Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

50 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I love the gnashing of the teeth and the quiet resignation that the confirmation is going to go through that I’m sensing from the anti-Kavanaugh cabal. No more straws to grasp at. This is a wonderful development. Justice Kavanaugh 

Next week is Infrastructure Week, bro.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I hate to be the one to burst his bubble, but he doesnt have the requisite breeding or character to be upper class.

I certainly don’t own a G650 like you do.  And I’m very happy vacationing in St Barth, as it more than good enough for me.  We can’t all own private jets and take super cool vacations like you.  

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I hate to be the one to burst his bubble, but he doesnt have the requisite breeding or character to be upper class.

csb, one of my bannings from hornfans was because I said something about someones breeding and whalecunt said that it was derogatory to compare another poster to a dog or some stupid shit.  all the ones from shaggy were cause I posted gifs. i am still not sure which one was dumber. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

I'd rather you just stop being racist. You can do it if you try real hard.

Yeah, but the Surly would be much better off, with you not being a complete tool, and calling everyone who disagrees with you a racist.  It's not that hard, for most people....

He is not going to be independent or open-minded. 
He showed the entire country that last week. 

It’s akin to someone yelling about how “all these spics are out to get me!”...and then next week saying “but I’m not a racist, and people of all races can trust me to be fair and impartial.”

Yeah. I gotta be honest. I’m gonna evaluate you by the TRUE colors that you showed in a moment of candor, and conclude that I’ll never get a fair shake from you.
  • Like 1

Just now, Jack Burton said:
11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I certainly don’t own a G650 like you do.  And I’m very happy vacationing in St Barth, as it more than good enough for me.  We can’t all own private jets and take super cool vacations like you.  

It’s a humblebrag face off ladies and gentleman! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Do they have something bad to say about Kavanaugh?

Then assume that the investigation was purposefully limited to ensure that they were never interviewed. That’s as certain as the sunrise.

Yeah that would suck... really bad.  Let's all hope that's not the case.  

Stay away from sharp objects now you scamp.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, deech said:

Don't care, got paid.  He'll earn his "legal respect" by the opinions he writes and the votes that he casts.  He doesn't give a shit what people think, if he did - he would have withdrawn for respect of the legal process.

There's something in political theory known as delegitimization crisis. If confirmed, we're likely to see it play out over the course of Kavanaugh's time on the court. The widely held view of his illegitimacy will matastasize and negatively impact the perception of an impartial Supreme Court. And so, the erosion of norms continues under Fat Nixon.

55 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

He showed his true colors last week. His judicial temperament in signing opinions that his clerk’s wrote that he edited is not indicative of his true personality.

I think that one can certainly get a reading of a judge’s temperament/personality from reading their opinions, especially if those opinions number in the hundreds.

I don’t think that you are suggesting that Kavanaugh’s opinions are not his own, are you?  

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

George Soros is the most powerful man in the world.

It's amazing that (((he))) also pulls all the strings in other pro-Russian failed states such as Poland.  Every societal ill is blamed on Soros holding back the Law and Justice Party.

5 minutes ago, Cacti said:

I think that one can certainly get a reading of a judge’s temperament/personality from reading their opinions, especially if those opinions number in the hundreds.

I don’t think that you are suggesting that Kavanaugh’s opinions are not his own, are you?  

We all know they're his clerks. He proofs.

So to recap: BK goes all out on his prepared statement on Thursday, basically to save his nomination from Trump pulling it. Likely coached by McGahn on what to say.  He saves  his nomination by giving a performance that Trumped loved....but went too far and fucked himself with the legal community and all those who write and follow the court.

They all are for him withdrawing his nomination but he nor the Repubs are going to listen because gotta do this BEFORE the mid-terms!

So he'll get confirmed and then every smart lawyer before the court will argue that he has to recuse himself and use his words against him....so he will be just a part time judge. Which will make him useless to decide about anything that might  do damage  to .....you guessed it, Roe v Wade. No wonder the conservative groups that have come out against him have done so....he's damaged goods. They see this. He'll be part time help after a big spending of political capital.

Damn, truly we all lose because of everyone's bullshittery. EVERYONE from the assholes who vetted him, to the orange baboon who nominated him warts and all, to all the fucking Senators who don't work together anymore in any meaningful way to protect our republic.

I was better off not paying attention to shit like I did during the Obama years. FML.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Yuk said:

It's amazing that (((he))) also pulls all the strings in other pro-Russian failed states such as Poland.  Every societal ill is blamed on Soros holding back the Law and Justice Party.

The crazy thing about the Soros conspiracy theories is it’s always bush league shit like paying protesters or campaign donations.

Never anything sophisticated like Soros stealing everyone’s Facebook data and micro targeting populations using shady international psychological warfare operations. 

Oh wait.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

There's something in political theory known as delegitimization crisis. If confirmed, we're likely to see it play out over the course of Kavanaugh's time on the court. The widely held view of his illegitimacy will matastasize and negatively impact the perception of an impartial Supreme Court. And so, the erosion of norms continues under Fat Nixon.

Which is exactly the goal. Which the GOP is happy to facilitate.

Again, in the recipe for how to kill a democratic republic, we’re now at the point where you crank the oven up to 450 to brown it.

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We all know they're his clerks. He proofs.

Of course he proofs…and of course he doesn’t physically write the opinion, but the content of the opinion accurately reflects his view, does it not?

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Which is exactly the goal. Which the GOP is happy to facilitate.

Again, in the recipe for how to kill a democratic republic, we’re now at the point where you crank the oven up to 450 to brown it.

I don't understand why Fat Nixon's supporters don't see him as a threat to the institutional norms that preserve, protect and defend us? Is is too hyperbolic to compare them to 1930's uncritical Germans?

31 minutes ago, Cacti said:

No I’m not saying that. What I’m saying is you can’t base what he will do entirely on his previous opinions, although that is a definite factor. I’m basing my opinion based on how he acted last week, which I can’t even imagine a judge like Scalia or even Thomas acting like. I respect both of them, even if I don’t always agree with them, and I cannot ever imagine either of them acting that way. 

Respectively, Brisket.  Big fan of your work.  Can you please share more of this Playbook you have mentioned?  Trying to learn here.

There are literally books written on this. Seriously. Books. And as someone who gets assailed for his verbosity on this board, I sure as shit ain’t gonna retype one here.

Here’s one of many that’s close to spot-on:
https://www.amazon.com/How-Fascism-Works-Politics-Them/dp/0525511830