Good sushi restaurant within 10 miles of dfw airport

markstanco

I understand the question here, I just don’t understand the reasoning behind it.  Do you live in a town without sushi and you’re just going through extreme sushi withdrawal?  Do you have a crystal ball and just know that you and your wife will be craving sushi in 9 days?  Do you both just love sushi so much that you try to eat it daily and that’ll be your only chance that day?  Do you not realize that there are tons of better options other than sushi in the DFW area?  Do you not realize there are surely tons of better sushi options out east by the water than what’s available in DFW, especially close to the airport?

Question does not compute.  It’s like me saying I’m flying out of Boston airport headed to Texas and I want to grab some BBQ by the airport before I head out.

Okay maybe not that extreme, but I’m just not following.  There’s a sushi place on every corner these days.  And I certainly wouldn’t say it’s something DFW is known for.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I understand the question here, I just don’t understand the reasoning behind it.  Do you live in a town without sushi and you’re just going through extreme sushi withdrawal?  Do you have a crystal ball and just know that you and your wife will be craving sushi in 9 days?  Do you both just love sushi so much that you try to eat it daily and that’ll be your only chance that day?  Do you not realize that there are tons of better options other than sushi in the DFW area?  Do you not realize there are surely tons of better sushi options out east by the water than what’s available in DFW, especially close to the airport?

Question does not compute.  It’s like me saying I’m flying out of Boston airport headed to Texas and I want to grab some BBQ by the airport before I head out.

Okay maybe not that extreme, but I’m just not following.  There’s a sushi place on every corner these days.  And I certainly wouldn’t say it’s something DFW is known for.

it's Stanco

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Do you not realize there are surely tons of better sushi options out east by the water than what’s available in DFW, especially close to the airport?

Isn't this reasoning kind of like saying gas prices are cheaper in Odessa or in SA because the all the oil is right there?  Nope.  Everything moves through a supply chain.   Fish is caught sent to market/auctions and then sold to restaurants by a middle man.  I'm sure there are a lots restaurants that are buying straight from the dock but general its coming through the supply chain no?

But I do wonder why someone would be hell bent on eating sushi right before they go to a seafood mecca.

Edited by midtown

4 hours ago, midtown said:

Isn't this reasoning kind of like saying gas prices are cheaper in Odessa or in SA because the all the oil is right there?  Nope.  Everything moves through a supply chain.   Fish is caught sent to market/auctions and then sold to restaurants by a middle man.  I'm sure there are a lots restaurants that are buying straight from the dock but general its coming through the supply chain no?

But I do wonder why someone would be hell bent on eating sushi right before they go to a seafood mecca.

Regardless of supply chain, when days and even hours matter with regard to freshness and especially with sushi, I don't think your analogy is accurate.  I'm not talking about price, I'm talking about freshness.  I don't think the fresh seafood is getting shipped from the coast to a middle man in Texas and back to the coast again.  Even with the supply chain, those coastal restaurants are getting theirs quicker (and therefor fresher) than Texas.

31 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Plenty of good sushi in D/FW. 7 million people live here; they’re not shipping fish on a covered wagon. 

I'm not saying we don't have decent sushi.  It's just not something we're known for.  And I'd bet those coastal towns have better (at least fresher).

11 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Regardless of supply chain, when days and even hours matter with regard to freshness and especially with sushi, I don't think your analogy is accurate. 

A plane that leaves Tokyo or Alaska arrives in Dallas faster than Miami or Boston or NYC.   

Sushi fish is frozen anyway - deep frozen at a certain temperature for a certain number of hours to kill any possible parasites. So it really don't make a shit.

Edit: Except for tuna, which doesn't usually have parasites. But it's usually frozen anyway because of freshness and convenience.

Edited by Bat Guano
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Instead of spending time debating the merits of his question, or telling him he should ask a different question, why not just answer his question?

I guess you guys have never asked a question that you needed answered, and not re-phrased for you

Are you new here? You seem like you're new here.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 1

The OP should take me to Fuji Kim’s before he leaves town and should take his wife out to a nice steak dinner near the airport.

Also, how the fuck does one get 9 days away from the kids? Are you giving them profafol? I’m lucky to get 24 hours away with the missus once a year.

11 hours ago, AustinMT said:

I know.  I just think sometimes too often we flame first, and help (maybe) later

Read up thread.  He got 4 legitimate answers to his question before the flaming began.  And honestly, those are probably the only 4 answers to the question as I doubt there are many more than those 4 sushi places within 10 miles of the airport.

So, if anything, I’d say this thread had fairly civilized help to flame ratios...by Surly standards anyway.  So why don’t you go fuck yourself!  (I only threw that last part in to make it more Surly)

On 10/5/2018 at 8:08 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sushi,  let alone good sushi within 10 miles of any airport in America is probably a white whale.....  Shouldn't you be asking wheres the best Fridays 10 miles or so from the airport ?

Funny you should say so.

One of the fancier sushi restaurants in the country used to be on the grounds of the Santa Monica airport. Phil Jackson made it a tradition to go there after each of his Lakers championships. 

It eventually got shut down because it was serving very expensive (and endangered, and illegal) whale sushi to celebrities and high-rolling Japanese expats. 

Fun bonus: the restaurant was called The Hump.