Matt Campbell to USC?

alphahorn

Where does Matt Campbell coach next year?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Matt Campbell coach next year?

• Iowa State
    • USC
    • Ohio State
    • None of the above

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Campbell’s new contract, which the Des Moines Register obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, states that Iowa State is owed $7 million if he leaves before Feb. 1, 2019. The buyout drops by $1 million each February through the contract’s Dec. 31, 2023 duration.

$7 million is between the couch cushion money for the Blue Bloods. 

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Were paying him, and will pay him more if he wants it

What's he making $3.5? How much more will be the biggest question? $1M more a year? $4M more a year? I am not saying they can't or shouldn't but ISU doesn't have the same pockets that most of the Blue Bloods do. $82 Million in revenue gets them #50 and roughly $35 Million behind Minnesota who's ranked 25th and $100 Million behind Ohio State. 

They are dead last in the Big 12 in revenue (excluding TCU and Baylor)

I happen to be one who doesn’t think the SC job is really all that great. Maybe 30 years ago, but not now.

Living there is a pain in the ass, and I sure as hell wouldn’t want to raise my kids there. And there are enough examples of athletes, celebrities and business leaders who feel the same way. They just earn enough to be able to afford to maintain their primary residence out of state, and go to Cali only for the work. Hell, with the state income tax being what it is. You would have to have a financial planner run the numbers before you would even know if the raise you just got is really all that much more.

So though SC is a blue blood. It applies only to football. There are far to many other universities that you can still win a title with, and enjoy the benefits of living there as well.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you think Campbell is going to Purdue, you’re an idiot.

You might be in denial, if you think $3.5 million this season, Campbell won't have an "interest" in listening to a pitch from Purdue, if the school is willing to offer revenue as:

13    Illinois    Big Ten    Lovie Smith    $5,000,000    $5,000,000    $1,000,000    $50,000    $0    $12,636,991
17    Iowa    Big Ten    Kirk Ferentz    $4,700,000    $4,700,000    $2,875,000    $600,000    $0    $22,396,250

Somewhere between what Illinois, & Iowa pays their current coaches, at a school that plays in the very winnable B1G west, you might have blinders on... (but I could be wrong)

27    Purdue    Big Ten    Jeff Brohm    $3,800,000    $3,800,000    $1,290,000    $180,000    $0    

38    Iowa State    Big 12    Matt Campbell    $3,500,000    $3,500,000    $750,000    $650,000    $0    $19,291,667

Why would a guy who recruits Ohio for his entire career move to SoCal?  Recruiting is about relationships and he'd have none there.  Big job, si, but that doesn't really make a lot of sense.

I'm not sure I'm buying the Ohio State talk either.   Campbell is currently a 500 coach in the P5, granted doing impressive things at a place with no history of doing impressive things on the gridiron.  But Ohio State doesn't need to hire 500 coaches, it is one of a handful of places that can get whoever they want.  Campbell is more likely the guy who replaces the guy. after he wins more.

Also, he pulled his name out of Tennessee  and a few others last year, Purdue is lulz....as is leaving Purdue for Louisville.

CSB- A friend refs mid-level college games and was an NFL replacement ref and was the side judge or whatever on the Broncos sideline. He said Del Rio (Broncos DC at the time) was the biggest asshole he'd ever encountered in any walk of life   

Ah, so perfect for this site.

16 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

You might be in denial, if you think $3.5 million this season, Campbell won't have an "interest" in listening to a pitch from Purdue, if the school is willing to offer revenue as:

13    Illinois    Big Ten    Lovie Smith    $5,000,000    $5,000,000    $1,000,000    $50,000    $0    $12,636,991
17    Iowa    Big Ten    Kirk Ferentz    $4,700,000    $4,700,000    $2,875,000    $600,000    $0    $22,396,250

Somewhere between what Illinois, & Iowa pays their current coaches, at a school that plays in the very winnable B1G west, you might have blinders on... (but I could be wrong)

27    Purdue    Big Ten    Jeff Brohm    $3,800,000    $3,800,000    $1,290,000    $180,000    $0    

38    Iowa State    Big 12    Matt Campbell    $3,500,000    $3,500,000    $750,000    $650,000    $0    $19,291,667

Like I said, we'll pay until it hurts.  Matt's current salary is irrelevant.  And at the risk of feeding the troll I'll reiterate; Matt Campbell will never be the head coach of the Purdue Boilermakers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Why wouldnt he leave for USC if they wanted him? It's a blue blood job in one of the best recruiting areas of the country with a national appeal.

He has very little interest in leaving the Midwest.  He’ll leave ISU eventually, but it’s going to be for a blue blood job between the Mississippi and Appalachians.

You guys might not believe this, but a lot of people have zero interest in coastal areas or the sun belt.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

He has very little interest in leaving the Midwest.  He’ll leave ISU eventually, but it’s going to be for a blue blood job between the Mississippi and Appalachians.

