Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc.)

surlybevo

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Remember this tweet when you see regulators, big banks or other established financial players pump Proof of Stake or attack Bitcoin’s Proof of Work. 

Im not buying this and actually believe the opposite. In reality, both processes pay their respective miners and stakers the same percentage. Obviously you earn more rewards the more you stake but the percentages stay the same.

A poor(er) person with $100 staked in ETH 2 and Elon Musk with $100m staked, both earn ~5%. (I realize you can earn a bit more if you run a validated node with your hardware.)

but bitcoin mining has a high upfront cost to buy the hardware and there’s the ongoing maintenance/ electricity costs.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Im not buying this and actually believe the opposite. In reality, both processes pay their respective miners and stakers the same percentage. Obviously you earn more rewards the more you stake but the percentages stay the same.

A poor(er) person with $100 staked in ETH 2 and Elon Musk with $100m staked, both earn ~5%. (I realize you can earn a bit more if you run a validated node with your hardware.)

but bitcoin mining has a high upfront cost to buy the hardware and there’s the ongoing maintenance/ electricity costs.

The cost of mining infrastructure and energy is kind of the point. It’s what secures the network, then you’re rewarded for doing it. It’s what makes Bitcoin so secure.

Goldman Sachs doesn’t want to buy miners and electricity. They’d rather just buy 100,000 Eth and start staking to make 5% compounding interest. 

If they want they can buy enough sway to try to co-opt the network in some way or coordinate that kind of action. Much more difficult in bitcoin since the distributed network of nodes actually validates the transactions and approves changes. 

soooooooooooooooooooo, old putt has had a recent windfall of money. instead of saving it or blowing it on sugarbabies, i want to put it all into crypto and see what happens. 

if you had $10,000, where would you you put it and how do i get it there ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

soooooooooooooooooooo, old putt has had a recent windfall of money. instead of saving it or blowing it on sugarbabies, i want to put it all into crypto and see what happens. 

Voyager app is super easy. Throw on there, check out the rewards program, and spread it around. 

Free $25 in BTC: Use code 71CC1380C or this link to claim:

https://voyager.onelink.me/WNly/referral?af_sub5=71CC1380C
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

My usual answer is that the easiest thing to do that will likely perform quite well is 50/50 BTC/Eth. Buy and hold. Especially if you know next to nothing about the space. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

what to buy and why

Ok. Diving into this asset class can be a bit like drinking from a firehose, but I’ll try to help. 

Everyone in the space should own some bitcoin. People will suggest different percentages. I gave 50 just because it’s a nice number that still lets you play with other stuff. I know that is a bit intoxicating when you first discover all of this. In actuality I would start higher on bitcoin. Personally I’m at 90%. Ideologically I align more with it and it’s been de-risked relative to other cryptocurrencies. There is slightly less upside compared to some of the smaller ones. Like maybe only 10x over the next 4-5 years but “less” risk like I said. I will spoiler a diatribe I wrote a while back when someone asked what gives bitcoin value. 

Spoiler

My interest is more Bitcoin centric so I can help there. It’s a complex topic but I’ll try. Bitcoin’s value is derived from two basic attributes imo. First of all it is a verifiably scarce asset in a time of fiat abundance. There will only ever be 21 million Bitcoin. It doesn’t take a sophisticated observer of financial markets to see the enormous amount of money printing that has happened in increasing amounts since 2007-2008. We’re seeing some of the chickens coming home to roost now in the cpi numbers, but the effects have been obvious in the prices of real estate, health care and higher education for years. If you’ve been holding Bitcoin for a while now the cost of those things has actually gone down in Bitcoin terms in the face of massive fiat increases. 

The second big reason Bitcoin has value is it is an uncensorable form of money. Anyone on the planet that can access the network can transmit value over it. That used to be something that really only resonated with citizens in developing countries. But we now live in a country where the government is pushing for access to surveil any bank account with over $600 in it. If/when they get that it doesn’t take a lot to see a world where more and more transactions are flagged if you’re a “domestic terrorist” or engaging in activities that are detrimental to the climate or anything else the government doesn’t like. And if you think those are valid concerns that should be censored then you need to realize that power can be directed against anything eventually when the wrong person is in charge. I sleep well knowing that a significant portion of my wealth is outside the control of our legacy financial system and the government. 

In short, Bitcoin is freedom money that cannot be debased. Its price goes up as more people and entities decide they want to hold some for reason #1 or reason #2 or both.  

