TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

I was clicking around on my World of Hyatt page and noticed there is a benefit where every $1 spent on AA flights also nets 1 Hyatt point. Does that mean I get both?

Suppose I need to book an AA flight for $1,000 and I use my Chase Sapphire Reserve card to book directly through AA. Am I correct that it would yield 3k Chase points, 1k AA points, and 1k Hyatt points?

I fly AA quiet a bit and often their direct prices are the same as Expedia or anywhere else. This seems like the best approach to maximize points in multiple loyalty programs.

I have Chase Sapphire Reserve as my primary credit card and utilize those points pretty well.  Seeing Capital One coming out with a new travel-centric card (though it doesn't seem all that awesome) and also wondering if Amex Platinum would be a good deal.  I don't do hotels that much (Vrbo/Airbnb is my preferred), but the Hyatt points that transfer from Chase are nice.

Point is, should I look into Amex or Capital One?

58 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

also wondering if Amex Platinum would be a good deal. 

Take a look at the benefits.   If you can make the $600 fee work then go for it.   I used to count the lounges as a $200 benefit but they are getting harder to get into from overcrowding.   I stopped in at the one at SEA on Friday and the hostess said "we have no seats left but since you are flying Delta I'd suggest heading to their club instead."

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

Take a look at the benefits.   If you can make the $600 fee work then go for it.   I used to count the lounges as a $200 benefit but they are getting harder to get into from overcrowding.   I stopped in at the one at SEA on Friday and the hostess said "we have no seats left but since you are flying Delta I'd suggest heading to their club instead."

Yeah, found out that first class tickets on Delta don't make a shit when trying to get into the lounge.  Amex Platinum was the actual entry fare, which is what got me started on this kick.  So far it doesn't really seem worth it.

I’m usually not at airports long enough to take advantage of the Sapphire enabled lounges, but I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago when (one of the few times) I flew first class on UA and was rejected from their lounge at IAH. I asked about the Sapphire access one and they said it was at the shit end of a non-United terminal and is officially the Lufthansa Lounge. LOL still not including lounge access as a perk in the equation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I flew domestically last week. Had a nice stop in the Admirals Club, then the Flagship Lounge in Dallas.

Lounge access domestically is possible, without a “membership.”

sure, but that wasn't conferred from having a premium cabin seat. 

in most of the world it's a benefit of the seat, without needing ffp membership, direct lounge membership, 3rd party membership, credit card benefit, or anything else.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Yeah, but to be fair, premium cabin = premium cabin everywhere in the world except America as well.

Sounds like a guy who has never flown 'business class' in Europe.  Our first is miles better than the blocked center seat bullshit.  Neither one compares to true business, though.

A few years ago I was at a small company and 3 of us flew to Dubai with the owner/CEO. On this particular Air Emerites flight/plane, I could not tell the difference between first and international business. First was $14k roundtrip, business was $4k, and coach/steerage was around $1100. That mother fucker booked himself first and said our budget could only afford us to fly coach. We were like “we could all 4 fly business for LESS money than what you are proposing.” We were overruled. 19-20 hours each way nonstop IAH to Dubai in coach, which was 80% Indians and Pakistanis trying to make their once per decade visit home. I grew appreciation for those who rode steerage on the Mayflower. 

• Haha 2

A few years ago I was at a small company and 3 of us flew to Dubai with the owner/CEO. On this particular Air Emerites flight/plane, I could not tell the difference between first and international business. First was $14k roundtrip, business was $4k, and coach/steerage was around $1100. That mother fucker booked himself first and said our budget could only afford us to fly coach. We were like “we could all 4 fly business for LESS money than what you are proposing.” We were overruled. 19-20 hours each way nonstop IAH to Dubai in coach, which was 80% Indians and Pakistanis trying to make their once per decade visit home. I grew appreciation for those who rode steerage on the Mayflower. 
Just because you couldn't tell the difference doesn't mean he couldn't. Sounds like you belonged in steerage.
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Just because you couldn't tell the difference doesn't mean he couldn't. Sounds like you belonged in steerage.

I should have said on this plane, the seat size and layout were the same. We peasants weren’t allowed to go up there mid flight so perhaps business folks got raw handies and in first class they used lube. 

