Credit Where Credit Is Due – Herman’s QB Power RPO Scheme Against TCU

Katfid54

2 minutes ago, gurt said:

I noticed these as well, and it further led me to believe Beck isn't calling plays any more.

This isn't really a "play calling" issue.  This is a scheme that they obviously worked on during the week.  Frankly, it's something they probably saw/liked during the offseason and started implementing in fall camp.

Also, running the first play two times in a row may actually be an indicator of Beck playcalling.  He loves to do that and did that numerous times last year (see, e.g., Sam fumbling on our second straight QB power in overtime against USC).

Edited by Katfid54

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

This isn't really a "play calling" issue.  This is a scheme that they obviously worked on during the week.  Frankly, it's something they probably saw/liked during the offseason and started implementing in fall camp.

Also, running the first play two times in a row may actually be an indicator of Beck playcalling.  He loves to do that and did that numerous times last year (see, e.g., Sam fumbling on our second straight QB power in overtime against USC).

There's nothing wrong with running something that works repeatedly, especially if you build in constraints or wrinkles to counter potential adjustments.

Pretty sure people were begging for us to do that last season.

• Like 1

Just now, Machinator said:

There's nothing wrong with running something that works repeatedly, especially if you build in constraints or wrinkles to counter potential adjustments.

Pretty sure people were begging for us to do that last season.

Agree, and I'm all for it.  We got 18 yards on the back-to-back QB power, and it set up our ability to use that formation for the rest of the game.  Earlier this year, we ran zone read against Tulsa something like 8 or 9 times in a row.

My only point was that we can't say these four play calls show that Beck is no longer calling plays.  They don't actually provide useful data points one way or the other.  It's more likely that this was a script of plays that they wanted to run at a certain point.

Just now, hacker said:

Play #1 - outside receiver looks like Heard and I'm about 95% positive Johnson is eligible.  They give the receivers some leeway nowadays.

You're right it is Heard.

If Johnson is off the line of scrimmage (and I agree that it's close), then that play should've resulted in an illegal formation penalty, because we would only have 6 men on the line of scrimmage.  If he's on the line of scrimmage (which he has to be for it not to be a penalty), then he's covered up and inelligible.

Just now, Katfid54 said:

Agree, and I'm all for it.  We got 18 yards on the back-to-back QB power, and it set up our ability to use that formation for the rest of the game.  Earlier this year, we ran zone read against Tulsa something like 8 or 9 times in a row.

My only point was that we can't say these four play calls show that Beck is no longer calling plays.  They don't actually provide useful data points one way or the other.  It's more likely that this was a script of plays that they wanted to run at a certain point.

People think that playcalling works like Madden.  Like you have a list of plays in a playbook, and you point to one and hope you are right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finomenal post. It also reinforces the notion that to play winning football you can’t just put in a particular offensive system and count on it to score points. You have to be able to think about what is going on with the opponent and develop a twist to your scheme to address it. When Saban said Texas now has an X’s and O’s coach, this is what I’ve hoped we’d see. I’ve been willing to overlook Herman’s peculiar personality because of this. It’s nice to finally see some progress.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Think the final play posted with Anderson flying out to block is sometimes called a Tunnel Screen..... Definitely like the concept

Yep. That's what it is.  Also sometimes called a "middle screen," because the receiver often ends up running back across the middle of the field.

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Think the final play posted with Anderson flying out to block is sometimes called a Tunnel Screen..... Definitely like the concept

Right, and it aligns with the type of guys Herman is recruiting at OT, big-framed guys like Christian Jones and Reese Moore who are extremely athletic on the move. Kerstetter as well, to a lesser extent.

Edited by Machinator

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Finomenal post. It also reinforces the notion that to play winning football you can’t just put in a particular offensive system and count on it to score points. You have to be able to think about what is going on with the opponent and develop a twist to your scheme to address it. When Saban said Texas now has an X’s and O’s coach, this is what I’ve hoped we’d see. I’ve been willing to overlook Herman’s peculiar personality because of this. It’s nice to finally see some progress.

Agree.  I wonder if/when there may be some Auburn-esque run game wrinkles that we see from Hand.  We're definitely seeing blocking improvement, and we've blocked the power so much better this year than we did last year.  But I think there is more coming that we haven't shown yet.

And, yes, I definitely hope Herman and Co. continue to roll out these fun/interesting wrinkles that give me the opportunity to keep doing posts like these because our offense continues to show new, interesting concepts and packages.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Right, and it aligns with the type of guys Herman is recruiting at OT, big-framed guys like Christian Jones and Reese Moore who are extremely athletic on the move. Kerstetter as well, to a lesser extent.

I've seen other teams run a Tunnel Screen to the short side with a wide receiver instead of RB like Texas did.  Hopefully we'll see Horns run this at some point with Duvernay or LJH... just think those guys could bust a long gain on this play.

Edited by LTtxfan

54 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Jerrod Heard (who has replaced Duvernay as the outside eligible receiver) does almost nothing on this play other than shadow the cornerback from about five yards away.  If Jerrod Heard attacks that block, Moore has a lot to work with (and is basically one on one against the safety).  Instead, Moore has to take the route outside Heard and only gains five or six yards.

I honestly don’t know why Heard ever steps on the field at this point. His lack of effort on that play pisses me off.

• Like 2

Great post, I noticed the formation during the game and rewound to watch the sequence. Drives me nuts when defenses treat an ineligible receiver like an eligible receiver, but when it works for us it's great. This formation (with an inside receiver covered up) is something that Malzahn uses at Auburn dozens of times a game it seems like.

