Huge Hit In This High School Football Game

Vic Mackey

9 hours ago, futureman said:

all joking aside, you can’t just run around on a football field without taking stock of your surroundings.  that’s not how the game works.  if you’re oblivious to your opponent you pay for it.  this kid did.  lesson learned.  he’ll probably be more aware the next time he chases down a ball carrier in the flat. 

Yeah, that'll teach that 16 year old kid for not being awesome at football!

15 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

De-cleating an opponent is completely unnecessary in executing an effective block or tackle.  It serves no purpose other than to injure an opponent and gain high fives from teammates and oohs and aahs from the crowd.  It should not be taught or encouraged at any level.  It’s going to kill the game.  

You’re the voice of reason here. Just because he can legally make this hit doesn’t mean that he should. That starts with coaching. 

7 hours ago, coachkiss said:

Yeah, I’m the same way, and I have been for a while. It happened before my son got a concussion, but seeing what he went through made it even clearer.

Seeing my son at the dinner table crying because of the headache, seeing him take twice as long to do homework, seeing him not wanting to go outside because of the light, it was rough. I don’t wish that on any kid or parent.

Fark, for once I'm glad I don't have any sons.  I would have been one conflicted father.

38 minutes ago, DejaVu said:

You’re the voice of reason here. Just because he can legally make this hit doesn’t mean that he should. That starts with coaching. 

You can deliver a blow and intimidate without killing the guy. That kind of play needs to be gone from the game (as we've all probably grown up knowing it), that's already on life support whether it knows it or not.

What's most entertaining (and sad) about all the viral feedback on that hit -- the HS glory boys reliving their days on the gridiron when they always lit up their opponents because "hrrrrr".

I'd bet a house payment 90% of those toads were lucky to crack small town varsity, but in their minds they were just one unfortunate ankle sprain away from playing for Notre Dame.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Its not hard for me. My kids are not playing football. 

That's the way I lean.  However, I know how it would go.."but dad, you played ball"  and then the mother and sisters and everybodys' 3 legged dog would jump in the argument.

Honestly though, if I had it to do all over "back in the day", I would.  Would I do it today with as much faster and stronger kids are today?  Hell to the noes I wouldn't.

Edited by SHOOTER12

55 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's most entertaining (and sad) about all the viral feedback on that hit -- the HS glory boys reliving their days on the gridiron when they always lit up their opponents because "hrrrrr".

I'd bet a house payment 90% of those toads were lucky to crack small town varsity, but in their minds they were just one unfortunate ankle sprain away from playing for Notre Dame.

hqdefault.jpg

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Football really isn’t going to last long term. Twenty years ago (less than that, really) that play would have been celebrated by everyone from casual fans to Uncle Rico types.  This is a board created for college football fans, and the prevailing reaction here is to cringe watching it and question why kids should ensure that for a game.

Basketball and baseball (come backers off the pitcher’s head notwithstanding) are going to have a big uptick in popularity in the next generation to fill the void.  Or at least I hope it’s that and not soccer or something ridiculous like quidditch or video game esports becoming a thing.

You'll see the game evolve and become less violent. That our it dies.  I can deal with an altered game if it's safer. I loved playing football, but never got off on crushing hits to the other guy. I wanted to block him or make the tackle, but damn it was just a game.

Just saw the Tim green piece on 60 minutes last night. ALS is taking him away, and the thinking is lots of concussions may have help pave the way.

17 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

De-cleating an opponent is completely unnecessary in executing an effective block or tackle.  It serves no purpose other than to injure an opponent and gain high fives from teammates and oohs and aahs from the crowd.  It should not be taught or encouraged at any level.  It’s going to kill the game.  

This is pretty much it right here.  Having coached my own son in 4th grade tackle football, I was constantly reminding my kids it wasn't about going for the big hit, but more about fitting and driving and sustaining a block.  The only argument you can make for hits like these is to scare the shit out of the opponent, which is a strategy I suppose, but one that ain't for me.....leave that to the Urban Meyer wannabes of the world. 

Especially reviewing film against Dripping Springs...they had a big ole' white dude that instead of flowing to the ball as a DT, he just wanted to knock the shit out of my 2nd grade snapper.  Ball would be literally going the opposite of him and he wouldn't bat an eye to make the tackle on the ball carrier he just wanted to jack my little dudes up...

