2018 NBA Draft

Machinator

Last year, I wanted Dennis Smith for the Mavs from the beginning.  Was thrilled when he dropped to us.  This year, I'm hoping for...

1. Ayton
2. Doncic

After that, I kind of have Bamba, Bagley, Jackson, Mikal Bridges all about the same.  Don't want Trae Young.  Don't want Sexton because he's too much like Smith.  Don't want Porter (yet, I'll end up talking myself into him) because I just don't know enough.

Edited by fellside
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fellside said:

Last year, I wanted Dennis Smith for the Mavs from the beginning.  Was thrilled when he dropped to us.  This year, I'm hoping for...

1. Ayton
2. Doncic

After that, I kind of have Bamba, Bagley, Jackson, Mikal Bridges all about the same.  Don't want Trae Young.  Don't want Sexton because he's too much like Smith.  Don't want Porter (yet, I'll end up talking myself into him) because I just don't know enough.

I wouldn’t hold your breath on Ayton or Doncic, but you won’t go wrong with Bamba, Jackson, or Porter.

44 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I wouldn’t hold your breath on Ayton or Doncic, but you won’t go wrong with Bamba, Jackson, or Porter.

Can't go wrong with Porter? He has pretty high bust potential if you ask me. He's never looked good in a single college game in his life. You're basically evaluating him as a prospect based on HS play and his game has a lot of question marks right now.  I'm not saying he's a bad prospect or anything, but he has a ton of unknowns.

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I think people are sleeping on Porter. Unless he fell off during his year off he was already gifted with an NBA body and the ability to score. I don’t hold his couple of games with Missouri against him. I think he can really ball.

Going into the season he was no lower than the 2nd pick by most projections.    I'd be thrilled if he fell to the Magic.

Several draft tiebreakers settled today:

Mavs get 3

Hawks get 4

Bulls get 6

Kings get 7

Heat gets 16 (conveys to Suns)

Bucks get 17 (allows them to keep their pick)

Spurs get 18

Wolves get 19 (conveys to Hawks)

OKC gets 20 (conveys to Wolves)

Jazz gets 21

Pelicans get 22 (conveys to Bulls)

Pacers get 23

Edited by Machinator

Just now, Message Board User said:

Almost every mock I see has Bagley drafted before Bamba and I cannot see why.  Maybe I'm missing something but unless there's an injury issue I'm not aware of, Bamba's floor and ceiling is higher than Bagley's.

I dont agree.  I know it was summer league but Bagley was the talk of the drew league last yr KILLING pros.  bamba should be a great lane defender day one but those types of players are going the way of the dinosaur.    he will have to improve his offense a great deal to be a better prospect IMO

23 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

So Duke will lose its starting lineup. Carter joined the other freshmen - Bagley, Duval & Trent  in declaring for the draft - along with uber-douche Allen.

Barring injury it was almost a 100% chance that was happening before the season started.   All those freshmen were planning to be 1 and dones.

On 4/15/2018 at 9:24 PM, DanRydell said:

Yeah, Bamba is pretty limited offensively and the NBA is just not a big man's league anymore, especially a defense-first big man. Assuming good health, I would agree his floor is higher than Bagley's, but his ceiling is way lower.

Bamba has the skill set to become someone who is comfortable handling and shooting in the perimeter.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 7:22 PM, Message Board User said:

Almost every mock I see has Bagley drafted before Bamba and I cannot see why.  Maybe I'm missing something but unless there's an injury issue I'm not aware of, Bamba's floor and ceiling is higher than Bagley's.

Same here. Bagley strikes me as a guy whose lack of a consistent motor is a potential problem. His physical talent is tremendous so there's a chance he could turn into Chris Bosh, but I'd be really scared to draft him. He reminds me of that kid who went to Baylor a few years back (Perry Jones?) and even Anthony Randolph of LSU a decade ago. Both of those guys had all world talent, but for some reason they put off an air of listlessness.

I'm really high on Bamba. His length alone makes me certain he'll be a defensive stalwart within 5 years. People harp on his lack of offensive game, but I think his issues there are due to a lack of core strength as opposed to a lack of inherent coordination to develop an offensive game. He already has tremendous touch, which is rare for guys built like him. Now pair that with his athleticism, earnestness, and overall maturity, and I think he'll end up having one of the 3 best careers out of this draft (ie Rudy Goldbert with the ability to open up the floor with his shooting ability and rim run on pick'n rolls). 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

14 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Unless Bamba walks into a workout with a blunt in one hand and a 40 in the other, I have him equal to Ayton.

I didn't watch enough of Ayton to get a good feel for him, but his imposing size along with his skillset and touch make him a unicorn in my eyes. He's already much further along physically and offensively than Bamba. Seems like he has relatively short arms for his height though, so he may not end up being the defensive presence of Bamba. And I imagine he'll be much bigger in the future so we'll see how well he's able to maintain his agility and movement. But as it stands now he is impressive as fuck. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

26 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Unless Bamba walks into a workout with a blunt in one hand and a 40 in the other, I have him equal to Ayton.

