2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

K-State really only plays 7 guys and that was with Diarra. There's a huge drop off at guard now from Brown and Stokes. Texas should attack both of those guys and try to get them in foul trouble. 

I will be confused if we don't run/press tonight. Without Diarra they're going to play most of their minutes with 6 guys. 

Never want to root for an injury, but this might just be the luck that KU needs to sit at the top of the conference by the end of the week.  State could drop @UT and then they have a tough one Saturday vs. ISU.  KU has WVU at home saturday so we could be looking to have at least a share of first place if not the outright lead with a win against WVU.

Time for the wildcats to see what adversity tastes like and to see if they can respond.  They didn't play great with Wade out but got W's.  Sometimes it is a hype man role player like Diarra that has a bigger effect on the team when they go down. I remember in the early 2000's that KU won every game one year when Simien was down but the second we lost Langford we dropped 3 straight or something like that.

Edited by Jhawk

Here is a list of the injuries in the big12 this year, I'm unsure about tech and Oklahoma injuries.

Spoiler

K-State: 
Dean Wade - 6 games 
Kamau Stokes - 1 game 
Cartier Diarra - 8 games

Kansas: 
Lagerald Vick - 2+ games - personal reasons 
Udoka Azubuike - 22 games 
Marcus Garrett - 4 games 
Silvio De Sousa - Season - Ineligible

Iowa State: 
Solomon Young - Season 
Cameron Lard - 9 games 
Lindell Wigginton - 10 games

Baylor: 
Tristan Clark - 17 games 
King McClure - 2+ games 
Makai Mason - 4 games 
Mario Kegler - 6 games - suspension

TCU: 
Jaylen Fisher - 22 games 
Kouat Noi - 4 games

Oklahoma State: 
Michael Weathers - 14 games - dismissed 
Maurice Calloo - 14 games - dismissed 
Kentrevious Jones - 14 games - dismissed

West Virginia: 
Esa Ahmad - 7 games - dismissed 
Wes Harris - 7 games - dismissed 
Derek Culver - 10 games - suspension 
Sagaba Konate - 22 games

Texas: 
Andrew Jones - 29 games

7 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Here is a list of the injuries in the big12 this year, I'm unsure about tech and Oklahoma injuries.

Reveal hidden contents

K-State: 
Dean Wade - 6 games 
Kamau Stokes - 1 game 
Cartier Diarra - 8 games

Kansas: 
Marcus Garrett - 4 games 

Iowa State: 
Solomon Young - Season 
Cameron Lard - 9 games 

Baylor: 
Tristan Clark - 17 games 
King McClure - 2+ games 
Makai Mason - 4 games 

TCU: 
Jaylen Fisher - 22 games 
Kouat Noi - 4 games

Oklahoma State: 

West Virginia: 
Sagaba Konate - 22 games

Texas: 
Andrew Jones - 29 games

If we're being fair, Jones probably shouldn't be put under our ledger. It's pretty clear that we're medically redshirting him. Sims missed two games due to injury, I think.

11 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Is this a pun?  He is having hand surgery and could be out the rest of the year.  Major blow to the kitties.

Sucks for them.

No pun intended because I didn't read the article, just the tweet saying he won't play.

I stand by it though - no Stokes/Wade in Manhattan, no Diarra in Austin is a huge break for Texas that needs this win tonight. 

15 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Hide contents

K-State: 
Dean Wade - 6 games 
Kamau Stokes - 1 game 
Cartier Diarra - 8 games

Kansas: 
Marcus Garrett - 4 games 

Iowa State: 
Solomon Young - Season 
Cameron Lard - 9 games 

Baylor: 
Tristan Clark - 17 games 
King McClure - 2+ games 
Makai Mason - 4 games 

TCU: 
Jaylen Fisher - 22 games 
Kouat Noi - 4 games

Oklahoma State: 

West Virginia: 
Sagaba Konate - 22 games

Texas: 
Andrew Jones - 29 games

Roach and Sims have missed games for Texas as well.  

11 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Roach missed a game for reportedly being sick, as well.

