Let's Get Real on Texas FB (Likes, Concerns, Trends, Can Improve)

LTtxfan

23 minutes ago, longhornsftmfw said:

On a more positive note, I have been surprised by CJ and Caden Sterns this year, with a little bit of BJ Foster and his blitzing and hitting thrown in. I wasn't expecting those three to have the seasons they're having. CJ has made huge progress in his ability to use his frame to his advantage, and nobody expects as much production out of true freshmen that BJ and Caden have provided.

+1000

In third and 5 when the motion put LJH into the wildcat the first thing I thought was they were going to run the jump pass to Beck that scored against OU last week. I was sorely disappointed with the play that was ran. I guess a surprise in that situation was too much to ask for. 

Watching Rhule's press conference learned a few things....

1) Baylor took a delay of game penalty on punt team because they were gonna Fake the punt.... but TEXAS was in a Defense that would not allow them to fake the punt.....

2) Lots of emphasis on their Defense was to stop run, slow down screens, and not give up explosive plays.... make Texas grind out drives especially when Sam got hurt.

3) Mims being out last drive was huge break for Texas.....

4) By limiting their penalties in 2nd half really gave Baylor the shot to Win 4th quarter....

Rhule was disappointed they couldn't get to QB and create sacks.....

He stresses "We are in control of whether we Win or Lose".

Probably will get neg for this, but Coach Rhule is a good guy.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Our O-line struggles at run blocking... so lets run right up the middle on delayed RPO knowing backup QB not going to run.

Our backup QB hasn't seen the field all year so lets help him out by making him throw a bunch of long passes with little chance of completion forcing long 3rd downs so defense can blitz our non-mobile QB...

Our struggles are just as much on play calling as execution.. coaches have to do a better job of putting players in a place to be more successful.

Was curious playcalling at times once Shane came in..... Still frustrated that the TEXAS Oline was not able to run block better vs baylor

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Watching Rhule's press conference learned a few things....

1) Baylor took a delay of game penalty on punt team because they were gonna Fake the punt.... but TEXAS was in a Defense that would not allow them to fake the punt.....

2) Lots of emphasis on their Defense was to stop run, slow down screens, and not give up explosive plays.... make Texas grind out drives especially when Sam got hurt.

3) Mims being out last drive was huge break for Texas.....

4) By limiting their penalties in 2nd half really gave Baylor the shot to Win 4th quarter....

Rhule was disappointed they couldn't get to QB and create sacks.....

He stresses "We are in control of whether we Win or Lose".

Yeah, to get us out of the backup QB weeds, I think winning that game yesterday was huge for this team going forward. In years past, we would have turtled and lost by two TDs after Sam went down. This is one of those games the coaches can go back to and say "this is why we need to continue to work hard and be ready for anything". Keeping 18-22 year old men focused on the goals and not the recent accomplishments is one of the differences between perennial powerhouses and flashes in the pan.

Edited by longhornsftmfw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Orlando always seems to need a drive or two to make adjustments.

At least he makes them. The offensive staff seems to think in-game adjustments are illegal.

I find it hard to believe we have no quick hitting dive plays that we can use instead of ZR with a QB who is not running.

• Like 3

Just now, Tired of Lurking said:

If our QB's can't take snaps from under center, I really wish we could implement some pistol. Our running plays are ridiculously uncreative and completely identical. It's unfair to Watson and Ingram who have to run straight into a pile every time.

We also lost the motion-to-empty set of plays that we had been going to all year in big situations when Sam went down yesterday. I don't remember seeing it during the game, and that set is pretty obvious. Correct me if I'm wrong.

More "Keeping It Real"

Kudos for Great Post by victory88 (below)

Few random morning talking points.  

This is fucking awesome!  Fucking football is fun again.  Don't remember the last time I watched other teams hoping they win/lose to help our ranking... it just makes college football that much more fun.   

The coaches have quite a few points to hammer to this team.  Put this graphic on the locker room screens.  Let this team know that when they play hard for 4 quarters, they put themselves in a position to win.  This team is not going to blow opponents out.  We're not there yet.  But if we fight hard for 4 quarters and execute, we have a chance to win.  I highly doubt there is anyone on this team at this point that isn't bought in.  Results will squash any negativity/doubt.  There were quite a few players last year that didn't see eye to eye with Herman and were never fully bought it.  The record showed that.  It's different this year.  Everyone is bought in.  It's also laying a blueprint for the freshman to follow.