I'm pretty sure in a previous game we had Beck in that position, but that doesn't make nearly as much sense. The defense likely isn't going to treat him like a serious receiving threat anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I honestly don’t know why Heard ever steps on the field at this point. His lack of effort on that play pisses me off.

I don't know if they're trying to redshirt Burt, but I'm hoping he soaks up whatever snaps  at Z Duvernay doesn't get now that he's healthy.

Edited by Machinator

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Great post, I noticed the formation during the game and rewound to watch the sequence. Drives me nuts when defenses treat an ineligible receiver like an eligible receiver, but when it works for us it's great. This formation (with an inside receiver covered up) is something that Malzahn uses at Auburn dozens of times a game it seems like.

I'm pretty sure in a previous game we had Beck in that position, but that doesn't make nearly as much sense. The defense likely isn't going to treat him like a serious receiving threat anyway.

I know exactly what you're talking about. A similar formation that we've used in the past (although never motioning out into an empty set like this), we have used Beck split out.  Our tendency in that formation has consistently been that we then run the slot receiver from the opposite side of the play on a jet sweep toward the side with the ineligible receiver.

Here's a quick draw up of what I recall seeing:

Herman_jet.png

Just now, Sejjr said:

Agree this formation has a lot of potential, and outside of Heard, it suits our personnel. That "block" by Heard is a fucking travesty though. With Ingram and maybe Eagles in there, I expect it could be even more successful. Great post OP.

Duvernay has done a nice job of downfield blocking this year.  I wish we could've seen him in the game to attempt that block.

Awesome post. " Post motion set" photos for play 1 and play 2 are the same photo unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Thank you for taking the time to put this all together.  Definitely encouraging to see the offense appear as if they not only have a plan, but can make adjustments based on what is actually happening. 

Thanks,!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, orange dream said:

Awesome post. " Post motion set" photos for play 1 and play 2 are the same photo unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Thank you for taking the time to put this all together.  Definitely encouraging to see the offense appear as if they not only have a plan, but can make adjustments based on what is actually happening. 

Thanks,!!

Fuck. You're right.  Here's what should be "post motion" for play 2:

Play_2_Post_Motion.jpg

49 minutes ago, gurt said:

I noticed these as well, and it further led me to believe Beck isn't calling plays any more.

It also goes to show the need for more athletic OL. Ehlinger's 1st run and Watson's screen pass would have been huge gains had the OL been able to get out faster and engage defenders while they were on their feet, instead of watching them make plays while diving past them.

Just now, Enchubben said:

Why did we go away from this at all?  Did they adjust to this formation at all, or did we just stop running this?

I remember watching live and thinking this is working, then thinking where the hell did those plays go?

We ran it a few more times in the second half.  Probably could've run it more, but we had a lot of stuff on offense that was getting us 4-6 yards (which is what we got on most of these plays).  The look would've been a nice set to get a look in for the 3rd & 1 and 4th & 1 where Danny Young got stuffed on back-to-back plays, though.

I can see Herman not wanting to run it out of the gates in the 2nd half, when we were pinned in the shadow of our goalposts on our two initial drives, in case Patterson had come up with a defensive adjustment at halftime that would've resulted in a big time negative play.

the thing i remembered at the time was we got a 1st and 10 at the TCU 47 and we did not have LJH in the game. I don't get it. These are the type of possessions that we have to make the most of, and having your best players in the game is making the most of. At least make the defense have to focus on LJH.

7 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

in case Patterson had come up with a defensive adjustment at halftime that would've resulted in a big time negative play.

You mean other coaches adjust to what you're doing well and you might not wanna play into that? Who the hell'd a'thought...

Good work here

texas-longhorn-assistant-coach-tim-beck-

Anyway, thank God for Herb Hand because the ball moves when the OL does their fucking jobs. Great work by the OL as well. They really should always be the leaders of the team. As a position group, they must work together to be successful, and we ain't gonna win without em.

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It also goes to show the need for more athletic OL. Ehlinger's 1st run and Watson's screen pass would have been huge gains had the OL been able to get out faster and engage defenders while they were on their feet, instead of watching them make plays while diving past them.

Imagine Tyler Johnson running this scheme.  Here's a clip from his high school film:

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Agree..I was cussing Heard watching that play.   Between the dropped balls that hit him in the hands to the piss poor effort like we see here, it's time he just stay on the sideline.

Great post OP....pos rep

Edited by HuntinHorn

13 minutes ago, po elvis said:

the thing i remembered at the time was we got a 1st and 10 at the TCU 47 and we did not have LJH in the game. I don't get it. These are the type of possessions that we have to make the most of, and having your best players in the game is making the most of. At least make the defense have to focus on LJH.

This isn't a computer game where players don't get tired and need a rest. Maybe he wasn't in the game, because the personnel groupings for this formation called for Josh Moore in the slot especially since TCU was bracketing Humphrey almost the entire game.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, 54_Strat said:

Awesome post OP. It makes me realize how much I am missing while watching a game. 

Watching the OL/DL is my favorite. It's easier to do live at the game, as the telecast usually focuses on the ball. These adjustments and motions are sweet, but for me the entire game happens in the trenches. If you watch our DL/LB play you can see why our DBs are doing so well on the back end. Takes all 11.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Watching the OL/DL is my favorite. It's easier to do live at the game, as the telecast usually focuses on the ball. These adjustments and motions are sweet, but for me the entire game happens in the trenches. If you watch our DL/LB play you can see why our DBs are doing so well on the back end. Takes all 11.

I wish replays of an All22 view of College FB Games (like coaches get) were made available on YouTube..... Would be interesting to study not only TEXAS , but also Bama and BlowU 's games.....

• Like 1