Still, Texas has been the most fortunate in terms of injuries/games missed, and with arguably one of the deepest, most athletic lineups in the league, it's hard to escape the feeling that we've grossly underachieved.

Have to agree with that.  UT is a 3 point favorite over OU based on Massey Ratings.  UT has 4 games they'll be the underdog in.  If those are losses and you drop the @ OU game then that's 5 more losses and only 2 wins to close out the year with 16 wins.  I didn't realize that 4/7 games were against the top of the conference.  Just to get to the point where UT is a bubble team you've got to pick off 4 out of 7 and maybe even 5 out of 7.  UT isn't looking like they are going dancing this year.

Edited by Jhawk

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If we're being fair, Jones probably shouldn't be put under our ledger. It's pretty clear that we're medically redshirting him. Sims missed two games due to injury, I think.

To be fair,  he's our best player and will miss a season and half of contributing to a team that is greatly in need of his talents on the court. Kerwin Roach alone would be used in a fundamentally different way with Jones on the court. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Prepare to be inundated with tweets from @texasstrong12.

tl;dr bubble is crazy weak this year and we can probably make it in without even going .500 in the Big 12.

This.  I get why a Kansas fan doesn't pay attention to the bubble but Texas will have to shit the bed down the stretch to miss the tourney.  Which is certainly feasible.

8 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Have to agree with that.  UT is a 3 point favorite over OU based on Massey Ratings.  UT has 4 games they'll be the underdog in.  If those are losses and you drop the @ OU game then that's 5 more losses and only 2 wins to close out the year with 16 wins.  I didn't realize that 4/7 games were against the top of the conference.  Just to get to the point where UT is a bubble team you've got to pick off 4 out of 7 and maybe even 5 out of 7.  UT isn't looking like they are going dancing this year.

You're more pessimistic than most Texas fans at this point. We're actually playing decent basketball at this point, and the bubble is terrible. They look more likely to make the tourney than miss it, although there's always the possibility that we revert back to our underperforming mean.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Prepare to be inundated with tweets from @texasstrong12.

tl;dr bubble is crazy weak this year and we can probably make it in without even going .500 in the Big 12.

Bubble sucks and our strong NCSOS and Q1 wins over KU, Purdue and UNC will get us in.  8-10 will do it most likely.  9-9 or 10-8 looks more likely for this team (W against shorthanded KSU tonight, OSU at home, @ OU and TCU at home gets you 10).  

Actually, if the team we've seen the last 10 or so days shows up the rest of the year, don't sleep on 11-7 with a win in Waco or Lubbock and/or win at home over the Clones.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

TCU, Baylor, and Texas are all right next to each other on the bubble, and they're all in the low 8 / high 9 seed range. OU is in the worst shape right now.

That’s the thing. There are going to be a few teams that have tournament resumes because it’s such a bad bubble yet there’s no way the committee can take them because of their conference record. Teams like Florida, OU and Indiana. 

Indiana at 4-9 and OU at 3-9 in conference play are both safely in the field right now. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Bubble talk sucks because it moves in a daily basis and for the most part it is out of a teams control. You can be in but a surprise run by the worst AAC team in their conference tourney guarantees a spot. I think 18 wins gets in. I can’t see 16-17 wins making it happen. 

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's only temporary.

Watch us beat KSU Saturday, then KSU loses to KU, who wins out, while us and KSU each drop another winnable game.

I dunno...starting to get a feeling that by Big 12 tournament time we're all going to get a steady diet of "FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FIFTEEN YEARS THE BIG 12 TITLE RESIDES IN KANSAS (this is where the announcers amp up the plot twist inflection) BUT NOT LAWRENCE KANSAS...(ridiculous pause)...MANHATTAN KANSAS.

Can't wait.

Edited by SnowAggy

14 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Rumblings out of Morganhole have Huggie stepping down as coach of the Hoopies at the end of the season.

I’m not sure if I’d be surprised, but I really don’t want him to go. He is great for the league and should finish his career there. I don’t think his career is over.