2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

This coming Saturday is the BXII vs SEC Challenge weekend, all 10 BXII teams will play an SEC school on the 26th and all games will be televised.

This will mark the fourth consecutive year for all matchups to be played in one day. ESPN, EPSN2 and ESPNU will combine to televise the contests with ESPN’s College GameDay originating from one of the sites. (wonder who will get this "honor")

Big 12 teams are 29-21 (.580) in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge. In the first four years of the event, the Challenge trophy remained in the Big 12 office. The Big 12 won it the first three seasons and the leagues split the 10 games in 2017 (in case of a tie, the trophy stays with the conference that won it the previous season). The SEC won the fifth season of the Challenge.

2019 SEC/Big 12 Challenge – Saturday, January 26
(Number in parenthesis is Big 12 team record in the Challenge)

Alabama at Baylor (4-1).

Iowa State (2-3) at Ole Miss

Kansas (4-1) at Kentucky 

Kansas State (3-2) at Texas A&M
- K-State holds an 18-8 advantage in the all-time series.

Vanderbilt at Oklahoma (3-2)

South Carolina at Oklahoma State (3-2)

Florida at TCU (3-2).

Texas (3-2) at Georgia
- Well looky here, another chance to gore UGA       

Arkansas at Texas Tech (3-2)

West Virginia (1-4) at Tennessee

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

This coming Saturday is the BXII vs SEC Challenge weekend, all 10 BXII teams will play an SEC school on the 26th and all games will be televised.

This will mark the fourth consecutive year for all matchups to be played in one day. ESPN, EPSN2 and ESPNU will combine to televise the contests with ESPN’s College GameDay originating from one of the sites. (wonder who will get this "honor")

Big 12 teams are 29-21 (.580) in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge. In the first four years of the event, the Challenge trophy remained in the Big 12 office. The Big 12 won it the first three seasons and the leagues split the 10 games in 2017 (in case of a tie, the trophy stays with the conference that won it the previous season). The SEC won the fifth season of the Challenge.

Alabama at Baylor (4-1).

Kansas (4-1) at Kentucky 

Florida at TCU (3-2).

Texas (3-2) at Georgia

We aren’t good at this.

Were also already 1-0 against the SEC this year

KU -5.5 tonight.

We cover, but lose.  Grab bag from following things going wrong for ISU:  shitty call in favor of KU late in the game in crucial situation; we miss free throws and/or open looks late; KU hits low probability shot (Ben McLemore bank for example) to extend or end game.

I'm sure it will be entertaining.

21 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Alabama at Baylor (4-1).

Kansas (4-1) at Kentucky 

Florida at TCU (3-2).

Texas (3-2) at Georgia

Baylor
Iowa State
Kentucky
Kansas State
OU
South Carolina
Florida
Texas
Texas Tech
Tennessee

6-4 Big 12

On 1/20/2019 at 6:32 AM, slorch said:

Poor Kansas.  Y'all's fans are the fucking worst.  The world's gonna end because you have more than one Big XII loss...

I say that this league sucks because we do.  The best teams in the league are losing to the worst teams in the league.  When you look at offensive measures it shows that the league just isn't very good.  KU scored 64 against the 114th ranked defense.  The 18th ranks D at ISU gave up 73 to the 67th ranked offense at baylor.  Tech is the number 1 defense and gave up 73 to the same baylor team.  KSU is a flat out abortion on offense.  We just aren't a good league this year at the top.  The league sucks this year on the whole.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

KU -5.5 tonight.

We cover, but lose.  Grab bag from following things going wrong for ISU:  shitty call in favor of KU late in the game in crucial situation; we miss free throws and/or open looks late; KU hits low probability shot (Ben McLemore bank for example) to extend or end game.

I'm sure it will be entertaining.

Based on how the season has gone so far across the league, this is a must win game for KU.  I'll be sure to be at the refs entrance for some hundred dollar handshakes.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

I say that this league sucks because we do.  The best teams in the league are losing to the worst teams in the league.  When you look at offensive measures it shows that the league just isn't very good.  KU scored 64 against the 114th ranked defense.  The 18th ranks D at ISU gave up 73 to the 67th ranked offense at baylor.  Tech is the number 1 defense and gave up 73 to the same baylor team.  KSU is a flat out abortion on offense.  We just aren't a good league this year at the top.  The league sucks this year on the whole.

Based on how the season has gone so far across the league, this is a must win game for KU.  I'll be sure to be at the refs entrance for some hundred dollar handshakes.

This is our opportunity to grab the reigns for first place, and at least put KU in a really bad spot in terms of #15.

If history is any indicator, we'll shit all over ourselves.

Well ISU has won two in a row, one against a good team and one against a bad one so I can't say my hopes aren't high.  That being said, when I was looking at Kenpom this morning I noticed that ISU has the #18 defense and the #18 offense.  KU comes in at 9/29 (D/O).  An argument could be made that ISU has the most complete team in the conference, especially when you factor in that ISU played without 3 core players for a stretch.  I think ISU has the horses this year because of the lack of horses KU seems to have.

We have the horses.

But we've had the horses before.  Something will go wrong, because that's what always happens.

We can win any game we're in, but we can lose any game we're in too.  I wouldn't be stunned to see us win tonight and then lose enough games against the bottom half that KU still wins the league.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We have the horses.

But we've had the horses before.  Something will go wrong, because that's what always happens.

We can win any game we're in, but we can lose any game we're in too.  I wouldn't be stunned to see us win tonight and then lose enough games against the bottom half that KU still wins the league.

All of this sounds familiar

1 hour ago, Luka Skywalker said:

Shots fired!

I wouldn't call it a shot.  Both outfits have proven the ability to beat anyone and lose to anyone.  Almost any fan of either would agree with that.

Im also not making a historical comparison.  This is just recent.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Just now, Pancho Negro said:

Really not clear why isu is settling for 3 pointers that clearly aren’t falling. 

Couldn’t agree more.  That stretch where we quit attacking the rim just did us in.

Dont know how we can stop Lawson.  We can’t cover him tighter without fouling and he isn’t missing anything 

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Couldn’t agree more.  That stretch where we quit attacking the rim just did us in.

Dont know how we can stop Lawson.  We can’t cover him tighter without fouling and he isn’t missing anything 

Cray part is isu is shooting more FTs so they are getting calls at ku, something that is unheard of

drive the ball and it’s a good chance you’ll get a foul called

That was just a good game to watch. Especially because we didn’t give it away at the end. 

Wigginton did not take a leap in skill like I thought he would. KU escapes with that one because ISU tried to shoot themselves out of a slump. That was most definitely a must win for Kansas.