Tell me about New York City

On 9/15/2023 at 7:05 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It is a complicated issue.  But there was a horrific incident recently that really reignited the debate.  Horses have been hit by cars, collapsed in the heat, etc...

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/twu-proposes-better-care-for-horses-in-response-to-calls-to-ban-horse-drawn-carriages-in-new-york-city/

No horse should be on the roads of Manhattan.  It is dangerous, and in the summer, while the air temps might be 90, once you are futher from the park, it is a lot hotter, especially on the concrete.  

I love horses and had two as a kid. Seeing them on the streets, especially in the summer here, is a big no-go from my point of view. Let them live their lives somewhere upstate on a farm.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kids picked NYC for their Christmas presents for the second straight year. Looks like we are going to do Christmas week as they want to see it decorated for the holidays. Staying at the Refinery to be near Bryant Park. Past that they don’t have much on their lists if there are any must sees/eats that time of year not listed on the previous pages.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/26/2023 at 8:26 PM, Brew said:

Kids picked NYC for their Christmas presents for the second straight year. Looks like we are going to do Christmas week as they want to see it decorated for the holidays. Staying at the Refinery to be near Bryant Park. Past that they don’t have much on their lists if there are any must sees/eats that time of year not listed on the previous pages.

Some new stuff on Broadway that might be fun are Gutenberg! The Musical!, (I have tickets October 10th), Merrily We Roll Along (I have tickets October 11th), and Spamalot (need to get tickets).

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

On 9/23/2023 at 11:40 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I've not been to any of those, but Saga has been on my list for a while.  Naro as well.  Sorry I cannot help more.  Currently in London.

I did Saga last weekend and it was very good. It was rainy, though, so the view sucked.

I also went to Eleven Madison Park, which was the best meal I've ever had. Absolutely incredible.

10 hours ago, Rudiger said:

I did Saga last weekend and it was very good. It was rainy, though, so the view sucked.

I also went to Eleven Madison Park, which was the best meal I've ever had. Absolutely incredible.

I went to EMP a few years ago before the menu changed to vegetarian.  I've been reluctant to go back since the menu change - it sounds like you would recommend it with the vegetarian menu?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, b_p said:

I went to EMP a few years ago before the menu changed to vegetarian.  I've been reluctant to go back since the menu change - it sounds like you would recommend it with the vegetarian menu?

Definitely, and especially if you’ve done a bunch of tasting menus at fancy restaurants. Things like the “caviar” course and the “fish” course were clever and made me smile. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is my favorite place to sit at in the city. It’s in the northeast corner of Central Park and it’s called The Conservatory. They are doing a lot of renovations here, but the garden portion was finished in the spring and my gosh did they get it right. If you are visiting next spring or early fall you should circle this place and spend a few hours of your afternoon here. You kinda forget you’re in the city. IMG_9142.thumb.jpeg.fb8f5f05efe80a3ae254bda067c047bd.jpegIMG_9139.thumb.jpeg.c5799e0239bf2df2070192ce47f72add.jpegIMG_9141.thumb.jpeg.255d36ee29fe29f02777c805841b5f5a.jpegIMG_9138.thumb.jpeg.b7e60e561627bd9c5f6028e35fa478c9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 8:26 PM, Brew said:

Something not in Manhattan that is pretty cool might be the model train show at The Botanical Gardens. I  determined to go see it this year. I’ve seen video clips and pictures and it just seems like a really impressive setup.

22 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

No one drown to death tonight, ok? A foot of rain - fun times. 

Not flooding in my little corner of the city, but then again, we are kind of high ground.  Slept in this morning until almost noon (glorious!), and trying to rouse all my compatriots to head down to Stone Street for Oktoberfest.  A different krewe is headed out to the NYBG for Bales and Ales tomorrow.  I had double booked myself, so the expected bad weather today (so far, so good), meant I could do both.  Winner, winner.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Not flooding in my little corner of the city, but then again, we are kind of high ground.  Slept in this morning until almost noon (glorious!), and trying to rouse all my compatriots to head down to Stone Street for Oktoberfest.  A different krewe is headed out to the NYBG for Bales and Ales tomorrow.  I had double booked myself, so the expected bad weather today (so far, so good), meant I could do both.  Winner, winner.