The other point to hammer to this team is that we cannot afford to play our B game the rest of the way out.  Have to bring our A game to give us a chance to win.  This is not a team that can get over confident.  Every game is going to be a dog fight till the last drive.  The positive aspect is this team has experience now on offense and defense on how to finish games on the last drive. 

Bring on osu.  They are a team that is struggling big time looking for a signature win to help right their season.  It will be a hostile environment at Stillwater.  The crowd always shows up against Texas.  We're going to have to grind this game out.  They will play better than their film shows.  I'm excited... HOOK EM!

Without Sam, our running game is marginal at best.  Having Sam as a duel threat drastically improves the running game. We are fucked if Shane starts the next couple of games. We’ll need more than 20 points to beat the next three opponents 

Edited by EuroHorn

6 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Without Sam, our running game is marginal at best.  Having Sam as a duel threat drastically improves the running game. We are fucked if Shane starts the next couple of games. We’ll need more than 20 points to beat the next three opponents 

Yeah, if Sam is out for a few games, we need to find a way to run the ball outside the zone read.  That is a useless play with Shane as the qb. 

Edited by JOSEYWALES66
  • Like 1

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

OSU is a great game to build confidence in our run game. We should be able to run at will on them. They are struggling mightily this year up front.

Knock on some wood, we were hearing that all week about Baylor but we didn't really take advantage of it. Keontay got his 100 yards, but we never just took over the game on the ground.

Are you even paying attention to the games? The look on his face was not one of a gamer ready to go. And it seems like Tech backup QBs do much better than ours, for one example.

To distill my point, I don't expect him to come in throwing absolute darts, but be a little more mentally tough and ready to go. That's on both Shane (or any other backup) and the coaches.

Tech’s backup QB’s look better because they are better than Shane and they all run the exact same system and have since high school. Shane and Sam are completely different animals and suited to different offenses.

The last thing Shane should be running is a power option type scheme. He is rusty and hasn’t had reps because we haven’t had the luxury of some big blowouts to our him in. The best thing Shane did yesterday was not take a ton of sacks like he usually does. He did turn the ball over though which is a killer to this team since we don’t have an explosive offense.

2 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Tech’s backup QB’s look better because they are better than Shane and they all run the exact same system and have since high school. Shane and Sam are completely different animals and suited to different offenses.

The last thing Shane should be running is a power option type scheme. He is rusty and hasn’t had reps because we haven’t had the luxury of some big blowouts to our him in. The best thing Shane did yesterday was not take a ton of sacks like he usually does. He did turn the ball over though which is a killer to this team since we don’t have an explosive offense.

Well stated and is part of my point on the Tech thing. They know what they're looking for in a QB and stick to it, plus they have them comfortable in their system in case one goes down. Texas has a backup QB in Shane that Herman didn't recruit and doesn't fit the system, plus he hasn't had an opportunity to play due to close games. That coupled with running Sam so much puts you in a Mack Brown 2009 MNC situation, where you have no offense designed for the backup and he hasn't gotten enough reps. I'm ok with running the QB and Herman's base scheme, we just need to improve our QB preparedness in the case of injury. It's certainly a hard problem at a transition point for a program, trying to balance redshirts and future development with production today. Hopefully with our QB recruiting going the way it is, this won't be such a problem in the future.

Locke, Wheeler have to go. End of story. They make the occasional play but most of the struggles on D start and end with these two.

Wheeler is a known commodity as this low level of play has been occurring for years now. As soon as the offense begins to move, he is lost.

Locke, I suspect, is not entirely to blame.

Scheme seems to be asking him to do things he isn't capable of handling.

Another item, the D is getting tired late in the games. Either they need more rotation or they are not in shape.

Edited by pacman

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Locke, Wheeler have to go. End of story. They make the occasional play but most of the struggles on D start and end with these two.

Wheeler is a known commodity as this low level of play has been occurring for years now. As soon as the offense begins to move, he is lost.

Locke, I suspect, is not entirely to blame.

