Let's Get Real on Texas FB (Likes, Concerns, Trends, Can Improve)

LTtxfan

Drayton was supposed to be our recruiting rain maker.  Ingram was going to come here regardless of Drayton.  We’re not getting Cain or Sanders.  Next years class is loaded with elite RBs with a once in a generation player in Evans.  Let’s see if he can close those recruitments in our favor.  If not, then he really hasn’t brought much in terms of recruiting or RB production here.

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Drayton was supposed to be our recruiting rain maker.  Ingram was going to come here regardless of Drayton.  We’re not getting Cain or Sanders.  Next years class is loaded with elite RBs with a once in a generation player in Evans.  Let’s see if he can close those recruitments in our favor.  If not, then he really hasn’t brought much in terms of recruiting or RB production here.

I agree, but that doesn't have much to do with Texas football in the here and now.

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What are you blaming Drayton for? It's not his fault Charlie fucked up the 2017 season and lost JK Dobbins.

Machinator, What do you think about Drayton so far??

I thought Young or Toneil would be much better this year... Has Not Happened.... Have not seen much from his recruiting yet either.  For Me Drayton has been an Overrated Disappointing Coach....

Love this part of yesterday's  Dunlap's quote: "What exactly has Stan Drayton really done?  He was the most valued hire of all these guys. Their running back rotations have been abysmal.  Texas hasn't got a running game going since he got here."🤘

Where the Hell is Ingram in this 1st qtr vs Baylor??

Repeat Alex Quote after BlowU :  "This is only the 2nd game that Keontay Ingram outsnapped Tre Watson.  And as far as I'm concerned,  That's Malpractice..... that's Bad Coaching.  What exactly has Stan Drayton really done?  He was the most valued hire of all these guys. Their running back rotations have been abysmal.  Texas hasn't got a running game going since he got here. And it took him this many games, to figure out that Keontay Ingram who rushes for over 6yds/carry is better than Tre Watson who rushes for 3.2yds/carry? 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

On 10/11/2018 at 9:48 AM, LTtxfan said:

Need y'alls help..... Read somewhere how poorly Texas has been outscored in the 4th quarter of this year's games.  Please add those stats on this thread..... Thanks

My Likes : Aggressive playcalling in BlowU Game and spreading out touches to all the skill players (CJ, LJH, DD, Beck, Watson, Ingram)

Concerns:  DL, NB & LB play

IT BlowU Game Report:  

We didn't defeat many blocks. We didn't tackle well at all. We missed too many assignments everywhere but the DL. Our pass rush didn't dictate any rapid heart rate. We lost contain too often. We missed filling the correct gaps at the second level. We failed to scrape correctly too often. Worst of all we got blocked and missed tackles at an alarming rate. It is hard to explain why our backend can't get properly aligned and ready to play coverage this far into the season. I will leave it at that. 

We ran fresh out of gas at too many positions. I blame that on the staff. Rotation is not your enemy if conducted with a purpose in mind. When your defenders all look like they are running uphill against the wind it's your job to get fresh bodies into the fight---and realize you should have done that every quarter. Here are the grades:

We didn't play well enough to win on defense this week. The good news is the offense did. We need help in several areas going forward. The DL needs to go back to slashing and creating havoc regardless of the QB. We can't play conservative---it's not our style. We have a nice two deep rotation that probably goes 75-25. 60-40 might be nice number as the bumps and bruises multiply each week.

We just don't have a LB that has instincts to play the position in this league. We have one that can usually swash-buckle his way to the ball and make eye-opening plays at times. Yesterday wasn't his finest hour by a longshot. The other LB is just not developed for a Big 12 success. Except for the nickel position LB is by far the weakest position group on the team. We need to recruit this position very well because the answer must not be on campus right now---otherwise, we would be playing them right now. 

It's head-scratching how we bust so many coverages (three td's yesterday directly) because it's always the same cast of characters back there every game. With two DB coaches one would think they could get covering the wheel route and switch routes rules in place. Maybe a switch in personnel could solve the nagging problem. It's a huge problem that hasn't gone away. It ain't lack of talent. This group needs to apologize this week against them bears. They owe the offense.

