Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

59 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Maybe Harry Reid shouldn’t have gotten rid of the filibuster and there would have been a path to block Kavanaugh, but no, they couldn’t think far enough ahead that that might be a terrible idea for the country. It was a power move for party that will have a horrific impact that won’t be fixed. 

This is 100% true.

Susan Collins nailed it.  Agree with her or not, these are undeniably the words of a strong-minded person who diligently read, researched, listened, thought critically, and refused to bend to societal norms governing “how a WOMAN should FEEL.” Rather, Susan Collins exemplified how a PERSON should THINK. She didn’t get caught up in the emotions of the moment, or follow the crazies dragging her in opposite directions. Instead, she informed herself, thought thoroughly, and made a well-reasoned decision.

I hope that my children learn to read and think critically like Susan Collins, and like her, turn their backs on the crazies, even if their reasoning leads them to disagree with my views.

• Like 3

Jesus Christ.  The man quite literally lied about what he was doing WHILE THE FUCKING HEARINGS WERE HAPPENING.
Stop bending over backwards to excuse him.  He is a serial liar.  He cannot help himself.  He does not follow anything that any one of us would demand of our children as far as a moral compass is concerned.
Damn, man. 

Where did I excuse what he did? Pay closer attention before you attack someone. I have stated multiple times that he should not have been confirmed.

All I’m saying here is that, based on what I’ve read, there is not consensus that impeachment is a slam dunk. I don’t think it will happen.

I also think no one will care enough about it once the next thing grabs the news cycle.

Susan Collins nailed it.  Agree with her or not, these are undeniably the words of a strong-minded person who diligently read, researched, listened, thought critically, and refused to bend to societal norms governing “how a WOMAN should FEEL.” Rather, Susan Collins exemplified how a PERSON should THINK. She didn’t get caught up in the emotions of the moment, or follow the crazies dragging her in opposite directions. Instead, she informed herself, thought thoroughly, and made a well-reasoned decision.

I hope that my children learn to read and think critically like Susan Collins, and like her, turn their backs on the crazies, even if their reasoning leads them to disagree with my views.

Sucks for your kids. Because the only logical conclusion someone can come to is “I don’t know what happened because I wasn’t there.” But there is no humility in these situations.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You could say Icono wrote this and I’d totally believe it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Because for too many Republicans “strong conservative” has come to mean “tribal Republican” and has nothing to do with (and is often opposed to) ideological conservatism.

Edmund Burke and George Washington would look at these guys and see nascent Montagnards.

Rep for working Burke in.

14 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

“I believe she was assaulted, but not by Kavanaugh” is not a reasonable position. 

So her testimony was credible except for when she said (paraphrasing) “I am 100% sure it was Kavanaugh”.  Riiight. Disingenuous horseshit. 

Imagine how Dr. Ford feels about Susan Collins. 

Facts, evidence, and truth are no longer important when it comes to decision making in the Republican Party.  It’s all about me, me, me and $$$. Fuck America should be their slogan going forward.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

He's right.  Anyone who leans to the right will not forgive her initial vote Friday.  Anyone who leans left will not forgive her final vote Saturday.  No one on either side is going to support her.

Because having your conscience influence your decision making is no longer acceptable in the Republican Party 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Facts, evidence, and truth are no longer important when it comes to decisions making in the Republican Party.  It’s all about me, me, me and $$$. Fuck America should be their slogan going forward.

What damn evidence?  What damn facts?  She had nothing to support her claims.  If she had her lawyers wouldn't have been running interference on every Senate request to turn over evidence.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Facts, evidence, and truth are no longer important when it comes to decisions making in the Republican Party.  It’s all about me, me, me and $$$. Fuck America should be their slogan going forward.

You name witnesses and they don’t corroborate your 36 year old allegations with almost no details except a specific recollection that he did it and that you had precisely one beer (because if you admitted to more people would attack your recollection), then reasonable people aren’t going to believe you.  

• Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The FBI wouldn’t even question her so GTFO with this shit. 

Question her about what?  She just testified. And was allowed to read into the record her entire statement that her lawyers drafted for her.  Was there something she needed to change?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

So because I hurt your feelings so much you start doxxing me?   You are such a cunt and should be banned.  Your IQ isn’t in my league anyway.  Your next thoughtful post of substance will be your first.  

But the lefty cabal on here won’t say shit about a conservative being doxxed on this board.  Maybe a mod with some integrity will ban you.  

For starters, I don't know your name.  I am also far from the first person to write what I wrote.

