Texas Player Leadership For the Future

LTtxfan

Who are the alpha players that provide leadership for 2019 & 2020 Seasons??

Not trying to start a Rant Thread.... But wonder who steps forward as the leaders in next few years......

Obviously Sam & Collin (If he stays).  Maybe Roach & Shark?

Might see some of the 2018 Class step forward as leaders.....

Floyd in the 2019 Class seems like a Dawg.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going through the 2 deep, I don't find much leadership in the Sophomore and Junior Classes

Just seems like the current Senior leadership has at times struggled this Season.....

Edited by LTtxfan

17 minutes ago, coachkiss said:

Leaders will surprise you.  No one expected Andrew Beck to be a leader.  More leaders are made in the winter and spring and summer than in the fall.  You will find out who the leaders are after conditioning starts back up.

No doubt....

Just find myself thinking about the poor performance at Okie Lite and wondering how this Team can improve on the Road.  While Coaches deserve part of the blame..... So do the players.   Hold each other accountable..... have more maturity and discipline as players.  Way too many mental mistakes against Okie Lite..... Lack of Focus and Lack of Execution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saban's famous comments about player's mental preparation below....

A question about first-quarter three-and-outs triggered Saban's response.

"We just didn't play as well tonight and you have to give them a lot of credit for it," Saban began.

Then a pause.

"I'm trying to get our players to listen to me instead of listening to you guys," Saban said. "All that stuff you write about how good we are. All that stuff they hear on ESPN. It's like poison.

"It's like taking poison.

"Like rat poison."

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

LJH, the guy who has been forced to sit out part or all of a game not once but twice for violating team rules, a leader? 

absolutely this. I love LJH, but between his missing a series for missing a team meeting and the starting senior corners being benched for a quarter, it was pretty obvious the "seniority" was not 100% focused on the OSU game. This team needs "leaders" more than it needs upperclassmen. Hopefully the 2018 class steps up after the year and really leads since they aren't newcomers anymore.

3 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

absolutely this. I love LJH, but between his missing a series for missing a team meeting and the starting senior corners being benched for a quarter, it was pretty obvious the "seniority" was not 100% focused on the OSU game. This team needs "leaders" more than it needs upperclassmen. Hopefully the 2018 class steps up after the year and really leads since they aren't newcomers anymore.

+1000

Unfortunate that Wheeler was late to a lift earlier this week..... Sounds like an honest mistake, but still need the older players to get their act together.

On a positive note, saw on "All Access" Senior Tre Watson providing encouragement to the other players during halftime of Okie Lite game.....

Need to find another Poona, Blalock, Studdard, Muckelroy, Orakpo.... basically if they want to make the trenches the focus they need some killers in there. Those guys who are serious about playing pro ball, with the big boys it's not so much about skills and talent. It is about playing team ball, doing your job, never quitting, working hard, and training well to stay healthy. Sure I want us to be DBU again, but more importantly running down people's throats and blowing up their running game, getting some heat on QBs...

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

Need to find another Poona, Blalock, Studdard, Muckelroy, Orakpo.... basically if they want to make the trenches the focus they need some killers in there. Those guys who are serious about playing pro ball, with the big boys it's not so much about skills and talent. It is about playing team ball, doing your job, never quitting, working hard, and training well to stay healthy. Sure I want us to be DBU again, but more importantly running down people's throats and blowing up their running game, getting some heat on QBs...

Yeah need leadership in trenches from some tough guys....

Need some more Dawgs on the OL/DLs that like to finish plays and whip their opponents..... Need some Nasty.....

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Something in me tells me Patrick Hudson and Keontay Ingram will fill some leadership roles. 

There is no way in hell Hudson will be a team leader. Seems like a nice/good kid, but ass kicking leader.... nope

Thinking about the current Texas players, the lack of true leadership from the Defensive Upperclassmen is one of the primary reasons why that group has struggled so much.

Going forward Texas has to find some Dawgs on Defense that are disciplined and hold others accountable AND perform well.  Hard to listen to guys that don't perform great during crunch time (Wheeler,  Hager, Nelson, Davis, and Boyd).