We’ll be in town the last weekend of October. I’ll message ya to see if we can grab a show or whatever together. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to two Oktoberfest/Fall beer events this weekend.  Did the Stone Street Oktoberfest on Saturday.  That crowd skews younger, but the beer is excellent.  Ended up at Fraunces Tavern where they serve an excellent apple cider donut cider.  On Sunday, went with friends to Ales and Bales at the New York Botanical Garden.  We were all fantastically hungover, and the line situtation was out of control.  However, we ended up having pizza and wine at Mario's after.  

19 hours ago, txduck87 said:

Any good restaurant recs for Bushwick neighborhood in Brooklyn? I’m headed up to help move my oldest son move in there later this month. Anything in proximity to there would be helpful. Thanks.

I’m a few years removed from frequenting Bushwick, but Ops is awesome and Roberta’s is definitely a welcome to the neighborhood spot. The Brooklyn outpost of Ten Bells is also out there, and I love their Manhattan location.

The real question is, can you make it to 4am with your son at Mirage, Nowadays or House of Yes (or more likely some club that is way too hip for me to know about). 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m a few years removed from frequenting Bushwick, but Ops is awesome and Roberta’s is definitely a welcome to the neighborhood spot. The Brooklyn outpost of Ten Bells is also out there, and I love their Manhattan location.
The real question is, can you make it to 4am with your son at Mirage, Nowadays or House of Yes (or more likely some club that is way too hip for me to know about). 

Yeah I’m 58. Only time I see 4 am these days is when I wake up and have to pee.

On 10/6/2023 at 6:59 AM, Underdog said:

Took the granddaughter down to the Bronx Zoo yesterday, wonderful zoo. 

That is such a fun zoo to get to go to. I love to see the birds there. Each borough does a great job with the bird part of their zoo location. I am glad you were able to take your granddaughter there! 

My wife has put together an NYC trip just the 2 of us for my birthday in early November.  We have wanted to go to Le Bernardin for a long time since we both like Ripert and are big seafood eaters.  The problem is, that since plans weren't made far enough in advance, we have a reservation for 11pm on a Friday night.

Since I'm well out of my 20s/30s now, I'm not too jazzed about a prix fixe at 11pm and we are on their waitlist for an earlier reservation, but I thought it would be worth looking into other spots that are (a) available for a reservation with less than a month notice, and (b) big-occasion / memorable spots.  Looked at EMP but it doesn't qualify as we definitely aren't vegetarian, and can't get in there at this point anyways.  Any ideas for a backup?  

18 hours ago, Teebox said:

My wife has put together an NYC trip just the 2 of us for my birthday in early November.  We have wanted to go to Le Bernardin for a long time since we both like Ripert and are big seafood eaters.  The problem is, that since plans weren't made far enough in advance, we have a reservation for 11pm on a Friday night.

Since I'm well out of my 20s/30s now, I'm not too jazzed about a prix fixe at 11pm and we are on their waitlist for an earlier reservation, but I thought it would be worth looking into other spots that are (a) available for a reservation with less than a month notice, and (b) big-occasion / memorable spots.  Looked at EMP but it doesn't qualify as we definitely aren't vegetarian, and can't get in there at this point anyways.  Any ideas for a backup?  

Yes.  I have a ton.  I am traveling today, but can shoot you a few places once I am back in NYC later today.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Teebox said:

Depending on where you're staying, it might be worth having your concierge reach out.

Friday night on relatively short notice will be tough.  In the LB / EMP / big-occasion / older-school camp, maybe check out Jean Georges or Daniel.  If you're okay with looking at some more updated options, Atomix is my favorite restaurant in the city at the moment, though it's tough to book.  Ko is amazing and (at least as of last year) took bookings starting two weeks out.  I'm not the biggest Gabriel Kreuther fan, but people love it and it qualifies as special occasion.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok.  Sorry, not been at a laptop all weekend.  

I love Le Bernardin, but it is definitely old school.  I have not been (it is on my list), but I have heard excellent things about SAGA.  

I have done the tasting at Gabriel Kreuther, and I really enjoyed it.  

Le Coucou was absolutely stunning when I was going pre-COVID.  Have not been since they reopened, but the food and dining space were stunning.

