2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

18 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Kansas is dead if Vick is out for a long stretch. Kansas already has issues in terms of shooting and Vick is their best shooter. 

Honestly, Kansas is lucky Vick returned after Self pretty much ran him out of the program. Vick carried them during non-conference at times. They would have lost 3 or 4 more games in non-conference without Vick. 

He's always played pretty well against us.  If we meet in KC, and Vick is out, I'll be pretty confident about that game.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Kansas is dead if Vick is out for a long stretch. Kansas already has issues in terms of shooting and Vick is their best shooter. 

Honestly, Kansas is lucky Vick returned after Self pretty much ran him out of the program. Vick carried them during non-conference at times. They would have lost 3 or 4 more games in non-conference without Vick. 

This is true, but Vick has something going on upstairs.  It might not be his own doing either.  Word is that he has some major family drama back home in Memphis.  Self demands mental toughness and Vick just can't keep himself together about half of the season.  That's why he was run off last year, only to come back after he agreed to a certain set of rules imposed by Self.  I don't want to pretend to know what the hell is going on, but it is apparent that something finally needed to be done with Vick (either by self or on his own) and this is the conclusion that has come.  I HIGHLY doubt he ever suits up again.

That being said, KU now has 9 scholarship players.  Maybe Teahan can recreate his older brother's shooting prowess and see 8 minutes a game as a walk on.  We're out of the running for the league at this point.  Suck to go a year without any sports to really have hope in.

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is true, but Vick has something going on upstairs.  It might not be his own doing either.  Word is that he has some major family drama back home in Memphis.  Self demands mental toughness and Vick just can't keep himself together about half of the season.  That's why he was run off last year, only to come back after he agreed to a certain set of rules imposed by Self.  I don't want to pretend to know what the hell is going on, but it is apparent that something finally needed to be done with Vick (either by self or on his own) and this is the conclusion that has come.  I HIGHLY doubt he ever suits up again.

That being said, KU now has 9 scholarship players (8 with garrett out).  Maybe Teahan can recreate his older brother's shooting prowess and see 8 minutes a game as a walk on.  We're out of the running for the league at this point unless he was a major cancer to the team and we pick it up without him. If he wasn't the problem, we will have this same team next year which might not be good.

Suck to go a year without any sports to really have hope in.

Edited by Jhawk

26 minutes ago, Underdog said:

How has the national media not been all over Self/KU for their continued drama the last few years?  

The same way the national media hasn't been all over Calipari, Roy, and K for the last several decades.  The same way the media wasn't all over McGuire and Sosa.  The MLB, players, and media all knew just like the NCAA, media, and coaches all knew what was happening.  If you pay attention to recruiting in college at all then you know that there have always been rumblings of players getting paid.  But the cheating is so rampant that the only penalty that could be assessed is LOIC for the NCAA, not the schools.  The media knows exactly what is going on and they feign outrage every once in a while when a "journalist" has a bone to pick with someone but the media companies don't want to cut off their nose to spite their face.  KU appears on Big Monday upwards of 8-10 times a season.  The do this because they are a great draw for monday viewership.  You think ESPN wants to kill their audience by putting South carolina v. Vanderbilt on monday night?

It is all a huge money game, which makes the outrage even more laughable.  Phog.net is hilarious right now with some posters even going as far to say that this is on self and he should be canned.  They are upset because we are caught with cookie crumbs in our bed and the cookie jar is empty.  But this is a huge nothingburger when it comes to the sport in general.  That doesn't mean it isn't a huge deal, it is.  But $2500 to a kid's guardian is nothing.  The asking price for Zion was 100k.  Ayton was 100k.  Bowen was somehow 200k, and Anthony Davis was rumored to receive 200k from UK.  Don't forget about WWW either.  The media made noise about him and UK and the NCAA quietly swept him under the rug.

Try not to bring faux outrage to anywhere but the politics board, especially as a fan of a school that is notorious for shit like this with a coach who has had some of his most successful season vacated.

