Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

I'm heading out to New Mexico tomorrow to escape the Texas heat and I'm going to visit White Sands National Park.  Yes, it will still be hot in the park, but I'm staying in Cloudcroft at 9000 feet, so overall it will be lovely.  That said, since this is, ironically, going to probably be the only national park I visit this year, I wanted to post this quote by Dayton Duncan, main writer of the Ken Burns National Parks documentary.  I have paraphrased this quote many times to people and it chokes me up every time.  Especially when I'm on trail.

"At the heart of the park idea is this notion:

By virtue of being an American, whether your ancestors came over on the Mayflower or whether they just arrived, whether you're from a big city or from a rural setting, whether your daddy owns the factory or your mother is a maid...

You, YOU, are the owner of some of the best seafront property this nation's got.  You own magnificent waterfalls, you own stunning views of mountains and stunning views of gorgeous canyons.  They belong to YOU.  They're YOURS.

And all that's asked of you is to put it in your will, for your children, so that they can have it too.  Hopefully, you won't let it be sold off, you won't let it be despoiled.  Hopefully, you'll provide for proper maintenance of this property that is yours.  

But that's all you've got to do, now...that's quite a bargain."

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

My dream hike is the Wonderland around Mt. Rainier. My wife is going to Japan for a month next year with her mom.  My payback might have to be this backpacking trip. 

Do it!

Here’s a couple of planning links. First one is from my buddy’s site, which is really good, but might be slightly out of date (2017). 

https://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/wonderland-trail-backpacking-quick-guide

Here’s a more recent one. 

https://wheretheroadforks.com/hiking-the-wonderland-trail-how-to-plan-a-thru-hike/

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Do it!

Here’s a couple of planning links. First one is from my buddy’s site, which is really good, but might be slightly out of date (2017). 

https://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/wonderland-trail-backpacking-quick-guide

Here’s a more recent one. 

https://wheretheroadforks.com/hiking-the-wonderland-trail-how-to-plan-a-thru-hike/

Those will be some great reads... and probably intimidate myself out of it. 

On 7/2/2023 at 6:07 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Dammit, I have achilles tendonitis and bursitis, and I can't hike until it gets better. This sucks. 

Calf stretch constantly, get a night splint to hold you in extension while sleeping, silicon heel cups during the day, topical anti-inflammatory cream

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/4/2023 at 8:56 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Osprey Poco Plus if you want something that will last for years through multiple kids and still have some resell value afterwards.

I had one and it was great. I tripped and fell with my boy in it and he was completely stable and didn't go flying out or anything. 

It was fucking embarrassing as hell though. 

On 7/2/2023 at 6:07 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Dammit, I have achilles tendonitis and bursitis, and I can't hike until it gets better. This sucks. 

torn meniscus and now, recovering from pneumonia. I'll be down in the basement for a while, enjoying everyone else's stories and photos.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anybody remember the Shagster who summited Mt. Rainer guided, and made a montage video tracked to Grace Potter And The Nocturnals - ‘The Lion, The Beat, The Beast’?

Trying to find the video on YouTube.

Edited by JohnnyRage

My youngest kid is a little over 4 ft tall and a below average skills swimmer so was trying to decide if a life jacket was necessary. 

I would always bring one just in case. There are lots of shallow spots and rock bars where you can play under supervision without one but I would have them wearing it in the deeper pools for sure.

My daughter (no pics) brought a friend from college one summer who wore a PFD the whole time in the water. Kayaking, paddle board, playing frisbee in waist deep water it didn’t matter. Wasn’t a confident swimmer so the pfd stayed on.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Going on my 9th annual national park hike next month; this year is North Cascades. We’re meeting in Seattle and driving up towards Ross Lake. We’re renting 2 boats to go to our campsite.

image.thumb.jpeg.84753e0b7efef640f806de3ba569b114.jpeg

Day 2 hiking to the summit of Desolation Peak. 

image.jpeg.55d8777c6e6a07dda82d70043567b057.jpeg

Day 3 is Diablo lake and Day 4 will be the Cascade Pass Trail

image.thumb.jpeg.b32eca29b4963ac59b377051dc0a706f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Oregon. Banged out Trail of Ten Falls ar Silver Falls SP. Ten waterfalls and several you walk behind. 20230709_130626.thumb.jpg.ecda6fab55b89047c4875f68668ef35b.jpg20230709_104842.thumb.jpg.de01de19e1bf19f9eb050319a181d3fb.jpg

20230709_113259.thumb.jpg.00d829ad53024ad2fdcc1ee03e58d4a5.jpg

20230709_123833.thumb.jpg.5718186c20d0340a83119c36b7fa6840.jpg

20230709_105146.thumb.jpg.414c856f8ecff984265c7d5ec8dc6808.jpg

20230709_153701.thumb.jpg.ace2d21d35fff44a640143835372ff1d.jpg

In-laws live a quick drive from this... my brother in law and I do the ten falls trail from opposite directions to see who can finish it the quickest.