I will give you this -- my IQ isn't in your league.  It's way above it.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

For starters, I don't know your name.  I am also far from the first person to write what I wrote.

I will give you this -- my IQ isn't in your league.  It's way above it.

You must be autistic then.  Because nothing in your posts suggests intelligence. 

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Johnny, just admit you don’t give a fuck if Kavavaugh assaulted Dr Ford.  Because that would be your position if there was video evidence.

Will you admit that bypassing the local LE, which actually adjudicates these types of crimes, and going straight to the media and senate committee means that your side cared more about politics than Dr. Ford. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

cut the doxxing shit out.  I never doxxed anyone.  Including myself.  

No but you are the dipshit that brought your wife into it on the last page and people told you what the result would be.

Doxxing is lame, but people who expect privacy on the internet are idiots.

At any rate, if you didn't call everyone names and wildly insult all the time they probably would not retaliate that way. 

Whether you agree with Collins or not, you can not argue that she is using “facts and logic” when she argues that she beleives both.

Ford-  I am 100%sure it was BK.

BK-  I am 100% sure it wasn’t me.

Collins-  I believe both, but think Ford is mistaken.

Insert WRONG gif.

As Buzzrock states, logic dictates you either believe one or the other or conclude you don’t know.  If you don’t know, you can still conclude that since Ford is credidible, and believes her testimony, that there is enough doubt to move on to the next candidate.  That is what a functional and reasonable executive hiring committee would do.... No one is going to jail based on suspicion, but reasonable suspicion results in loss of job offers on a regular basis.

Edited by Horn Dog

The reason that you believe Kavanaugh is that all of Ford's witnesses, including her best friend who was supposedly there, do not corroborate her account.  All she has left is the claim that she has at least been telling a consistent story, beginning with her therapist.  However, they refused to turn over the therapist notes.  It's easy to conclude that her story is not even corroborated by what she told the therapist.  Game over.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The reason that you believe Kavanaugh is that all of Ford's witnesses, including her best friend who was supposedly there, do not corroborate her account.  All she has left is the claim that she has at least been telling a consistent story, beginning with her therapist.  However, they refused to turn over the therapist notes.  It's easy to conclude that her story is not even corroborated by what she told the therapist.  Game over.

So you believe BK and you don’t believe Ford, which at least follows a logical course. You then agree that you can’t believe both.

She was willing to give her therapy notes to the FBI. My guess is she thought it would be a fruitless endeavor just handing them to Grassley and Co. If her extremely personal therapy notes were going to be compromised she wanted those docs to be in the hands of a non-partisan, professional group of investigators. 

But the FBI investigation was a sham from the get go.

And I love the argument of “why would the FBI need to talk to her when she testified in front of Senators?”.  Another disingenuous play by Republicans.

I think most guys have either slept with a woman and not had a followup date, or had a "makeout" session that didn't turn into sex.  The scary thing about the "new rules" is that it is clear that Ford would have won had her story fallen into either of those categories.  How in the world do you defend yourself from a 30 year old claim like that?  You really can't.  I don't think people are really going to like the new rules. I see a lot of female Supreme Court Justices in our future.

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think most guys have either slept with a woman and not had a followup date, or had a "makeout" session that didn't turn into sex.  The scary thing about the "new rules" is that it is clear that Ford would have won had her story fallen into either of those categories.  How in the world do you defend yourself from a 30 year old claim like that?  You really can't.  I don't think people are really going to like the new rules. I see a lot of female Supreme Court Justices in our future.

That's a good thing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

She was willing to give her therapy notes to the FBI. My guess is she thought it would be a fruitless endeavor just handing them to Grassley and Co. If her extremely personal therapy notes were going to be compromised she wanted those docs to be in the hands of a non-partisan, professional group of investigators. 

Yeah they could have given the notes (the actual entry, Dr. Ford told me about an incident in HS) that strictly pertained to Dr. Ford telling her therapist she was sexually assaulted at some point in her HS days.  Nothing more nothing less.  I don't get the we'll only turn them over to the FBI, when I believe the FBI would have simply turned those notes over to the committee or simply corroborated the fact that yes or no she reported it to her therapist. 

Am I missing something ?

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

She was willing to give her therapy notes to the FBI.

It's b.s. like this that lost her Collins and Flake.  If they supported her claim, turn them over.  She doesn't get to choose.  That's not how it works. We aren't going to delay things another week so you can turn over supporting evidence that should have been turned over a month ago. We're just going to conclude it doesn't support your position.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The "new rules" are that we shouldn't underestimate how low and hypocritically self-righteous the Republicans will go.

• Like 1