Anyway, Tackle Football is risky, but last I checked Life is risky.  I held out of enrolling my son in tackle until the last day because he was nagging me like crazy to play.  Through our first 2 years, we've had 2 mild concussions amongst our ENTIRE TEAM.  Both in practice from after the whistle BS.  

I'll never forget the waiver we had to sign pretty much saying YOU CAN DIE FROM PLAYING but we both signed and moved forward with it.  All of the concerns raised are legitimate, but nothing is more irritating than condescending parents commenting that they are better parents because they do not allow their kids to play tackle football.  I can respect parents that decide to do it, but don't act like you're better than the parents that put their kids in tackle football.  

The Seahawks Tackling video all coaches are supposed to watch for certification is pretty legit.  Teaches Shoulder Tackling like in Rugby.  I took pride in teach this style of tackling to my kids, which makes me better than all of you bitch ass wannabe tackle coaches on the board haha:

AUSTIN - Thousands of people have now seen the video of a block that occured during a playoff game between Hutto and McCallum high schools last week.

Now, the player who was knocked to the ground is saying it may have been a blessing in disguise.

"I was trying to make a tackle, and I didn't see the receiver,” McCallum senior Elijah Griffin said.

It was Griffin's last game as a McCallum Knight. A player from Hutto blocked him and knocked him to the ground.

"I didn't know what happened. People were running up to me, they're over me like, 'Are you okay? Can you talk?'” Griffin said.

Griffin went to the doctor, where they saw that the hit had broken one of his top ribs.

"I can tell you sneezing, coughing, yawning, breathing, all of that hurts,” Griffin said.

But the doctors may have also found something else.

"Then he says not to freak out, but 'there's something in your arm.' And he says that it could be a cancer,” Griffin said.

Cancer.

While doctors still have more tests to do to be sure, Griffin and his family think this hardest and last hit of his football career -- the one to actually send him to the hospital -- may have been worth it.

"I've been hit like that before, but this one, it took me to the hospital. And I haven't been to the hospital that many times, but for them to X-Ray me and for them to find this, I feel like it was meant to be,” Griffin said.

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/local/mccallum-football-player-hurt-in-viral-video-says-hes-thankful-for-the-hit/616025587

6 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Fark, for once I'm glad I don't have any sons.  I would have been one conflicted father.

Kid got one his soph. year.  Leg injury jr. year.  I loved watching him play more than anything but wasn't upset a bit when he decided he would no pursue in college.

Hell, big hits causing cancer now?  just end it all now.

Edited by mulletpelini

This is a football board right?  It seems like there are a lot of people here who don't like football.

Football isn't going anywhere.  The NFL is the most popular professional sports league in America and FBS is getting more and more popular.  

For those that think this kind of hit has no place in the sport or football is too violent...how do you process boxing or MMA?  Male humans enjoy fighting for sport and always have.  And always will.

MMA is for the Buffalo Wild Wings on a Friday night kinda crowd, same type that still celebrates these kinda hits. Boxing is not too different except for its historical romanticism and they wear actual gloves. Long term is probably harder on career boxers

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

This is a football board right?  It seems like there are a lot of people here who don't like football.

Football isn't going anywhere.  The NFL is the most popular professional sports league in America and FBS is getting more and more popular.  

For those that think this kind of hit has no place in the sport or football is too violent...how do you process boxing or MMA?  Male humans enjoy fighting for sport and always have.  And always will.

In boxing or MMA you see the hit coming. Blind side, crack back blocks are BS and have no place in today's game.  And yeah it's popular but it's not gonna  be as more and  more players die from CTE

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

In boxing or MMA you see the hit coming. Blind side, crack back blocks are BS and have no place in today's game.  And yeah it's popular but it's not gonna  be as more and  more players die from CTE

Also, those are grown men who specifically decided on doing that for a living.

The discussion has been about high school kids annihilating each other on Friday night over (essentially) meaningless games of football. 

Big difference there, I think.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 11:33 PM, Rip76 said:

If Sterns throws a shot like that on an Okie, we’re cheering our asses off.

I’m just saying.

Yep

and when the game morphs into 2 handed touch,

we will STILL be cheering our asses off!!

thats 2 handed touch football

not

2 handed touch your balls....