7 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Going on my 9th annual national park hike next month; this year is North Cascades. We’re meeting in Seattle and driving up towards Ross Lake. We’re renting 2 boats to go to our campsite.

image.thumb.jpeg.84753e0b7efef640f806de3ba569b114.jpeg

Day 2 hiking to the summit of Desolation Peak. 

image.jpeg.55d8777c6e6a07dda82d70043567b057.jpeg

Day 3 is Diablo lake and Day 4 will be the Cascade Pass Trail

image.thumb.jpeg.b32eca29b4963ac59b377051dc0a706f.jpeg

Sahale Arm is one of my bucket list overnights... Boston Basin too.

Thanks for all the recs. This is my bucket list so please add especially lesser know state parks. Thanks.

Cirque of the Towers in Wind River Range in WY

Four Pass Loop near Crested Butte, CO

Timberline Trail around Mt Hood

High Divide and Seven Lakes Basin Loop in Olympic NP

John Muir Trail

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim

Teton Crest Trail

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, NWBuck said:

In-laws live a quick drive from this... my brother in law and I do the ten falls trail from opposite directions to see who can finish it the quickest.

The website says 7.2m, one of the signs there says 8.7m, buy according to my watch if you do every spur to see ever waterfall it was like 11.1m.

• 2 weeks later...

Against my better judgement, I’m going to throw this out here. 

Anyone want to go on some backpacking trips in the coming years?  I’m talking 1-2 weeks, nothing insane.  Off the top of my head, I’d like to do the Wonderland Trail around Rainier, maybe parts of the JMT (or the full thing), and let’s say Olympic National Park.  Among others.  Obviously open to suggestions.

I’ve come to realize none of my friends have the desire or ability to commit to anything and it’s driving me nuts. 

PM me if interested. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where else to put this, but it came across my phone and brought tears to my eyes.  We have been fighting for this for so long.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/07/us/politics/biden-grand-canyon-arizona-national-monument.html

President Biden will designate nearly a million acres of land near the Grand Canyon as a new national monument on Tuesday to protect the area from uranium mining, administration officials confirmed on Monday.

Biden to Designate Monument Near Grand Canyon, Preventing Uranium Mining

Uranium extraction had already been restricted in the area, which Native tribes consider sacred, but the moratorium was set to expire in 2032. Mr. Biden’s designation will make it permanent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Steve Rinella posted this on his Meateater site.  So damn sad.

Family of three died

The partially mummified and decomposed remains of Christine Vance, 41; Rebecca Vance, 42, and Rebecca's 14-year-old son, were discovered July 9 after a hiker notified authorities of a body in the Gunnison National Forest. One body was discovered out in the open, and the other two were in a tent. The cause of death has not yet been released, but authorities were pointing to starvation, exposure to freezing temperatures, or carbon monoxide poisoning as possible causes.

Jesus people.  Respect for the outdoors, your own capabilities, and preparation are not simply suggestions when you take it upon yourself to spend an extended period of time hiking/camping/living.  Mother Nature gives zero fucks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Steve Rinella posted this on his Meateater site.  So damn sad.

Family of three died

Jesus people.  Respect for the outdoors, your own capabilities, and preparation are not simply suggestions when you take it upon yourself to spend an extended period of time hiking/camping/living.  Mother Nature gives zero fucks

Weird.  Carbon monoxide?  Only way I could see that is if they were cooking inside their tent, but all of those scenarios seem odd.  Not to mention only being discovered in July when presumably they died sometime this past winter.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Weird.  Carbon monoxide?  Only way I could see that is if they were cooking inside their tent, but all of those scenarios seem odd.  Not to mention only being discovered in July when presumably they died sometime this past winter.

Yeah, apparently that area gets a ton of snow - so if they were snowed in, and trying to either cook and/or stay warm in a tent would do it.  Honestly, I hope they passed peacefully as is often the case with carbon monoxide.  Cautionary tale of trying your hand in the mountains.  The hubris to take your family, being unprepared, and ignoring others trying to warn you reminds me too much of the submarine fiasco.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Did some car camping and a 3 night backpacking trip in Colorado last week. Camped on the Conejo River and in Great Sand Dunes NP. Backpacked up to Zapata Lake. Weather was fantastic other than rain/sleet as we were hiking out.

e9701800821bf9cb4d0e804a5ebd0c1a.jpgec586c58b7aa45d08bbe98c1784a3e89.jpge2a3bd1e3a5e45c9637004b3dbfd3562.jpg1577a8b69d2fa0692d483fce1283ed3c.jpg24677e0eaf2508c12acf80001582c3d4.jpg366bb1aa2a1fb823ce9e24cf598b5e90.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

Against my better judgement, I’m going to throw this out here. 

Anyone want to go on some backpacking trips in the coming years?  I’m talking 1-2 weeks, nothing insane.  Off the top of my head, I’d like to do the Wonderland Trail around Rainier, maybe parts of the JMT (or the full thing), and let’s say Olympic National Park.  Among others.  Obviously open to suggestions.
I’ve come to realize none of my friends have the desire or ability to commit to anything and it’s driving me nuts. 

PM me if interested. 

Are you on parole? Do you have any felony convictions?
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

1 week till Grand Teton Crest Trail, Wyoming.

Next year is my pick. Thinking about deciding between the Redwoods, Oregon, or Rocky Mountain National Park. Always enjoy Washington, but would have to get super lucky with their lottery system. 

Fucking right.  Take pics!

Where in Oregon?  PCT?  Rogue River?