2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

Yeah, Tech has absolutely NOT rediscovered their defensive mojo while also being aided by the offensive contributions of Mooney and Moretti.

Nope.  Nothing to see here but straight rubbish.

23 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Watch us beat KSU and Baylor then lose to UT

UT is a matchup problem for many teams. DO can be a force inside and the guards can get to the rim against softer defenders. The offense will stagnate at times so it's best to get on them early. Keep 'em out of the paint. 

6 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

UT is a matchup problem for many teams. DO can be a force inside and the guards can get to the rim against softer defenders. The offense will stagnate at times so it's best to get on them early. Keep 'em out of the paint. 

I honestly have more confidence in beating KSU in Manhattan than beating UT in Austin for these reasons 

Edited by Al_4_ISU

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Huge Kstate fan at this point.  End da fucking streak.  Tie doesn't end shit.  Didn't OU and Texas tie KU during the streak?  

Texas has done it twice. OU once very early in the streak (maybe the first year) and K-State most recently.

Only K-State did it having to play home and home. The other three beat KU on their home floor in the north/south days and didn’t play in Lawrence.

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

Only K-State did it having to play home and home. The other three beat KU on their home floor in the north/south days and didn’t play in Lawrence.

An odd distinction to draw attention to, especially while conveniently omitting that KU won much of those titles playing in the North Division, which was unquestionably weaker for the majority of those seasons.

6 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

An odd distinction to draw attention to, especially while conveniently omitting that KU won much of those titles playing in the North Division, which was unquestionably weaker for the majority of those seasons.

The divisions only existed for half the streak, and the south wasn’t “unquestionably” better for all of that half. And the south absolutely benefitted from only having to play KU once. Just as the north benefitted from only having to play Texas once during their late 00s peak.

Anyway, my posting history here isn’t is a KU homer, I was actually paying K-State a compliment. They’re the only team to share in the true round robin era, and it looks like they’re the going to be the one to end it.

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

The divisions only existed for half the streak, and the south wasn’t “unquestionably” better for all of that half. And the south absolutely benefitted from only having to play KU once. Just as the north benefitted from only having to play Texas once during their late 00s peak.

Anyway, my posting history here isn’t is a KU homer, I was actually paying K-State a compliment. They’re the only team to share in the true round robin era, and it looks like they’re the going to be the one to end it.

The conference scheduling as it was with north/south can't be changed so to use a worn out term - it is what it is. I really do like the round robin that we have now. South teams back before the shitheads left only got to play KU at home every other year iirc and let's be honest, they bring out the crowds when they go into someone else's gymnasium. What we have now is more fun and really levels the playing field. JMHO.

2 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

The divisions only existed for half the streak, and the south wasn’t “unquestionably” better for all of that half. And the south absolutely benefitted from only having to play KU once. Just as the north benefitted from only having to play Texas once during their late 00s peak

It was unquestionably better for the majority of years that the divisions existed, which is what I said. "All" is your straw man.

KU absolutely benefited from not having to play aggy twice during the BCG years, Texas during peak Barnes era, Tech during the Knight years, Baylor during some of its best years, and OSU when Sutton still had a functioning liver, etc.

KU's streak is an incredible accomplishment. I'm in awe of it as much as I despise it. But noting that the South schools only won a share by not having to play KU in Lawrence is pure bitchassedness--had the Jayhawks had to play a full South round-robin during those years, the streak would've died long ago.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

The conference scheduling as it was with north/south can't be changed so to use a worn out term - it is what it is. I really do like the round robin that we have now. South teams back before the shitheads left only got to play KU at home every other year iirc and let's be honest, they bring out the crowds when they go into someone else's gymnasium. What we have now is more fun and really levels the playing field. JMHO.

The round robin is much more fun. Losing it is the worst thing about big conferences. Basketball-wise anyway, I guess having teams you don’t even play in football is worse.

18 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

There’s chaos almost every year, but every year for the past 15 years KU has won it. They're in position to do it again

Normally I'd agree but they have 3 road games including one at Tech, and KSU at home which isn't a given in their last 5 and they have played badly on the road in conference play.

They control their own destiny but have a couple of road games (including @ KU) coming up that they could easily lose. I don't think anyone expects them to win out. They're only half a game ahead of Tech and KU.

Realistically KSU, Tech, KU, and ISU all control their own destiny. Winning out virtually guarantees any of those 4 teams would win the conference. The weirdest (and unlikeliest) scenario that could possibly happen would be KSU and one of Tech or ISU both winning out in which case KSU would win outright.

Edited by Brian Fantana

15 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Cats are still in the driver's seat are they not? They can even survive another loss - no one else can.

The wade injury doesn’t look like a game changer now. Same foot as last time but not the same injury. Weber said soft tissue damage and it looks like he misses Monday at West Virginia. As long as they don’t drop that they could probably be cautious and rest him against OSU and then have him back for the Ku game in 2 weeks. If KU can get by tech in Lubbock then we control our own destiny. KSU and KU and tech all control their own destiny until the KU v. Tech game is over (assuming KSU doesn’t lose to at wvu). 

Everything is going to come down to the wire like most years. This year it feels like teams aren’t going to self-eliminate by dropping two in a row to start the last 5-6 games of the season.