Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

FYI, I left the trail after about 300 miles.  Many reasons.  It was an amazing adventure, but a thru hike doesn't align with my values, so I'm making my goal a multi-year section hike.  Planning on going back in July to meet up with a couple of my hiking buds, probably in NorCal.

Nonetheless, I'm glad you got out there and got a taste of it! I know another asshole that's going to try to be in NorCal early August.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

FYI, I left the trail after about 300 miles.  Many reasons.  It was an amazing adventure, but a thru hike doesn't align with my values, so I'm making my goal a multi-year section hike.  Planning on going back in July to meet up with a couple of my hiking buds, probably in NorCal.

Well, shit.   Let me know which year you cover some central Oregon....

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Would be interested in reading a rundown of your 300 miles, your gear, your thoughts about what went right and what went wrong, etc., etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not the same thing, but a few years ago I started a Boundary Waters border route trip (~200 mile canoe trip).  We actually planned to do the whole thing but we had to evacuate a buddy after he broke his ankle 3 weeks in.  We picked up the next year exactly where it happened and finished it out.

Point is, it don't make a shit.  Do what your circumstances allow.  For us, it made for a better story anyway.

• Hook 'Em 4

I feel like I’ve had a fairly adventurous life, but a 300 mile hike is a hell of a lot more than I’ve ever done.   
My oldest son wants to hike the AT and for me to tag along, but I am quite certain that by two weeks in I’d be completely over it. Honestly I don’t think I would even want to section hike an entire trail like that or the PCT, but cherry picking the best spots one at a time is something I’d enjoy. 

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Anyone getting out to places cooler than this shit show in Texas to hike this summer?  I'm heading to New Mexico next weekend.  Hoping to get out somewhere in August also.

i was in southern utah towards the end of july two years in a row and the temps were higher there than they were in austin.

Not much hiking, well maybe a little bit, but my 15-year-old son and I are going to LA and renting a camper van to drive to San Francisco over 4 days on the PCH.  Have campsites reserved near Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Monterey.  Looking like highs in the 60s most of those spots next week.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Not much hiking, well maybe a little bit, but my 15-year-old son and I are going to LA and renting a camper van to drive to San Francisco over 4 days on the PCH.  Have campsites reserved near Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Monterey.  Looking like highs in the 60s most of those spots next week.  

Hit up some hikes in Big Sur, Point Lobos, etc. Beautiful places.  

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Reserving campsites is a rookie move. Especially if you have a camper van.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Who thinks southern Utah in July is cooler than Texas?

Surely nobody with a brain. But it's nice in the shade and there is a whole lot of cool stuff you can explore in the dessert if you know where you are going. It's the knowing where you are going part that gets tricky.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Anyone getting out to places cooler than this shit show in Texas to hike this summer?  I'm heading to New Mexico next weekend.  Hoping to get out somewhere in August also.

About this time last year I was in North and South Dakota doing some hiking. Did some hiking in Teddy Roosevelt and the Black Hills. It was pretty cool weather to moderate weather for the most part. I was up there for 2 weeks. Cannot recommend that area enough.

I am thinking about heading up to Idaho for a week or two later this summer for some hiking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

About this time last year I was in North and South Dakota doing some hiking. Did some hiking in Teddy Roosevelt and the Black Hills. It was pretty cool weather to moderate weather for the most part. I was up there for 2 weeks. Cannot recommend that area enough.

I am thinking about heading up to Idaho for a week or two later this summer for some hiking.

I was actually looking at South Dakota yesterday.  There's so much to see in a relatively small area.  The problem is getting there because it's pretty much the middle of nowhere.  I figure it should probably be combined with Yellowstone, since it takes so much effort to get up there to begin with.

8 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Why?  You saying you should just disperse camp in national forests?

Wife and I are taking the maiden voyage in our new Sprinter next week. Going to visit friends in Minneapolis. Hitting Deadwood on the way there and Lake Superior and Badlands on the way home. Can't wait. No kids, no dogs.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I was actually looking at South Dakota yesterday.  There's so much to see in a relatively small area.  The problem is getting there because it's pretty much the middle of nowhere.  I figure it should probably be combined with Yellowstone, since it takes so much effort to get up there to begin with.

Why?  You saying you should just disperse camp in national forests?

Yes, The Black Hills are a bit remote but driving does not bother me.  I fly alot so I prefer to drive whenever I go for a vacation or getaway.  I drove from NE Texas to Teddy Roosevelt with an overnight stop in Grand Isle, NE on the way to Dickinson, ND.  Spent about 4 days in that area (ND) and then drove down to Rapid City where I met up with my girlfriend as she flew up for the second week. 

We spent the entire second week in Rapid City doing day trips to the Badlands NP, Minuteman Missile NHS, Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Devil's Tower, Jewel Cave, Wind Cave, Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon, Keystone, etc.  You can easily consume two weeks just in the Rapid City area if you took advantage of everything to do in the region.

After the second week in Rapid City she flew back and I took a couple of extra days driving back hitting some more NPS sites back to Texas.

Personally, I do not see the need to couple the SD/Black Hills visit with Yellowstone unless you have a lot of extra time to take off.  I have done Yellowstone/Grand Tetons separately so that I do not feel rushed.

