Let's Get Real on Texas FB (Likes, Concerns, Trends, Can Improve)

LTtxfan

59 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Orlando deserves another season at least. Y'all are being too harsh. He has had absolute dick to work with the past 2 games and as a result the D he developed at the start of the season is suffering where it's missing play-makers (we've also played 3 pretty damn good offenses - 2 of which on the road).

Our D last year was the only thing that could have won us 8 games. Get these seniors out of here, pump up the teenagers, bring some freshman in on the 2 and 3 deep and we will be one of the top 2 defenses in the B12 next season.

Not seeing many folks saying Orlando shouldn't return.  But definitely a time for Orlando and Herman to figure out how to get the Defense back on track.

I hope that adjustments in the Staff are made in March 2019 to allow 5 assistants on the defensive side of the ball.  Also, the Analysts/QC Coaches could  be beefed up with more experience as well (like Saban has done with Sarkisian & Butch Jones).

There is no doubt that CDC will be willing to discuss any changes or resources they might need....

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Not seeing many folks saying Orlando shouldn't return.  But definitely a time for him and Herman to figure out how to get the Defense back on track.

I hope that adjustments in the Staff are made in March 2019 to allow 5 assistants on the defensive side of the ball.  Also, the Analysts/QC Coaches could  be beefed up with more experience as well (like Saban has done with Sarkisian & Butch Jones).

There is no doubt that CDC will be willing to discuss any changes or resources they might need....

More talking about other threads/general discussion. I see the defense right now as 35% a depth issue, 35% a youth issue, and maybe 15% each to injuries and poor scheming. We have played games this season where our D has kicked the shit out of the opposing team. Three of them, actually. 

25 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Jerrod-Heard.jpg

Dude I'm out of reps but this is amazing. The catch he had on our last drive made me so fucking proud. He could have transferred, he could have quit, he could have sulked on the bench but he stepped up when we needed him to help us get the W. He seems like the kind of guy that crushes it in life post football.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ztejas said:

More talking about other threads/general discussion. I see the defense right now as 35% a depth issue, 35% a youth issue, and maybe 15% each to injuries and poor scheming. We have played games this season where our D has kicked the shit out of the opposing team. Three of them, actually. 

Unfortunately, the games where our D kicked the shit out of the other team are looking more and more like us taking advantage of playing bad and/or poorly coached offenses. I don't know if it bears out statistically, but based on the eye test, the best this defense has played when you adjust for opponent has played has probably been the first three quarters of OU and then the Baylor game.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Unfortunately, the games where our D kicked the shit out of the other team are looking more and more like us taking advantage of playing bad and/or poorly coached offenses. I don't know if it bears out statistically, but based on the eye test, the best this defense has played when you adjust for opponent has played has probably been the first three quarters of OU and then the Baylor game.

Let's pump the brakes. This isn't an 11 win team even though they had us fooled for a sec. After the last 8 years of fermented horse manure I think our D shutting down mediocre/bad offenses and hanging just enough with good ones to get us 9-10 wins is a pretty damn big improvement.

And it was actually 4 games - USC, TCU, KSt, Baylor. Not that they are offensive juggernauts, but holding 1/3rd of your schedule under 20 points isn't easy in this conference.

• 1 month later...

Remember when Herman was asked how many elite players he had on current roster..... And he was laughed at for saying "SOME"

No Horns players made ESPN'S Best 50 players for 2018 Season.

West Va had 2

KState had 1

Okie Lite had 1

BlowU had 2

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25504670/college-football-best-players-2018-season,

Good news for both the 2018 and 2019 TEXAS Recruiting Classes is that the Horns are once again signing some Elite Players....

Hook'em 🤘

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Remember when Herman was asked how many elite players he had on current roster..... And he was laughed at for saying "SOME"

No Horns players made ESPN'S Best 50 players for 2018 Season.

West Va had 2

KState had 1

Okie Lite had 1

BlowU had 2

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25504670/college-football-best-players-2018-season,

Good news for both the 2018 and 2019 TEXAS Recruiting Classes is that the Horns are once again signing some Elite Players....

Hook'em 🤘

If Brandon Jones hadn't been so banged up, he probably would have made that list.  Him and Sterns are the most elite players we probably have.  CJ and LJH on the bubble of elite, followed by Omenihu.  Ehlinger is knocking on the door, all we need is a slightly more reliable run threat from our backs and he should have enough room to flourish.    