Trends: Eventhough TEXAS has improved their offense performances on Late Game Closeout Drives, the Horns are being outscored in the 4th quarter of Games.  Really hope this trend changes.

Can Improve: Punt Blocking, and Punting.  Coaches rotating players more on Defense so fresher in 4th quarter.....

And struggles again vs Baylor on Punt & Punt Blocking as mentioned above.  Naivar needs to get this fixed.  Punter is too slow getting punt off.....

I've never played organized football.  Can someone explain something to me?

Baylor game.  We know we have an advantage running the ball.  However, every single run is straight up the middle.  Not only that, but we keep doing the "hold the ball for an extra second before handing it off" thing.  If a team is going to stack the front, wouldn't it help to ensure that they don't know where we're going every time we run the ball?  I.E. mix it up and run left, right, middle, etc...?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Baylor game.  We know we have an advantage running the ball.  However, every single run is straight up the middle.  Not only that, but we keep doing the "hold the ball for an extra second before handing it off" thing.  If a team is going to stack the front, wouldn't it help to ensure that they don't know where we're going every time we run the ball?  I.E. mix it up and run left, right, middle, etc...?

Lot's of questions about trouble  Texas run game had vs Baylor.

Also Horns blocking on punts has to improve or Okie Lite WILL block a punt on us next game..... Also, Texas punter needs to shorten his time he takes punting the ball.

Edited by LTtxfan

Not a Bobby Burton fan, but solid stuff here for this "Keeping it Real" thread

BB:  A dose of reality on Sunday morning. Texas was not a very good football team yesterday. Yes, the Horns won. But don’t let the final score fool you. This was not a K-State game which Texas controlled for much of the contest. It wasn’t Tulsa, where the Horns drove the ball to end the game. And it certainly wasn’t USC or Oklahoma when the Horns dominated for long periods of time. No, this looked more like the Texas team of a year ago. The Horns were disjointed on offense and could never really put a solid drive together. There was nothing Texas did on offense that looked repeatable with any degree of certainty. The Texas defense was the better unit on Saturday. But even the D gave up chunk plays more frequently than they should. And special teams play was spotty. There was a blocked punt that should have been, a fumbled snap and two missed field goals.

This felt more like 2017 Texas than the Texas of 2018. Perhaps it was primarily about QB play. That’s my thinking this morning. The lack of a QB run game obviously put the Texas O into reset mode. And Sam Ehlinger’s feel for the speed of the game is better than some people appreciate. And at least the Horns emerged victorious with a last-minute defensive stand that Charles Omenihu should be remembered for.

But... When we ask ourselves if Texas is “back”, let’s remember this game. Texas is better than many teams, no doubt. And the trajectory of the squad and its depth finally looks on the right track. But the Horns are not all the way back, not when Texas didn’t have the horses to blow the game open against an improving, yet average Baylor squad.

Edited by LTtxfan

Our biggest weakness was exposed yesterday with Sam going down. Our backup QBs have not been getting enough game reps. We have to get them some practice at full speed if we’re going to be running the QB as much as Herman wants to. Hopefully the coaches realized that yesterday and do a better job of mixing in reps where they can. The problem with that is we haven’t exactly dominated anyone to a point where you feel safe putting a backup in over a healthy Sam. They have to figure this out to win the Big 12. Shane barely did enough to win the game yesterday.

Edit to add: You could even see it on Shane’s face in the postgame interview that he knew we escaped despite his play.

15 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

the problem is we are absolute hot garbage at run blocking, doesn't make a fuck what we run, every run starts with making someone miss to get out of the backfield, luckily Ingram is pretty damn good at this. Our oline is physically weak for the 10th year in a row at least but this is what happens when you continually recruit 260 pound projects at oline. We have one olineman that's just a naturally big ass man and that's Vahe and his effort just flat out sucks 80% of the time. 6-1 with this oline is just amazing.

2 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

the problem is we are absolute hot garbage at run blocking, doesn't make a fuck what we run, every run starts with making someone miss to get out of the backfield, luckily Ingram is pretty damn good at this. Our oline is physically weak for the 10th year in a row at least but this is what happens when you continually recruit 260 pound projects at oline. We have one olineman that's just a naturally big ass man and that's Vahe and his effort just flat out sucks 80% of the time. 6-1 with this oline is just amazing.