Edited by mininghorn88
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I’ve got a few spots in mind to check out for dispersed camping. But we have so little of that in Texas and I’ve only done it a few times, so I’m not quite comfortable enough to show up without a back up plan. More than one I’ve shown up to a dispersed campground area and it looks like the homeless camps under Highway 71 in Austin.  
Plus, we want to be near towns for good eating. It’s not a camping trip, we just happen to be sleeping in a van. Down by the river.

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Unless you've been before, I wouldn't combine Yellowstone with anything. You can fill a week in there without getting out of your car to do any real hiking. If you want to do some hiking, then a week probably isn't enough. There is just so much to see there it is unreal. I would look at combining it maybe with the Grand Tetons, as that is a good park to just go and relax by the lake without feeling like there is so much to see that you are missing out on. Plus it has one of my favorite ever dispersed camping spots and there are showers you can pay to use by one of the visitor centers, which happens to take care of one of the biggest disadvantages of dispersed camping if you don't have a way to heat up shower water.

11 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Unless you've been before, I wouldn't combine Yellowstone with anything. You can fill a week in there without getting out of your car to do any real hiking. If you want to do some hiking, then a week probably isn't enough. There is just so much to see there it is unreal. I would look at combining it maybe with the Grand Tetons, as that is a good park to just go and relax by the lake without feeling like there is so much to see that you are missing out on. Plus it has one of my favorite ever dispersed camping spots and there are showers you can pay to use by one of the visitor centers, which happens to take care of one of the biggest disadvantages of dispersed camping if you don't have a way to heat up shower water.

I think what people underestimate with Yellowstone is the amount of driving you have to do there.  Yellowstone and Tetons is a trip all by itself.

Gotta get yourself a Joolca if you want a hot shower while camping.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I think what people underestimate with Yellowstone is the amount of driving you have to do there.  Yellowstone and Tetons is a trip all by itself.

Gotta get yourself a Joolca if you want a hot shower while camping.  

I have always visited Yellowstone and GTNP "out of season" (mid-May and late October typically) to avoid the crowds.  Granted some of the amenities are not open but I would rather deal with that than the insane crowds.  The roads are typically two lane roads so if someone sees a bear, wolf, bird, etc. then they often stop in the road therefore backing up traffic until they have determined that they have seen enough and finally move on.

Yes, Yellowstone is huge and a trip all by itself with a bit of time set aside for GTNP.

8 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I have always visited Yellowstone and GTNP "out of season" (mid-May and late October typically) to avoid the crowds.  Granted some of the amenities are not open but I would rather deal with that than the insane crowds.  The roads are typically two lane roads so if someone sees a bear, wolf, bird, etc. then they often stop in the road therefore backing up traffic until they have determined that they have seen enough and finally move on.

Yes, Yellowstone is huge and a trip all by itself with a bit of time set aside for GTNP.

Agreed on all points.  The best part of going in Sep-Oct is your chance of seeing bears goes WAAAY up.  We saw the same grizzly foraging on the side of the road that comes out of the South Entrance of YNP (but in GTNP) for 3 days straight.  He was a big unit, too.  Just eating away, packing on the pounds before winter.

On 6/22/2023 at 7:29 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I’m currently roasting my nuts in Portugal doing the Camino Portuguese. Lots of road walking and it’s hot here. Past 2 days we’ve gotten up at 4 to avoid some of the heat.

But I’m still glad I’m here doing it.

• Hook 'Em 2

For some inspiration during this hot summer:

Love the quick profit, the annual raise,

vacation with pay. Want more

of everything ready-made. Be afraid

to know your neighbors and to die.

And you will have a window in your head.

Not even your future will be a mystery

any more. Your mind will be punched in a card

and shut away in a little drawer.

When they want you to buy something

they will call you. When they want you

to die for profit they will let you know.

So, friends, every day do something

that won’t compute. Love the Lord.

Love the world. Work for nothing.

Take all that you have and be poor.

Love someone who does not deserve it.

Denounce the government and embrace

the flag. Hope to live in that free

republic for which it stands.

Give your approval to all you cannot

understand. Praise ignorance, for what man

has not encountered he has not destroyed.

Ask the questions that have no answers.

Invest in the millennium. Plant sequoias.

Say that your main crop is the forest

that you did not plant,

that you will not live to harvest.

Say that the leaves are harvested

when they have rotted into the mold.

Call that profit. Prophesy such returns.

Put your faith in the two inches of humus

that will build under the trees

every thousand years.

Listen to carrion — put your ear

close, and hear the faint chattering

of the songs that are to come.

Expect the end of the world. Laugh.

Laughter is immeasurable. Be joyful

though you have considered all the facts.

So long as women do not go cheap

for power, please women more than men.

Ask yourself: Will this satisfy

a woman satisfied to bear a child?

Will this disturb the sleep

of a woman near to giving birth?

Go with your love to the fields.

Lie easy in the shade. Rest your head

in her lap. Swear allegiance

to what is nighest your thoughts.

As soon as the generals and the politicos

can predict the motions of your mind,

lose it. Leave it as a sign

to mark the false trail, the way

you didn’t go. Be like the fox

who makes more tracks than necessary,

some in the wrong direction.

Practice resurrection.

“Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front” from The Country of Marriage, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc. 1973. Also published by Counterpoint Press in The Selected Poems of Wendell Berry, 1999; The Mad Farmer Poems, 2008; New Collected Poems, 2012.

• Like 1