t want to get your shit pushed in. 

Be that as it may, you can’t hit guys in the head