1 hour ago, bejezuz said:

If Brandon Jones hadn't been so banged up, he probably would have made that list.  Him and Sterns are the most elite players we probably have.  CJ and LJH on the bubble of elite, followed by Omenihu.  Ehlinger is knocking on the door, all we need is a slightly more reliable run threat from our backs and he should have enough room to flourish.    

Good Stuff.

Thinking Floyd, Jake, T.Johnson, Liebrock, Whittington and KW2 all sign with Horns 2019 Class..... they all have shots at being elite in college. 🤘

On 10/16/2018 at 7:11 PM, LTtxfan said:

What do Surly Folks think about Stan Drayton so far??

Prior to the Baylor game last Friday on HornFM, Alex Dunlap said the following  about Drayton: "What exactly has Stan Drayton really done?  He was the most valued hire of all these guys. Their running back rotations have been abysmal.  Texas hasn't got a running game going since he got here."

As for me..... I thought Young or Toneil would be much better this year... Has Not Happened.... Have not seen much from Drayton's RB recruiting yet. Not using RBs more in pass game makes no sense either.   Drayton has been a disappointing coach so far....not sure why Drayton doesn't get more criticism from Surly Folks....

Here you go Machinator  per your request.....🤘

I'm still holding small hope for Trey to pick Texas.  

Edited by LTtxfan

So how should Herman structure his Staff going forward??

I've always thought more experience should be added in the analysts area to better prepare for opponents and gameplanning.  In the three 2018 games with extra time to prepare, Texas Coaches got whipped in gameplanning.....

Maryland...... Okie Lite....... BlowU CCGame

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saban does a great job with this, and it also helps him fill assistant coaching vacancies when he loses coaches.... At SEC Media Day this year Saban was asked:

On what qualities Saban looks for when hiring assistant coaches:

"I think it's one of the reasons that I think a lot of people misjudge my reason for having staff size and having lots of interns, is I like to help develop those coaches so when they go someplace else and coach, I can hire them back someday. Because I'd rather hire somebody that I know as a person in terms of who they are, kind of character they have, kind of leadership they demonstrate, the kind of teacher they can be, rather than having to go on somebody else's recommendation."

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Still curious about Surly Folks thoughts on the following...... So how should Herman structure his Staff going forward??

I've always thought more experience should be added in the analysts area to better prepare for opponents and gameplanning.

In the three 2018 games with extra time to prepare, Texas Coaches got whipped in gameplanning.....

Maryland...... Okie Lite....... BlowU CCGame

Edited by LTtxfan

I'm all for extra analyst positions, as long as they add value.  You can't just hire 10 ex-coaches and say everyone provide your recommendations...there has to be structure and trust so it doesn't turn into a clusterfuck.

The bigger improvement I am looking for this offseason is hopefully the coaches have a better understanding about the players capabilities and the strengths/weaknesses of the conference opponents.  There is now a big enough sample size for the scheme and strategy mistakes to be identified and corrected.

8 minutes ago, Yesh said:

I'm all for extra analyst positions, as long as they add value.  You can't just hire 10 ex-coaches and say everyone provide your recommendations...there has to be structure and trust so it doesn't turn into a clusterfuck.

The bigger improvement I am looking for this offseason is hopefully the coaches have a better understanding about the players capabilities and the strengths/weaknesses of the conference opponents.  There is now a big enough sample size for the scheme and strategy mistakes to be identified and corrected.

No doubt who you hire is important... just believe Herman could use more experience in the analyst group.  Also like how Saban builds his analyst staff to gain familiarity with other coaches and continue learning more from others.  Saban also uses his analyst group as a pipeline for future assistant coach hires. 

When TEXAS starts qualifying for CFP, then other Teams will start hiring Herman's asst coaches away and Tom needs a plan in place to replace the loss of someone like Todd Orlando or James Washington.....

On 11/12/2018 at 8:50 PM, ztejas said:

Dude I'm out of reps but this is amazing. The catch he had on our last drive made me so fucking proud. He could have transferred, he could have quit, he could have sulked on the bench but he stepped up when we needed him to help us get the W. He seems like the kind of guy that crushes it in life post football.

Isn’t he the UT single-game recordholder for total offense (Cal)?

On 12/27/2018 at 11:16 AM, Yesh said:

Probably after NSD2 some changes happen......

With several of the assistant coaches contracts expiring in March 2019, this is a critical couple of months for Hermanator to improve his Staff.  Time to take steps to improve Recruiting, Scouting, Gameplanning and Player Development.

