2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

28 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is our program.  Good, capable of beating anyone, incapable of winning the conference title.  Hoiberg couldn't do it.  Prohm can't do it.

But I remember the McDermott era, so I'm not going to complain much.  We're pretty much set at being a B to B+ kind of program.  Could be much worse.

Well think of it this way, at least you're better off mathematically than Iowa.

10 hours ago, slorch said:

????????????

Conference Titles matter, especially since it's been a while...like ever... for Tech.

I care a shit-ton more about how we do in the tournament.  I'm not even remotely thinking the loser of our game sucks, or is on "life support."

What @Machinator said.  I mean for the conference crown.  If KU loses, we have to beat KSU and win out (@OSU, @OU, Baylor) which isn't unrealistic we would just need help to win it.  If Tech loses, they have no control and need help.

KSU is sitting really pretty right now.  One of their top two competitors is going to be eliminated this weekend.  If tech wins, they don't have to play them.  If KU wins they have a chance to swat them back down. 

If they hadn't lost to ISU then they would essentially have this thing locked up.  Saw this GIF on reddit right after the game...

Edited by Jhawk

Did you see the most recent bracketology with KU in the Kansas City Regional as a 3 seed?  Oh and the first round would be a treacherous roadgame at Tulsa.

I know the Top 4 seeds generally get a kiss on sites, but wholly fock that is bullshit for a 3 seed

Phog magic advantage forever

But Fuck Kansas this Saturday.  Fuck em till they tap out and then hammer it home again.

Edited by slorch

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

Did you see the most recent bracketology with KU in the Kansas City Regional as a 3 seed?  Oh and the first round would be a treacherous roadgame at Tulsa.

I know the Top 4 seeds generally get a kiss on sites, but wholly fock that is bullshit for a 3 seed

That's our NCSOS, SOS, and RPI doing work for us.  We rank 3, 1, 1 in those.  While I agree with you that we are overseeded, I understand the methodology and can't really disagree with it as it is stated.  It isn't just bracketology either, if you look at http://www.bracketmatrix.com/ KU averages being ranked the TOP three seed.  We are a 4 seed in four brackets and a 5 seed in two.  We are a TWO seed by 12 brackets and a ONE seed in at least 5 brackets.  A two and a one seed are terribly overseeded.  3 is probably taking on a little bit of projection that we will win all but one game going forward.

The geography placement is just lazy in my mind.  I can all but guarantee that we are going to be placed in Tulsa.  Tulsa will be a ghost town if KU isn't there.  It will sell out at least 2 sessions if they put KU there.  What is baffling to me is that I've seen us placed in KC with both Tennessee and Kentucky as a higher seed than us.  No way that happens with Louisville as a regional.

Edit: I think if we lose the conference but go to the big12 finals we will be a 3 seed.  If we win out and win the tourney then we will be a strong 2 seed.  CBB on the whole is down.

Edited by Jhawk

2 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Lindsey should be back.

I thought I'd heard that his hip injury was such that he's retired from competitive basketball. He was a solid player, not prone to mistakes and could drive to the hoop. Not as good as Mason with the touch on the ball but very solid.

15 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We’re going to beat TCU in Ft Worth, and lose to OU in Hilton.

I fucking hate this team sometimes.  3 losses in Hilton, none to ranked teams.  A down Big 12 and we choke on apple sauce again.  I just want to break shit, but I’ll probably just finish my beer and go to bed.  I’d be better off not watching these guys.

I didn't make it half way through the first half.  I knew it'd be TCU part two and turned it off.  Apart from Horton-Tucker these guys are a bunch of pussies.  Wigginton is either on fire awesome or literally throwing games away (out of bounds, to the other team...).  And where the fuck does Shayok go for minutes at a time...he just fucking disappears.

Shaka, if you're reading this and want a lead pipe cinch guaranteed win in Austin on March 2nd; put Hayes and Osetkowski on the floor at the same time for as long as possible plus your three fastest guards.  Shayok won't do shit, Jacobsen/Lard will disappear, Babb will fuck around with the ball and burn the shot clock out, Wigginton will speed down the floor to beat your guards and bomb away miss after miss after miss (because god forbid if he's not shooting), and Talen Horton-Tucker isn't enough by himself to do anything.  Just body up and play physical, ISU are soft and can't rebound.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

I didn't make it half way through the first half.  I knew it'd be TCU part two and turned it off.  Apart from Horton-Tucker these guys are a bunch of pussies.  Wigginton is either on fire awesome or literally throwing games away (out of bounds, to the other team...).  And where the fuck does Shayok go for minutes at a time...he just fucking disappears.