6 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I should have said on this plane, the seat size and layout were the same. We peasants weren’t allowed to go up there mid flight so perhaps business folks got raw handies and in first class they used lube. 

It’s also water based, but ssshhhhhhh…. It’s a secret the plebs aren’t supposed to know. 

13 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Atleast that motherfucker (ultimately) foots the bill.  Corporate travel is one of the areas most rife for abuse.  I know dudes who will try to weasel their way into a $7k fare instead of a $3k fare on grounds of 1 flight arriving 2 hours earlier, whereas the real reason is they want their favored airline/program/whatever.

Meanwhile, if someone one their team needs a new $150 external hard drive, they gotta send a request through 3 layers of IT approvals.

13 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Atleast that motherfucker (ultimately) foots the bill.  Corporate travel is one of the areas most rife for abuse.  I know dudes who will try to weasel their way into a $7k fare instead of a $3k fare on grounds of 1 flight arriving 2 hours earlier, whereas the real reason is they want their favored airline/program/whatever.

Meanwhile, if someone one their team needs a new $150 external hard drive, they gotta send a request through 3 layers of IT approvals.

Back at my last company, I was flying out to the Singapore Airshow.  I wanted to fly Emirates.  Was going to be sweet in Business on the A380.  I'd done it on a previous trip to Dubai and it was amazing.

But, as I was booking my $4500 ticket, I got a phone call to travel.  I wasn't allowed to fly Emirates - I had to fly an American flagged flight due to the Fly America Act.  I protested because it was an IR&D program I was working on but they told me no and were pissed that they hadn't stopped my earlier flight.

So...instead, I ended up booking a business class flight on AA...ticket was $11.5K...yep, $7000 more and way worse.

But, it was a marketing program so they think money grows on trees I guess.

6 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Back at my last company, I was flying out to the Singapore Airshow.  I wanted to fly Emirates.  Was going to be sweet in Business on the A380.  I'd done it on a previous trip to Dubai and it was amazing.

But, as I was booking my $4500 ticket, I got a phone call to travel.  I wasn't allowed to fly Emirates - I had to fly an American flagged flight due to the Fly America Act.  I protested because it was an IR&D program I was working on but they told me no and were pissed that they hadn't stopped my earlier flight.

So...instead, I ended up booking a business class flight on AA...ticket was $11.5K...yep, $7000 more and way worse.

But, it was a marketing program so they think money grows on trees I guess.

Some of these shenanigans just make ya wanna chuckle. 

Long time ago our industry was hitting a rough spot so the (married) Prez gathered the sales team around.  Said things were tight so we should start watching our spending.  He pulled up a slide that comptroller made on the team's YTD travel & entertainment spending, which he apparently had not reviewed.

#1 spender - ~100k USD - him

#2 spender - ~95k USD - the subordinate woman he was fucking

#3 spender - ~30k USD - an actual sales person who needed to travel

The restraint against laughing which everyone successfully exercised was commendable.  These 2 jokers literally exposed on their Outlook calendar that they were doing shit like recruiting at the University of Hawaii.  (Shortly after they were both fired).

• Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I've done that flight in coach.  That's why I got Q Suite the next time.  

A reminder about lounge access w/ amex plat - the $200 airline credit amex gives you per year will pay for your lounge access. You've just gotta call amex and make sure that airline is in your profile. I think most US lounges cost 60$ to enter.

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 3/9/2022 at 10:09 AM, VABuckeye said:
Plus if you are fortunate enough to use an airport with a Centurian lounge that access comes with the Platinum Amex.

What airports have Centurion? Need to make sure my next international flight goes through there.

Good luck getting in one of those. Always packed to the rafters it seems. 

“Priority Pass” is even worse.”

International? Use the lounge access from your ticket.

Just curious why you would plan a flight based on lounge locations instead of simply picking the best flight?
Some people like to break up their flights. Esp long international flights. And if I have a choice to connect through an airport with a lounge vs one without I'll choose the first option

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Just curious why you would plan a flight based on lounge locations instead of simply picking the best flight?

