I Belize we need this topic....

Reagan1k

ATM cave is completely incredible, a must do. Hike in, cross a river three times (once swimming) and then literally swim into the cave. Half mile in half mile out. Lots of swimming and climbing and squeezing through spaces. Inches away from thousand year old artifacts and bones.

There was a spot where you had to fit your head and neck through just above the water and our guide said “watch your jugular”

My watch says it was about 4.5 miles total. About a 6.5 hour excursion. No pics, cameras are forbidden.

That sounds intense… you feel like Dr. Jones after that excursion?

That sounds intense… you feel like Dr. Jones after that excursion?

For sure. They fill you up with chicken and rice and beans and salad afterwards, and you are starving.

It’s intense at times but doable even for a 50 year old fat guy like me. Our guide was awesome. They only allow a small number of guides and they can only take 8 people at a time, so there are lots of times when you feel like the only ones there.
  • Like 1

Yup. Hit the Xunatunich ruins this morning and drove to the Guatemala border since it’s right there. Stopped at the Green Iguana Reserve that’s at the San Ignacio Resort. Totally worth it, the kids loved it. Grabbed lunch at The Burnz which was good, now trying to nap but the DJ music from the park is rattling our house. Could be a long night. 

9FC85AE4-CD00-4CFD-BC1B-A815C4372344.jpeg

FC1B2E0E-66A7-4970-8086-D7598622E79A.jpeg

E5E3667D-2C95-402C-B49B-E2EB3B40BBCE.jpeg

4BC0CDED-364F-4A8F-B71F-4460703B598D.jpeg

13DE6112-B485-4D6D-994C-6C4208D227EF.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back from 5 nights in Belize and it was without question the best vacation I've ever been on.

Stayed on Ambergris Caye with a group friends, stayed in a villa, snorkeled with sharks and rays, dove with barracuda and lobster and rays and tons of other fish (sadly no turtle spottings). Ate more ceviche than I could have imagined, drank tons of rum and Belikin, drove around San Pedro in golf carts, hung at Secret Beach, and just generally had a kickass time. I would highly, highly recommend it. We will definitely be going back.

We did a food tour and that was a highlight. Stopped at 7 different local spots and had something on the menu at each one, plus a drink at each stop. Every single bite was fantastic. 100% would recommend. But go HUNGRY. It's a lot of food.

Elvi's Kitchen, Briana's Food Place (we each got 4 items here), Big Taste (unbelievable conchinita pibil taco), Saul's Cigar and Coffee House (amazing rum cream), Lily's Treasure Chest (ceviche...kind of a waste with all the ceviche all over the island), Pupuseria Salvadoreno, and finally Holiday Hotel for Key Lime pie. All for $72USD

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Headed to Belize at the end of March, 2024 (as long as the world is still standing).  Flying into Belize City.  Probably stay Saturday - Thursday/Friday.  

• We want to relax, yet remain active (see ruins, hike, snorkel, zipline, etc.)
  • San Pedro looks fun, but only if we want to veg-out the entire time.  Too much travel back and forth to mainland.  
  • Some friends did San Pedro, and did the back and forth travel, and they said they preferred Hopkins area.

Before I go any further, where should I stay?  It is me and my girlfriend, and two 14 year old girls who are semi-adventurous. It all starts with where to stay, then I'll go from there!

1 hour ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Headed to Belize at the end of March, 2024 (as long as the world is still standing).  Flying into Belize City.  Probably stay Saturday - Thursday/Friday.  

• San Pedro looks fun, but only if we want to veg-out the entire time.  Too much travel back and forth to mainland.  
  • Some friends did San Pedro, and did the back and forth travel, and they said they preferred Hopkins area.

Before I go any further, where should I stay?  It is me and my girlfriend, and two 14 year old girls who are semi-adventurous. It all starts with where to stay, then I'll go from there!

San Pedro is a massive party spot. Golf cart city. It’s fun if you know exactly where you’re going and what to do….roaming around island is sketchy at dusk. Great spot for a guys trip IMO.

Scuba there is unreal.

I’d focus on Hopkins and check out Placencia…just further south…great area just need to stay/visit the end of the peninsula there.

1 hour ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Take some cash, because Jett at the airport bar doesn't take cards, and the ATM is outside of security

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Any recs on places to stay in either of those areas?  Is Belize City the best to fly into?  Take taxis or puddle jumpers to get to Hopkins or Placencia?

Stumbled upon Chabil Mar Villas.  Anyone ever been?  Worth the cost?

https://chabilmarvillas.com/belize-adventure-vacations-discoveries/placencia-belize.html

On 4/24/2023 at 11:49 AM, nolongerU2horn said:

Back from 5 nights in Belize and it was without question the best vacation I've ever been on.

Stayed on Ambergris Caye with a group friends, stayed in a villa, snorkeled with sharks and rays, dove with barracuda and lobster and rays and tons of other fish (sadly no turtle spottings). Ate more ceviche than I could have imagined, drank tons of rum and Belikin, drove around San Pedro in golf carts, hung at Secret Beach, and just generally had a kickass time. I would highly, highly recommend it. We will definitely be going back.