Shaka, if you're reading this and want a lead pipe cinch guaranteed win in Austin on March 2nd; put Hayes and Osetkowski on the floor at the same time for as long as possible plus your three fastest guards.  Shayok won't do shit, Jacobsen/Lard will disappear, Babb will fuck around with the ball and burn the shot clock out, Wigginton will speed down the floor to beat your guards and bomb away miss after miss after miss (because god forbid if he's not shooting), and Talen Horton-Tucker isn't enough by himself to do anything.  Just body up and play physical, ISU are soft and can't rebound.

I think the problem with ISU is that they don't play with any heart.  They have some really nice pieces that are NBA caliber guys (even their tier two guys are Euro guys), but they are all just playing for themselves.  It's kinda one of those deals where everyone thinks if they put up a good stat line they will win.  But the truth is that no one on the team is taking it among themselves to go create a win.  If they had 2-3 guys who would do the small things and get the stats then they would win the conference.  There really isn't an emotional leader or a guy on the court who is going to win at all costs.  Their problems are completely mental/effort related in my mind.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I thought I'd heard that his hip injury was such that he's retired from competitive basketball. He was a solid player, not prone to mistakes and could drive to the hoop. Not as good as Mason with the touch on the ball but very solid.

He's still on the bench and they were at least considering a redshirt for this year last I had heard, so if he's retiring it would be news to me.

11 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

I think Tech wins on Saturday, but that doesn't detract from the awesomeness of that reddit post.

I think KU comes out with something to prove.  It doesn't look like Garrett will be 100% so I'm actually hoping he doesn't play.  Can't have a net negative on offense and a hampered defender on Culver.  For some reason, I just feel like KU will be really hungry with our backs against the wall.  This probably means we get blown out but I'm hopeful that this team finally has the flow and the desire to win the big12.  We've played pretty damn good since the KSU game, but then again we also played OSU & WVU with a decent challenge from TCU at their place.

This game makes or breaks the conference streak barring some massive fuck up by tech and KSU.  Bill Self will have his guys ready to come out hot like he usually does in big games.

13 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I think KU comes out with something to prove.  It doesn't look like Garrett will be 100% so I'm actually hoping he doesn't play.  Can't have a net negative on offense and a hampered defender on Culver.  For some reason, I just feel like KU will be really hungry with our backs against the wall.  This probably means we get blown out but I'm hopeful that this team finally has the flow and the desire to win the big12.  We've played pretty damn good since the KSU game, but then again we also played OSU & WVU with a decent challenge from TCU at their place.

This game makes or breaks the conference streak barring some massive fuck up by tech and KSU.  Bill Self will have his guys ready to come out hot like he usually does in big games.

I think you guys win out.  The streak always finds a way.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think you guys win out.  The streak always finds a way.

We'll see, our schedules are pretty much a wash if we get by Tech. 

KSU: @KU, Baylor, @TCU, OU

KU: KSU, @OSU, @OU, Baylor

The only reason I say they are a wash is because we don't play well at Iba and @OU won't be a free one either.  TCU on paper gives their schedule the nod for tougher though.  We beat Tech and KSU and we have a share in my opinion.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:07 AM, Jhawk said:

You're talking about games played at home and in conference, right? 

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Btw..... when did K-State start wearing church league basketball uniforms??

13 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Throwbacks to Rolando Blackman era

That was the cover of SI. It was one of the covers I pasted on my bedroom wall.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Sports-Illustrated-March-23-1981-Back-Issue/85134492?iid=253903427296&chn=ps

11 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Sports-Illustrated-March-23-1981-Back-Issue/85134492?iid=253903427296&chn=ps

So Beavers get defeated..... and you pasted it on your bedroom wall...

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

57 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Same day as the US Reed shot for Arkansas over UL at the FEC, pro UL crowd until that shot went in.  

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Same day as the US Reed shot for Arkansas over UL at the FEC, pro UL crowd until that shot went in.  

yup, that was a crazy beginning of the tournament. In the Mideast #1 DePaul beaten by St. Joseph, #2 Kentucky beaten by UAB. In the Midwest that Arky win plus #2 Arizona State and #3 Iowa going down.

• Like 1