Cosmi was a project at O-line and now he's arguably our best guy on the unit. Go watch him maul Sooners in last week's game.

The problem is that our interior O-line sucks. Vahe maxed out a long time ago, and Shack and Rodriguez are just not very talented. We have a line that's better at pass protection than run blocking, but we don't have the passers to consistently take advantage of that.

Shack's performance can basically be judged by how many holding calls he gets during the game, imo. If it's 2+, he's having a lot of trouble with the DTs. I think he's been called for holding in just about every game this season, take from that what you will. Our tackles almost never get called for holding, I think I remember 1 or 2 on Cosmi for the season.

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Hope Sam's shoulder injury is not too severe....🤘

What chance do yah give the HORNS to win at Okie Lite if Shane Starts?  

(Remember, Okie Lite will be coming off a bye week as well....)

50/50. If we gameplan to Shane's style and/or get 1st team reps for Rising we have a pretty good chance of winning. If we play and call the game like we did yesterday, I hate our chances. OSU will be fired up, as most teams are to play Texas. If Sam is ready to go I think it might rise to 60/40 in our favor. 

50/50. If we gameplan to Shane's style and/or get 1st team reps for Rising we have a pretty good chance of winning. If we play and call the game like we did yesterday, I hate our chances. OSU will be fired up, as most teams are to play Texas. If Sam is ready to go I think it might rise to 60/40 in our favor. 

I don’t remember the exact quote but when ehlinger went down and rising became 2cnd string he asked Herman what he’s supposed to do. Maybe I’m blowing it out of proportion and I mean, he was 3rd string, but that’s kind of concerning.

3 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

I don’t remember the exact quote but when ehlinger went down and rising became 2cnd string he asked Herman what he’s supposed to do. Maybe I’m blowing it out of proportion and I mean, he was 3rd string, but that’s kind of concerning.

It absolutely is, see my other post above the one you quoted. The QBs need to be rotated more, at least in practice, so they know what to do if one or two get injured. Shane was not prepared to play yesterday, and we run the QB a lot. That's not a good combination. I have to wonder if the coaches have been a little surprised by our success this year and have been riding Sam because they don't want to fuck this up. I hope that's not the case and it was a mistake they'll fix in coming weeks.

Edited by longhornsftmfw

haven't read through the whole thread, so NSIAP:

can TEXAS stop somebody on the first drive of the game. fucking killing me.

MD - 6 play TD

Tulsa - 13 plays, missed 43 yd fg

USC - 9 play TD

TCU - 8 play, 46 yd fg

ou - 6 play TD

bu - 12 play TD

k-st is the only team that didn't make or attempt points on their first drive. makes me ragey.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Cosmi was a project at O-line and now he's arguably our best guy on the unit. Go watch him maul Sooners in last week's game.

The problem is that our interior O-line sucks. Vahe maxed out a long time ago, and Shack and Rodriguez are just not very talented. We have a line that's better at pass protection than run blocking, but we don't have the passers to consistently take advantage of that.

Cosmi is a good one, will he be left tackle next year?

4 minutes ago, longhornsftmfw said:

It absolutely is, see my other post above the one you quoted. The QBs need to be rotated more, at least in practice, so they know what to do if one or two get injured. Shane was not prepared to play yesterday, and we run the QB a lot. That's not a good combination.

Shane was prepared to play yesterday, he's just not very good, especially in Herman's offense.

4 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

MD - 6 play TD

USC - 9 play TD

TCU - 8 play, 46 yd fg

ou - 6 play TD

bu - 12 play TD

k-st is the only team that didn't make or attempt points on their first drive. makes me ragey.

Orlando always seems to need a drive or two to make adjustments.

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

Shane was prepared to play yesterday, he's just not very good, especially in Herman's offense.

What evidence do you have that he was ready to go in the game? That his first passes were way off the mark and his accuracy improved as the game went on? That he looked like a deer in the headlights coming into the game? Being prepared to play means you come in at your best when the team needs you. That's not what happened yesterday. Shane knew he played poorly in the postgame if you watch the interview. I do think he and Rising should be competing for the start against OSU if Sam is out, though, because I agree he doesn't fit Herman's offense well. 