I think Ayton is something else. Of course I thought the same thing when I picked Arizona to go to the championship game, specifically because of Ayton’s presence, but I’m still on board. I think that if Ayton were the same guy but a year younger that he’d be thought of as a generational talent rather than simply being arguably the best big man in what looks to be a great class for bigs. I think the sky is the limit for him. I think Bamba’s ceiling has him going to 5+ All Star games; I think Ayton’s ceiling is being the MVP.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I didn't watch enough of Ayton to get a good feel for him, but his imposing size along with his skillset and touch make him a unicorn in my eyes. He's already much further along physically and offensively than Bamba. Seems like he has relatively short arms for his height though, so he may not end up being the defensive presence of Bamba. And I imagine he'll be much bigger in the future so we'll see how well he's able to maintain his agility and movement. But as it stands now he is impressive as fuck. 

Yeah, he’s similar to Shaq in this regard. Probably the closest we’ve seen to Shaq coming out of college.

Really good article from the Ringer on Trevon Duval and his decision to go to Duke.

Duval is a slashing guard who can collapse the defense and find the open man on the move. He would have been best in a ball-dominant role similar to the one Collin Sexton and Trae Young had this season. Young had a usage rate of 37.1, while Sexton was at 32.9. Duval, in contrast, was at 21.3.

Duval was a poor fit in Duke’s post-heavy offense. Like many hyperathletic guards, outside shooting was his biggest weakness coming into college, even though it’s an essential skill for perimeter players on a team that plays inside out. Duval, who shot 29 percent from 3 on 2.9 attempts a game, was never able to make opposing defenses pay for packing the paint against Bagley and Carter. Considering how dominant the two big men were, it’s hard to blame Coach K for structuring the offense around them. The Blue Devils would have been better with a guard with a more complementary skill set in Duval’s position.

The fit between Duval and his star big men wasn’t much better on defense, either. A guard with his physical tools should have been pressing up on opposing ball-handlers and forcing them into turnovers and poor decisions.

Playing that type of defensive style would also have improved his offense, since a more uptempo game would have allowed him to use his athleticism in transition, as opposed to playing in the half-court, which magnified his poor outside shooting. Instead, Duke sat in a zone to minimize the defensive weaknesses of Bagley and Carter. Duval, who has an only 6-foot-3.5 wingspan, didn’t have the length to be an impact defender when he was forced to guard an area instead of a man.

Playing at Duke was a worst-case scenario for Duval’s draft stock. He couldn’t do the things he did well, while his weaknesses were on full display. That’s how he went from a potential lottery pick before the start of the season to no. 50 overall on ESPN’s Top 100 prospects list. Freshmen in that range typically go back to school to work on their games. Most NCAA coaches would love to have a sophomore like Duval running their team and would have tried to sell him on returning by structuring their offense to emphasize his strengths. The situation is different at Duke.

LINK

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Really good article from the Ringer on Trevon Duval and his decision to go to Duke.

LINK

Yeah that kinda player is never really gonna shine at Duke.   Its just not the kinda system K is gonna run

10 hours ago, d2o said:

Yeah that kinda player is never really gonna shine at Duke.   Its just not the kinda system K is gonna run

I actually think in most years that type of player would be ok or even thrive at Duke. Prior to last year, and the Jhalil Okafor year,  Duke's offense mostly depended on spacing the floor with shooters and relying on guys who could drive and kick. This has been his scheme over the last 15 to 20 years. They seemingly had no use for bigmen whose primary attribute was a back to the basket game. For many years I'd wonder why any big man would seriously consider them because that type of player was so poorly utilized by Coach K. How many times did you ever see any of the Plumlee brothers receive post entry passes while they were there. They were used as rim runners and offensive board crashers.   

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

teams i'm most interested in tonight:

cleveland (via brooklyn) - if that pick moves to the top 3, what does that do for their efforts to keep lebron?

boston/philly (via the lakers) - if i'm understanding the trade correctly, if this pick moves up to #1 or stays at #10, it's philly's.  if it moves up to #2 or #3, it's boston's.  imagine boston adding the #2 or 3 pick to this core...

the mavs - as a rockets and longhorns fan, i don't want them to get mo bamba so i'm rooting for whatever has to happen that makes that outcome the least likely.

phoenix - they've been awful for years now, but they do have a couple of nice young pieces in booker and jackson.  can they add the #1 pick in the draft to that core?

also, it's extremely unlikely, but it'd be hilarious if the pick the clippers got from detroit for blake griffin moved up to the top 3.

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

teams i'm most interested in tonight:

cleveland (via brooklyn) - if that pick moves to the top 3, what does that do for their efforts to keep lebron?

boston/philly (via the lakers) - if i'm understanding the trade correctly, if this pick moves up to #1 or stays at #10, it's philly's.  if it moves up to #2 or #3, it's boston's.  imagine boston adding the #2 or 3 pick to this core...

the mavs - as a rockets and longhorns fan, i don't want them to get mo bamba so i'm rooting for whatever has to happen that makes that outcome the least likely.

phoenix - they've been awful for years now, but they do have a couple of nice young pieces in booker and jackson.  can they add the #1 pick in the draft to that core?

also, it's extremely unlikely, but it'd be hilarious if the pick the clippers got from detroit for blake griffin moved up to the top 3.

The pistons keep it if it jumps to top 3, right?

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

holy shit Nick Gilbert looks like he just got off a bender vs what he looked like a few years ago when he last won it

He has some sort of degenerative condition.