Tell me about New York City

The Puerto Rican Day Parade seems like something most of y’all would enjoy. I needed a restful day so I went to The Met this morning. I’m sitting outside now on the steps in front of the museum and seeing the end of the parade floats. I think all of my neighbors in East Harlem are out. Such a fun and positive energy from these very proud Boricuas. One of the best weekends to come to the city for the entire year. These people make the summer in East Harlem pretty cool.

• 1 month later...

Headed to NYC in October with wife and 10 yr old daughter. I’ve looked through the thread and noted several recommendations, but Any current recommendations for a hotel that you’ve stayed at and liked? Or, is there a neighborhood/area you recommend? Our main criteria are safe/clean/quiet, close to a subway stop, and budget in $500-600 (#surlypoor). It may be that I just pick a chain and a good location, but I’d love to hear from you all. 

Last year we ended up in Times Square, not because #tourist but just got a good deal. It was fine, but it was a minor beating to  wade through a crowd every time we left the hotel, especially with a kid. Hoping to end up somewhere central-ish but maybe a bit quieter.

funny side note: we get out of the car in the grocery store parking lot the other day, and my kid says, “It smells like New York!” I look around, and someone nearby is spending their lunch break lighting up. She nailed it  

• Haha 2

On 7/29/2023 at 9:40 PM, ohchaucer said:

Check the rates at the Conrad Tribeca. It’s south but a great spot and easy access to all of Manhattan. And also just a great easy family hotel.

This is where we stay when we visit my in-laws.  They live down the street.

It's a great hotel.

that being said, my wife is going solo in a couple weeks and they're completely booked..

This seems like the right thread. It’s been years since I’ve been to Sardi’s but it’s always a fun time for a drink if it’s not full tourist season. This feels like another piece of old New York gracefully slipping away and it makes me happy for the couple of decades I’ve been a part of this town.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/01/nyregion/sardis-bartender-joe-petrsoric.html

Cue Seinfeld Tony Award episode clips…..

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've had a long week this week.

Started on Sunday with brunch at The Yellow Rose, then beers at McSorley's, wine at The Ten Bells, then dinner at Nom Wah.  Had a colleague in town and made a day of it.  Monday, we had dinner at Jupiter.

After dinner, walked to grab the bus and popped by Bergdorf to see their windows.  They have the best in the city.

On Tuesday, we headed to Met Life to see Guns and Roses.  The Pretenders opened, then Andrew Dice Clay did a 10 minute set, then G'n'R came on and played for 3 hours and 15 minutes.

On Wednesday, it was drinks at The Dawson (cute bar near the office) then dinner at The Commerce Inn.

Yesterday, it was drinks at The Dawson (again), a drink at the Knickerbocker rooftop, then Keens.  I'm fucking beat.

20230814_201957.jpg

20230814_214624.jpg

20230814_222325.jpg

20230814_222355.jpg

20230814_222437.jpg

20230814_222552.jpg

20230814_222616.jpg

20230814_222727.jpg

20230814_222809.jpg

20230814_222905.jpg

20230815_182401.jpg

20230815_194312.jpg

20230815_214508.jpg

20230815_222212.jpg

20230816_204215.jpg

20230816_205611.jpg

20230816_212052.jpg

20230816_212057.jpg

20230816_212101.jpg

20230816_212213.jpg

20230817_225804.jpg

20230817_232445.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Want to take my oldest (10) to see some shows and do all the things during christmas season. We live in a town of 5,000 people so it will blow her mind.

Idea is to just do 3 nights (I start to go bonkers in NYC after about 36 hours), see 2 broadway shows, skate at rockefeller, and any other must do attractions.

Any well-located hotel suggestions that have that old school NYC vibe? Any must see attractions that time of year? Also, any vegetarian restaurant suggestions?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Want to take my oldest (10) to see some shows and do all the things during christmas season. We live in a town of 5,000 people so it will blow her mind.

Idea is to just do 3 nights (I start to go bonkers in NYC after about 36 hours), see 2 broadway shows, skate at rockefeller, and any other must do attractions.