As far as the rest of the crypto ecosystem, it’s impossible to easily summarize even if I had all the knowledge. Basically your next best options on a bigger exchange like Coinbase will be the various smart contract protocols. They enable decentralized finance, NfT purchases, gaming shit and other things I’m forgetting or unaware of. 

The largest is Ethereum. It has the biggest market cap and moat. The safest bet of all these, but maybe less upside than the smaller ones if they’re successful. They’re navigating some structural changes currently. 

The other two big ones that are emerging as potential competitors/threats to Ethereum are Solana (Sol) and Avalanche (Avax). I’m not versed on how they technically may be superior to Eth, but they definitely have more upside but more risk as well. 

Others here can expand on a lot of this. The only other thing I’ll mention is please don’t buy any Xrp, BCh, BSV, or Litecoin. They’re all trash that draw newcomer’s money but not really worth following. You could make money but as someone pursuing a buy and hold strategy they should be avoided. 

If you have any other specific questions I’ll try to answer them. Good luck. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Coinbase has a recurring buy facility. 

3putt - what to buy depends upon your goals and risk tolerance.  I like to earn interest/staking rewards.  I own some Bitcoin on the Voyager platform (earning 5.75% APR paid monthly).  I own some Etherium on Coinbase staked and growing my ETH2 stack for the switch.  I own some Polkadot, Cardano and a few others staked on the Kraken platform.  

• Hook 'Em 1

PSA. If you've previously bought an ENS, aka .eth address, you can claim a new token at some point over the next 6 months. 

https://cointelegraph.com/news/ethereum-name-service-s-new-token-already-has-a-fully-diluted-cap-of-3-1t

https://cryptoticker.io/en/claim-ethereum-name-service-airdrop/

I bought an .eth address about 2 months ago, and the math works out to about 105-110 tokens. At this exact moment that is an airdrop worth about $4500.  Not bad but I'm going to hold off claiming the token right now. You have to connect your wallet to the ENS website. I'm hesitant to do that until I learn more about it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

13 hours ago, bernorange said:

Coinbase has a recurring buy facility. 

3putt - what to buy depends upon your goals and risk tolerance.  I like to earn interest/staking rewards.  I own some Bitcoin on the Voyager platform (earning 5.75% APR paid monthly).  I own some Etherium on Coinbase staked and growing my ETH2 stack for the switch.  I own some Polkadot, Cardano and a few others staked on the Kraken platform.  

i like high risk / high reward 

32 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Then you likely want to gamble on some new coins with low market cap.  Those have the most potential for high reward but they are also high risk.  Good luck.

my plan is to have a mix, but new coins intrigue me. ill read up on the tips given here and slowly start ramping up my account. thanks for the tips

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, topochico said:

Any major concerns about staking ETH on Coinbase if I am not planning to sell any time soon? 

I've had some ETH staked on Coinbase for roughly six months now.  No issues other than the fact that once you stake ETH, it becomes ETH2 and you can't unstake/withdraw it until some point in the future when/if the ETH network converts to ETH2 (expected possibly Q1 next year).

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/9/2021 at 9:26 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

PSA. If you've previously bought an ENS, aka .eth address, you can claim a new token at some point over the next 6 months. 

https://cointelegraph.com/news/ethereum-name-service-s-new-token-already-has-a-fully-diluted-cap-of-3-1t

https://cryptoticker.io/en/claim-ethereum-name-service-airdrop/

I bought an .eth address about 2 months ago, and the math works out to about 105-110 tokens. At this exact moment that is an airdrop worth about $4500.  Not bad but I'm going to hold off claiming the token right now. You have to connect your wallet to the ENS website. I'm hesitant to do that until I learn more about it.

I did the same thing and bought theroyalwe.eth on a long term deal a few months ago.  When I looked yesterday:

ens.png.0ce0187932b8e898f63fb54b1e4c37c0.png

Free money is good I guess.  I haven't sold any yet and don't know that I will any time soon.  The fees to swap on MetaMask were pretty brutal - about .03E yesterday. 

Edited by The Royal We
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I did the same thing and bought theroyalwe.eth on a long term deal a few months ago.  When I looked yesterday:

ens.png.0ce0187932b8e898f63fb54b1e4c37c0.png

Free money is good I guess.  I haven't sold any yet and don't know that I will any time soon.  The fees to swap on MetaMask were pretty brutal - about .03E yesterday. 

Awesome. I wish I had bought my address for more than 2 years but I'm not going to complain about free money.

