Lowe's closing all Orchard Supply Hardware stores in US

Sbbruin

Bummer.  That's my go-to hardware store.  Got my Weber Genesis there.

https://www.connect.media/lowes-closing-all-orchard-supply-hardware-stores-in-u-s/?utm_source=mlNational&utm_campaign=mlNational-2018-08-22_15:31-Lowe_s_Closing_All_Orchard_Supply_Hardware_Stores_in_U_S_&utm_medium=email&utm_term=united-states top-na retail&utm_content=Lowe_s_Closing_All_Orchard_Supply_Hardware_Stores_in_U_S_&pid=60587995-93dc-478f-960f-8ea36e5e4e88

Mooresville, NC-based Lowe’s plans to close all Orchard Supply Hardware stores nationwide by February 1. San Jose, CA-based Orchard Supply Hardware operates 99 stores in California, Oregon and Florida, and was acquired by Lowe’s in 2013.

Lowe’s president and CEO Marvin Ellison said in a statement: “While it was a necessary business decision to exit Orchard Supply Hardware, decisions that impact our people are never easy. We will be providing outplacement services for impacted associates, and they will be given priority status if they choose to apply for other Lowe’s positions.”

Lowe’s said it is closing the stores so it can focus on its core home improvement business. The company is refocusing on “retail fundamentals,” noted Ellison, and plans to tighten store inventory in what the company foresees as a demanding retail environment.

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Didn't know that. Ace Hardware stores seem to do well in spite of themselves, hard to believe that Lowe's with all of the resources at their disposal couldn't make these places work.

I love my neighborhood Ace franchise. Great folks, plenty of help and do great & well priced reapairs / maintenance on Stihl products. 

52 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I love my neighborhood Ace franchise. Great folks, plenty of help and do great & well priced reapairs / maintenance on Stihl products. 

Yeah, I don't have anything against Ace, I'm just kind of surprised that their business model still seems to be working reasonably well. They have great quality but given the way everything and everyone seems to be geared towards lowest price quality be damned, it's surprising to me.

7 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Yeah, I don't have anything against Ace, I'm just kind of surprised that their business model still seems to be working reasonably well. They have great quality but given the way everything and everyone seems to be geared towards lowest price quality be damned, it's surprising to me.

I guess it's 1%ers like you and me that like to sling money around.  I dont know; I don't mind paying a little more and avoiding schluming around Lowe's or THD for some small items.  Plus, I don't have to get out and go too far.

20 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I guess it's 1%ers like you and me that like to sling money around.  I dont know; I don't mind paying a little more and avoiding schluming around Lowe's or THD for some small items.  Plus, I don't have to get out and go too far.

Ace is the place with the higher quality hoes.

Haha. They just built one 5 minutes from my place last year. It’s fancy compared to the locals Home Depot and Lowe’s. But I’ve only gone in to buy batteries and hardwood for my grill. The place is pretty empty.

Reminds of the time I nearly got into a fight. I was in an OSH with my dad, and we were looking for the lumber section.

An employee mumble and answer and I had to ask him again. He walked to another coworker and said “What so I have to do, spell it out for them?”

I got in his face and asked him to repeat what he said. The pussy didn’t repeat it. I asked him if he was a racist asshole and he got all huffy. I was making a pretty big scene where store employees and customers started gathering around. 

I dropped the shit I was carrying and walked out. Sweet vengeance when that particular store shut down. 

I like the ace/true value in stafford/missouri city that has been there for 50 years.     Those old guys that hang out there know how to fix everything, and i know next to nothing.  So i walk in there, tell them my problem and it is fixed.     I don't care that i pay 25% more for stuff.    Oh no, i spent 25 bucks instead of 18.50.

There will always be a market for customer service and expertise.  

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

I'm not thrilled with the quality of most of the Ace-branded tools, but what is nice about my neighborhood store is that it is always stocked and there is always someone knowledgable within arms reach for questions. 

I can't count how many times I've gone to the Depot only to find whatever it is I need - 10 hinges of a certain kind or something similar - out of stock. Bizarre. 

No Orchard close to me, but the few times I went there were helpful people there. Helped that there were no shoppers to begin with.