Any well-located hotel suggestions that have that old school NYC vibe? Any must see attractions that time of year? Also, any vegetarian restaurant suggestions?

can't edit...any reason I shouldn't book the Lotte? It looks like the vibe I am imagining.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

can't edit...any reason I shouldn't book the Lotte? It looks like the vibe I am imagining.

We stayed there last October because of the connection to some TV show my kids like and the location. They had renovated some of the rooms, we stayed in the part that was not renovated. It was well past its prime at that point and was not worth what we paid in comparison to other places we looked at. The location was excellent, but we’ll be staying somewhere else next trip.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 4:47 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

They are doing construction, so areas that are normally open are not open (I assume you mean the Lotte Palace).  Usually, they have a massive Christmas Tree in the courtyard, but yeah.  It is behind St. Patrick's, which is next door to Saks, so location is very, very good.   

The Peninsula is amazing at Christmas.  Absolutely stunning.  And the Plaza is always a good idea.  Now, all those will be $$$$$ during Christmas, but definitely a memorable experience.  And centrally located to experience everything you want.

I love Edition hotels, and The Edition Times Square seems to not be so crazy expensive at the time you are thinking of coming up.  The New York Edition is right at Madison Square Park, and is also a good bet, but more expensive.  

On 8/24/2023 at 2:52 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I did the Rockettes with friends...it was very meh.  Not my thing at all, but might be something you and she would like to do.  Runs about 90 minutes.  On Broadway, I recommend Six (it is only 90 minutes) and &Juliet.  Empowered female characters and great music.  Great for a girl her age.  Spamalot will also be doing a revival at that time, but I think you would enjoy that more than her.  Definitely get tickets to Six.  Maybe see what else you want to do before tying up your time with tons of shows, but if you want to fit in a second, &Juliet is the right answer.

I am not an ice skater, but dealing with the crowds at Rockefeller is a beating (I walk through there to get to my office).  Book as soon as you can.  Also, you can also skate at Bryant Park (Definitely get hot chocolate at Angelina while at Bryant Park and browse at the winter village).  If Christmas Markets are your thing, the Union Square one is massive, but it and Bryant Park have similar vendors.  

Definitely see the windows.  Bergdorf, IMO, has the best.  But Bloomingdale's and Saks are also relatively close.  You can make it a walk.  If it snows before Christmas (which it has once since I have lived here), then Central Park is a great place to go hang out.  

If Art is something you guys are into, the Met is always a good idea.  https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/upcoming Some good exhibits will be on in December.  

Probably tons more going on in December, but it is way too early to know about a lot of them.  

I am actually in London right before Christmas onboarding a new employee (and I am going to try and hit some Christmas markets the weekend before..thinking Cologne and Aachen).

• Like 1

Anyone looking for a steakhouse recommendation, I’ll throw Gage & Tollner in Brooklyn into the mix. Wife and I did our 10 year anniversary dinner there in June and it was great. Best part of the night was the speakeasy they have upstairs called the Sunken Harbor Club.   Very cool themed bar with awesome cocktails. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Stout Grand Central (Football)

Stout Grand Central is our Chapter’s home base, located in the heart of Midtown. This is the primary go-to location for all game watches and events during football season. We have a long-standing relationship with Stout and are proud to have their continued support and cheer for us every season!

Address: 60 E 41st St, New York, NY 10017
Phone: (212) 922-9009

• Hook 'Em 1

In addition to Stout...

Horn’s Hook Tavern (Basketball and others)

Horn’s Hook Tavern is our younger and smaller sister location for Texas Longhorns game watches. Located in the Upper East Side (UES), Horn’s Hook offers a more intimate space for alumni to gather and enjoy delicious food (definitely try the queso!) while watching Texas sports. We host watch parties for basketball, baseball, softball, and other games, in addition to Saturday football. Also, join us here to watch the NYC marathon each November as Horn’s Hook is conveniently located on the marathon course!
Address: 1589 1st Ave., New York, NY 10028
Phone: (212) 879-1500

Alabama Alumni watch at the Ainsworth Midtown (https://www.instagram.com/p/Cwk7Z6ivrDq/?hl=en)

• Hook 'Em 2

Had two really good meals this past weekend.

