Tell me about New York City

9 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, so much for winter for the next day or two.  High of 63 expected in the city today.  Will be nice until the rain sets in this afternoon.  Alas, I actually have to go to the office today.  Then I am going to go see 1776 tonight before it closes.  

Don’t worry, we’re in town next Friday so expect a snowstorm. It’s clockwork for our January trips. 

The holidays in the city were pretty cool this year. I worked straight through them, but I got out enough on the weekends to enjoy them. It felt good to see so many people visiting again and seeing the fireworks in Central Park after the ball dropped was pretty cool.

Still I am glad to get a month long break and have time to myself and be left alone on vacation outside of the city. I hope the weather gets colder in NYC though so the kids can have some snow to play in sometime soon. One of the coolest things to see is watching families go out to Central Park when it snows enough because you see them get those plastic sleds and go down the hills and just have a blast.

Edited by UpperWestside

22 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

The holidays in the city were pretty cool this year. I worked straight through them, but I got out enough on the weekends to enjoy them. It felt good to see so many people visiting again and seeing the fireworks in Central Park after the ball dropped was pretty cool.

Still I am glad to get a month long break and have time to myself and be left alone on vacation outside of the city. I hope the weather gets colder in NYC though so the kids can have some snow to play in sometime soon. One of the coolest things to see is watching families go out to Central Park when it snows enough because you see them get those plastic sleds and go down the hills and just have a blast.

NYC in the middle of a big snowstorm is magic. I vividly remember walking from the original Tamarind in the LES or whatever all the way up to Bryant Park in the middle of 5th avenue. 

Two days after a snowstorm in NYC, however …

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was in town over the weekend, stayed at the Mandarin Oriental and had a great view. It’s usually too much for me to pay ($1600/night or so) but we got a decent deal so decided to splurge a bit. Saturday night they had some event that had like 25 Russian 20 or so year olds in tiny black dresses arrive, all trying to not have their boobs pop out outside when it was 35. That was weird but ogliarch gonna ogliarch.

3EF22082-7AAF-4164-8400-A4383EF5E1A0.jpeg.fe7ef9b1735661c5cf8352724d0e3e8a.jpeg

Dinner Friday was at Tamrind, which is always great. No pics, lighting was low and they serve you directly so it never looks “pretty.”

Saw &Juliet, Kimberly Akimbo and I saw Mike Birbiglia’s show while my wife saw Joey McIntyre at Carnegie Hall.   

&Juliet is great fun. It’s everything Moulin Rouge should’ve been - bright, funny, smart. Betsy Wolfe is so great. 

Kimberly Akimbo should win the Tony for best new musical I think. It’s brilliant - quirky, semi-dark, emotional. I need to see it aga8n - reminds me a bit of Fun Home. 

Im a huge Birbiglia fanboy so loved this performance. They recorded it that night for HBO so it’ll appear eventually (sat behind the camera and had a good talk with the director prior to the performance). 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 8:42 AM, Chopper said:

Saw this on View from the Wing. An 8 year study of NYC pizza by 1 man, Liam Quigley. https://elkue.com/nyc-slice/

image.thumb.png.79b7903d8c62fb57c05bced7cb1e88ad.png

I know NYC is known for their pizza, but I am about as far removed as you can be from there right now and I have had pizza twice here and the taste is superior to anything I have had in NYC. Pizza places in the city need to either up their game or just charge more and put better ingredients on the pizza. People will pay for it if it is really good.

I was told the weather there has been pretty mild. My friend that is watching my apartment said it was warm enough the other day that he took my shih tzu out fora mile walk. The weather has been all over the place this winter. A good snowstorm would be cool. I’m sure one will hit in February.

On 1/18/2023 at 5:57 AM, UpperWestside said:

I know NYC is known for their pizza, but I am about as far removed as you can be from there right now and I have had pizza twice here and the taste is superior to anything I have had in NYC. Pizza places in the city need to either up their game or just charge more and put better ingredients on the pizza. People will pay for it if it is really good.

Pizza in New Haven is better

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Moulin Rouge is Friday Feb 17, Hadestown on Saturday night, then a matinee of Six on Sunday. Staying at Essex House.

Saw it tonight here in KC for the first time. A great show with great music

• Like 1

So Moulin Rouge is Friday night?  Can you let me know specific start times?  Also, is it adults only?  Are there kids?

Right, MR is at 7 on Friday, all adults (3). Hadestown is 8pm on Saturday, and six is 2pm on Sunday. We will have a 4th friend (daughter’s college roommate) meeting us for Hadestown, other than that it’s just my wife, 23 yr old daughter, and me.

