2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

7 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I didn't know your standards were that low

Think Vic with a smaller, less satisfying, dick. 

11 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Did you cross the streams?   Never cross the streams. 

Stuck with the wobbly H while eating tortillas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Hahaha I dig the “if we make it”. Your reverse jinx isn’t limited to games, it’s for the season. I’m guessing you put isu as 0-32 next year to make sure you have a good year. 

Hey, we aren't all spoiled KU and UT fans where we've seen success. Tech and ISU fans are like battered wives hoping that the husband will be nicer the next time we have faith.

• Like 2

Hahaha I dig the “if we make it”. Your reverse jinx isn’t limited to games, it’s for the season. I’m guessing you put isu as 0-32 next year to make sure you have a good year. 

Have you watched us this week? We’ve dropped some pretty awful games.

If we don’t get it together, we could easily lose the rest of our games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'm not sure what Beard changed after we dropped a deuce @ KSU but our offense has been top 20 statistically ever since. It's been a bizarre and welcome turnaround.

We got nasty on defense again. Mooneyhas continued to open up his offensive game, but the team as a whole feeds off of their obliteration of opposing offenses.

National dude nailed it when he said Tech defense makes other team want to tap out.

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

We got nasty on defense again. Mooneyhas continued to open up his offensive game, but the team as a whole feeds off of their obliteration of opposing offenses.

National dude nailed it when he said Tech defense makes other team want to tap out.

It's not just that. There have been some remarkable changes in both how we play halfcourt offense and how we attack in transition. Remember early in the year where we would turn it over a ton and could never finish in transition? That has basically evaporated in the last month. Beard made some changes. I'm not basketball savvy enough to say exactly what they are but it has been noticeable.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's not just that. There have been some remarkable changes in both how we play halfcourt offense and how we attack in transition. Remember early in the year where we would turn it over a ton and could never finish in transition? That has basically evaporated in the last month. Beard made some changes. I'm not basketball savvy enough to say exactly what they are but it has been noticeable.

Yep. Beard has been making work.  Love, love, love what he gets done with his teams. 

Kansas has had three 30-point losses in the 2000s.

86-53 v Okie State, 2/7/2000

72-40 v Kentucky, 11/18/2014

84-53 v Wake, 12/7/2000

Worst loss in modern era is 100-63 v Kentucky, 12/23/1974.

Worst loss ever was March 2, 1900 when Nebraska beat Kansas, 48-8. That Kansas teams was coached by that loser, James Naismith.

It's funny that Naismith is the only Kansas coach with a losing record at the school.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Yep. Beard has been making work.  Love, love, love what he gets done with his teams. 

I was curious about this, so I talked on the phone to a buddy of mine who's "in the know" (yeah yeah I know it sounds douchey to say, but he has a family member on the coaching staff) a few minutes ago and he says it's mainly due to Beard deciding to make Moretti the primary ball handler rather than a mix of Culver and Mooney that has made the biggest difference in the half court offense, in addition to actively looking for open spot up shooting rather than trying to play mostly in the paint with Culver as the offensive focus and using outside/midrange shooting as a last resort like we were in the first 2/3 of the season.

He also said that Beard basically realized that he was trying to have us play in the half court as if we were still last year's team which had much more pure driving/paint scoring ability (Evans/Niem/Zhaire/Zach/etc) and this year's team is much more of a spot up shooting group aside from Culver's driving ability. It always perplexed me early on in the season and Big 12 play that we were shooting from the perimeter so badly considering we actually have very good shooters on the team but it makes sense when you consider how we basically wanted to live in the paint and use outside/midrange shooting as a last resort. We've been playing great offense lately literally by just embracing the team's skillset rather than trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Grain of salt, etc. since it's 3rd-hand information but it makes sense to me.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Like 1

I was curious about this, so I talked on the phone to a buddy of mine who's "in the know" (yeah yeah I know it sounds douchey to say, but he has a family member on the coaching staff) a few minutes ago and he says it's mainly due to Beard deciding to make Moretti the primary ball handler rather than a mix of Culver and Mooney that has made the biggest difference in the half court offense, in addition to actively looking for open spot up shooting rather than trying to play mostly in the paint with Culver as the offensive focus and using outside/midrange shooting as a last resort like we were in the first 2/3 of the season.
He also said that Beard basically realized that he was trying to have us play in the half court as if we were still last year's team which had much more pure driving/paint scoring ability (Evans/Niem/Zhaire/Zach/etc) and this year's team is much more of a spot up shooting group aside from Culver's driving ability. It always perplexed me early on in the season and Big 12 play that we were shooting from the perimeter so badly considering we actually have very good shooters on the team but it makes sense when you consider how we basically wanted to live in the paint and use outside/midrange shooting as a last resort. We've been playing great offense lately literally by just embracing the team's skillset rather than trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

If I knew more about the intricacies of basketball and was sober, I believe that this would make sense
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

That should give everyone hope for Beard as a big time coach.  He's a good coach, but there are a lot of good coaches who get stuck in their way and refuse to evolve with their team's unique personality.  Bill Self was guilty of this his first 2-3 years at KU.  You could see it happen when he learned that the coach isn't always right and sometimes you have to roll with the talent you have.  I know that is weird to say because a coach recruits his talent, but you can never know how a piece is going to fit with other pieces already in place.

Bob Knight was his way or the highway.  He won championships with it.  He still won at a decent clip when the game and players changed, but he never won big again.  I was starting to get down on beard, but if what you say is really a strategic change he made then great for him and his career, and tech (while they have him).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

That should give everyone hope for Beard as a big time coach.  He's a good coach, but there are a lot of good coaches who get stuck in their way and refuse to evolve with their team's unique personality.  Bill Self was guilty of this his first 2-3 years at KU.  You could see it happen when he learned that the coach isn't always right and sometimes you have to roll with the talent you have.  I know that is weird to say because a coach recruits his talent, but you can never know how a piece is going to fit with other pieces already in place.

Bob Knight was his way or the highway.  He won championships with it.  He still won at a decent clip when the game and players changed, but he never won big again.  I was starting to get down on beard, but if what you say is really a strategic change he made then great for him and his career, and tech (while they have him).

Why?

He had wholesale roster changes, albeit with Culver, and contributors Odiase and Moretti returning.

When and why were you down on Beard?  That just flat out does not make sense.

No he's not a saint and no he's not quite a first ballot HoFer yet; but damn, how has anything he's done caused anyone to blink with regard to his ability to coach the game of basketball or believing his future is anything but bright?

a 3 game losing streak in Big XII play?  Yeah, the play before and after that kinda gives hope to the Matador faithful.

Edited by slorch

36 minutes ago, slorch said:

Why?

He had wholesale roster changes, albeit with Culver, and contributors Odiase and Moretti returning.

When and why were you down on Beard?  That just flat out does not make sense.

No he's not a saint and no he's not quite a first ballot HoFer yet; but damn, how has anything he's done caused anyone to blink with regard to his ability to coach the game of basketball or believing his future is anything but bright?

a 3 game losing streak in Big XII play?  Yeah, the play before and after that kinda gives hope to the Matador faithful.

Just your average jhawk take.

18 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Texas Tech has a good coach. Texas does not. Beard (and plenty of others) would work wonders with UT’s roster.