2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

Tech football program has been prolific passers for going on 2 decades.  Basketball team can't pass for shit to create space in order for these mofos who cannot create their shot to get quality attempts.  It's insane.

Whole lotta standing around going on...

The defense is maniacal at times and the offense seems uninspired as hell.

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I know there's some gnashing of teeth going on but at least the conference as a whole came out ahead again.

I think the Big 12 had a winning record against the SEC in prior non-con games heading into the weekend as well.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 3-0 (Us over Mizzou, OSU over LSU, KU over Tenn)

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think the Big 12 had a winning record against the SEC in prior non-con games heading into the weekend as well.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 3-0 (Us over Mizzou, OSU over LSU, KU over Tenn)

The fact that OSU is 2-0 vs. the top 4 in the SEC standings tells you something.   And that something isn't "OSU is pretty damn good".  

• Like 2

I think I heard announcers say last night that the tallest player in the Baylor starting lineup is 6'-6"?  They lost their big man, Clark, for the season - he was their goto inside guy and lead the team in scoring - so they reshuffled the deck and might look even more dynamic in the current configuration. Drew may be making a run at CoY if he can keep it up. It's not been uncommon for them to have one guy who could drain 3's but it seems now like they have 3 or 4 guys who can get hot on any given night from deep. 

I think I heard announcers say last night that the tallest player in the Baylor starting lineup is 6'-6"?  They lost their big man, Clark, for the season - he was their goto inside guy and lead the team in scoring - so they reshuffled the deck and might look even more dynamic in the current configuration. Drew may be making a run at CoY if he can keep it up. It's not been uncommon for them to have one guy who could drain 3's but it seems now like they have 3 or 4 guys who can get hot on any given night from deep. 

Awesome! So when we play them with our bigger lineup we'll...go 7/35 from 3 pt line.

23 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I wasn't able to watch the Tech/TCU game, Tech found some offense?

I didn't get to watch much but I think they had 51 at the half. And then later heard the announcers saying that if/when Tech doesn't turn the ball over they, shocker, can score points.

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I wasn't able to watch the Tech/TCU game, Tech found some offense?

I don't know how the numbers shake out, but my impression was that last night was one of Tech's better shooting games of the season.  They often fail to hit wide open three pointers, but last night they were even making contested 3s.  And yes, way better on turnovers.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:26 PM, Jhawk said:

Is fucking Baylor going to be in the top Half of the conference in March? I rest my case in the argument on this league sucking squarely on the fact that Baylor is in the top half of the league. 

How does Baylor's ass look now dirty bird?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Well, there ya go, rest o' the Big 12. Don't say Texas never did anything for you.

Thanks!  Now excuse me while we play "hot potato" with this thoughtful gift and fumble it in the next few days.  We have a great opportunity for the kind of pathetic, soul crushing, opportunity fumbling loss we know and love tonight.

I’m way behind on this thread, but I’m wondering something about Kansas. I know they’ve had injuries, but are they also worse this year because they weren’t able to cheat and acquire players in the offseason since they were in the middle of the investigation?

25 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m way behind on this thread, but I’m wondering something about Kansas. I know they’ve had injuries, but are they also worse this year because they weren’t able to cheat and acquire players in the offseason since they were in the middle of the investigation?

Really doesn’t have much to do with it really. KU wasn’t a part of the investigation really. We were listed as a victim. We did get caught up in it though. We signed the 3 transfers over a year before the investigation broke so that would mean self knew we were being associated with an investigation, specifically into our players being paid, over a year before anyone else knew. 

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Does you crystal ball still have KU winning the league?

Mine does.

I think we're the best team in the league in terms of ceiling, and I think we'll beat KU in the rubber match in Kansas City, but they aren't going to lose a home game.  We've already done that, and we have to play that team on the road yet.  We're also more capable of losing to bad teams.

This round robin schedule is so fucking odd. 

How have we played ku twice already, but not even played baylor once?  

god's gift will lose a few more times (possibly several more) and still win the damn thing, yet their posters are over here acting as if they've sucked balls for the last 5 years and want to fire their coach to build momentum for a new arena opening in 2021

Does you crystal ball still have KU winning the league?

