2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The defender literally set up under the basket to take that charge.  Absolutely atrocious call, but par for the course in Allen Fieldhouse. Where you can run down half a court without a dribble for the win. 

Whenever I see that clip, I wait for him to tuck the ball under his arm and stiff arm someone.

• Like 1

Only against Ku dies one blown call in the first half make the difference in a 20 point blowout where walk ons were playing for 2+ minutes.  It also just so happens that KU was already up 9.  Further, culver actually played slighty more than his season average of 31 minutes per game. He also shot the ball 4 times more than he averages.  His inefficient offense was more to blame than the foul call.

i learned 2 years ago not to comment on those posts but given the NCAA’s decisions I’m all in. Fuck the NCAA and fuck the big 12. Give us every favorable call and let’s extend the streak. I want 30 FTs to KSU’s 4 on Tuesday night. Hopefully every call goes in our favor the rest of the season and at the end of February we are holding up a 15th trophy and the rest of the league is bitching like they always do because the world is so cruel to them. Fuck em all. 

Edited by Jhawk

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Guess it's time to put Jhawk on mute.

Look at Culver’s stat line. Did a fouls make him have a bad game or did his own shitty play and good KU defense do the trick. We all knew tech was atrocious on offense and KU had something to prove. A charge call 8 minutes into the first half does not make or break a game. 

Edited by Jhawk

Paige is the textbook definition.

I assume the rest of the league hated Scott Christopherson too.  Lord knows I would have if he played for anyone else.

Wait. So other fan bases hated Paige? How can you hate a guy who looked like a hobbit? A thorn in your side sure. But he was no Marcus Smart on the hatred scale.

2 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Wait. So other fan bases hated Paige? How can you hate a guy who looked like a hobbit? A thorn in your side sure. But he was no Marcus Smart on the hatred scale.

Marcus Smart never hit a heartbreaking game winning shot against us.  Plus, we trolled him pretty epically.

21 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

A totally reasonable stance.  Mine is as much tied to the extent said player was a thorn to my squad.

I would have to hate too many people under that system.  Everyone who has played basketball at ISU for the past 10+ years for starters.  I

37 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I would have to hate too many people under that system.  Everyone who has played basketball at ISU for the past 10+ years for starters.  I

So you're saying this isn't a good place to post Naz Long highlights?

We've definitely handed you guys some heart breakers in the past 5 years or so, but remember, when we won that triple OT game in GIA, it was our first win there in 25 years.  This series is a pretty good example of why Big 8 basketball kicked ass.  Lots of wild, heartbreaking finishes for both sides over the years.  Personally, I hope you guys can find your footing again.  No offense to fans of the Texas schools, but Big 12 basketball is at it's best when the remaining Big 8 schools are relevant.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

8ziD.gif

It was a widespread rumor in Ames that he was plugging Stacy Eustachy.

Brady Heslip and Aaron Bruce definitely are on the Baylor list for me.

I had dinner with Heslip while he was here and yeah he's a dick. I mean he earned it, but a dick. One that hits the daily double is Luke Axtell playing at both KU and UT.

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

So you're saying this isn't a good place to post Naz Long highlights?

We've definitely handed you guys some heart breakers in the past 5 years or so, but remember, when we won that triple OT game in GIA, it was our first win there in 25 years.  This series is a pretty good example of why Big 8 basketball kicked ass.  Lots of wild, heartbreaking finishes for both sides over the years.  Personally, I hope you guys can find your footing again.  No offense to fans of the Texas schools, but Big 12 basketball is at it's best when the remaining Big 8 schools are relevant.

Big 8 ball was always awesome to watch.  I went back and checked how we scheduled back then.  Home and away just like we do now but with 14 games.  League play didn't start until 1/20 in the final season of the big 8.  That's crazy to me.

8 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Big 8 ball was always awesome to watch.  I went back and checked how we scheduled back then.  Home and away just like we do now but with 14 games.  League play didn't start until 1/20 in the final season of the big 8.  That's crazy to me.

That's pretty wild.  Earlier this season I had the distinct feeling that we weren't playing as many non-con cream puffs as we used to, while being annoyed with the early start to conference play.

The final Big 8 season was the first season where I really followed every game and lived and died with the Clones.  I was 10, IIRC.

I remember watching the final Big 8 tournament title game in my living room, getting 3 channels with a set of rabbit ears.  It was a Sunday, and my mom was at work.  My brother (who was 9) was rooting for KU (since he was an Iowa fan and wanted to see me crushed).  My old man, who never gave much of a shit about sports but is an ISU alum as well, sent him to his room for cheering for Kansas.  Getting that win over Raef LaFrentz (whose HS was in our district) was awesome.  Easily a Top 5 sports memory.  Really, it was the first time I ever felt that rush.  

• Like 1

LOL at your brother getting sent to his room.  That is something I would absolutely expect out of a dad in the mid-90's when his son is actively rooting against his team.  I was also 10-11 years old that year and that was the first year that I was really into basketball other than the tournament.  I remember my mom bought a ton of big 8 posters thinking they'd be worth something down the road because it was the last year of the league.  Like what typically happens, those posters were thrown away when we moved 9 years later.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Uggg

One of the better college players I've ever seen.  The aggressiveness he had was something you don't see from nearly anyone anymore.  Also was one of the most disappointing NBA players to ever play.  Which means he got paid.  $84M career earnings.

8 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

One of the better college players I've ever seen.  The aggressiveness he had was something you don't see from nearly anyone anymore.  Also was one of the most disappointing NBA players to ever play.  Which means he got paid.  $84M career earnings.