We did a food tour and that was a highlight. Stopped at 7 different local spots and had something on the menu at each one, plus a drink at each stop. Every single bite was fantastic. 100% would recommend. But go HUNGRY. It's a lot of food.

Elvi's Kitchen, Briana's Food Place (we each got 4 items here), Big Taste (unbelievable conchinita pibil taco), Saul's Cigar and Coffee House (amazing rum cream), Lily's Treasure Chest (ceviche...kind of a waste with all the ceviche all over the island), Pupuseria Salvadoreno, and finally Holiday Hotel for Key Lime pie. All for $72USD

Pupuseria Salvadoreno is the tits for late night drunk food.  I've stopped there numerous times.  Always got extra so I had hangover food too.

We're going hopefully over Christmas.  Going to check out Corozal and the area there and look at property.  Might get a place we can stay whenever we want and drop in the rental pool.  Also going to do the real estate thing in the San Pedro area.

• Hook 'Em 1

Take some cash, because Jett at the airport bar doesn't take cards, and the ATM is outside of security
There is an ATM literally next to jets. But agree to have cash anyway

I have considered Belize for a retirement vacation spot but the lack of medical care concerns me in the long run.

47 minutes ago, midtown said:

I have considered Belize for a retirement vacation spot but the lack of medical care concerns me in the long run.

When i went there wasn't.  So, big improvement since I've been there. 

1 hour ago, midtown said:

That's why we're going to look at Corozal.  It's right on the border with Mexico and the Mexican border town of Chetumal is the capital of Yucatan.  Which means it's got all the politicians there.  So, there's great medical care there.

There's apparently a decent sized ex-pat community in the area with the medical thing a big part of it.

True. I had considered Corozal as well after meet some expats in San Pedro who fly down for the day. Admittedly I spent about 15 mins looks at it. 

My understanding is that Chetumal has big box stores too but Corozal seemed really slow and the property seemed pretty average but I look forward to your report @Ag with kids

Edited by midtown

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Holy crap, I just searched "Belize" in my photos...I was last there in 2016.  I need to get back.

Definitely.  Its changed a lot. I've been every year since 2018 and twice last year so I don't think I notice it as much since its incremental.  For someone who has been in 7 years will be very different. Some will say for the better so will say for the worst  

Edited by midtown

Definitely.  Its changed a lot. I've been every year since 2018 and twice last year so I don't think I notice it as much since its incremental.  For someone who has been in 7 years will be very different. Some will say for the better so will say for the worst  

"Secret" Beach ain't secret anymore...

I still go to secret beach but it's becoming instagram/douche and it's losing it allure. The constant thump of house music in that setting doesn't really match imo. I don't mind the young hot ass though. I doubt Ill go again when Im down solo but if Im with a lady friend I will go

On 7/24/2023 at 9:53 AM, midtown said:

I still go to secret beach but it's becoming instagram/douche and it's losing it allure. The constant thump of house music in that setting doesn't really match imo. I don't mind the young hot ass though. I doubt Ill go again when Im down solo but if Im with a lady friend I will go

I think you have that backwards.

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2023 at 4:18 PM, Ag with kids said:

Pupuseria Salvadoreno is the tits for late night drunk food.  I've stopped there numerous times.  Always got extra so I had hangover food too.

What's the taco place over by there? It's great hang over food also. Tiny braised pork tacos for $0.25 each. Get a dozen and beer to cure any hangover.

• 4 months later...

Needed a few extra miles on UA by eoy so headed down to San Pedro for 4 nights then over to TPA to see my sister and family.

7th trip to Belize but first in 1.5 years. Staying at Blue Tang for the 4th time. They give me a discount.

Will fish for whaoo but 2 days with zero plans. If I can find some people to hang might hit secret Beach but otherwise just going to chill around San Pedro.

I've actually never set foot on Caye Caulker? Is it worth getting over there for a day?

Needed a few extra miles on UA by eoy so headed down to San Pedro for 4 nights then over to TPA to see my sister and family.

7th trip to Belize but first in 1.5 years. Staying at Blue Tang for the 4th time. They give me a discount.

Will fish for whaoo but 2 days with zero plans. If I can find some people to hang might hit secret Beach but otherwise just going to chill around San Pedro.

I've actually never set foot on Caye Caulker? Is it worth getting over there for a day?

My GF has been there several times with her best friend.  She says it's great and they really enjoyed it.  I unfortunately have had to miss those trips due to work and school.  From her rec I'd say a day trip would be worth it, even it's just to see what's there.

9 hours ago, midtown said:

Yes.  It's worth it.  

On 12/13/2023 at 9:31 AM, midtown said:

Yes, I love Caye Caulker.  Who do you go fishing for Wahoo with?  We are going to San Pedro and Caye Calker in June.