Scheme seems to be asking him to do things he isn't capable of handling.

Another item, the D is getting tired late in the games. Either they need more rotation or they are not in shape.

Your comments match a lot of IT's comments.  

Evidently the NB position in TO's Defense requires a lot to play. Wish someone besides PJ could take over because Baylor & BlowU were isolating both PJ & Wheeler often and abusing them.....somebody probably needed to call 911 Saturday.

Shark needs to take more of Wheeler's reps...... wonder how healthy Dele is as well to help out.

On certain routes that Baylor ran with Mims crossing and Foster had underneath coverage responsibility, BJ was constantly out of position which allowed easy completions for Brewer.  Good news is, BJ will get better at this coverage with more reps and did a great job yesterday on both run support and blitzing the QB.  

Hope they can start rotating players at both LB and possibly Safety more during the 2nd Half of Season.....

Edited by LTtxfan

6 hours ago, 6th Street said:

We have 17 4th quarter points through 7 games. Incredible

1) Why has this Team struggled in 4th quarters (besides several game ending Victory formations)??

2) When will Hand finally start rotating some OL? 

Seems Vahe had to be replaced in 4th qtr yesterday because of fatigue... Also read that Brandon Jones was worn down late in the game as well.

Edited by LTtxfan

6 hours ago, tejas60 said:

haven't read through the whole thread, so NSIAP:

can TEXAS stop somebody on the first drive of the game. fucking killing me.

MD - 6 play TD

Tulsa - 13 plays, missed 43 yd fg

USC - 9 play TD

TCU - 8 play, 46 yd fg

ou - 6 play TD

bu - 12 play TD

k-st is the only team that didn't make or attempt points on their first drive. makes me ragey.

Watching Baylor Game Replay....

Graphic just showed that TEXAS missed 9 tackles on Baylor's opening drive.

DAMN....

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

29 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

1) Why has this Team struggled in 4th quarters (besides several game ending Victory formations)??

2) When will Hand finally start rotating some OL? 

Seems Vahe had to be replaced in 4th qtr yesterday because of fatigue... Also read that Brandon Jones was worn down late in the game as well.

The play calling has been extremely conservative in the 4th when we have the lead.  Way too conservative 

• Like 1

So. We have 5, possibly six games left in the season until the bowl break.  I’m interested to see if Tom has a plan for the true freshmen and their 4 redshirt games. 

During a long season these players can now be seen as reinforcements.  They have been part of practice for 11 weeks now.  I’ve seen a lot of speculation that you play them the last 3 games + bowl or last 4  

who do you think will see real playing time going forward as depth or a weapon  

we are clearly banged up as normal during a long season, the rule change could really come into play for those coaches who maximize their rosters  

who ya got?

39 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

So. We have 5, possibly six games left in the season until the bowl break.  I’m interested to see if Tom has a plan for the true freshmen and their 4 redshirt games. 

During a long season these players can now be seen as reinforcements.  They have been part of practice for 11 weeks now.  I’ve seen a lot of speculation that you play them the last 3 games + bowl or last 4  

who do you think will see real playing time going forward as depth or a weapon  

we are clearly banged up as normal during a long season, the rule change could really come into play for those coaches who maximize their rosters  

who ya got?

Would love some help for Oline because we haven't run for SHIT in the 4th quarter of games....

Dele & Overshown might help out for depth.  Might see a young gun pass rusher like Carson maybe help against the air-raid teams. Cook at CB may see a few reps pretty soon.

Would be nice to put Ojomo & Coburn (DL) in for a few reps too.

Edited by LTtxfan

Few comments on some of the above:

22 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure why you would get neg for this. He is a good guy. Which means he isn't long for Baylor. Unlike Teaff and CAB, he's not a local guy so the first good opportunity he gets, he gone. Only reason he ended up at Rape U was they could pay more than Temple. Remember he flirted with the Colts last year. 

21 hours ago, longhornsftmfw said:

Well stated and is part of my point on the Tech thing. They know what they're looking for in a QB and stick to it, plus they have them comfortable in their system in case one goes down. 

