City Repair - Any Recourse?

lonestar3

Couple of weeks ago my neighbors had their water drainage back up and called the city out. Turns out a root had broken down a piece of the pipe so they had to tear it out to replace it. No issues over on my end. 

However, once they finished the repairs, one of the workers came and woke me up at midnight to explain that they had damaged the pressure release valve during repairs and that I needed to call a licensed plumber out to replace it, but that the city would reimburse us for the repair. 

We get the repair done to the tune of $650 and now the city is denying my claim citing that a PRV could fail on its own when water pressure is removed from the system. 

I'm somehow actually floored that I'm getting fucked by a city public service, but if anything seemed cut and dry to me it would have been reimbursing us for the repair we didn't even initiate. 

Any recourse here or am I fucked? 

Years ago, I had some jack wagon from Austin Energy (possibly a contractor for them) show up during the day and change out meters. Somehow they fucked up my solar inverter. My wife is home working on the computer and all of a sudden the electricity is shut off without warning. When they turned it back on the inverter was fucked and no longer worked. They wouldn't do shit for me.  Luckily it was under warranty and we were able to claim it failed on it's own. Still had to pay someone to install the replacement.

Good luck OP. Not worth the fight imo.

Edited by HOOKEM4

17 hours ago, lonestar3 said:

Couple of weeks ago my neighbors had their water drainage back up and called the city out. Turns out a root had broken down a piece of the pipe so they had to tear it out to replace it. No issues over on my end. 

However, once they finished the repairs, one of the workers came and woke me up at midnight to explain that they had damaged the pressure release valve during repairs and that I needed to call a licensed plumber out to replace it, but that the city would reimburse us for the repair. 

We get the repair done to the tune of $650 and now the city is denying my claim citing that a PRV could fail on its own when water pressure is removed from the system. 

I'm somehow actually floored that I'm getting fucked by a city public service, but if anything seemed cut and dry to me it would have been reimbursing us for the repair we didn't even initiate. 

Any recourse here or am I fucked? 

I am having trouble figuring out exactly what you have going on here, sounds like conflating two different systems? By water drainage are you talking about his sewer lateral or a storm drain? Or are you on a force main? Did they cut the water main out of the way to fix this?

I'll hand over my man card, but I'm not entirely sure, mainly because I didn't think that I'd have any involvement in the situation until I got my midnight message. Basically, the neighbor's pipes started backing up and bubbling into his house. They did repairs on the city side (where the damage was) and had to turn off water to both of our properties at the shared location.

I guess the shit that really pisses me off is that the worker said yeah, just get a licensed plumber out here as soon as you can and the city will reimburse you for it. What he didn't say was that I had no fucking chance of getting a dime back and that maybe I should pursue a couple of bids instead of getting the guys right down the road to get over there ASAP.

Also, how the fuck do I know that there wasn't any "negligent operation of motorized equipment?" I wasn't there. In fact, I didn't know any of this shit was going down until I got home that evening and had a backhoe trailer blocking my driveway.

Likely the L3's home and neighbor share double water and wastewater services. So when they go in to fix the wastewater service for the neighbor, they kill the water at the corp stop. That prevents someone jumping in the shower and dumping a bunch of water down the waste line while they are working on it.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lonestar3 said:

I'll hand over my man card, but I'm not entirely sure, mainly because I didn't think that I'd have any involvement in the situation until I got my midnight message. Basically, the neighbor's pipes started backing up and bubbling into his house. They did repairs on the city side (where the damage was) and had to turn off water to both of our properties at the shared location.

I guess the shit that really pisses me off is that the worker said yeah, just get a licensed plumber out here as soon as you can and the city will reimburse you for it. What he didn't say was that I had no fucking chance of getting a dime back and that maybe I should pursue a couple of bids instead of getting the guys right down the road to get over there ASAP.

Also, how the fuck do I know that there wasn't any "negligent operation of motorized equipment?" I wasn't there. In fact, I didn't know any of this shit was going down until I got home that evening and had a backhoe trailer blocking my driveway.

I got you. To be honest, 650 isn't too shabby a price.

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Likely the L3's home and neighbor share double water and wastewater services. So when they go in to fix the wastewater service for the neighbor, they kill the water at the corp stop. That prevents someone jumping in the shower and dumping a bunch of water down the waste line while they are working on it.

Could be. We put in tons of those on private sites, but every city I have worked in has separate water services and laterals for public service. But I have no idea what it would be where he is.

City of Austin has water and waste on same lot pin and most lots have doubles. It is possible for a lot to have a single water and single wastewater service but if his water was turned off, I assume that isn't the case. Odds are they are the standard double services and that is why they killed the water.

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

City of Austin has water and waste on same lot pin and most lots have doubles. It is possible for a lot to have a single water and single wastewater service but if his water was turned off, I assume that isn't the case. Odds are they are the standard double services and that is why they killed the water.

Fuck that's inconvenient.