He maintains a place a town over from me, which is the largest town in the northeast corner of the state (but still pretty small).  I see him out and about 2-3x per year.  He's just completely fucking impossible to miss in Decorah, Iowa.

On 2/3/2019 at 11:23 AM, Jhawk said:

Look at Culver’s stat line. Did a fouls make him have a bad game or did his own shitty play and good KU defense do the trick. We all knew tech was atrocious on offense and KU had something to prove. A charge call 8 minutes into the first half does not make or break a game. 

Agreed. We got beat up, I don't see what the big deal is.

Your take on the de Sousa situation is as blindly partisan as they come.

You're ok but the other jayhawk poster here is a fucking retarded meathead troll.

Going to try not posting reverse jinxes in the thread tonight.  We're favored in Norman by 2.5.  If I was a neutral observer, I'd take ISU to cover.  But this feels like the spot where we typically shit a chance to keep pace in the league down our leg.  OU 75 ISU 74. 

Tech is going to fist fuck WVU.  That's an easy cover.  Tech's offensive issues notwithstanding, WVU just has absolutely zero guard play/ability to handle pressure even in half court sets.  Tech will eat them for breakfast.

22 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Agreed. We got beat up, I don't see what the big deal is.

Your take on the de Sousa situation is as blindly partisan as they come.

You're ok but the other jayhawk poster here is a fucking retarded meathead troll.

Haha.. My view on De Sousa is absolutely as partisan as it comes.  The fact is the kid has been jerked around for a year and got hammered by the NCAA and KU is next to get hammered.  My view is more of an indictment on the system than it is in place.  The guardian took advantage of the situation and the kid got popped.  Those are the rules and the only reason KU hasn't gotten popped yet is because the FBI fucked up the evidence and so they had to list KU as a victim instead of our coaches being a part of the defendant group.  Fuck yeah it is partisan.

KU is in a couple of unique positions with unique paths to go down:

Position 1) KU is having a pretty shit season relative to how successful we have been.  This is the worst KU team since 2008-09 and we're damn lucky the league is so down or we'd be out of the running altogether for the conference crown.  We have no leadership on the court, we can't shoot consistently, our 3 point defense (the shot that takes us out of every NCAA tourney) is atrocious, and we can't win on the road.  This team needs something to coalesce around and the fans need something too.  So fuck the NCAA.  They're perfect to bring this team together.

Position 2) KU had to admit that Gassanola was a booster.  An Adidas bag man/employee is a booster of KU.  He isn't, he is a fucking bag man.  Now that this has been admitted because the NCAA implied they'd go easy on SDS that is on the record.  So we are going to get smoked when they decide to do enforcement and penalty proceedings this summer on all things FBI investigation.  We're going to get smoked because of it.  I'm not sure if the NCAA can force you to fire a coach but in the worst case scenario we could lose a coach that could be top 10 all time.  That is a shitty spot to be in because it would come with scholarship loss, vacated wins, and suspensions from postseason play.  On top of this, we aren't going to recruit for shit this year because of the looming cloud.

The reason I'm partisan about it is because KU is definitely not the only school in this game.  Missouri Valley players were getting paid $5k.  If a wihcita state player is taking money then everyone is fucking dirty.  However, KU is the biggest scalp that the NCAA can take and they will.  If we lose HCBS because of it I hope he puts out a list of every player he recruited that got paid so the entire NCAA is burnt to the ground.

I'm salty as shit about it because we're going to get drilled, we might as well become supreme assholes until that day.  Any KU fan that doesn't see that is delusional.  We'd be smart to lawyer up and go after the NCAA just like UNC did.  That is the only way we have a chance.

I'll make a separate post on the NCAA issues because I don't want one post to be full derka and too long.

The truth is that the NCAA is the only entity that can stop the payments to players.  The only way they can stop it is by changing themselves.  Punishing players, coaches, or schools won't stop anything. Give KU the death penalty and UK is going to keep paying kids because as long as they don't get caught they are going to have great talent.  Coaches are still going to comply because getting good players makes you look like a good coach.  So coaches will continue to have a future.  Players that are getting big bucks don't care.  Allegedly Zion got $100k and his parents live in a $800k house in durham.  Is he worried about his eligibility?  Hell no.  His worst case scenario is he got paid and gets to train for a year until the draft and still goes #1.  He was #1 before he set foot on campus.  The only deterrent is post season bans for schools.  Take 4 scholarships a year, who cares?  Rotations are 9 deep at the most on a 15 scholarship team.  If you put two of the top 5 recruits on the same team, lotto picks, then you don't need the other 4 players that you would have had.

So the NCAA can't do anything to stop it.  The bigger issue is the NCAA had a committee come out and say "we aren't the problem, everyone else is" this summer.  So nothing is going to change. The idea that we can pay players is absurd.  The money isn't there in athletic departments alone without killing title 9.  That isn't going to happen.  So until the NCAA lets players market themselves we'll never have a resolution.  Let them get market value from outside sources, just don't let the money come from schools.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Going to try not posting reverse jinxes in the thread tonight.  We're favored in Norman by 2.5.  If I was a neutral observer, I'd take ISU to cover.  But this feels like the spot where we typically shit a chance to keep pace in the league down our leg.  OU 75 ISU 74. 

Tech is going to fist fuck WVU.  That's an easy cover.  Tech's offensive issues notwithstanding, WVU just has absolutely zero guard play/ability to handle pressure even in half court sets.  Tech will eat them for breakfast.

I don't agree with you about what will happen in this game tonight. I hope I am wrong.