12 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Right, MR is at 7 on Friday, all adults (3). Hadestown is 8pm on Saturday, and six is 2pm on Sunday. We will have a 4th friend (daughter’s college roommate) meeting us for Hadestown, other than that it’s just my wife, 23 yr old daughter, and me.

MR is early and at the Al Hirschfeld at W 45th and 8th Ave.  I would recommend Kochi for that one.  Get a 5 PM reservation (They are at 10th and 46th) and let them know you have a show at 45th and 8th at 7.  We did this before a 7PM of Hamilton, which is about the same distance away as you are going to have to walk, and it worked perfectly.  Kochi is also easy because it is set menu, so you only have to decide on which one.  https://www.kochinyc.com/  Aaron Tveit is back as Christian, so well done.

Hadestown (which is really good, shame you are missing Patrick Page as Hades) is at the Walter Kerr Theater at 48th and Broadway.  For this one, I recommend Le Rock (in Rockefeller Center at 50th and Rockefeller Plaza).  It is outstanding.  Reservations open 14 days in advance.  You would want a 5PM res, and the people watching here is absolutely magnificent.  https://www.lerocknyc.com/  Just in case, definitely have a backup.  Samovar at 52nd and 8th is a good back up, and an easy walk to this theater.

The Six matinee on Sunday is at the Lena Horne Theater on W47th near 8th Ave and is at 2 PM.  Honestly, go down to either the Village or West Village and grab brunch at Dante or Dante West Village.  The cocktails are great.  They start brunch at 10 AM.  Other recommendations would be Dim Sum brunch at Jing Fong (10:30) or Nom Wah (10, get there early!) in Chinatown, then hitting the show.  

I am planning a similar weekend for the last weekend in Feb when a friend comes to town.  Right now, we have tickets to Some Like it Hot for Friday night (aiming for a Le Rock reservation), then we are debating going to see Bad Cinderella at the matinee the next day.  No idea what else to do, though I am leaning towards Overstory and Crown Shy for Friday night.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Headed next week, Wednesday night to Monday night. Staying at the Hilton in long island city since it is close to the office. Should have a bunch of free time Friday afternoon and over the weekend. Haven't been to NY in about a decade. I'm pumped and want to hit MSG for a game but other than that no real plans. Anything in long island city that I should check out vs just going focusing on things across the river?

One thing from our Christmas week trip....if you're going to do any touristy thing make sure you include the Summit One Vanderbilt. You get the outstanding, open air skyscraper views including an unparalleled look at the ESB. But a lot more. This is a must see / do.

Not a must do is going the week of Christmas. Avoid at all costs. We had a great time but everything was just packed, and beyond.

One thing from our Christmas week trip....if you're going to do any touristy thing make sure you include the Summit One Vanderbilt. You get the outstanding, open air skyscraper views including an unparalleled look at the ESB. But a lot more. This is a must see / do.
Not a must do is going the week of Christmas. Avoid at all costs. We had a great time but everything was just packed, and beyond.

We are doing the summit.

And I did NYC Christmas week a while back, culminating at a stay at Castle On The Hudson in Tarrytown, which was very neat.

9 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

This guy needs his own show. I’m sure Pebbles Bar is more scene than flavor for food but I’m going to check out some of his cocktails. 

Pebble Bar is ok.  I would rather be at Overstory, Katana Kitten, or Jeremy's than Pebble Bar.  Just my $0.02.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, it is no longer colder than a witch's tit here, though admittedly we went out on Friday night (IT WAS COLD!). A friend who works for the UN is moving to Rome (Jealous!), so we went to her going away.  I met another friend at the Ritz NOMAD.  We tried to go upstairs, but they were booked.  So, if you want to go to that rooftop, make sure to get a res.  The lobby bar is nice and the cocktails quite good, and not as expensive as I expected (i.e. about $20 per and not $30 per that some places charge).

Afterwards we went to Ciao Ciao in Williamsburg.  It was, if possible, colder in Brooklyn than in the city.  It is a cool little bar.  All cocktails are $15, so positively cheap by NYC standards.

Then I was lazy all weekend, which after last week (long hours, lots of stress) and the upcoming week (work colleagues in town, catching up with a friend who just moved back to the city), was needed.

Tuesday, have tickets to see Eddie Izzard in Great Expectations down at Greenwich House Theater.  Then Wednesday, it is a work dinner.  Then Thursday, my friend and I are going to the Chiara Condello Wine Dinner at King.  

Saturday, meeting folks for dinner at Zaab Zaab in Williamsburg.  Then doing a crawl in Flushing on Sunday.  So, big dining out week for me.