Matt Campbell to USC?

alphahorn

Where does Matt Campbell coach next year?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Matt Campbell coach next year?

• Iowa State
    • USC
    • Ohio State
    • None of the above

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Or maybe Campbell saw thru Meyer and didn't want to coach with Urban Liar...

Btw....Lincoln Riley is not the only Coach wanted by NFL.....

"After college, Campbell stayed within Ohio and took a job as a graduate assistant at Bowling Green State University from 2003–2004.[6] While at Bowling Green Scott Pioli, then the director of player personnel for the New England Patriots, offered Campbell an interview for a job at the team, but Campbell declined.[2] "

It might be a couple of years but I don't see James Franklin lasting long at Penn State. Think that job will open up sooner than people thank, he has an abrasive personality and if it weren't for a blocked kick 6 returned for a TD against Ohio State, his tenure there looks a lot different.

57 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I repeatedly see coaches  that are mentioned as school "XYZ" is their dream job.  Stoops, Campbell, Urbs, etc. Aside from Herman, do we have younger coaches in the ranks that Texas is their dream job?  

Major Applewhite, will never happen, but I'd imagine Texas would be the job he wants most.

1 hour ago, Texas25 said:

It might be a couple of years but I don't see James Franklin lasting long at Penn State. Think that job will open up sooner than people thank, he has an abrasive personality and if it weren't for a blocked kick 6 returned for a TD against Ohio State, his tenure there looks a lot different.

I could see Campbell taking the PSU job if offered.

2 hours ago, Texas25 said:

I doubt it. I am far from a fan of Franklin's but the guy rarely loses to teams he shouldn't lose to. I don't think he is a plus coach that is regularly going to beat Michigan AND OSU, much less beat one regularly. But the rest of the Big 10 sucks and, unless Pitt is starting on a long term rise, PSU's OOC slat is always crap, so he is going to win 9 games most seasons. Beat OSU or Michigan every couple of years and he gets that 10 win season that keeps him his job. He also recruits well enough that he could get himself a Vince Young QB and win the Big 10 or even get a playoff shot. It probably takes a sea-change improvement in the Big 10 coaching ranks or a scandal to push him out in the next decade.

1 hour ago, SnowAggy said:

I could see Campbell taking the PSU job if offered.

Maybe so. Or maybe he's disgusted by the pedophile culture up there. I mean, we all like money, but I really don't think I could take a job at a place that continues to lionize Joe Paterno even after learning that he looked the other way and enabled the rape of children in PU's facilities and on team road trips. 

Ok, so, someone jagoff put the nagging thought in my head that Purdue could easily out spend Iowa State for a coach because Big Ten.   So, I went and looked them up.   As of last year, Purdue's athletic department made $2.2m more than ISU, that's it.   Two million dollars.  Let's break that shit out.

Rights and licencing (e.g. media deals), Purdue +$3.1M.    There's your Big Ten Network golden egg.

Contributions, Purdue +$4.1m

Other, Purdue +$1.2m

So, at this point, Purdue is up 8.4m in revenue on ISU, how did they only end up $2m above?

Ticket Sales, ISU +5m  and some students fees

So, Iowa State makes a bigger margin on ticket sales than Purdue makes on the Big Ten's media deal.   These two schools are basically financial twins, so the thought that one is able to outspend the other is just stupid.

Looking at Iowa, who Purdue and Iowa State both compete with and who makes $45m more than both, you can see where the revenues can still go up quite a bit too (# over Iowa State):

R&L - Iowa +$8m (logo sales are in here too)

Contributions - Iowa +$14m

Ticket Sales -  Iowa +14m

There is $38m that is basically driven off winning over a long period of time, since facilities are not drastically different.    

TLDR: If Campbell can keep Iowa State at 8+ wins a year he can sign his own checks until he wants to make the jump to the blue bloods.   Definitely room to grow there.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Levi Jones was just kicked out of USC. Wonder where he will go. Dude can ball. Played with Sam at Westlake. 

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/USC-Sophomore-linebacker-Levi-Jones-dismissed-USC-football-program--124688143/

Didn't his brother Cayleb transfer from Texas after an assault conviction?  Robert seems like he's been raising some good kids.

4 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Ok, so, someone jagoff put the nagging thought in my head that Purdue could easily out spend Iowa State for a coach because Big Ten.   So, I went and looked them up.   As of last year, Purdue's athletic department made $2.2m more than ISU, that's it.   Two million dollars.  Let's break that shit out.

Rights and licencing (e.g. media deals), Purdue +$3.1M.    There's your Big Ten Network golden egg.

Contributions, Purdue +$4.1m

Other, Purdue +$1.2m

So, at this point, Purdue is up 8.4m in revenue on ISU, how did they only end up $2m above?

