Matt Campbell to USC?

alphahorn

Where does Matt Campbell coach next year?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Matt Campbell coach next year?

• Iowa State
    • USC
    • Ohio State
    • None of the above

12 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Why would a guy who recruits Ohio for his entire career move to SoCal?  Recruiting is about relationships and he'd have none there.  Big job, si, but that doesn't really make a lot of sense.

I'm not sure I'm buying the Ohio State talk either.   Campbell is currently a 500 coach in the P5, granted doing impressive things at a place with no history of doing impressive things on the gridiron.  But Ohio State doesn't need to hire 500 coaches, it is one of a handful of places that can get whoever they want.  Campbell is more likely the guy who replaces the guy. after he wins more.

Also, he pulled his name out of Tennessee  and a few others last year, Purdue is lulz....as is leaving Purdue for Louisville.

Campbell is from Ohio. He has no connection to The Ohio State University beyond that. Luke Fickell would be a better choice and if the Bearcats pull off the improbable upset of UCF on Saturday night then the Campbell to OSU talk really needs to die. Besides, barring a deterioration in his health that forces him into early retirement, Urban isn't going anywhere anytime soon, fantasies of opposing fanbases notwithstanding. 

If Brian Kelly gets ND to the playoff this year then he's probably locked in for at least another four years in South Bend. If Jim Harbaugh beats OSU and takes Michigan to the playoffs then he'll be there for at least another five years. I don't see an opening for Campbell at any of the big three Midwestern blue bloods in the near future even if he did have the resume, which I don't think he does. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Campbell is from Ohio. He has no connection to The Ohio State University beyond that. Luke Fickell would be a better choice and if the Bearcats pull off the improbable upset of UCF on Saturday night then the Campbell to OSU talk really needs to die. Besides, barring a deterioration in his health that forces him into early retirement, Urban isn't going anywhere anytime soon, fantasies of opposing fanbases notwithstanding. 

If Brian Kelly gets ND to the playoff this year then he's probably locked in for at least another four years in South Bend. If Jim Harbaugh beats OSU and takes Michigan to the playoffs then he'll be there for at least another five years. I don't see an opening for Campbell at any of the big three Midwestern blue bloods in the near future even if he did have the resume, which I don't think he does. 

So, you are agreeing with me then?

2 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

ISU is a better job then PU. The only thing that Purdue has going for them that is better than Iowa State is location and a deeper pockets thanks in large part to the Big Ten Network. 

Purdue is also in a major conference that pays them an equal share and will never self-destruct and leave them out in the cold. They also have their own conference network that shows their games and helps promote their university. 

No one is leaving ISU for Purdue. But no one will ever leave Purdue for ISU either. Unless they got fired by Purdue. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

So, you are agreeing with me then?

Yeah, I don't get the Campbell to tOSU talk anymore than I got the speculation by Buckeye fans several years ago that Tom Herman would eventually succeed Urban in Columbus. He had no connection to tOSU before he was hired as OC. He was more of a mercenary. I wouldn't consider his brief stint in Columbus on his rush up the career ladder as giving him an understanding of the culture of the program or making him a better fit in Columbus than somewhere else. The talk about Campbell seems every bit as unfounded to me. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Purdue is also in a major conference that pays them an equal share and will never self-destruct and leave them out in the cold. They also have their own conference network that shows their games and helps promote their university. 

No one is leaving ISU for Purdue. But no one will ever leave Purdue for ISU either. Unless they got fired by Purdue. 

Jesus Christ.  Major conference?  As opposed to ISU?  Big 10 fans are the worst.

44 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Purdue is also in a major conference that pays them an equal share and will never self-destruct and leave them out in the cold.

So does ISU. 

They also have their own conference network that shows their games and helps promote their university. 

Oh yeah...how valuable. Iowa State gets almost as much money plus control of their Tier 3 rights.

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

So does ISU. 

Oh yeah...how valuable. Iowa State gets almost as much money plus control of their Tier 3 rights.

To be fair, the Big 12 might self destruct, if UT and OU decide being Nebraska is attractive. 

But the idea that it isn’t a major conference is among the hardest of eye rolls.  IIRC, the Big 12 had a team in the playoffs last year, and the Big 10 didn’t.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

To be fair, the Big 12 might self destruct, if UT and OU decide being Nebraska is attractive. 

But the idea that it isn’t a major conference is among the hardest of eye rolls.  IIRC, the Big 12 had a team in the playoffs last year, and the Big 10 didn’t.

So long as the Longhorn Network exists, Texas is not going anywhere. I cannot speak for OU but I keep telling myself that they are chained to Oklahoma State.

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Please, not another realignment thread.

432..1... You rang..? 😉

23 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I really don't see Matt Campbell taking the SC job.  If you think Texas boosters are tough to deal with, you should see the Trojan boosters.  They direct everything over at Heritage Hall.