I'm fishing with Tino's cousin since Tino was booked.  I've fished with TIno probably 7 times.  We always do well.  His cousins name is Ilian.  His dad is Robbie of Chuck and Robbies.  If anyone wants phone numbers let me know.

I'll ask Tino or Ilian to take me over to Caye Caulker and drop me off for 4 hours or so.   

Debating going out on the Yolo.  Should be crammed with hot ass this time of year.   I've never been in high season but even the Blue Tang is at full capacity

Edited by midtown

I'm an old and don't want the nomad/backpack life. I want the Belekin/rum life. Stayed on Placencia at an Air BnB back in '09.
As far as I've seen Belize has never really had a big backpack kind of tourist draw. I've met a few young travelers and I always hear them kind of complain that Belize is boring. wahoos. Sandy toes palapa etc definitely appeal more to the 40 and up crowd. San Pedro is pretty quiet after 11 in my experience.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to be me there is a bit of a competition for retirees and digital nomads all over central america.  My only issue with any kind of permant place is Belize is access to health care as I age even though I am in pretty great shape for soon to be 53.  I cant imagine someone living there and having a heart attack or the sorts.
Was there for 4 days the week of Christmas.  Had a great time as usual.  Lots of changes, buidling etc.
They are building a big clinic right by Phoenix/Tradewinds right where that little fruit and vegtable stand was.   I did not make it to secret beaach but did take the ferry over to Caye Caulker and the split.  Met a couple from Newcastle UK and spent the entire day getting drunk with them.  Was only going to go for a few hours.  Ended up on the last ferry and it started to rain pretty good.  That ferry was rocking
Oh and I won the second crap race of the night with my crab named "chicken butt"
Got skunked looking for wahoo.  3 hits but nothing on the boat.  That's what happens when you go for one species. 

ca51e98afd4fa14332aacfa3a4e82948.jpg

Edited by midtown
  • Like 2

Thinking about taking the family to Belize in May (6 and 7 yo girls). We want to fly in to Belize City, puddle jump to Placencia, and then ride to Sirenian Bay resort.

Has anyone stayed at Sirenian Bay (other than Norm) or heard of anyone staying there?

Is taking my 2 little girls to this country with the above itinerary a safe idea?

This thread has me pretty excited about trip.

4 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Thinking about taking the family to Belize in May (6 and 7 yo girls). We want to fly in to Belize City, puddle jump to Placencia, and then ride to Sirenian Bay resort.

Has anyone stayed at Sirenian Bay (other than Norm) or heard of anyone staying there?

Is taking my 2 little girls to this country with the above itinerary a safe idea?

My girls were 8 & 2 when we went in '14.  They survived.

• Like 1

The only sketchy parts of Belize that 99% of tourists encounter is the neighborhood around the water taxi in Belize City and it's not a big deal as long as you don't wander off from the water taxis while waiting for your boat.  Since you are flying to Placencia, you don't even have to worry about that. 

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 9:56 AM, LonghornJones said:

Not an issue at all.  Belize is very safe.  It's just like any other place in the world. Dont do stupid shiit.  Don't go to parts that you shouldnt be going like Belize City or way south on Ambergris.  The only time I felt at all a tad uncomfortable was a few years ago when I had a tour to the ruins and cave tubing.  All of these tours are out of Belize City so instead of going to the island and then turning around and going right back to Belize City I stayed in Belize City at the Radisson. which is really close to the ferry terminal. I asked the hotel if there was a fun bar/grill near by for dinner and they looked at me and said "sir, you can not leave the hotel after 5pm.  It is very dangerous"  On the way back from the tour the next day our guide who grew up in Belize city and according to him was in a gang in his younger years drove us through all the really rough parts; "those guys aree lookout" and theyd wave at him etc and he'd wave back. I did have a "um ok. Im good now. You can go ahead and drop me off at the muni airstrip"  Which by the way is the best airport Ive ever been to.  Fun bar overlooking the runway.  Finished my last Belikin, walked 30 seconds to the terminal.  Maya staff Ok. hes here.  Lets go.  zero security etc

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2024 at 9:56 AM, LonghornJones said:

I haven't stayed at SB, but I stayed in Maya Beach. That peninsula is beautiful and kind of isolated. I wouldn't be worried more than usual taking kids there. Placencia has several nice hangouts and a beautiful beach. Pro tip: Hit the Duty Free at Phillip Goldman when you board your puddle jumper. Have a hotdog at Jet's waiting on your flight. (just keep your wife a safe distance from him)

On 1/24/2024 at 10:41 AM, RPM said:

Have a hotdog at Jet's waiting on your flight. (just keep your wife a safe distance from him)

I go at least once a year and sometimes twice and I haven't seen Jet at Jet's since befor the pandemic.  Sexual harassment at Golden has plumeted 

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, midtown said:

I go at least once a year and sometimes twice and I haven't seen Jet at Jet's since befor the pandemic.  Sexual harassment at Golden has plumeted 

I heard he was sick a few years ago and had to stop working. Thought it was temporary.