My wish list right now, places I want to hit up are:

Tatiana (reservations are tough to get, open up 30 days in advance)

Kono (Yakitori tasting menu in Chinatown)

Raf's

Foul Witch

Restaurant Yuu (French Omakase by a Japanese Chef with French bonafides)

Ilis (Noma cofounder's new place in Greenpoint)

House Brooklyn (French/Japanese fusion)

Francie

Clover Hill

Department of Culture

The places I love and go to for solid, fun meals:

Le Rock

Frenchette

Claude

Cafe Chelsea

King

Crown Shy

I don’t know if any of you enjoy comedy shows, but last week I went to the New York Comedy Club on 24th Street and I had a really enjoyable time. A comic I have known for a long time, but never got to meet up with, was hosting. She’s pretty funny to me and the lineup they had made me laugh a good bit. There is another in the East Village, but I went to the midtown location. 

https://newyorkcomedyclub.com

Will be there in 12 days. Staying in Koreatown. I like food so this thread has more than enough suggestions. Bought the city pass since we'll be there for 6 days and wife wants to do the top of the Rock.

What is your go to for sushi and French? Met a guy in Austin a few weeks ago that was from
NYC and he said Roberta's for pizza, Chef Morimoto for sushi and also Chelsea Market? Thoughts?

On 10/22/2023 at 7:39 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I love Le Bernardin, but it is definitely old school.  I have not been (it is on my list), but I have heard excellent things about SAGA.  

Le Coucou was absolutely stunning when I was going pre-COVID.  Have not been since they reopened, but the food and dining space were stunning.

Raf's

Foul Witch

Francie

Clover Hill

Department of Culture

Le Rock

Frenchette

Claude

Cafe Chelsea

King

Crown Shy

Mrs.LL and I are heading up there in January for the Billy Joel concert.  She's from Long Island, so seeing Billy Joel at MSG is kind of like a Muslim going to Mecca.

Anyway, any thoughts on restaurants near there, both a place for pre-concert and then perhaps something for over the weekend that is more upscale?

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Mrs.LL and I are heading up there in January for the Billy Joel concert.  She's from Long Island, so seeing Billy Joel at MSG is kind of like a Muslim going to Mecca.

Anyway, any thoughts on restaurants near there, both a place for pre-concert and then perhaps something for over the weekend that is more upscale?

IMG_0037.gif.0df30d0395d499d527eb3b7d91cfa491.gif

9 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Will be there in 12 days. Staying in Koreatown. I like food so this thread has more than enough suggestions. Bought the city pass since we'll be there for 6 days and wife wants to do the top of the Rock.

What is your go to for sushi and French? Met a guy in Austin a few weeks ago that was from
NYC and he said Roberta's for pizza, Chef Morimoto for sushi and also Chelsea Market? Thoughts?

Chelsea Market is one of those places that gets recommended a lot for tourists and is actually a good idea, IMO. Lots of cool/good options for food and fun to wander through. Then you can take a walk over to the Little Island and/or take a walk on the High Line. Both are unique public parks worth a visit. 

On 10/22/2023 at 7:39 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Raf's

Foul Witch

Francie

Clover Hill

Department of Culture

Le Rock

Frenchette

Claude

Cafe Chelsea

King

Crown Shy

thanks for the reccs! 

Weekend recap.

Great dinners at Via Carota and Valerie. Drinks at Katana Kitten and As Is. Went to the new Wegmans at Astor Place. Since Sunday’s weather was shitty we went to the Museum of Broadway and it wasn’t entirely awful  

For shows …

Merrily: They took a book that has little soul and directed the hell out of it and Jonathan Groff steals the stage and makes you feel sympathy for Frank. That's a VERY tough act to do, and the direction and him (along with Ratcliffe) make it so enjoyable to watch. Menendez was out and her understudy did her first performance and did a great job.

Purlie Victorious: I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. It was damn near hilarious and poignant - Leslie Odom Jr. was kinda born to play a preacher-ish role, though. 

Hell's Kitchen (at the Public): This was a cheesy mess, with strong choreography and Shoshonna Bean doing what she does - sing beautifully. It isn't Broadway ready in any way IMO. During the show two people in the front row were standing and waving their arms and had lighters in the air at multiple points. It was hilarious yet entirely aggravating staff didn't intervene. They also would yell back at scenes. UGH

Gutenberg: Funny as, well, fuck. I want to name our future cat Satan, now. I'm not a Gad guy really, but this works. Dylan Mulvaney was our guest producer. She sat immediately in front of us. Timothée Chalamet was a row behind us.

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 4:42 PM, Ghost of LL said:

If you are set on being near MSG, can’t go wrong with Keens. Otherwise, MSG is right in the middle of the worst part of Manhattan so better off getting a 6pm dinner in another neighborhood on the west side and make it back to MSG in time for the show at 8. 

I had to go to the Billy Joel show 2 weeks ago with clients. Pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1