Ticket Sales, ISU +5m  and some students fees

So, Iowa State makes a bigger margin on ticket sales than Purdue makes on the Big Ten's media deal.   These two schools are basically financial twins, so the thought that one is able to outspend the other is just stupid.

Looking at Iowa, who Purdue and Iowa State both compete with and who makes $45m more than both, you can see where the revenues can still go up quite a bit too (# over Iowa State):

R&L - Iowa +$8m (logo sales are in here too)

Contributions - Iowa +$14m

Ticket Sales -  Iowa +14m

There is $38m that is basically driven off winning over a long period of time, since facilities are not drastically different.    

TLDR: If Campbell can keep Iowa State at 8+ wins a year he can sign his own checks until he wants to make the jump to the blue bloods.   Definitely room to grow there.

It looks that for 2018, going to the end of the GoR's, [2025], the Boilermakers can outbid the Cyclones, if the schools chose to...

Purdue - (plus 3rd tier):  $51 million * (included 3rd tier)...

Jun 22, 2018 - The Big Ten just crossed a major money milestone ... They're generally the biggest source of revenue for an athletic department's budget, but ...

Iowa State - (minus 3rd tier): $36 million + (whatever 3rd tier earns)...

The Big 12 generated nearly $365 million in revenue for the 2017-18 ... AP Published 1:26 p.m. ET June 1, 2018 | Updated 6:40 p.m. ET June 1, 2018 ... had another record revenue year, and the money isexpected to keep increasing in the near future. ... Revenue generated from eight Big 12 football teams going to bowl ...

7 hours ago, texaslong said:

He hated Strong right, or was it Texas?

Since his brother's assault incident at UT, where he left on pretty bad terms, the Jones family have not been huge fans of UT. Honestly, the incident seems pretty minor-a misdemeanor arrest for public intoxication. Perhaps there were other issues, although he allegedly did not report the incident to USC, and as you know, the cover-up is often considered worse than the crime.   

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 9:59 AM, The Triple Lindy said:

Campbell's guaranteed annual salary will increase from $2.1 million to $3.5 million, effective immediately. And he's not the only one getting a pay raise: Iowa State's athletics department also agreed to provide Campbell an additional $1 million for incremental raises for his staff.Nov 27, 2017

Iowa State announced Monday that Campbell had agreed to a new six-year contract worth $22.5 million.

He stays until one of the big midwest jobs opens up.

Best move for him. I can see UM, ND, or OSU being vacant in 2 or 3 years. Moving to USC makes no sense for Campbell.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:51 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

TCU used to be a C-USA team. WVU never won shit in the Big East until Miami and VA Tech bolted for the ACC. Now they're threatening to win a B12 championship. (What a feather in the conference cap that would be!)

The conference commissioner isn't thinking two years ahead, he's thinking twenty years ahead. Executives have to think of the big picture, unlike fans who are only looking for immediate gratification. 

BTW the teams that left the Big 12 are not exactly showing that it is a good idea to lose your recruiting grounds. Nebraska sucks and is on there 3rd coach. Colorado is having a decent year but has sucked. Texas A@M is doing what Texas A@M does. Fire a coach every 3 years and hire the wrong guy. Missouri is doing Ok. However, Iowa State just pounded Missouri in basketball with our second string.

Also, I think Campbell gives us one more year. Possibly two. Iowa State is not what it was 10 years ago though. We are more set up for success now. Stadium is basically brand new. Getting ready for a 90 million dollar upgrade. Campbell has shown that winning is possible. Getting good money from the big 12 to afford new shiny things. I would say our football stadium and brand is on the same level as Purdue. No way he leaves for Purdue. I would say if Florida State chokes again next year. They could possibly take a run at him.

10 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Best move for him. I can see UM, ND, or OSU being vacant in 2 or 3 years. Moving to USC makes no sense for Campbell.

Is your UM short for Michigan??  

IMO.....Trying to decipher what job would attract Campbell away from Iowa State is a little different.  He really seems to shy away from the larger town scenario having turned down possible opportunities from New England Patriots and asst coach at ohio state.  If I'm reading the tea leaves right, he would probably prefer smaller college town situations like Pedo State,  Notre Dame,  Iowa, or maybe even Indiana.

If he goes to a larger town.... maybe ohio state or Pittsburgh??

1 hour ago, Andy1992 said:

BTW the teams that left the Big 12 are not exactly showing that it is a good idea to lose your recruiting grounds. Nebraska sucks and is on there 3rd coach. Colorado is having a decent year but has sucked. Texas A@M is doing what Texas A@M does. Fire a coach every 3 years and hire the wrong guy. Missouri is doing Ok. However, Iowa State just pounded Missouri in basketball with our second string.