Just now, longhornsftmfw said:

What evidence do you have that he was ready to go in the game? That his first passes were way off the mark and his accuracy improved as the game went on? That he looked like a deer in the headlights coming into the game? Being prepared to play means you come in at your best when the team needs you. That's not what happened yesterday. Shane knew he played poorly in the postgame if you watch the interview. I do think he and Rising should be competing for the start against OSU if Sam is out, though, because I agree he doesn't fit Herman's offense well. 

Because he played like he always did when he was a starter, just meh. He didn't look like a deer in the headlights, that's ridiculous. How many backup qbs come in and play at their best?

6 minutes ago, longhornsftmfw said:

Most QBs who haven't played a single snap at game speed in months are going to look like that at the beginning. Shane isn't very good, but this particular aspect of his performance couldn't really be helped.

That's why Herman emphasizes physical practices in the offseason. There's nothing that can truly prepare you for when the bullets are firing.

6 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

MD - 6 play TD

USC - 9 play TD

TCU - 8 play, 46 yd fg

ou - 6 play TD

bu - 12 play TD

Concerns:

+1 On HORNS Defense giving up too many first drive scores

Getting whipped in 4th quarters is a recipe for losing....

Punting and punt blocking still a concern.

Trenches have to play better..... Texas should be able to run the ball much better late in the game...

Still need to generate more turnovers.... Create fumbles strip & rip

(If Horns don't continue improving, they Won't stay a Top 10 Team.)

Positives:

This Team has more upside..... Keep Improving

Off Week came at a good time.

Sure is fun seeing them Win the close Games this Season 🤘

2 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Because he played like he always did when he was a starter, just meh. He didn't look like a deer in the headlights, that's ridiculous. How many backup qbs come in and play at their best?

Are you even paying attention to the games? The look on his face was not one of a gamer ready to go. And it seems like Tech backup QBs do much better than ours, for one example.

To distill my point, I don't expect him to come in throwing absolute darts, but be a little more mentally tough and ready to go. That's on both Shane (or any other backup) and the coaches.

57 minutes ago, longhornsftmfw said:

Our biggest weakness was exposed yesterday with Sam going down. Our backup QBs have not been getting enough game reps. We have to get them some practice at full speed if we’re going to be running the QB as much as Herman wants to. Hopefully the coaches realized that yesterday and do a better job of mixing in reps where they can. The problem with that is we haven’t exactly dominated anyone to a point where you feel safe putting a backup in over a healthy Sam. They have to figure this out to win the Big 12. Shane barely did enough to win the game yesterday.

Edit to add: You could even see it on Shane’s face in the postgame interview that he knew we escaped despite his play.

I think it's pretty obvious we've been trying to maintain Shane's redshirt.  And as long as Sam isn't out for an extended period we still should be able to do it.  Of course ideally we get Shane snaps at some point before yesterday, but you know what would have been worse? Shane transferring pre-season to avoid any chance at burning a year of eligibility.

Our O-line struggles at run blocking... so lets run right up the middle on delayed RPO knowing backup QB not going to run.

Our backup QB hasn't seen the field all year so lets help him out by making him throw a bunch of long passes with little chance of completion forcing long 3rd downs so defense can blitz our non-mobile QB...

Our struggles are just as much on play calling as execution.. coaches have to do a better job of putting players in a place to be more successful.

• Like 1

Just now, Skipper said:

I think it's pretty obvious we've been trying to maintain Shane's redshirt.  And as long as Sam isn't out for an extended period we still should be able to do it.  Of course ideally we get Shane snaps at some point before yesterday, but you know what would have been worse? Shane transferring pre-season to avoid any chance at burning a year of eligibility.

I agree with the fact that we're trying to maintain the redshirt, I'm saying that isn't really a viable option for a backup QB in a QB-run heavy offense. It was a decision made in good faith that has bitten us in the ass. If we really wanted to maintain his shirt so he could transfer with two years, name Rising or Thompson the backup and have them ready to go.

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Our O-line struggles at run blocking... so lets run right up the middle on delayed RPO knowing backup QB not going to run.