I wouldn't, entirely, but I'm airline agnostic as we just buy tickets with points.  So this is a data point for that.  Can't really go many places direct from DIA, unfortunately.  And I'll never connect internationally through O'Hare again.

1 hour ago, midtown said:
2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Some people like to break up their flights. Esp long international flights. And if I have a choice to connect through an airport with a lounge vs one without I'll choose the first option

Flying direct internationally is tough through Denver, especially when you're paying with points.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Good luck getting in one of those. Always packed to the rafters it seems. 

“Priority Pass” is even worse.”

International? Use the lounge access from your ticket.

We've never had a problem getting into airline lounges or the Centurion lounge.  Priority Pass is another matter.  We do attempt to do direct flights whenever possible so lounge access isn't always a priority for us.  The Centurion lounges we've used are JFK and Miami.

ETA: Amex has changed the rules on number of guests allowed and the timeframe before your flight when you can enter the lounge.  No more big families going in on one card.

Edited by VABuckeye

Hopefully the new rules for entry will alleviate that.   It's not that huge a deal to me honestly.  We usually arrive at the airport 2 hours ahead of time.  When we fly internationally it is always business class so we're going to get plenty of food and drink if we want it there.

10 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

We've never had a problem getting into airline lounges or the Centurion lounge.  Priority Pass is another matter.  We do attempt to do direct flights whenever possible so lounge access isn't always a priority for us.  The Centurion lounges we've used are JFK and Miami.

ETA: Amex has changed the rules on number of guests allowed and the timeframe before your flight when you can enter the lounge.  No more big families going in on one card.

What are the new rules?  

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

What are the new rules?  

The rules change in February of 2023.  No more free guests.  Only the platinum card carriers get in free.  Each guest (family member aged 2-17) that doesn't have a card has to pay a $50 fee.  You'll also have to enter the lounge within a 3 hour window of your flight takeoff.  The 3 hour window rule does not apply to connecting flights.

Centurion Lounge Guide

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, midtown said:

Not necessarily points related but fuck the mask extension. Why?

Flight attendant's union was pushing of the extension hard.  Plus, it's one of the ways the .gov can still exert power over us.

There HAS to be a point soon where we all put aside our political, racial, economic differences and unite to simply refuse by the millions to wear masks on flights...right?  Feels like it should be coming.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Flight attendant's union was pushing of the extension hard.  Plus, it's one of the ways the .gov can still exert power over us.
There HAS to be a point soon where we all put aside our political, racial, economic differences and unite to simply refuse by the millions to wear masks on flights...right?  Feels like it should be coming.  
You start. Make sure you video the arrest and trial.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PilotsError said:

The bottom line is that the TSA and whoever is telling the TSA to extend the mask mandate needs to seriously read the room.   Even someone like me that faithfully masked up day one and got vaccinated/boosted; the whole bit and never complained at all has had it.  I've always kept the "if you don't like the transpo mask then don't fly etc" but even a few FAs I've mentioned it to have also said they are done with it.    The dumbest part is this will make things worse as far as mask fights etc.   The head of the AFA clearly has some kind of agenda.

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

Flying StarAlliance internationally out of IAH D-terminal whats the easiest lounge to use.  I think United operates clubs out of C1/33 and E11/12.  Which one is easiest to get to.  Been a while since I done it but I remember C is walkable (no train/shuttle), but also requires separate security clearance because of intl <--> domestic.  Its for my folks ticketed on LH-J

On 3/11/2022 at 1:42 PM, midtown said:

The bottom line is that the TSA and whoever is telling the TSA to extend the mask mandate needs to seriously read the room.   Even someone like me that faithfully masked up day one and got vaccinated/boosted; the whole bit and never complained at all has had it.  I've always kept the "if you don't like the transpo mask then don't fly etc" but even a few FAs I've mentioned it to have also said they are done with it.    The dumbest part is this will make things worse as far as mask fights etc.   The head of the AFA clearly has some kind of agenda.

Should be some sort of standard -

Flying business or higher? No mask

Flying Spirit or Frontier?  Double masks and maybe a fishbowl over your head. 

Flight is less than 80% full?  Spread out and no masks. 

• Haha 1