Matt Campbell might be the best hire the Trojans can muster, to compete against cross town rival UCLA turning things around with Chip Kelly leading the Bruins... 
#ItWouldBeAnEpicRivalry

37 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I really don't see Matt Campbell taking the SC job.  If you think Texas boosters are tough to deal with, you should see the Trojan boosters.  They direct everything over at Heritage Hall.

Wherever Matt lands I think there will be plenty of pain-in-the-ass boosters.  I just don't see it being SC.  I will say this for SC though, they're not in the SEC.  I don't think SEC style cheating enters into Matt's calculus for choosing his next job.  SC style, maybe...SEC style, probably not.

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Jesus Christ.  Major conference?  As opposed to ISU?  Big 10 fans are the worst.

I think you need to take off the inferiority cloak for a bit. I know you're an ISU fan but I don't think he was bashing ISU. As I said the Purdue and ISU jobs are one in the same. That isn't a knock on either school just a fact based on the pecking order in their conference, the size of the athletic department, and the name brand that the schools are. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If/when the Big 12 breaks up, ISU won't have a home outside of a mid-major conference. None of the other major conferences will take them. 

If the B1G was smart, they would add ISU and Kansas.

Damnit, don't suck me into realignment talk. 

3 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

Wherever Matt lands I think there will be plenty of pain-in-the-ass boosters.  I just don't see it being SC.  I will say this for SC though, they're not in the SEC.  I don't think SEC style cheating enters into Matt's calculus for choosing his next job.  SC style, maybe...SEC style, probably not.

Whatever man. Everybody knows ISU buys recruits left and right.

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m sure you’re in direct communication with the decision makers.

This isn’t 2010.

I guarantee you I've heard more of what Jim Delany has had to say on the subject than you ever have, not to mention the ADs of the biggest programs in the B1G. Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and A&M didn't flee the B12 conference because they thought it had a stable future.

Look around. Texas fans still talk about leaving. I'm not engaging in partisan fan arrogance. I'm just talking about reality. The chance that the Big Ten will be a conference in ten and twenty years from now is more certain than for any other conference. Purdue is a founding member. There is no chance that they'll ever be kicked out unless we divide the FBS into separate divisions and create four sixteen team superconferences to support an expanded playoff. Then both Purdue and ISU might find themselves on the outside looking in. 

While their current status as coaching destinations might be roughly comparable, Purdue is in a WAY more stable situation long term than ISU. 

Gil
From the outside, this could very well be rational perspective.  Hell, I lived in CA a total of 15 years, 3 different stints.  I liked it very much, my wife loved it.  But when retiring, the analytics did indeed put a large penalty on moving to CA.  And for someone who is not culturally attuned to LA, it can be a bad gig for the family side.  Just sayin' that it is not a no brainer, or laughable that one would have reluctance.

Why would anyone live in Austin when they could live in Brownsville? Brownsville is much more affordable

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I guarantee you I've heard more of what Jim Delany has had to say on the subject than you ever have, not to mention the ADs of the biggest programs in the B1G. Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and A&M didn't flee the B12 conference because they thought it had a stable future.

Look around. Texas fans still talk about leaving. I'm not engaging in partisan fan arrogance. I'm just talking about reality. The chance that the Big Ten will be a conference in ten and twenty years from now is more certain than for any other conference. Purdue is a founding member. There is no chance that they'll ever be kicked out unless we divide the FBS into separate divisions and create four sixteen team superconferences to support an expanded playoff. Then both Purdue and ISU might find themselves on the outside looking in. 

While their current status as coaching destinations might be roughly comparable, Purdue is in a WAY more stable situation long term than ISU. 

Let me get this straight, you are a 14 team conference currently, and the only way Purdue gets kicked out is if 4, 16 team super conferences are formed? Who else gets kicked out, your math isn't adding up nor is the fact that you added Rutgers to your conference that provides no value to your conference whatsoever. If the B1G took a vote today to replace Rutgers with Iowa State, the only member that wouldn't stand up and take that in a heartbeat would be Iowa (simply out of spite), much like aggy would do if we are ever offered or considered to the sec.

You are engaging in partisan fan arrogance, if it hasn't occurred to you yet, which it is evident you are being woefully ignorant, the Big 12 is 3rd among the P5 in revenue distribution. The conference is more stable than the Pac 12 in my opinion. The Big 12 has 8 teams that aren't leaving and 2 that have no reason to leave as it currently stands. If the Big 12 can pick off 2 quality teams it will, if it can't you may see teams start to shuffle again if the right offers arise, but Texas and OU aren't going to jump ship to jump ship. No reason to right now.

Colorado and Nebraska left because they were fish out of water in a conference that was trending towards being basketball on grass. Missouri and aggy just decided they were sick of being low rent hookers in the Big 12 and decided to go be high rent hookers in the sec, good for them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Texas25 said:

You idiots added Rutgers... Anything is possible.