You guys might not believe this, but a lot of people have zero interest in coastal areas or the sun belt.

It isn't just a job on the coast or in the sun belt though. Its USC, 11 National Titles and the school with most draft picks of all time. Nearly unlimited talent and exposure.

If those are things he isn't interested in then what was point in moving up from Toledo to ISU?

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Let me summarize your situation.  Don't fuck up like Tech did.  You have never been nationally relevant and you are on the verge of breaking through.  You don't just need to pay him enough to not take anything other than a dream job.  You need to pay him enough to make Ames his dream job.  That's $5m a year for 10 years with a fuck-off buyout.  With an escape hatch if you don't survive the GoR/realignment fallout.  Come heavy, and go strong, or go home.

• Like 1

I think there is a misconstrued concept here...
I'm not saying Campbell will (or would) take the Purdue job, I'm implying this can "cost" ISU a lot to keep him away from a school as Purdue... (ala Gundy/ Tennessee talks)

There is much "chatter" of Campbell being a wanted item, at many programs, (and Purdue would at least show interest in Campbell, as will many others...) #CampbellToPurdue is no "lock", it can sure be a "key" to a very lucrative contract for Matt, either at Iowa State, or a new potential blue blood program as potentially USC or Ohio State eventually...

Edited by kopp0e

14 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I think there is a misconstrued concept here...
I'm not saying Campbell will (or would) take the Purdue job, I'm implying this can "cost" ISU a lot to keep him away from a school as Purdue... (ala Gundy/ Tennessee talks)

There is much "chatter" of Campbell being a wanted item, at many programs, (and Purdue would at least show interest in Campbell, as will many others...) #CampbellToPurdue is no "lock", it can sure be a "key" to a very lucrative contract for Matt, either at Iowa State, or a new potential blue blood program as potentially USC or Ohio State eventually...

And what we're telling you is that it's absolutely ludicrous that Purdue is the program that's going to drive up the price of Campbell.

• Like 1

I assume we will continue to up the ante to keep Campbell until we can’t.  He’s already turned down a job that has a national title in my clear memory, in Tennessee.

Again, I’m under no delusion that ISU is his dream job.  I’m, however, fairly confident that the job he eventually leaves for is not USC.

34 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Let me summarize your situation.  Don't fuck up like Tech did.  You have never been nationally relevant and you are on the verge of breaking through.  You don't just need to pay him enough to not take anything other than a dream job.  You need to pay him enough to make Ames his dream job.  That's $5m a year for 10 years with a fuck-off buyout.  With an escape hatch if you don't survive the GoR/realignment fallout.  Come heavy, and go strong, or go home.

If Matt Campbell says “do these things and I’m staying” we’re going to do them, if possible.  I have no doubt of that.

It will not go down like Tech and Leach.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

I happen to be one who doesn’t think the SC job is really all that great. Maybe 30 years ago, but not now.
Living there is a pain in the ass, and I sure as hell wouldn’t want to raise my kids there. And there are enough examples of athletes, celebrities and business leaders who feel the same way. They just earn enough to be able to afford to maintain their primary residence out of state, and go to Cali only for the work. Hell, with the state income tax being what it is. You would have to have a financial planner run the numbers before you would even know if the raise you just got is really all that much more.
So though SC is a blue blood. It applies only to football. There are far to many other universities that you can still win a title with, and enjoy the benefits of living there as well.

Haha

Gil

From the outside, this could very well be rational perspective.  Hell, I lived in CA a total of 15 years, 3 different stints.  I liked it very much, my wife loved it.  But when retiring, the analytics did indeed put a large penalty on moving to CA.  And for someone who is not culturally attuned to LA, it can be a bad gig for the family side.  Just sayin' that it is not a no brainer, or laughable that one would have reluctance.

Our two chief rivals are coached by guys who have 20+ years at their respective non-blue blood Midwestern outposts.  Both had opportunities to take more glamorous jobs.

Some guys want to be The Man at a place and build their own thing.  Some want to win as many rings as possible. Some want as much cash as possible.

Im not sure which category Campbell falls in, but I get the impression it’s a mix of the first two, and his tenure at ISU will be determined by which wins out.

20 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

This. I don't think he goes anywhere unless it's Ohio State or another Blue Blood in the midwest. But as of right now Ohio State would be the job that most likely would open up. 

Not a chance. 

Purdue is the Iowa State of the Big Ten. I don't think he leaves Iowa State to take that job. 

I think Purdue strives to be the Iowa State of the B1G.  That appears to be a step down

33 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Purdue should just drop football, if the school can't compete with Iowa State... 

