Tell me about New York City

On 3/2/2023 at 11:25 PM, BearSchlong said:

Anyone been to Hagi on 51st? My sister is thinking about it as a pre-show place.

Used my hookup in the Hadestown producer’s office to get house seats for my sister and they are the exact same seats we had last weekend.

Since Chowhound has gone caput, everyone posts on Hungry Onion.  Hagi has been recommended a number of times on there for cheap eats, so might be good.  

Went to opening night of A Doll's Hpuse with Jessica Chastain tonight.  Very interesting production.  It is one of NY favorite plays, and I enjoyed it.  Chastain was great.  Will be interesting to see the reviews.  I could see it going either way.  

One of my bosses also produces shows, but not this one.  However, the first person I saw when I walked in the theater was him.  Lol.

Afterwards, while waiting for my car, saw the autograph hounds chasing Christian Slater down the sidewalk (he paused for selfies), then saw Bernadette Peters ghost everyone.  Lol.  On my way to dinner at Lord's.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Went to opening night of A Doll's Hpuse with Jessica Chastain tonight.  Very interesting production.  It is one of NY favorite plays, and I enjoyed it.  Chastain was great.  Will be interesting to see the reviews.  I could see it going either way.  

One of my bosses also produces shows, but not this one.  However, the first person I saw when I walked in the theater was him.  Lol.

Afterwards, while waiting for my car, saw the autograph hounds chasing Christian Slater down the sidewalk (he paused for selfies), then saw Bernadette Peters ghost everyone.  Lol.  On my way to dinner at Lord's.

It’s going to get raves. She won’t win best actress in a play but she’ll be a finalist. (Jodie Comer will win that award) 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

6 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

It’s going to get raves. She won’t win best actress in a play but she’ll be a finalist. (Jodie Comer will win that award) 

And it got great reviews.  The critics agreed with me.  She was absolutely outstanding,  Glad I went.  Will also be seeing Prima Facie.

13 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And it got great reviews.  The critics agreed with me.  She was absolutely outstanding,  Glad I went.  Will also be seeing Prima Facie.

We’ll be there in late may if you wanna coordinate. We’re there in late April too seeing 4 shows:

- Good Night, Oscar 
- Camelot 
- Sweeney Todd
- Summer 1976 

In May we’ll see: 

- Shucked
- Dancin
- Prima Facie
- Life of Pi or NY, NY 

• 2 months later...

I went and saw New York, New York on Saturday night.  It was ok.  The acting was very good, the voices were very good, but the story itself is very disjointed.  It was also tough since this week alone I saw Parade and Monsoon Wedding (playing at St. Ann's..trying to get to Broadway).  

On my list to see are:

Good Night, Oscar, Sweeney Todd, Shucked, Funny Girl, Prima Facie, and Fat Ham.  Once Upon a One More Time is opening soon.  

Off Broadway, I had tickets yesterday to Days of Wine and Roses, but was not in the mood and did not go.  Will try and go sometime soon.  Also, want to see Titanique and The Shark is Broken.  

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I went and saw New York, New York on Saturday night.  It was ok.  The acting was very good, the voices were very good, but the story itself is very disjointed.  It was also tough since this week alone I saw Parade and Monsoon Wedding (playing at St. Ann's..trying to get to Broadway).  

On my list to see are:

Good Night, Oscar, Sweeney Todd, Shucked, Funny Girl, Prima Facie, and Fat Ham.  Once Upon a One More Time is opening soon.  

Off Broadway, I had tickets yesterday to Days of Wine and Roses, but was not in the mood and did not go.  Will try and go sometime soon.  Also, want to see Titanique and The Shark is Broken.  

What did you think of Monsoon Wedding? Trying to decide on a second show to add to our itinerary for a NYC trip we're planning.

14 minutes ago, royiv said:

What did you think of Monsoon Wedding? Trying to decide on a second show to add to our itinerary for a NYC trip we're planning.