Friday night at Golden Swan, the new place that opened in the old Spotted Pig spot. All the food was really well done. A bit of a stuffy atmosphere upstairs. Glad I went but doubt I’ll go back on my own dime.

Saturday night at Port Sa’id, the NYC outpost of a popular Tel Aviv spot. I thought the food and cocktails were great, and the place was hopping in an otherwise sleepy spot in the area between prime west village and tribeca. I’ll be back here when out of town folks visit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So I have a couple nights in New York next June with a bunch of Marriott points to spend.  Should I do the Ritz Carlton on Central Park South, the Ritz Carlton NoMad (28th & Broadway), or the St. Regis (55th & Fifth), or something else entirely (e.g., the Edition).

On the docket is the Natural History Museum (we got screwed out of that on the last trip and the boy really wants to go), probably a Broadway show for the girls and a Yankee game for me and the boy.

On 8/24/2023 at 1:52 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We spent Christmas week there last year. Crowded, even by NYC standards. Just expect that. 

She'll like the Rockettes. It's their Christmas show. It's Radio City. It's the big marquee and all that, and once inside certainly a show she'll never see in a town of 5,000. Like 100,000 things in NYC she's never seen. But I'm quite sure she'll really enjoy it. One Vanderbilt is a must do - a really cool place to see the city. Not your standard 1,400 feet viewing experience in NYC.  Skating at Rockefeller Center was perhaps the biggest cluster of the week. Just wall to wall people. As noted above, consider Bryant Park instead. Rise NYC was a lot of fun.  We did all the other standard stuff (Statue of Liberty, Park,  911 Museum, Times Square) but sounds like you're on a tight schedule so will have to pick and choose. 

9 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

So I have a couple nights in New York next June with a bunch of Marriott points to spend.  Should I do the Ritz Carlton on Central Park South, the Ritz Carlton NoMad (28th & Broadway), or the St. Regis (55th & Fifth), or something else entirely (e.g., the Edition).

On the docket is the Natural History Museum (we got screwed out of that on the last trip and the boy really wants to go), probably a Broadway show for the girls and a Yankee game for me and the boy.

4 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I like the New York Edition location better than RC NoMad’s. At. Regis is probably too stuffy for the kids. RC CP is great but I like the Edition with the ifs since you get some neighborhood feel. 

Second New York Edition.  Honestly, I just like the Edition hotels.  I think they are some of the best luxury hotels out there.  My stay in Madrid was out of this world.  The London Edition is stunning.  Yeah, New York Edition.  Also near Madison Square Park, which is one of my favorites.

4 hours ago, creeper said:

Casa Mono or the Tavern room at Gramercy Tavern are my go-tos in that area.

Gramercy Tavern for the win.  Love it. Their cocktail program fucks.  Claud is somewhat close as well (E 10th and 3rd Ave), and it is really, really outstanding. Hard to get a res, but I highly recommend.

4 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

We spent Christmas week there last year. Crowded, even by NYC standards. Just expect that. 

She'll like the Rockettes. It's their Christmas show. It's Radio City. It's the big marquee and all that, and once inside certainly a show she'll never see in a town of 5,000. Like 100,000 things in NYC she's never seen. But I'm quite sure she'll really enjoy it. One Vanderbilt is a must do - a really cool place to see the city. Not your standard 1,400 feet viewing experience in NYC.  Skating at Rockefeller Center was perhaps the biggest cluster of the week. Just wall to wall people. As noted above, consider Bryant Park instead. Rise NYC was a lot of fun.  We did all the other standard stuff (Statue of Liberty, Park,  911 Museum, Times Square) but sounds like you're on a tight schedule so will have to pick and choose. 

Skating at Rockefeller is a shitshow.  

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

There's ice skating in Central Park, isn't there?  Believe I seent it one visit there during christmas. 