If they can sign Floyd in the 2019 Class, he seems like he might have that Dawg type of personality for the Defensive side of the ball. Hope more Dawg type leadership rises up from both the 2018 and 2019 Recruiting Classes.....

Edited by LTtxfan

IMO, this has always been an issue for whatever reason and has kept us from reaching our potential for decades. It's always taken a transcendent leader at Texas to accomplish on the field, and there have been too few of them.

Talented players have come through the 40 a plenty, but not enough with strong mental fortitude like the Streets, VYs, or Colts. Without that once in a lifetime talent and leadership mix, our teams tend to be very mentally fragile and lacking strength in the face of adversity.

3 starters being late for meetings as we sit at 6-1, #7 in the nation is just the latest of many examples of Texas stepping on their dicks due to a lack of leadership/sense of entitlement in the program's player base.

24 minutes ago, pacman said:

IMO, this has always been an issue for whatever reason and has kept us from reaching our potential for decades. It's always taken a transcendent leader at Texas to accomplish on the field, and there have been too few of them.

Talented players have come through the 40 a plenty, but not enough with strong mental fortitude like the Streets, VYs, or Colts. Without that once in a lifetime talent and leadership mix, our teams tend to be very mentally fragile and lacking strength in the face of adversity.

3 starters being late for meetings as we sit at 6-1, #7 in the nation is just the latest of many examples of Texas stepping on their dicks due to a lack of leadership/sense of entitlement in the program's player base.

+1

Player Leadership can be developed..... Coaches have to do a better job in this area.   Kinda seems like the current Player Leadership Council is more of a club.... maybe I'm wrong???

Edited by LTtxfan

Lack of experienced on the field leadership for the Defense is obvious without Malik & Poona.

Another thing......It really bothers me how fragile this current group of upperclassmen seem to be....... Didn't Herman say the team didn't play well in 2nd Half of Tulsa game because he yelled at them at Halftime??

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

+1

Player Leadership can be developed..... Coaches have to do a better job in this area.   Kinda seems like the current Player Leadership Council is more of a club.... maybe I'm wrong???

I don't know what to think about the council but I don't think leadership is something that can be manufactured in players. It starts with doing your homework on a prospect's mental evaluation during the recruiting process, and of course maintaining a strong locker room culture.

It will be nice when our team leaders also happen to be the best players on the team. Right now, Chris Nelson is the only one who's anywhere close to that designation, though Andrew Beck deserves a nod for making the TE position at least relevant again at Texas.

I think our defensive front will look a lot more like a Texas front next season. No disrespect to Hager, Nelson, & Omenhiu, but those guys were some late developmental pick ups by Charlie. Charles is the only one who turned himself into a draftable player imo. Someone might take a flyer on Hager as a 3-4 OLB.

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't know what to think about the council but I don't think leadership is something that can be manufactured in players. It starts with doing your homework on a prospect's mental evaluation during the recruiting process, and of course maintaining a strong locker room culture.

It will be nice when our team leaders also happen to be the best players on the team. Right now, Chris Nelson is the only one who's anywhere close to that designation, though Andrew Beck deserves a nod for making the TE position at least relevant again at Texas.

I am reminded of the lesson Jay Bilas learned in the past few years, of recruiting top rated players while ignoring his system and culture. It didn't work. Only when he returned to his previous recruiting roots did he get back to the title.

2 minutes ago, pacman said:

I am reminded of the lesson Jay Bilas learned in the past few years, of recruiting top rated players while ignoring his system and culture. It didn't work. Only when he returned to his previous recruiting roots did he get back to the title.

Do you mean Jay Wright at Villanova?? (Basketball Coach)

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Lack of experienced on the field leadership for the Defense is obvious without Malik & Poona.

Another thing......It really bothers me how fragile this current group of upperclassmen seem to be....... Didn't Herman say the team didn't play well in 2nd Half of Tulsa game because he yelled at them at Halftime??

What the neck has happened to Gary Johnson??  Thought he would understand the Defense better and be a leader for the group......