2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

7 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

If Tech wins out, someone else still has to beat the Cats for there to be a tie.

If KU wins out, best they can hope for is a tie, unless someone else beats the Cats.

If Cats win out, they are Champs.

That's literally exactly what I said except you are wrong about the bolded part. If KU wins out they are the outright champion.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

That's literally exactly what I said except you are wrong about the bolded part. If KU wins out they are the outright champion.

"All three" is what was stated and is exactly what I questioned.

Playing for a tie is one thing, but the team with a shot at an outright title truly controls their destiny.

edit:

I think you are wrong about KU's "outright" chances - unless you don't understand what "control your own destiny" means 

Edited by BluTechsan

When it comes to the streak, which I assume is one of the primary reasons for this discussion, a tie is as good as an outright win. Which for KU means we control our outcome. Win out and we’re champs (partial). I guess tech doesn’t technically have control since they don’t play KSU. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

When it comes to the streak, which I assume is one of the primary reasons for this discussion, a tie is as good as an outright win. Which for KU means we control our outcome. Win out and we’re champs (partial). I guess tech doesn’t technically have control since they don’t play KSU. 

Hypothetical question.  Would you take an outright championship this year if it meant a loss in the round of 32, or lose the streak but also go to an Elite 8?  Not trying to troll or anything like that; just curious on which is more important to Kansas fans.

Edited by ISU_Dude

44 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

"All three" is what was stated and is exactly what I questioned.

Playing for a tie is one thing, but the team with a shot at an outright title truly controls their destiny.

edit:

I think you are wrong about KU's "outright" chances - unless you don't understand what "control your own destiny" means 

The point I'm making is winning out virtually guarantees any of those 4 teams a championship, which is true. I don't live in a fantasy world in which any of those teams wins out.

9 minutes ago, ISU_Dude said:

Hypothetical question.  Would you take an outright championship this year if it meant a loss in the round of 32, or lose the streak but also go to an Elite 8?  Not trying to troll or anything like that; just curious on which is more important to Kansas fans.

That’s a really good question. For me, once doke went down I knew we just lost our shot at a championship or final 4 which was my expectation (at least contend for a title). Which would mean that winning the conference is really all I have now. That being said, not getting out of the first weekend is the absolute worst. Ruins the whole tourney for me. I think the streak is more important than an E8 run. Bill self will be mocked relentlessly either way. He either can’t get past the E8 or he chokes the first weekend. At the minimum winning the conference gets us something. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

John Wooden thinks a tie is something you wear when you go out to dinner.

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

That’s a really good question. For me, once doke went down I knew we just lost our shot at a championship or final 4 which was my expectation (at least contend for a title). Which would mean that winning the conference is really all I have now. That being said, not getting out of the first weekend is the absolute worst. Ruins the whole tourney for me. I think the streak is more important than an E8 run. Bill self will be mocked relentlessly either way. He either can’t get past the E8 or he chokes the first weekend. At the minimum winning the conference gets us something. 

Not sure this year's Kansas team or Self deserve to be "mocked relentlessly" if they make it to the Sweet 16.

My question for everyone, How many B12 Teams are gonna make it to the Sweet 16 this year??

My hope is for at least 4, but my concern is that it may only be 1.

(I know it's just a guess without knowing the health of the B12 teams at NCAA Tourney time and also the bracket match-ups....)

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, ISU_Dude said:

That’s a good question, E8 is the correct round to make the choice interesting. I’ll differ from Jhawk’s answer in that I would take the Elite 8. Last year’s conference championship set the streak record, so I’d have chosen it then...but that record will last until I’m dead, so I don’t care as much as extending it as I did setting it. If that makes sense.

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

John Wooden thinks a tie is something you wear when you go out to dinner.

He was also cheating before everybody was doing it and was the only even decent program west of the Rockies. He had an easier path to the championship game every year than Alabama football does right now.

Insert overrated chant here.

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

That’s a good question, E8 is the correct round to make the choice interesting. I’ll differ from Jhawk’s answer in that I would take the Elite 8. Last year’s conference championship set the streak record, so I’d have chosen it then...but that record will last until I’m dead, so I don’t care as much as extending it as I did setting it. If that makes sense.

One of the reasons the streak is important to me is because of HCBS’s tenure. I don’t think it will happen, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Self were to retire (or go NBA) once the streak ends. Especially in a year like this with all of the turmoil and potential NCAA problems. He’s stated multiple times that he isn’t coaching past 60 and he’ll be 57 this year. He could potentially walk away and leave the next coach with a stacked roster just like stoops. He’s accomplished everything he needs to accomplish to be the best coach in the history of the program known for producing the best coaches of all time. The only way I see him coaching past the age of 60 is if the streak is intact. 

Everybody says they’re done at 60 when they’re 49. The target is another national title, not a conference streak that has already surpassed Wooden. Hang another big banner and the next arena in Lawrence is named after him. That’s the goal.

If all the NCAA has is DeSousa, there will be a practical limit on how much they can (or will want to) punish. Preston was also bad, but he never played a minute. The dirtiest laundry in the FBI investigation was Ayton and Zion, I just don’t think they’re going to want to dig too deep, but we’ll see. All the top 100 kids are getting something. Do the people getting rich on the amateurism scam want that house of cards crumbling? I just don’t see it, and if it really came down to it there’s always the “fuck off” defense that Carolina used.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

One of the reasons the streak is important to me is because of HCBS’s tenure. I don’t think it will happen, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Self were to retire (or go NBA) once the streak ends. Especially in a year like this with all of the turmoil and potential NCAA problems. He’s stated multiple times that he isn’t coaching past 60 and he’ll be 57 this year. He could potentially walk away and leave the next coach with a stacked roster just like stoops. He’s accomplished everything he needs to accomplish to be the best coach in the history of the program known for producing the best coaches of all time. The only way I see him coaching past the age of 60 is if the streak is intact. 

Surprised that Self hasn't won more Nat'l Titles than Roy Williams.......  shocking really.

9 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

He was also cheating before everybody was doing it and was the only even decent program west of the Rockies.

lolwut?

U$C, Long Beach, USF, and SeattleU all had great programs back then.  U$C was ranked #3 in the country one season going into the tournament, except they didn't make the tournament because UCLA handed them their only two losses of the season and won the Pac-8.