This post defies logic; Campbell is hitting his stride in the ISU rebuild (or...build).  Why leave?*  If the answer is salary we'll match PU.  If the answer is facilities we're doing a $60MM expansion next to the stadium.  I understand that PU can afford more but why start over when Matt's getting what he's asking for in Ames?  If the answer is recruiting I don't see that PU attracts markedly better recruits simply on it's name.  It's Matt Campbell these kids want to play for, not ISU or PU.

*So, why leave?  To increase salary, facilities and recruiting exponentially which can only happen at a Blue Blood (ISU and PU ain't it), a place where the logo on the helmet does as much work as the head coach.  Yes, it could happen at USC but there is nothing to suggest in MC's path to ISU that that path ends in Los Angeles.  But there are plenty of signs that it ends in Columbus, South Bend or Ann Arbor.

11 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

This post defies logic; Campbell is hitting his stride in the ISU rebuild (or...build).  Why leave?*  If the answer is salary we'll match PU.  If the answer is facilities we're doing a $60MM expansion next to the stadium.  I understand that PU can afford more but why start over when Matt's getting what he's asking for in Ames?  If the answer is recruiting I don't see that PU attracts markedly better recruits simply on it's name.  It's Matt Campbell these kids want to play for, not ISU or PU.

*So, why leave?  To increase salary, facilities and recruiting exponentially which can only happen at a Blue Blood (ISU and PU ain't it), a place where the logo on the helmet does as much work as the head coach.  Yes, it could happen at USC but there is nothing to suggest in MC's path to ISU that that path ends in Los Angeles.  But there are plenty of signs that it ends in Columbus, South Bend or Ann Arbor.

ISU is a better job then PU. The only thing that Purdue has going for them that is better than Iowa State is location and a deeper pockets thanks in large part to the Big Ten Network. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our two chief rivals are coached by guys who have 20+ years at their respective non-blue blood Midwestern outposts.  Both had opportunities to take more glamorous jobs.

Some guys want to be The Man at a place and build their own thing.  Some want to win as many rings as possible. Some want as much cash as possible.

Im not sure which category Campbell falls in, but I get the impression it’s a mix of the first two, and his tenure at ISU will be determined by which wins out.

I agree with you. So far, Campbell has to be enjoying his tenure in Ames. He’s the king of the town. 

I think of how Kim Mulkey has stayed at Baylor to become their legendary coach. She could make more money at a higher profile program, but at Baylor she’s more than just the steward of the program. It looked like Briles would do the same...then rape happened. 

Program builders have a choice to make. There’s something to be said for making a program “your” program. Some people want to have buildings and streets named after them, which is much more likely at Iowa State than at USC.  But everyone has different personal goals. 

17 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

$7 million is between the couch cushion money for the Blue Bloods. 

What's he making $3.5? How much more will be the biggest question? $1M more a year? $4M more a year? I am not saying they can't or shouldn't but ISU doesn't have the same pockets that most of the Blue Bloods do. $82 Million in revenue gets them #50 and roughly $35 Million behind Minnesota who's ranked 25th and $100 Million behind Ohio State. 

They are dead last in the Big 12 in revenue (excluding TCU and Baylor)

Campbell's guaranteed annual salary will increase from $2.1 million to $3.5 million, effective immediately. And he's not the only one getting a pay raise: Iowa State's athletics department also agreed to provide Campbell an additional $1 million for incremental raises for his staff.Nov 27, 2017

Iowa State announced Monday that Campbell had agreed to a new six-year contract worth $22.5 million.

He stays until one of the big midwest jobs opens up.

Edited by The Triple Lindy

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Campbell is 0-3 against Ferentz. 

All I'm saying that the series is competitive.  But yes he's 0-3. Just like Ferentz is 11-10. 

Campbell's losses:

42-3 His first season.

44-41 in OT Clones were up 10 with 6 minutes to go.

13-3 this year.. tie game at the half, 6-3 in the 4th quarter. 

IF ISU were to beat us this weekend, they would most likely finish at 7-2 and tied for 2nd in the Big12.  Depending if it's OU or WVU they're tied with, ISU could be in the Big 12 championship game.  If that were to happen, and there's a lot of football left to play, Campbell would be as hot or hotter than Brohm.   There's no way Campbell would replace Brohm at Purdue;  he's going to get calls from the tier above Purdue. 

On the other hand, if Texas Kicks the crap out of ISU, the shine should come off a bit, and I think ISU has a real chance of bumping his salary and keeping him for a year or two.

Edit - Someone a few post up just said that ISU just gave Campbell a nice pay raise....So If texas beats ISU and the 'top' spots aren't open for him, I think he stays. 

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

5 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

On the other hand, if Texas Kicks the crap out of ISU, the shine should come off a bit, and I think ISU has a real chance of bumping his salary and keeping him for a year or two.

I don't predict that Texas will kick the crap out of ISU, but even if it does, considering his full body of work at Iowa State, I don't think the shine will wear off for Campbell.  Dude's a great coach.