I enjoyed it. It has a really tough subject matter (Sexual Abuse by a family member) as a part of the story, but it is handled very, very well.  The music is great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, royiv said:

Anyone have any recent experiences at the Langham or strong opinions pro/con?

Stayed there in April on a last minute trip when our usual Bryant Park Hotel was sold out. It’s a nice hotel, good sized rooms, my favorite location in the city is right there by the park. Staff was meh but most all NYC hotels staff is meh 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Shame about NYNY. Had my weekly lunch with the producer’s BIL on Friday and had just put it on my list for next trip.

But yeah, the critics weren’t impressed.

Was thinking about coming up in Oct for that and the Opera “Dead Man Walking” at the Met.

We left at intermission - it’s that bland.

On 5/15/2023 at 9:42 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Going next Friday - it’s barely selling so got TDF tickets today for $50/each. 

The Tony’s likely don’t happen - I doubt t Shucked and NYNY survive the month of June. 

On 5/15/2023 at 10:19 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have heard Shucked is hilarious.

I will let you know.  I have a ticket to Shucked for tomorrow night.  Won the lottery today for a ticket.

So, weekend will go like this:

Friday night, Shucked.

Saturday, going to the member's morning hours at the Met for the Karl Lagerfeld exhibit then onto the Guggenheim to see the Picasso exhibit (will go to see Van Gogh's Cypresses at the Met next weekend in the AM).  Then trying to walk in for dinner at Tatiana in Lincoln Center (#1 in NY Times top restaurants in NYC).

Sunday, will have dinner at Alex Stupak's new place Mischa, then have a ticket to the last showing of Cecil Beaton's Diaries at 59 E 59th Theater.  

So, full weekend ahead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We tried to get into Tatiana after seeing Camelot and failed, may you have much better luck. 

Next Saturday, maybe we can meet at the Met. We have a 12:30 brunch with some friends down in Hell's Kitchen before 2 pm shows though so might be too tight a window. 

We can do morning member hours.  We can get in at 9 before the crowds.  I would be down with that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I will let you know.  I have a ticket to Shucked for tomorrow night.  Won the lottery today for a ticket.

So, weekend will go like this:

Friday night, Shucked.

Saturday, going to the member's morning hours at the Met for the Karl Lagerfeld exhibit then onto the Guggenheim to see the Picasso exhibit (will go to see Van Gogh's Cypresses at the Met next weekend in the AM).  Then trying to walk in for dinner at Tatiana in Lincoln Center (#1 in NY Times top restaurants in NYC).

Sunday, will have dinner at Alex Stupak's new place Mischa, then have a ticket to the last showing of Cecil Beaton's Diaries at 59 E 59th Theater.  

So, full weekend ahead.

So, on my way to the office, stopped into Linda Fargo and friends' closet sale.  Picked up an amazing Moschino Couture coat from Michelle Stein (former President of Aeffe USA who Moschino is a part of).  It is so extra.  I love it.  Yes, it is the coat Rhianna wore.

24F66E2E00000578-2922925-image-m-36_1421989538013.jpg

Will head down to the West Village from the office today for an early dinner before Shucked.  Hitting Mr. Capri, which I somehow have not heard of, but am looking forward to some Italian fare that harkens back to Capri and the Amalfi Coast.  

It is supposed to rain tomorrow.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

On 5/15/2023 at 2:51 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I enjoyed it. It has a really tough subject matter (Sexual Abuse by a family member) as a part of the story, but it is handled very, very well.  The music is great. 

We decided to add it to our upcoming trip. Any suggestions for dinner nearby to St. Ann's?

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

We decided to add it to our upcoming trip. Any suggestions for dinner nearby to St. Ann's?