Well, that would be Wollman Rink.  In 2021, they closed it early because NY stripped the organization that ran it (rhymes with Dump) of the contract after a certain event in January 2021.  But here is the website for it.  It should be back up and tickets go back on sale soon.

https://wollmanrinknyc.com/

Bryant Park is really kind of fun at Christmas. The Christmas market is picturesque.  The Christmas windows at Bergdorf are outstanding.  New York is magical at Christmas.

That being said, fall and spring are my favorite New York seasons.  They are generally outstanding.  

When I stayed at Essex House in Feb, the Central Park rink was open. That's a Marriott property as well, and it was great to just wake up in the morning and cross the street to central park.

Agree that skating at 30 Rock is a shitshow, but still fun.

Is Union Square Cafe still good? I used to love that place.

I sold so much SQL licensing one year that Microsoft gave me a $5K AMEX travel gift card which I used to take the fam to NYC for Christmas. Was a blast. Did the city (stayed at 70 Park which was a Kimpton hotel at that time) and then Christmas morning we moved to a suite at Castle on the Hudson in Tarrytown which was neat.

7 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

When I stayed at Essex House in Feb, the Central Park rink was open. That's a Marriott property as well, and it was great to just wake up in the morning and cross the street to central park.

Agree that skating at 30 Rock is a shitshow, but still fun.

Is Union Square Cafe still good? I used to love that place.

I sold so much SQL licensing one year that Microsoft gave me a $5K AMEX travel gift card which I used to take the fam to NYC for Christmas. Was a blast. Did the city (stayed at 70 Park which was a Kimpton hotel at that time) and then Christmas morning we moved to a suite at Castle on the Hudson in Tarrytown which was neat.

Essex House is a good option.  I’ve stayed there.  The suites at The Parker Meridian are also good..very Mad Men esque.

Ok, I'm looking to take the wife and kids to NYC for a Christmas trip.  Looking for tips and advice on where to stay and any suggested activities for the family.  I was thinking maybe we could see if we could see the Nutcracker, go see the Big Christmas tree, maybe some Ice Skating?  Any other do's/dont's.  Precciate ya!

Having some fun with prompt engineering. This is ChatGPt’s suggestion for a day of erotic debauchery.

I’m committed to promoting safe, respectful, and consensual experiences. While I won’t provide explicit or potentially unsafe suggestions, I can give you some romantic and intimate ideas for a day in New York City:

1. Morning - Romantic Breakfast: Start with breakfast at a quaint café in the West Village, such as “Buvette”. Their cozy ambiance sets a romantic tone for the day.
2. Late Morning - Central Park: Take a horse-drawn carriage ride through Central Park. It’s classic and intimate.
3. Afternoon - Spa Retreat: Book a couples spa treatment. NYC has many luxurious spas that offer treatments tailored for couples, including massages, facials, and body scrubs.
4. Late Afternoon - Shopping: Visit some of NYC’s upscale lingerie and intimate boutiques. Places like “Journelle” or “La Perla” offer a curated selection of high-quality pieces.
5. Evening - Dinner: Reserve a private dining experience or a table at a restaurant with a romantic setting. Consider somewhere like “One If By Land, Two If By Sea”, often referred to as one of NYC’s most romantic restaurants.
6. Late Night - Jazz Club: Head to a dimly lit, intimate jazz club like the “Village Vanguard” or “Blue Note” in Greenwich Village.
7. Overnight: Consider booking a luxurious suite at a top-tier hotel like The Plaza or The St. Regis. Some hotels even offer romance packages.

Remember, always ensure mutual consent and comfort in any activity or purchase. Respect boundaries and prioritize open communication. Have a wonderful time!

As of my last update in September 2021, the welfare of horses that pull carriages in New York City’s Central Park has been a topic of debate and concern for many years. Advocates claim that the horses are well-cared for, work reasonable hours, and are examined regularly by veterinarians. They argue that the industry is heavily regulated and that most carriage drivers genuinely care for their animals.

On the other hand, animal rights activists have raised concerns about the horses’ living conditions, their exposure to traffic and extreme weather, potential risks of injury, and their general well-being. There have been calls to replace horse-drawn carriages with electric vintage-replica cars or other alternatives.