How would you explain Jett Duffey then. He is not the prototypical Tech QB and it was quite apparent in the TCU game that they couldn't do the same things they would do with Alan Bowman at QB (just ask a Tech fan).  In fact, Coach Bro started McLane Carter in the 2nd half but quickly reverted because that wasn't working either. Tech won that game because TCU couldn't hold onto the ball at critical junctures. 

It is hard to draw many concrete conclusions from the Baylor game due to Sam's injury. Defensively, we played reasonably well holding them to 17 points, though we had our moments. I do think the Buchele interception gave Baylor life because we were handling them pretty well up to that point. Giving up the TD was bad sudden change defense on our part and that needs to improve. We still can't generate pass rush from just 5 consistently. On the flip side, Baylor only had 2 first half drives of any consistency and the first drive was aided by 9 missed tackles, which screams hangover from the OU game. Special teams was a mixed bag, though it was on Dicker the kicker this time whose 34 yard miss was the big issue. Have to be consistent from 40 in (i.e 95+%) and we aren't there yet. Hitting that one makes the last defensive stand moot. However, it was Buj's best effort of the year and delivered a big punt to push Baylor back inside the 5 to start their last drive, which turned out to be critical. 

Going forward, if we have to have Shane in place for OSU, strategy changes have to ensue. I liked the WR screen game when Baylor tried to stuff the box in the 4th quarter and we should have worked that more on the final drive and that suits Shane's game better. We also have to drive the ball down the field more. Shane is capable of that, but it was clear his accuracy was off due to lack of reps and it repeatedly stunted drives and caused the one turnover (and almost another). In 2015, we were able to run out of standard sets because of the ability to hit shots down the field. Shane has to be able to make those plays otherwise we will see stacked boxes without a QB run threat. Screen game to the backs needs to be part of it as well. We did have a nice screen set up to Ingram, but the ball was late and off target which allowed the Baylor defender to clean up on the play. I agree on the need to have gotten more reps for Shane before, but we haven't really had any games that have been a laugher in the 4th quarter yet and in addition, I wonder how much the new redshirting rules are affecting these types of decisions. Nevertheless, during this week we need to have Shane getting lots of first team reps even if Sam heals up enough to start the OSU game. Bye week turned out to be timely this year. 

Edited by PencilPusher
spelling

Few comments on some of the above:
How would you explain Jett Duffey then. He is not the prototypical Tech QB and it was quite apparent in the TCU game that they couldn't do the same things they would do with Alan Bowman at QB (just ask a Tech fan).  In fact, Coach Bro started McLane Carter in the 2nd half but quickly reverted because that wasn't working either. Tech won that game because TCU couldn't hold onto the ball at critical junctures. 

I haven’t watched any Tech this year outside of about 5 minutes of the OSU game, I was speaking in general, historical terms. They have managed their QB room fairly well over the years.

22 hours ago, longhornsftmfw said:

We also lost the motion-to-empty set of plays that we had been going to all year in big situations when Sam went down yesterday. I don't remember seeing it during the game, and that set is pretty obvious. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Can't go empty with Shane because he's not the threat to run that Sam is. Empty gives away the numbers advantage in the box unless the QB is a legit threat to break at least one tackle. Shane can run (relatively) okay compared to plenty of other QBs, don't get me wrong. But he's not going to be breaking any tackles, so when he runs, it has to be schemed completely different from when Sam runs.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:55 AM, LTtxfan said:

Machinator, What do you think about Drayton so far??

I thought Young or Toneil would be much better this year... Has Not Happened.... Have not seen much from his recruiting yet either.  For Me Drayton has been an Overrated Disappointing Coach....

Love this part of yesterday's  Dunlap's quote: "What exactly has Stan Drayton really done?  He was the most valued hire of all these guys. Their running back rotations have been abysmal.  Texas hasn't got a running game going since he got here."🤘

Bump..... never saw Machinator's answer.... Interested in his thoughts and anyone else on Coach Drayton who for me has been disappointing..... (Be sure to read Dunlap's quote in comment above)

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Surprised opposing defenses don't just target Davante Davis or PJ Locke downfield repeatedly. They are easily fooled and don't have the ability to break up passes. 

On the last series when Baylor got down to about our 20, Brewer came over to the sidelines and I'm pretty sure I read Rhule's lips telling him "Go to Hurd".  Rhule knew what was up.