Also, I think Campbell gives us one more year. Possibly two. Iowa State is not what it was 10 years ago though. We are more set up for success now. Stadium is basically brand new. Getting ready for a 90 million dollar upgrade. Campbell has shown that winning is possible. Getting good money from the big 12 to afford new shiny things. I would say our football stadium and brand is on the same level as Purdue. No way he leaves for Purdue. I would say if Florida State chokes again next year. They could possibly take a run at him.

Do you think the Big 12 is better or more prestigious now now than before those teams left? Were any of those teams exactly lighting it up before they left? Where do they stand in terms of revenue and long term security since they left?

I never said Campbell would leave for Purdue. In fact, I said the exact opposite. I also said I don't think he'll ever coach at tOSU. I did say that Purdue will be a member of the Big Ten a decade from now. I couldn't say the same thing about Iowa State and the Big 12. Who knows if the B12 will even be a conference in ten years? The teams that left did so because they had their doubts. I don't think those concerns were unfounded. Do you?

56 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Do you think the Big 12 is better or more prestigious now now than before those teams left? Were any of those teams exactly lighting it up before they left? Where do they stand in terms of revenue and long term security since they left?

I never said Campbell would leave for Purdue. In fact, I said the exact opposite. I also said I don't think he'll ever coach at tOSU. I did say that Purdue will be a member of the Big Ten a decade from now. I couldn't say the same thing about Iowa State and the Big 12. Who knows if the B12 will even be a conference in ten years? The teams that left did so because they had their doubts. I don't think those concerns were unfounded. Do you?

The Big 12 isn't any more prestigious, but neither are any of those teams.  Colorado has gone backwards in all tangible metrics.  Nebraska, Missouri, and Aggy cash bigger checks, but only one of those schools had any legitimate concern about stability, and the one who does was a huge factor in the Big 12's instability in the first place.  None of those schools are actually better at sports.  Nebraska is the worst they've been in anyone's memory, Missouri has become completely irrelevant not just nationally, but to their own fanbase, playing games against schools halfway across the country instead of regional rivalries.  Aggy got what they wanted, which was to say "nananana Texas", so I guess they're happy, but it's not like they're winning anymore games.  Granted, they never cared about that, so it's moot.

If Missouri doesn't court the Big 10 and Nebraska and A&M had actually committed, stability and perception of it aren't even a question with the Big 12.  Those schools didn't leave because they were worried about instability.  Shit, they created it.  They saw an immediate payday and bailed in an environment where panic, short-sightedness, and massive TV contracts ruled the moment.

The Big 12 wasn't unstable until the members who left started looking at leaving.  If they had just talked openly about their concerns and worked together, they would be getting paid on par with the Big 10 and SEC.  The 10 team Big 12 gets paid more than the Pac 12 and the ACC as it is.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The Big 12 isn't any more prestigious, but neither are any of those teams.  Colorado has gone backwards in all tangible metrics.  Nebraska, Missouri, and Aggy cash bigger checks, but only one of those schools had any legitimate concern about stability, and the one who does was a huge factor in the Big 12's instability in the first place.  None of those schools are actually better at sports.  Nebraska is the worst they've been in anyone's memory, Missouri has become completely irrelevant not just nationally, but to their own fanbase, playing games against schools halfway across the country instead of regional rivalries.  Aggy got what they wanted, which was to say "nananana Texas", so I guess they're happy, but it's not like they're winning anymore games.  Granted, they never cared about that, so it's moot.

If Missouri doesn't court the Big 10 and Nebraska and A&M had actually committed, stability and perception of it aren't even a question with the Big 12.  Those schools didn't leave because they were worried about instability.  Shit, they created it.  They saw an immediate payday and bailed in an environment where panic, short-sightedness, and massive TV contracts ruled the moment.

The Big 12 wasn't unstable until the members who left started looking at leaving.  If they had just talked openly about their concerns and worked together, they would be getting paid on par with the Big 10 and SEC.  The 10 team Big 12 gets paid more than the Pac 12 and the ACC as it is.

I agree with all of this. We had a lame duck commissioner who for whatever reason couldn’t calm everyone down. The presidents of the universities that left got caught up in believing they were somehow in no man’s land when nothing could have been further from the truth. Or like you say simply dumb and greedy. Whatever the reason it hurt all of them long term.

And once again it proves that good executives are worth every penny of their salaries regardless what some people say. 

Had we had leadership, AND admitted TCU and West Virginia into the Big 12. We would be at the very least equal to the SEC. and Nebraska, Colorado and Missouri would still be able to recruit Texas. Which I don’t give a shit what they say, they miss. At the same time it would have minimized the SEC foot print into the state (fucking aggy) for recruiting that they now enjoy. And one could argue that with such an arrangement we would essentially have cut the eastern, as well as the midwestern portion of the country in half. And it would be the Big 12 that would be the one encroaching into the SEC and Big 10 recruiting grounds. Rather then they into ours.

• Like 1