It’s worth noting that there have been incidents and accidents involving carriage horses over the years, which have fueled the debate.

If you are considering taking a horse-drawn carriage ride and are concerned about the welfare of the animals, it might be helpful to do some current research and, if possible, visit the stables and speak with the drivers to form your own opinion.

6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

As of my last update in September 2021, the welfare of horses that pull carriages in New York City’s Central Park has been a topic of debate and concern for many years. Advocates claim that the horses are well-cared for, work reasonable hours, and are examined regularly by veterinarians. They argue that the industry is heavily regulated and that most carriage drivers genuinely care for their animals.

On the other hand, animal rights activists have raised concerns about the horses’ living conditions, their exposure to traffic and extreme weather, potential risks of injury, and their general well-being. There have been calls to replace horse-drawn carriages with electric vintage-replica cars or other alternatives.

It’s worth noting that there have been incidents and accidents involving carriage horses over the years, which have fueled the debate.

If you are considering taking a horse-drawn carriage ride and are concerned about the welfare of the animals, it might be helpful to do some current research and, if possible, visit the stables and speak with the drivers to form your own opinion.

It is a complicated issue.  But there was a horrific incident recently that really reignited the debate.  Horses have been hit by cars, collapsed in the heat, etc...

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/twu-proposes-better-care-for-horses-in-response-to-calls-to-ban-horse-drawn-carriages-in-new-york-city/

No horse should be on the roads of Manhattan.  It is dangerous, and in the summer, while the air temps might be 90, once you are futher from the park, it is a lot hotter, especially on the concrete.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Central Park: Take a horse-drawn carriage ride through Central Park. It’s classic and intimate.

DO NOT DO THIS.  The horses are abused.  Last year, a horse died.  Don’t support that.  It’s a danger to the animal.

Quoting to reiterate. Do not support these fucks. 

Anywhere interesting you’d go for a birthday dinner if you also had to take a 10 yr old whose idea of branching out is the sandwich rather than the nuggets at CFA? She’ll eat meat and potatoes but otherwise not adventurous at all. Whereas I’d prefer to go to a great omakase meal if I could, for instance.

Should I just go to one of the Danny Meyer restaurants (Union Square, Grammercy Tavern) and call it a day? They seem to have kids items or kid friendly-ish stuff. 

I know this has been asked a dozen times but just casting my line into the waters here. 

Anywhere interesting you’d go for a birthday dinner if you also had to take a 10 yr old whose idea of branching out is the sandwich rather than the nuggets at CFA? She’ll eat meat and potatoes but otherwise not adventurous at all. Whereas I’d prefer to go to a great omakase meal if I could, for instance.
Should I just go to one of the Danny Meyer restaurants (Union Square, Grammercy Tavern) and call it a day? They seem to have kids items or kid friendly-ish stuff. 

I know this has been asked a dozen times but just casting my line into the waters here. 

How about Italian?

On 9/22/2023 at 1:56 PM, b_p said:

@PenelopeWitherspoon Looking at dinner for 2 on a Sunday and Monday night.  Thinking Saga for Sunday and either Oiji Mi, Torien, or Naro for Monday.  Good plan? Have some suggestions?

I've not been to any of those, but Saga has been on my list for a while.  Naro as well.  Sorry I cannot help more.  Currently in London.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/5/2023 at 9:56 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

New hotel recommendation for anyone coming to NYC.  In 2022, the Hotel Chelsea reopened after a massive rennovation.  Definitely a really cool slice of history.  Went to Cafe Chelsea last night for dinner.  Was really, really good.  

https://hotelchelsea.com/

I finally went to Cafe Chelsea Sunday. Obviously very indebted to the various McNally bistros, but derivative or not I thought it was really well done. Will definitely be back.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/27/2023 at 1:00 PM, closetohumping said:

I need to go from NYC to Portland, Maine.  Best to rent a car or take the train?  

If time is not an object then drive. I enjoy flying and whatnot, but getting to see New England during this time of year by drive or by train is such a wonderful experience.

• Hook 'Em 1