16 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Surprised opposing defenses don't just target Davante Davis or PJ Locke downfield repeatedly. They are easily fooled and don't have the ability to break up passes. 

I'd be really surprised if opposing defenses targeted our DBs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

On the last series when Baylor got down to about our 20, Brewer came over to the sidelines and I'm pretty sure I read Rhule's lips telling him "Go to Hurd".  Rhule knew what was up.

Interesting. Hurd had space on that last play too. Locke was way out of position for the pass breakup. Thank goodness for that monster effort from Omenihu that caused the pass to sail on Brewer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Can't go empty with Shane because he's not the threat to run that Sam is. Empty gives away the numbers advantage in the box unless the QB is a legit threat to break at least one tackle. Shane can run (relatively) okay compared to plenty of other QBs, don't get me wrong. But he's not going to be breaking any tackles, so when he runs, it has to be schemed completely different from when Sam runs.

Unless it's the bone, you don't want your QB breaking too many tackles...  

For some real talk... I think with the additional coaching position, having a dedicated special teams coordinator that is on par with the offensive and defensive coordinators needs to be made. I know this last year Herman wanted to have continuity for his staff from one year to the next. I get it. However, having a dedicated coach for that phase of the game will make it so naivar can focus on the talent we have in the secondary and getting them even better than they are. Moreover and to the point of an actual special teams coordinator, they will be responsible for coaching up the specialists and ensuring our shit looks and works right. The importance of how this can effect the outcome of a game can't be overstated. See: Dickson, Michael.

On 10/14/2018 at 11:38 AM, longhornsftmfw said:

In years past, we would have turtled and lost by two TDs after Sam went down.

There's a lot of truth in this.  

I would say in the past we would have found a way to lose a close game like this whether Sam went down or not.  

Team really seems to have a different mindset.  

- playcalling with shane was awful

- our run plays are the slowest developing piece of shit plays ever. Our qb sticks the ball out before he even has it under control from the center

- Locke and Davis are complete liabilities in coverage, especially on deep passes

- still need to cleanup the goddamn penalties

- punt blocking and down field coverage on returned kickoffs still make me sweat

- first drives against the defense always net points

• Like 2

Texas makes a point of missing great QB’s every year - Mayfield, Brewer.  Those aren’t Herman’s misses of course, but it seems to be a history at Texas.  Colt was the man, as was VY, but neither really had the talent to make a splash at the next level (which means nothing to the Horns, ((but is a bit fucking curious)), and certainly an indicator of great talent).  I have a hard time believing if Texas had wanted Mahomes, they could have had him.  All spilled milk, but beyond the Colt and Vince, I can’t think of one quarterback I would want back other than Opie - kid was a winner first and a player second - 

On 10/14/2018 at 5:22 PM, Hook1997 said:

The play calling has been extremely conservative in the 4th when we have the lead.  Way too conservative 

It is a combination of starting drives inside our 20 and having a lead and wanting to run clock. Our offensive play calling is horrible inside our 20. We throw out most of our playbook because we don't want to make a mistake down there. I believe we started inside our 20 4 times in the 2nd half against Baylor. I actually liked the 1st down deep ball that got picked when we were at our own 15 in the 2nd half. We finally tried something. It ended up being the same as our typical 3 and out and a 40 yard punt, but at least we took a shot. I don't throw it to Duvernay though. The pick was all his fault. He isn't very good at running that route, or making plays on the ball like CJ and LJH. Those guys would not have let that ball been intercepted.

Our punting does not help as far as our field position goes either. 

4 hours ago, po elvis said:

It is a combination of starting drives inside our 20 and having a lead and wanting to run clock. Our offensive play calling is horrible inside our 20. We throw out most of our playbook because we don't want to make a mistake down there. I believe we started inside our 20 4 times in the 2nd half against Baylor. I actually liked the 1st down deep ball that got picked when we were at our own 15 in the 2nd half. We finally tried something. It ended up being the same as our typical 3 and out and a 40 yard punt, but at least we took a shot. I don't throw it to Duvernay though. The pick was all his fault. He isn't very good at running that route, or making plays on the ball like CJ and LJH. Those guys would not have let that ball been intercepted.

Our punting does not help as far as our field position goes either. 

Agreed