Hermanator can no longer afford for his Staff to be outcoached in games like Okie Lite, Maryland and BlowU CCG.  Don't be afraid to add more experience to both the asst coaches room and analysts/QC group.  Take time to self scout and improve deficiencies while finding ways to make better in-game adjustments more quickly..... part of the reason for the losses of Oklite, MD, CCG.

Saban is always doing things to improve his coaching..... "Adapt or Die" 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Probably after NSD2 some changes happen......

With several of the assistant coaches contracts expiring in March 2019, this is a critical couple of months for Hermanator to improve his Staff.  Time to take steps to improve Recruiting, Scouting, Gameplanning and Player Development.

Hermanator can no longer afford for his Staff to be outcoached in games like Okie Lite, Maryland and BlowU CCG.  Don't be afraid to add more experience to both the asst coaches room and analysts/QC group.  Take time to self scout and improve deficiencies while finding ways to make better in-game adjustments more quickly..... part of the reason for the losses of Oklite, MD, CCG.

Saban is always doing things to improve his coaching..... "Adapt or Die" 🤘

In all fairness, it kinda easy to look like a coach hiring genious when 117 other schools out there would sacrifice a virgin to satan for the talent riding pine on Saban's squads...  Mack proved that lackluster coaching can be whitewashed with superior talent.

2 hours ago, Gaffords said:

In all fairness, it kinda easy to look like a coach hiring genious when 117 other schools out there would sacrifice a virgin to satan for the talent riding pine on Saban's squads...  Mack proved that lackluster coaching can be whitewashed with superior talent.

True, but having (I think) 6 new assistants for this year's 2018 Bama Team is part of a process where Saban does a much better job of Staff construction than other Head Coaches.  Don't kid yourself about how important the analysts & Quality Control group at Bama are to Saban's success especially with 6 New Asst Coaches.

As I previously posted.....  On what qualities Saban looks for when hiring assistant coaches:

Saban:  "I think it's one of the reasons that I think a lot of people misjudge my reason for having staff size and having lots of interns, is I like to help develop those coaches so when they go someplace else and coach, I can hire them back someday. Because I'd rather hire somebody that I know as a person in terms of who they are, kind of character they have, kind of leadership they demonstrate, the kind of teacher they can be, rather than having to go on somebody else's recommendation."

Edited by LTtxfan

On 11/6/2018 at 11:36 AM, LTtxfan said:

Saw some other interesting stuff on running a successful program from another Surly Poster:

What makes Saban so much better at player development than all other coaches?

quote:  If you want to see the field at Bama, you have to eventually play at a 5 star level or your arse is on the bench. The 3 stars that sign on for Bama know this and are surrounded by competition that will push them. If they don't have the heart, they get processed.

Exactly. A five star at another school thinks he’s the crap. A five star at bama is just another guy and is having to beat out 3 more guys that were ranked just as high.

Coach Saban apparently has a unique and semi-proprietary method of evaluating recruits. This was mentioned when he alluded to coaches leaving his employ to coach elsewhere, and taking his system of evaluation with them. 

If you had a way of testing a recruit to see the level of his physical and or mental maturity, you could do a lot of things with lesser ranked recruits. But beyond that, read Clinton-Dix's comments on "the process." It is enlightening. 

In the series of videos prior to the season that showed the Bama practices, I was amazed at how organized and intense the Bama practices were. Saban was on top of every detail and made the players and coaches get it right. 

Of course, having top talent is key, but getting everybody on the same page and executing things in a manner that gives you the best chance of success is what sets Saban apart from most coaches.

-I'm actually a good person to answer this. I used to be in the strength andconditioning field and was involved in the program during the late Shula early Saban era. Also am familiar with a bunch of programs good and bad at different levels(having worked at several before doing something else with my life). 

The answer is simple. Saban runs a program like a good company runs its business. I'm sure some have read the book "The E-Myth" which talks about running even smallbusinesses like a turn-key big company. This is how Saban runs Alabama. It is a neverfailing, always consistent, turn-key operation. Ive never seen any other school run anything similar on a consistent basis. 

The first year at Bama, Saban went to Tommy Moffitt(whom LSU fans stupidly want torun off) and asked him to come be the strength coach at Bama. He refused but sent Cochran, his assistant, instead. Saban wanted to change the culture immediately and permanently so he instructed Cochran to read the program's creed loudly before every single workout in the weight room(which he did every damn time). 