Our backup QB hasn't seen the field all year so lets help him out by making him throw a bunch of long passes with little chance of completion forcing long 3rd downs so defense can blitz our non-mobile QB...

Our struggles are just as much on play calling as execution.. coaches have to do a better job of putting players in a place to be more successful.

Agreed 100% our coaching staff did a piss poor job of handling play calling with the QB transition.   If Sam can't go @ OSU having 2 weeks to figure out a game plan is pretty huge.   Luckiest we've been with the bye week in a long time.  For Ingram to get healthy as well which is needed regardless of who's at QB.

6 minutes ago, longhornsftmfw said:

I agree with the fact that we're trying to maintain the redshirt, I'm saying that isn't really a viable option for a backup QB in a QB-run heavy offense. It was a decision made in good faith that has bitten us in the ass. If we really wanted to maintain his shirt so he could transfer with two years, name Rising or Thompson the backup and have them ready to go.

We're trying to maintain their Redshirts as well and rightfully so.   I have zero issues with Sam taking all snaps to date prior to the Baylor game giving the very unique set of circumstances this season.  I think you will see both Rising and Thompson play the last 4 games but it would have been stupid to burn someone's 4 game allowance to hand off against USC.   And like you mentioned in your first post, it wasn't like we were up 30 on Tulsa and could get a backup game reps throwing the ball.

Edited by Skipper

On a more positive note, I have been surprised by CJ and Caden Sterns this year, with a little bit of BJ Foster and his blitzing and hitting thrown in. I wasn't expecting those three to have the seasons they're having. CJ has made huge progress in his ability to use his frame to his advantage, and nobody expects as much production out of true freshmen that BJ and Caden have provided.

• Like 1

the primary difference, offensively, from last year is the Quarterback Power running domination and the plays that are installed to benefit from defenses loading up to stop it.

Not Beck not calling the plays during the game; and not how "ready" a Quarterback who doesn't present any threat of running that play may or may not be... we are all in on that offense and the relative preparedness of Shane Buechele is really secondary as without that offense being effective we are indeed last year's team.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

We're trying to maintain their Redshirts as well and rightfully so.   I have zero issues with Sam taking all snaps to date prior to the Baylor game giving the very unique set of circumstances this season.  I think you will see both Rising and Thompson play the last 4 games but it would have been stupid to burn someone's 4 game allowance to hand off against USC.   And like you mentioned in your first post, it wasn't like we were up 30 on Tulsa and could get a backup game reps throwing the ball.

Yeah, I don't think throwing them into games is necessarily the answer, but there is mental preparation that can be done during the week that we're obviously missing. These guys don't expect to have to come into the game at any moment, even though Sam is the backbone of our rushing attack. The "next man up" mentality has not been instilled.

40 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

A true freshman who has never been prepared as the backup QB all season and is now suddenly the number 2 mid game? I wouldnt read too much into it. These guys get about 1% attention once the season starts.

1 minute ago, longhornsftmfw said:

Yeah, I don't think throwing them into games is necessarily the answer, but there is mental preparation that can be done during the week that we're obviously missing. These guys don't expect to have to come into the game at any moment, even though Sam is the backbone of our rushing attack. The "next man up" mentality has not been instilled.

I mean that's pure speculation.  I don't think Shane was any more or less mentally prepared than any other backup in the country.   He's an average QB in an offense not suited to his strengths with play calling that did him no favors.   Not sure what you were expecting.   Other than trying to lean on the run game more Shane looked exactly how I would have expected him to look.   Shane gets plenty of reps during the week, I assure you.  He just isn't a good QB.  At least in this system.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I mean that's pure speculation.  I don't think Shane was any more or less mentally prepared than any other backup in the country.   He's an average QB in an offense not suited to his strengths with play calling that did him no favors.   Not sure what you were expecting.   Other than trying to lean on the run game more Shane looked exactly how I would have expected him to look.   Shane gets plenty of reps during the week, I assure you.  He just isn't a good QB.  At least in this system.

I expect him not to have a look of "oh shit I have to play" on his face when he comes into the game.

Edit: actually thinking back on it, that has always been my complaint about Shane. Sam has more of a "I got this shit" attitude about him that is hard to quantify. Shane is always unsure of himself.

Edited by longhornsftmfw