I didn't participate in uniswap trading initially so I missed out on their token giveaway but I know people who made some decent money for just trying out uniswap. It shows how quality projects are willing to reward users that help them be successful. I need to be on the lookout for new projects that may lead to this.

I can't decide if ENS will be successful from a token perspective or not. The price has varied from 40 to 85 these past couple of days. On one hand holding the tokens give you ownership in their organization including voting power. They also may share future revenue but this is only my speculation. On the other hand, a large number of people may just dump their tokens for a quick buck. I may split the difference and sell half if/when gas prices drop.

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Awesome. I wish I had bought my address for more than 2 years but I'm not going to complain about free money.

I didn't participate in uniswap trading initially so I missed out on their token giveaway but I know people who made some decent money for just trying out uniswap. It shows how quality projects are willing to reward users that help them be successful. I need to be on the lookout for new projects that may lead to this.

I can't decide if ENS will be successful from a token perspective or not. The price has varied from 40 to 85 these past couple of days. On one hand holding the tokens give you ownership in their organization including voting power. They also may share future revenue but this is only my speculation. On the other hand, a large number of people may just dump their tokens for a quick buck. I may split the difference and sell half if/when gas prices drop.

Yea, it's hard to know for sure.  I did see some whales bought huge amounts of ENS tokens - like $3mm worth, so that's probably going to keep the price pretty propped up.  If it goes above 100 then I might sell 29.547 just so I can have a nice round number of them. 

I love that this type of structure is becoming the norm in Web3 - uniswap would be a great one to own too.  OpenSea would be wise to do it before they are replaced by someone else, but it seems like they are too greedy to allow that.

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

Yea, it's hard to know for sure.  I did see some whales bought huge amounts of ENS tokens - like $3mm worth, so that's probably going to keep the price pretty propped up.  If it goes above 100 then I might sell 29.547 just so I can have a nice round number of them. 

I love that this type of structure is becoming the norm in Web3 - uniswap would be a great one to own too.  OpenSea would be wise to do it before they are replaced by someone else, but it seems like they are too greedy to allow that.

Even if it's not for the free tokens, I'm happy I bought an .eth addresses. It makes so much easier to transfer funds to the wallet. Not that copy&paste was difficult but I felt that I always had to quadruple check everything. I feel this is more secure and easy.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t know about the metamask rumor but my hot take is that we’re starting to see a new shift in tech. You used to pay a vendor to use their software or product. Then many products became free supported by ads or the customer becames the product. Now we’re seeing organizations that allow the customers become part of the ownership via airdrops.

if true about metamask, I would guess that metamask wallets with recent transactions and/or have a balance could receive some tokens. It might be worthwhile to start a few wallets and drop some eth in each.

If any of y'all could explain the previous 10 posts or so in English, I'd appreciate it.  I'm looking to buy right now, but have no idea where to go.  Right now I've got about 75% in Bit/Ether/Ether2 with the other 25% in various smaller cryptos I've run across since starting this past July.  I know past results aren't guaranteed to go forward, but I've doubled my $ thus far.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

If any of y'all could explain the previous 10 posts or so in English, I'd appreciate it.  I'm looking to buy right now, but have no idea where to go.  Right now I've got about 75% in Bit/Ether/Ether2 with the other 25% in various smaller cryptos I've run across since starting this past July.  I know past results aren't guaranteed to go forward, but I've doubled my $ thus far.  

A few posts were about ENS or Ethereum Name Service. You know that you can register web sites like surlyhorns.com for the internet? Similar concept but with ethereum wallets addresses.  You could register knoxtnhorn.eth or whatever.

This service just created a token and gave away 25% of their organization to customers. Whether the ENS token goes anywhere? Who knows. It dropped a fair amount today after flying high yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Coinbase is legit and I don’t worry about linking a bank account.

im still reading up but about to jump in with a $1000 burning a hole in my pocket 

one $1000 hooker or one thousand $1 hookers ???

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

im still reading up but about to jump in with a $1000 burning a hole in my pocket 

one $1000 hooker or one thousand $1 hookers ???

That's the danger with Coinbase.  I started with a couple of thousand.  The interface is so easy, it's hard not to press 2 buttons and buy more on whims.

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A few posts were about ENS or Ethereum Name Service.

I was reading a news story about some new coin that gifted 110k coins to Vitalik Buterin (sp?) in a viral marketing ploy.  The news publisher used something called Etherium Explorer (not the real name - I don't recall the exact name).  You can see exactly how many coins a given wallet owns if you know the address.  The .eth ENS names make that easy.  Not great for privacy.