He has a plan and procedure for everything. At other programs countless amounts of time and effort are wasted contemplating decisions and actions that are always pre-made at Alabama. While you and your coaches are debating x and y, having meetings other this and that, Alabama coaches are miles ahead. While your players are waiting on your coaches to figure things out, Bama's players have received hours and hours of more, well organized instruction. While your program is wasting precious amounts of limited time on "changing the culture" Bama never missed a beat and ismiles ahead with better athletes and coaches. There is a manual and a procedure for operation and it is followed. 

Saban has been at Alabama for over a decade while other teams have run through failed coach after failed coach, having to restart the some old process of "changing culture" year after year and having the same problems of being miles behind. I havent seen anything behind the curtains at UGA but I can only assume Kirby has been the only one able to check his ego enough to fully devote his program to the process enough to get it running at an Alabama level. He was there long enough, and cant deny it works better than anything he can personally come up with. 

Ego does more coaches in than anything else and Saban is better at checking his ego than any other coach out there. You may say "bu bu but...I've seen him do this and that argue with coaches..etc etc." Saban had a successful formula of a monstrous front 7 3-4 defense and power rushing attack with game manager QBs. It worked and was working well...yet he scrapped it and adapted as the game did. How many other less successful coaches have rode their ships straight into the ground because they refused to admit their brilliant formula which was once successful couldn't cut it anymore? (looking at you LSU and Auburn) In many ways, Saban is similar to Bear Bryant who also scrapped a system that had won him multiple championships toinstall the Wishbone in 1971. 

So many coaches are so competitive and have such high egos that they cant accept that its the players that must win them games, not their brilliant coaching ability. This is why you see so many "athletes" at QB who have to look over at the sideline to get every single read for them because their coach cant stop trying to play his team like a video game. The best coaches realize they have to coach like hell until game time...and then let go and let the players do their thing. 

Tons of you are gonna say I'm full of shite...I'm not. Studying coaching methods and programs was an obsession of mine for a long time and I saw a lot of programs up close and personal. I was most able to really appreciate what Saban did at Alabama when I started my own business... 

Hope this helps some of you understand.

-Gus Malzahn's greatest nemesis may be his intellect. I truly believe hes is very smart, maybe the smartest in the SEC. He did some incredible things by going back and adapting some of the early football offenses(which were probably more advanced than today's offenses) to the modern game and dominating with it. He single handedly caused Saban to divert the direction of the Alabama program. 

I haven't seen much behind the curtains at Auburn, so you Auburn fans know much more than I do but if I had to guess, he is just being too stubborn with personnel and the offense. When the pieces fall together, they can be all but unstoppable but when they aren't all there, he apparently is just not gonna adapt. Its my only guess for the roller coaster ride you see at Auburn every few seasons.

-Alabama's player evaluation models, strength program, player development/practice manuals are sitting in almost every football program in the country.

-He demands perfection from his coaches more than his players. He holds everyone accountable for what happens in games and practices.

-% of 5  stars drafted in first round ..Bama 48.3% ...Rest of college football 17%.

-A few years back, I read an article about these manuals that Saban wrote that are position-specific and body type-specific, and are pretty thick. It lays out a diet and exercise regimen, sleep regimen, etc. There was a daily thought or quote included that the player was encouraged to reflect on. Each player got a manual and were expected to live it. 

I'm guess our head coach is familiar and fully aware of Saban's techniques, since he's apparently doing something right.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/what-makes-saban-so-much-better-at-player-development-than-all-other-coaches/79961067/

^^^^Earlier Surly post on player development at Bama... Great Stuff, Check it Out^^^^

Edited by LTtxfan

19 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Our biggest need is still elite talent. The depth is being built but the difference makers are few. He’s building the roster but we need a lot more. 

On ESPN this morning, Mack Brown just said in the FAKE after-game coach press conference segment:  One of the reasons why both Clemson & Bama are so much better than other CFB teams now is that hey have much larger Staffs and more money. 

Mack said Bama has 107 folks on current Staff.

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

yep. the last posts get it. after watching the CFP its obvious that Bama and Clemson simply have so many more bodies on the OL and DL. still. for like 8 years running. 

i feel like i am taking crazy pills. doesn't texas have like 5 dline on the roster after this year? 

bama defense is what it is supposed to look like too. kept contain. alert dlinemen keeping arms locked out and ready to bat down passes. great at shedding WR blocks. fuck they look good.