Cecconi's is right next door.  Or you can just go to the Time Out Market, which is in the same building.  But I would do Cecconi's.  You can ask for an outside table and have a fantastic view!

https://www.cecconisdumbo.com/

AF1QipPd70qkD_RzEDp_a8Yag26aeUJGu8CXMjqu

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Will have roughly an hour to kill Saturday afternoon while my wife and her friend are at a show. Any good ver places closer than As Is (50th and 10th) and BXL Cafe I can kill the time in a calm bar? Rum House is my go to but want beer and their beer list understandably sucks. 

What cross streets you looking for?

On 5/21/2023 at 11:10 PM, DaysOff said:

Well, shuck. Still waiting on a Surly review.

I was cheering a stalk of corn tonight - that’s how fun this show is. 

It is all puns so if you hate them, stay far away. But it’s smart, the choreography is shockingly good, the songs are catchy and strong and the cast is great. KA I still think deserves the Tony but this was a fantastic night at the theater. My $52 TDF tickets were a steal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 8:45 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Leaving the Golden at 45th and 8th - she’s seeing SLIH at the Shubert 44th and 8th. Anything within a 10-15 min walk. I likely walk up to As Is since I love it but ya know 

On 5/25/2023 at 9:01 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Too late for an edit - I mainly want a quiet spot if possible with plenty of room. My vision isn’t great so finding open bar spots sucks sometimes! 

Might try Dutch Fred's or the Merrion Row Public House.  As Is is a good one as well.  You could go rooftop with Dear Irving, the Castell, or Elsie Rooftop.  Not sure opening time on some of those to be fair though.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I was cheering a stalk of corn tonight - that’s how fun this show is. 

It is all puns so if you hate them, stay far away. But it’s smart, the choreography is shockingly good, the songs are catchy and strong and the cast is great. KA I still think deserves the Tony but this was a fantastic night at the theater. My $52 TDF tickets were a steal. 

I will try and win the lottery again.  LOL.  

We saw Once Upon a One More Time last night.  SO MUCH FUN.  

We have tickets tonight to Good Night, Oscar.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I will try and win the lottery again.  LOL.  

We saw Once Upon a One More Time last night.  SO MUCH FUN.  

We have tickets tonight to Good Night, Oscar.  

Hayes’ performance is so so so good - the okay itself is meh but it’s irrelevant with this performance. Enjoy! 

Shucked looked sold out last night so I hope it’s caught an audience.  Good stuff on OUAOMT!

10 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Hayes’ performance is so so so good - the okay itself is meh but it’s irrelevant with this performance. Enjoy! 

Shucked looked sold out last night so I hope it’s caught an audience.  Good stuff on OUAOMT!

I really enjoyed the play.  Sean Hayes was amazing. 

On 5/27/2023 at 11:55 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Parade is better than Sweeney Todd as a revival.  It is so well directed and deep. Really glad to have seen it tonight. 

Glad you enjoyed it.  I thought it was outstanding!

I just pulled the trigger on a ticket to Sweeny Todd for Saturday night.  And I got a ticket for Prima Facie for Thursday, June 29 (so once I am back in town).  

On 5/25/2023 at 7:04 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Hit up Libertine tonight for their opening night.  Food is solid, wine list excellent (Catherine Riss Pinot!), and the atmosphere is very Paris.  I will be back.

20230525_172448.jpg

20230525_173041.jpg

20230525_172524.jpg

20230525_175743.jpg

20230525_174326.jpg

20230525_174420.jpg

20230525_175612.jpg

20230525_175802.jpg

20230525_182843.jpg

20230525_185104.jpg

A belated thanks for posting. I’ve walked by this building basically every day for the past 7 years or so. Gaetana’s was an institution but frankly wasn’t very good (at least in the past few years). Looking forward to trying this new spot. 

Justine’s, just around the corner on 10th and Hudson, is a good addition to the neighborhood as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nice little NYC weekend last week. Billy Joel at the Garden on Friday. Shucked on Saturday. Could've done without the heat and humidity, but the smoke looks worse. Shucked was awesome. Hit me with a risqué sophomoric joke every 60 seconds, and I'm happy.

• Hook 'Em 2