I don’t know what to think anymore. If any team in the big 12 had any balls they would win this fucking league this year. If KU wins it’s because the other coaches have battered wife syndrome and feel the need to give it to Ku.  

I’ll say this, KU has tech and KSU up next. They lose both of these games and it’s over. They win one and we need a lot of help to win the league. We win both and we’re in the driver’s seat. 

Edited by Jhawk

28 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I don’t know what to think anymore. If any team in the big 12 had any balls they would win this fucking league this year. If KU wins it’s because the other coaches have battered wife syndrome and feel the need to give it to Ku.  

I’ll say this, KU has tech and KSU up next. They lose both of these games and it’s over. They win one and we need a lot of help to win the league. We win both and we’re in the driver’s seat. 

You'll win both.  You have Tech at Phog, and KSU will roll over dead.

We're getting close to the midway point of the conference season and the picture is still pretty murky. I expect it will be a wild chase to the finish just because there is no clear cut, head-and-shoulders-above-everybody-else team this year. Keeping my fingers crossed for chaos and that everyone stays injury free.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Mine does.

I think we're the best team in the league in terms of ceiling, and I think we'll beat KU in the rubber match in Kansas City, but they aren't going to lose a home game.  We've already done that, and we have to play that team on the road yet.  We're also more capable of losing to bad teams.

KU might win out at home and still not win the conference if they keep up their 1-5 road record.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

KU might win out at home and still not win the conference if they keep up their 1-5 road record.

The winner of the conference needs 4 road wins.  I don't think KU is going to get there.  Our 5 road games remaining are; KSU, TCU, Tech, OSU, OU.

I think KSU and OSU are the most likely wins, but they are also very likely losses.  HCBS is notorious for losing to OSU and KSU is both a rival and top team in the conference.  OU and Tech are obviously going to be tough games and we'd be lucky to win 1 in those series, not even thinking about winning both.  TCU I guess could be a win but that hardly helps.  Unless some light switch turns on I just don't see the wins adding up unless it is only going to take 10-11 wins to take the championship.

We're getting close to the midway point of the conference season and the picture is still pretty murky. I expect it will be a wild chase to the finish just because there is no clear cut, head-and-shoulders-above-everybody-else team this year. Keeping my fingers crossed for chaos and that everyone stays injury free.

Personally, I think ISU's championship hopes ended when KSU beat us in Hilton.  It'll be a mad dash as you describe but KU are like the Patriots; it's a bad idea to bet against them down the stretch.  If KU does win the regular season the conference tournament will be wide open and should be a lot of fun.

Edited by SnowAggy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

The winner of the conference needs 4 road wins.  I don't think KU is going to get there.  Our 5 road games remaining are; KSU, TCU, Tech, OSU, OU.

I think KSU and OSU are the most likely wins, but they are also very likely losses.  HCBS is notorious for losing to OSU and KSU is both a rival and top team in the conference.  OU and Tech are obviously going to be tough games and we'd be lucky to win 1 in those series, not even thinking about winning both.  TCU I guess could be a win but that hardly helps.  Unless some light switch turns on I just don't see the wins adding up unless it is only going to take 10-11 wins to take the championship.

Wins at KSU, TCU, OSU and OU.  

Those are obviously the most likely wins, but we have 2 games against Tech, KSU, and OSU left on the schedule.  OSU is the only likely sweep remaining on the schedule.  Great, we win at KSU.  That can still be negated by a home loss to them and in this league, with the fundamental problems that KU has, I wouldn't count on sweeping all 4 of those teams.

De Sousa ruled ineligible for 2 years until the 20-21 season. He should file a massive lawsuit against the NCAA just like UNC did when they had the academic fraud deal. Only $2500 was ever proven to his guardian. I maintain that I don’t think he’ll ever play in a KU uniform but I didn’t think it was because they’d run out his eligibility via penalty. The ncaa is flat out of control and the member schools need to smack them down.