TCU used to be a C-USA team. WVU never won shit in the Big East until Miami and VA Tech bolted for the ACC. Now they're threatening to win a B12 championship. (What a feather in the conference cap that would be!)

The conference commissioner isn't thinking two years ahead, he's thinking twenty years ahead. Executives have to think of the big picture, unlike fans who are only looking for immediate gratification. 

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

TCU used to be a C-USA team. WVU never won shit in the Big East until Miami and VA Tech bolted for the ACC. Now they're threatening to win a B12 championship. (What a feather in the conference cap that would be!)

The conference commissioner isn't thinking two years ahead, he's thinking twenty years ahead. Executives have to think of the big picture, unlike fans who are only looking for immediate gratification. 

No, WVU has been a historically successful football program given their resources (27th in all-time win %, 14th in all time wins) and TCU has been one of the better programs in college football since the turn of the century. We didn't take one hit wonders with the hope they were going to be something in 20 years. Nice try with that bit though. You won't find many teams that beat Miami from 1991-2003. WVU is 28-23-1 against Virginia Tech all-time... Since 2000 TCU is 174-64 (73.1%), didn't add them until 2012, we weren't taking a shot in the dark.

Y'all took a program with a .499 winning percentage, 1 conference title, and only 10 bowl games. Sounds like fortune cookie wisdom you're spewing about how your genius leaders can see things no one else can. You'd think if Rutgers was going to be good at something they would have done it by now. What is Rutgers good at? Do they have a bunch of Croquet national titles that nobody knows about? You comparing Rutgers to WVU and TCU is grasping at straws and that is putting it mildly.

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Why would anyone live in Austin when they could live in Brownsville? Brownsville is much more affordable

Dude - there are other places.  You want everyone in California?  Not crowded enough?  

PS I know you are a rational persona and are now just pulling my chain.  

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ok.  Cool.

Hook ‘em.  🤘

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Didn't that same C-USA team beat the 2010 Big 10 Champs in the Rose Bowl that season?

9 hours ago, Texas25 said:

The conference is more stable than the Pac 12 in my opinion. The Big 12 has 8 teams that aren't leaving and 2 that have no reason to leave as it currently stands. If the Big 12 can pick off 2 quality teams it will, if it can't you may see teams start to shuffle again if the right offers arise, but Texas and OU aren't going to jump ship to jump ship. No reason to right now.

Colorado and Nebraska left because they were fish out of water in a conference that was trending towards being basketball on grass. Missouri and aggy just decided they were sick of being low rent hookers in the Big 12 and decided to go be high rent hookers in the sec, good for them.

I do wonder if the PAC goes tits up, if adding the two AZ schools could be in the cards?  If the reverse were to happen, and we headed West, I always envisioned the conference bifurcated into East/West pods (making the time differences somewhat tolerable).

As for the split, I do remember frenetic Mizzou starting things.  They'd always fancied themselves a part of the Big10.  So they courted, were told to fuck off, and then stuck with no place to land.  The SEC took them because they opened up the STE TV markets.  ATM was the other, giving them all of the Texas market.  Those two giant markets allowed them to demand a stout TV deal based upon eyeballs on TV's (which isn't the case anymore as more cut cords).  Colorado was always out of place, but NU was pissed early when the Big12 nixed partial qualifiers (Which they'd always used to become the football power we used to recognize them as) and moved the headquarters to Dallas. 

Check out this part of Matt Campbell's Wiki page.....

Toledo

"Toledo promoted Campbell to offensive coordinator in 2010. Toledo made Campbell the permanent head coach at the end of 2011 when Beckman departed for the University of Illinois. He was 32 years old and the youngest head coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision.[8] Two weeks into the job, Toledo defeated Air Force in the Military Bowl.[2] Reportedly Campbell passed on a chance to serve on Urban Meyer's staff at The Ohio State University.[9]Campbell coached four full seasons at Toledo: 2012–2015, amassing a record of 35–15.[4] The 2015 team peaked at No. 20 in the AP Poll, including a victory over Arkansas.[9] "

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Check out this part of Matt Campbell's Wiki page.....

Toledo

"Toledo promoted Campbell to offensive coordinator in 2010. Toledo made Campbell the permanent head coach at the end of 2011 when Beckman departed for the University of Illinois. He was 32 years old and the youngest head coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision.[8] Two weeks into the job, Toledo defeated Air Force in the Military Bowl.[2] Reportedly Campbell passed on a chance to serve on Urban Meyer's staff at The Ohio State University.[9]Campbell coached four full seasons at Toledo: 2012–2015, amassing a record of 35–15.[4] The 2015 team peaked at No. 20 in the AP Poll, including a victory over Arkansas.[9] "

If Meyer wanted him, there has too be some skeletons in his closet.