Come on, dude. KU appears on Big Monday exactly 4 times a season, the contractual maximum. If you want to make the argument that 3 of those are always on the road, because it makes for good TV, that’s fine. But we’re not playing half our conference games on a 1 day turn.

You’re mostly right otherwise. A dirty sport doesn’t want the house of cards to crash. It unlines the pockets of too many powerful people.

I’m not exclusively talking about recruiting with KU but about all the player hold outs, run ins with the law, nary a word spoken about it on a national level.  Shit, the Fordes,Thamels of the world would turn in their own mother if they could bring down Calipari, K is Johnny Wooden v 2.0 so he’s untouchable.  Self’s a damn good coach, not questioning that.  

There was plenty written about Calipari pre-UKY, when he was repeatedly busted. There was at least one major national column calling out Self after the asst coach wiretaps were published. The writers can't really "bring them down" though. Even this FBI thing hasn't collected any scalps yet. As long as those dudes have their jobs - and keep winning - most of the day-to-day coverage will be flattering. Again, most of them are good quotes who treat the media pretty well so that helps. 

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The Pokes don't have the depth to finish this, but these guys are giving 100%.  Boynton hasn't lost this team at all.

KU only has 8 healthy scholarship guys playing but if you’re talking about talent disparity in that comment as well as depth then you’re right. 

On 2/8/2019 at 11:24 AM, VolenteHawk said:

Come on, dude. KU appears on Big Monday exactly 4 times a season, the contractual maximum. If you want to make the argument that 3 of those are always on the road, because it makes for good TV, that’s fine. But we’re not playing half our conference games on a 1 day turn.

You’re mostly right otherwise. A dirty sport doesn’t want the house of cards to crash. It unlines the pockets of too many powerful people.

You’re right. I was looking at Monday games, not big Monday. We do have a guaranteed 24 games on national television through espn. We are one of their most valuable properties so the point remains. 

Just now, Jhawk said:

KU only has 8 healthy scholarship guys playing but if you’re talking about talent disparity in that comment as well as depth then you’re right. 

I thought Okie State has been playing more or less a 6 man rotation since those suspensions.

Talent disparity definitely exists, obviously.

KU holds serve. Now needs help from Baylor and TCU today. 

UT isn’t making the tourney are they? I figured they’d get to 19 wins and be in but I’m not sure. 8 games left. 4 against the top half of the league and @OU and @WVU. They might not get to 17 wins. Lot of work to be a bubble team and for the first time I’m thinking that Shaka might be gone after this year regardless of buyout. 

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

There's no top-end team this year but the depth in the Big 12 is still good as ever.

This. And even the two bottom teams are dangerous and scrappy. Just no "easy" games. No teams just jump out as a Final Four threat, but B12 can realistically get 8 bids, and any of those 8 teams could make the S16.

38 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

KU holds serve. Now needs help from Baylor and TCU today. 

UT isn’t making the tourney are they? I figured they’d get to 19 wins and be in but I’m not sure. 8 games left. 4 against the top half of the league and @OU and @WVU. They might not get to 17 wins. Lot of work to be a bubble team and for the first time I’m thinking that Shaka might be gone after this year regardless of buyout. 

Ask me after tonight. If we can win in Morgantown, there's a path to 9 conference wins. Otherwise, it gets very dicey.

Haha yep. ISU kinda sucks. This is why I say we suck as a conference. We aren’t a bunch of A-B level teams beating each other up. We are a bunch of B-D level teams that don’t know how to play actual basketball. 

I do think we get 7 in but I would be surprised is more than 1 makes the sweet 16. 

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I ❤️ you, Al, but you're becoming the ISU Greenspoint.

I know I can be ridiculous but this is warranted.

We’re a good team that disappears at times and shouldn’t really be in the conference title race, but as Jhawk notes, the league is down at the top