Need a logo for a new business

Stros

Advice from the legal end of it, which also stems from some other factors.  As far as trademarks go, "words dominate," and Hometown Pest Solutions is probably descriptive.  Which means it's not instantly protectable as a trademark, which reflects that it isn't a very powerful name as far as distinguishing you from others.

People tend to think that graphic logos are the key to memorable business promotion, but the reality is that most of them change and change pretty often.  Even if you can think of an iconic logo, the words of the trademark that go along with it are even more iconic. Kodak, Pepsi, Coca-Cola.

It's not the worst mark, but it's not the strongest either.  Perhaps give some more thought to the words.  You will want a professional looking logo, but ultimately it's probably less important than the words.

And of course the goods and services are more important than either.

• Like 1

Hometown sounds like you’re trying to play up the local thing in hopes of getting more business.  For pest control, ac service, plumbing, and other light home service type of business, I like people who put their name on the side of the truck.  I think people are less likely to fuck you over if I can go on Facebook and say Jimbo Fisher pest control screwed me over.  I don’t even know the name of my plumbers business, he’s just saved in my phone under his name.

• Like 1

With full color business cards being affordable you can do what you want on those from a multi-color logo perspective.  What I would suggest is that you also make sure whatever logo design you choose it is also easily converted to a one color logo that still looks good.  For cheapier flyer and cheapie uniforms one color is a lot cheaper with screen printing and embroidery. 

You also need a motto of some sort- "keep your shoes clean and let us crush your bugs" or some other such jibberish that people can remember.